Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GERD/HEARTBURN SUFFERERS -- advice?

What do you take to control your heartburn, and how do you know it's not an ulcer? I have been on Prilosec for several weeks and it has worked wonders. I just stopped taking it a couple days ago and now the heartburn has come back. I do love spicy food, and I know that aggravates it. Anyway, wondering if anyone here takes something long-term for it Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2112/12/2012

For daily heartburn relief, I recommend Pepcid 10mg or 20mg every day before breakfast (I take 20). It's not as powerful as Prilosec, but it's much cheaper.

To find out whether you have an ulcer, see your doctor for an x-ray or other test.

by Anonymousreply 112/11/2012

Don't stuff your face. Drink more water. Walk a lot.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 212/11/2012

I would definitely see a doctor, because you never know if it's something serious. But I take generic Prilosec from CVS or whatever, I think it's called Omezrapole or something. Works fine for me. I was getting heartburn from everything for a while so I had an endoscopy which showed no problems at all, so I was surprised.

by Anonymousreply 312/11/2012

See your doctor. Get protonix, get an endoscope done to asses adage. A prescription for protonix is a must.

by Anonymousreply 412/11/2012

Once you are on a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec and Nexium, or their generic counterparts, getting off of them can be nearly impossible. Yes, see a doctor. Prevacid and that class of drugs are good, but will diminish in effectiveness if taken daily over a long period of time.

by Anonymousreply 512/11/2012

I was on generic Prilosec long-term and it worked well. Be sure to take vitamins daily as it can prevent the absorption of certain vitamins and minerals. If the GERD gets worse see a doctor about TIF Trans-oral Incisionless Fundoplication. I had that surgery in June and I have not had one more episode of heartburn or GERD. It is nothing short of a miracle for me as I suffered for years before this surgery was developed. Google it for lots of info. Best of luck to you!

by Anonymousreply 612/11/2012

Ranitidine prescription from doctor

Available for only $4 per month or $10 for three months supply at walmart.com - home delivery

free home delivery at walmart.com

very effective for heartburn

by Anonymousreply 712/11/2012

Perhaps you didn't get the memo, R7. We don't shop at Walmart here.

by Anonymousreply 812/11/2012

I take Zegerid, a bland of omeprazole and sodium bicarbonate, and it has saved my life. However...! If I skip a single day, I wake up in the middle of the night with reflux, choking on my own stomach acid.

Also, the magnesium deficiency you hear about with constant use of omeprazole is real. For me it causes annoying ocular migraines.

by Anonymousreply 912/11/2012

Good god I hope I never turn into you bitches.

by Anonymousreply 1012/11/2012

Just you wait, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1112/11/2012

See your doctor. He will likely prescribe you a ppi, but I wouldn't stay on it for too long. I started out on one, but I didn't like the idea of taking it long term, so I tapered down and gradually began to control it with diet. That's the only way to do it, if you ask me. Staying on those drugs for too long can cause major problems.

by Anonymousreply 1212/11/2012

I only get it if I eat too much and too late in the day. Another way to avoid it is to sleep it a more upright position, with your torso elevated.

by Anonymousreply 1312/11/2012

What R4 said. Protonix is a lifesaver. Just make sure to get your bone checked every year because long term PPI usage can leach calcium from your bones.

by Anonymousreply 1412/11/2012

Pepcid works for me. I have a herniated stomach. It comes and goes.

by Anonymousreply 1512/11/2012

I can't eat late at night. I can't eat sweets. No more alcohol, just wine once in a while. If I have a spell of it, I take something over the counter and it helps.

But honestly I get it when I over eat or eat too fast, I get it from eating dessert. Like at Thanksgiving, I had to have that late night piece of chocolate cake. and cold milk. Couldn't sleep all night. miserable.

by Anonymousreply 1612/11/2012

Go to a mattress store and get bed risers that raise the head of your bed up....it helped me and was a cheap solution that my doctor told me about.

by Anonymousreply 1712/11/2012

I have had GERD that comes and goes, since I was in college. Never EVER eat late at night. It is the kiss of death. I used to be one for late-night snacking...no more. No more coffee. No more red wine except rarely. No more fun stuff. On the plus side, I don't feel like acid is washing up my neck any longer. :(

by Anonymousreply 1812/12/2012

I'm 58 and fat, and I've used generic Rantidine for years. When I lose weight, I don't need it, then when I gain the weight back, I have to take it again. I have put the head of my bed on 4" blocks, and that helps prevent the acid reflux at night. I take the acid blocker when going to bed also. I was waking up with sore throat and sensitive, sharp feeling teeth, and it took me a long time to realize that acid was coming up at night. One night I was dreaming that I was drowning, and I woke up with the acid getting into my lungs, and it then that I knew what was happening in my sleep.The Rantidine is what works for me. Tried other general acid blockers/acid reducers without the same relief. Good Luck! and Good Health!

by Anonymousreply 1912/12/2012

Drink a lot of water. I've found a glass about 1/2 hour before bed helps. I know it can be annoying getting up to piss more often but that only lasted a few nights for me, or if I miss a few nights. I take a generic prilosic before breakfast and after dinner as well.

Does anyone have the problem of the regurgitating while bent over?. When I'm cleaning or even simply picking something up "juice" comes up my throat. One of the most disgusting things.

by Anonymousreply 2012/12/2012

What the others have said. I have to really watch what I eat - no acidic foods (tomato sauce especially), no peppers of any kind, no fried or fatty foods. Limit alcohol, and if you smoke, stop. I gave up coffee and tea, but am now back to 1 cup of coffee in the morning and herbal tea in the afternoon.

If it's an ulcer you'll need antibiotics to clear it up. Also, don't take ibuprofen, as it can lead to bleeding.

by Anonymousreply 2112/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.