and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees are

Albert King.

Randy Newman.

Public Enemy.

Donna Summer.

by Anonymousreply 12002/02/2013

Newman gets in for "Short People"? What about Rick Dees for "Disco Duck"?

by Anonymousreply 112/11/2012

It's about flippin' time for Heart. The RRHOF was pretty much done with inducting major 70s acts and had moved on to 80s and 90s ones.

by Anonymousreply 212/11/2012

Melissa Manchester! Cyndi Lauper! Kim Carnes!

by Anonymousreply 312/11/2012

Who gives a fuck?

by Anonymousreply 412/11/2012

[quote]Newman gets in for "Short People"?

Leave it to R1 to prove DLers don't know shit about music.

by Anonymousreply 512/11/2012

You don't shit about music if you think Randy Newman is getting in because of that song. He has a long and storied history of making great albums that few people listened to. He also writes beautiful scores for movies. He's funny and a pretty good piano player. Not a great singer but soulful. He's a fucking genius and you need to bow down, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 612/11/2012

Miami should build a competing Disco Hall Of Fame, one which would also feature electro, latin, hip-hop and afro/cuban music.

You KNOW they would have the best celebration concerts every year (metal detectors and drug-sniffing dogs optional).

by Anonymousreply 712/11/2012

It's too bad they didn't induct Donna Summer when she was still alive. She deserved the honor before Madonna did.

by Anonymousreply 812/11/2012

So people have covered his work and been rewarded with hits? No?

I thought not.

by Anonymousreply 912/11/2012

Hits, R9? How about Tom Jones ' version of 'You Can Leave Your Hat On'?

'Mama Told Me Not To Come' by Three Dog Night?

And of course, there's this version by our DL saint:

by Anonymousreply 1012/11/2012

R9, what the fuck is your problem?

Randy Newman's film scores have earned him 20 Oscar nominations and two wins. He has won five Grammys. He's clearly well liked among his peers.

Have you heard of "I Think It's Going to Rain Today," "Mama Told Me Not to Come" or "You Can Leave Your Hat On"? Do any of those songs qualify as hits, dipshit?

by Anonymousreply 1112/11/2012

Linda Ronstadt?

Gayle McCormick?

by Anonymousreply 1212/11/2012

How do these people define rock and roll? Nothing against Donna Summer, but how is what she did really considered rock and roll?

by Anonymousreply 1312/11/2012

So one hit cover by Three Dog Night and Short People are enough to get you into the Hall of Fame? Sorry, the other songs listed were not radio hits. I guess I'm just one of the many, many people who think he's coasted on essentially the same melody for the past forty years, especially his soundtrack work. I'm glad he has passionate fans and defenders though. They've obviously influenced this unwarranted inclusion. I just think most people will shrug their shoulders when they walk past a Randy Newman exhibit at the Hall. It will probably consist of a pair of his glasses on a podium and Short People being played over and over again via the intercom.

by Anonymousreply 1412/11/2012

There's nothing rock about film scores. The again, there's nothing rock n' roll about the Hall of Fame.

by Anonymousreply 1512/11/2012

[quote]There's nothing rock about film scores.

Well if you only are watching movies made before 1952, then yes that's true. Lots of movies have rock and roll scores. Hell, it was John Hughes' bread and butter.

by Anonymousreply 1612/11/2012

Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift are eager to join too! Who do they have to pay?

by Anonymousreply 1712/11/2012

I hope they revoke Madonna (what a friggin joke)...ah who cares anyway?

by Anonymousreply 1812/11/2012

[quote]How do these people define rock and roll? Nothing against Donna Summer, but how is what she did really considered rock and roll?

Because the term "rock and roll" has come to encompass blues, pop,hip-hop/rap, country rock, etc. It's a catch-all term for American popular music. If it were to strictly adhere to narrow definitions of rock and roll, the addition of black artists probably would have stopped with Jimi Hendrix.

by Anonymousreply 1912/11/2012

R13, Donna fronted her own rock band in high school, Crow. They played in the same venue in Boston that Janis Joplin did, her idol at the time. Crow was good enough to be offered a recording contract. She turned it down to star in Hair, a rock musical. In 1979 she won a Grammy for Best Female Rock Performance. She was was nominated for a Rock Grammy twice again, the second time for a song specifically written for her by Bruce Springsteen, who said she's a great rock singer. Her 1980 album The Wanderer is all New Wave rock and it was critically acclaimed. The Rolling Stone critics loved her, often voting her high in their critic's poll, including #2 in 1983. She was the first black female to get into heavy rotation on MTV that year, with She Works Hard For The Money, a massive, enduring hit that was considered a classic crossover (R&B artist crossing over to rock.)

Dave Marsh, the editor of Rolling Stone in the 70s and 80s, is a big supporter and says she's as much of a rocker as Tina Turner. In her day, it was nearly impossible to for black artists to succeed recording rock. Donna says she would've tried to be a rock singer if disco hadn't happened, but that it would've been very difficult. With all the rock credentials she does have, and her massive commercial success (130 million albums worldwide), punishing her for her association with disco now would be racist, considering there was no real option for her to succeed as a pure rock artist anyway. At least one rock dj actually got fired for playing her Hot Stuff, which ended up winning the rock Grammy, and Rolling Stone named as record of the year.

by Anonymousreply 2012/11/2012

[quote]. I guess I'm just one of the many, many people who think he's coasted on essentially the same melody for the past forty years, especially his soundtrack work.

C'mon, admit it: you're basing your opinion ENTIRELY on his soundtrack work. "Mama Told Me..." "Short People", "Pants", "You Can Leave Your Hat On", "He Gives Us All His Love", "I Love LA"--none of these are in the least bit similar.

by Anonymousreply 2112/11/2012

of course they give it to her now. But she really wasn't known as a rocker, even though she aspired to be, her success was as a dance music artist. She did have a powerful rock voice, 'though, so I think she's deserving.

by Anonymousreply 2212/11/2012

Hey Miami! Here's a building in Osaka that would make a good starting point for the Disco Oracle Of Fame (D.O.O.F.).

Cover it in mirrored glass, add some lasers and hey presto!

by Anonymousreply 2312/11/2012

What r8 said!

by Anonymousreply 2412/11/2012

I think there were periods where rock and roll made a point of being against a certain movement in pop music, particularly the teen idol music of the early '60s, bubblegum and disco. But when you look over culture of the periods in question teen idol music, bubblegum and disco were the heartbeat of the times. It seems right that the best of the genre be honored without predjudice, like Chubby Checker, Ohio Express and Donna Summer.

by Anonymousreply 2512/11/2012

R22 Donna was on a path to getting serious rock credentials. HOT STUFF was played on WNEW which caused a bit of controversy at the time, given that it was during the "Disco sucks" backlash. But it was the first dance song ever to get airplay on a rock and roll station (The TOP rock and roll station in NYC)

THE WANDERER album got a lot of airplay on many rock stations, and some critics put it in their top ten year end best of lists. John Lennon praised Summer and THE WANDERER in an interview he gave shortly before his death.

Bruce Springsteen wanted PROTECTION to be a duet between Summer and him. I think he even wanted to produce it, but unfortunately his label wouldn't allow it.

by Anonymousreply 2612/11/2012

Randy Newman is obviously in for the Toy Story song.

by Anonymousreply 2712/11/2012

Randy Newman also did the theme song for MONK.

by Anonymousreply 2812/12/2012

Love it, R23.

by Anonymousreply 2912/12/2012

[quote] Donna fronted her own rock band in high school, Crow. They played in the same venue in Boston that Janis Joplin did, her idol at the time. Crow was good enough to be offered a recording contract.

So? What does that have to do with anything? She's not getting inducted for that work (which doesn't deserve it). She's getting inducted for singing about someone leaving cake out in the rain and a woman who works hard for the money. Her songs are NOT in any way remotely rock and roll. Neither is Randy Newman

by Anonymousreply 3012/12/2012

Bitch, bitch, bitch.

Don't you people know I'm the greatest in EVERY music form? I am so pissed it took so long. I should sue. I WILL sue. Just kidding. See my wife? Hot, huh? What? What? Ali knows who the real greatest is. Yeah. I'm just kidding. I'm not kidding. Who left this piss spot on the front of my chinos? Fuck!

by Anonymousreply 3112/12/2012

People like R30 bore the shit right out of me.

by Anonymousreply 3212/12/2012

I hate Randy Newman and think he sucks. I don't give a rats ass how many Oscars he has. RRHOF is a fucking joke.

by Anonymousreply 3312/12/2012

How messed up is it that Donna can't even be around to enjoy her induction? It's SO long overdue, and the fact that they're inducting her now just smacks of "too little, too late."

by Anonymousreply 3412/12/2012

[quote]So? What does that have to do with anything? She's not getting inducted for that work (which doesn't deserve it). She's getting inducted for singing about someone leaving cake out in the rain and a woman who works hard for the money. Her songs are NOT in any way remotely rock and roll. Neither is Randy Newman

What you don't seem to get is that the RnR HOF inducts acts of many different genres. There are rock artists, rhythm and blues artists, country artists, pop, etc. that have been inducted. It's not limited exclusively to rock acts.

by Anonymousreply 3512/12/2012

[quote] What you don't seem to get is that the RnR HOF inducts acts of many different genres.

I get that. And they shouldn't do this. I like Donna SUmmer, but she and all the other pop singers shouldn't be inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

by Anonymousreply 3612/12/2012

Well then, R36, perhaps you should send them a letter and suggest they change the title to The Music Hall of Fame. The induction of non-rock acts is certainly not a new thing.

by Anonymousreply 3712/12/2012

[quote] So? What does that have to do with anything?

r13 asked what does Donna Summer have to do with rock, her band in high school shows her roots were in rock. I like how you shrug off how extremely unusual it was for a 16 yr old black girl to have her own rock band at the time, and not an obscure, unsuccessful one. The contract they were offered was a with a major label and it was a big one according to her. Of course she doesn't deserve to get into the Hall for that alone, but someone breaking down racial barriers like that is exactly who deserves to be honored. I've often wondered why she turned down the contract, she probably thought she'd never be allowed to be successful recording rock anyway. And now, 45 years later, people are still trying to close the door on her.

It's merely your opinion her music had nothing to do with rock. Bruce Springsteen, arguably a better authority on rock than you, says otherwise. Dave Marsh, a big name rock critic and former Rolling Stone editor, says otherwise. I remember discussion in Rolling Stone in the early 80s about black artists trying to break into rock, and for females, Donna, Joan Armatrading and Nona Hendryx were always being touted as the best examples. As r22 mentioned, she applied a powerful rock voice to all the music she recorded, and sometimes that was undeniable rock, her Wanderer album in particular. You don't have to agree with that, but if that's what Rolling Stone was saying, it's not a left-field, unsubstantiated opinion.

by Anonymousreply 3812/13/2012

I don't know why I bother reading music threads on DL. Half of you have no idea what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 3912/13/2012

OK, R30, why didn't you bring up Public Enemy?

by Anonymousreply 4012/13/2012

No one cares about Public Enemy on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 4112/20/2012

As for pop stars who should be inducted pronto, well, Janet needs to be on the top of that list. Her juggernaut Rhythm Nation 1814 album ALONE spoke on so many of the societal ills that are plaguing our country and our world today just as much, if not more, than when the album was released 23 years ago (violence against children, illiteracy, bigotry, homelessness...).

That, and the fact that just about every dance/pop diva of the last 26 years has been influenced by her.

by Anonymousreply 4212/21/2012

Janbot: give it up, she can't sing, she's not a songwriter or a musicianand she owes her career to Jam-Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 4301/28/2013

About time for RUSH too. They should've been inducted ages ago.

by Anonymousreply 4401/28/2013

I still can't believe how Deep Purple has been over-looked, year after year. They were one of the finest rock bands from the late '60s to the mid-'70s. Randy Newman does what he does well, but he is in no way "rock and roll." Deep Purple should have been in years before Randy Newman and Madonna. I expect the Village People, Captain & Tennille and Donny Osmond will probably get in before Deep Purple. Sad. The Rock 'n' Roll Hall of fame is pretty much anything but.

by Anonymousreply 4501/28/2013

RANDY NEWMAN?!?!?!?!?!

by Anonymousreply 4601/28/2013

Heart = Rock and very deserving of the honor.

Albert King = Blues God. Very deserving.

Randy Newman = Good, but FAR from rock & roll.

Public Enemy = Deserves to be in a hall of fame, but rock & roll?

Rush = Rock. Way overdue. Very deserving.

Donna Summer = Disco/R&B, but still very deserving. Had the chops to be a great "rock" singer.

by Anonymousreply 4701/28/2013

Randy Newman????? Good Lord, the man was Tin-Pan Alley, not even close to rock. Decent songwriter for lounge music, but still. I can think of many true rock acts that have been ignored year after year, and they put this douche in. What about The Smiths, Kiss, Deep Purple, Devo, Thin Lizzy, Cheap Trick, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden,Depeche Mode, MC5, The B-52's, Motorhead, Soundgarden, and fucking T. Rex? Jan Wenner has his head up his ass (nothing new).

by Anonymousreply 4801/28/2013

Heart, Rush, Albert King --- All rock, all deserve their spot.

Donna Summer --- Disco, but let her in.

Randy Newman/Public Enemy --- No, just no.

by Anonymousreply 4901/28/2013

It's about fuckin' time.

by Anonymousreply 5001/28/2013

I love Rush.

by Anonymousreply 5101/28/2013

I hate Rush, hate the lead singer's voice, annoying!

by Anonymousreply 5201/28/2013

Randy Newman? Really?!? Who's up next year, The Archies? 1910 Fruitgum Company? The Brady Bunch Kids? The Banana Splits? Shaun Cassidy? Leif Garrett? Meri Wilson? Linda Lavin? Linda Lovelace? Where will the madness end?

by Anonymousreply 5301/28/2013

Randy Newman gets in but Chicago isn't even considered?! Jan Wenner doesn't consider Chicago a "rock and roll" act, bur Newman is?!! I don't have anything against Randy Newman, but Chicago was one of the biggest rock groups of the 70s, and they should be included in the RRHoF.

by Anonymousreply 5401/28/2013

I love HEART with a passion.

by Anonymousreply 5501/28/2013

Judy Collins on the Smothers Brothers Show 1967 singing Newman's pop masterpiece " I Think It's going to Rain Today".

Imagine: there was a time when primetime TV could pause for a thoughtful, reflective song like this:

by Anonymousreply 5601/28/2013

Still no nomination for Chicago. Fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 5701/28/2013

Another Newman song that is pure brilliance is "Don't Want to Hear it Anymore".

Dusty Springfield sings it on her acclaimed "Dusty in Memphis" album. It is sooo soulful... note Newman's unusual way with words and the little story he weaves:

by Anonymousreply 5801/28/2013

r52, I'm a Rush fan, and I hated the songs where Geddy sounded like he was being raped by a horse after swallowing helium, too.

Their later work, when he toned it down, was great. He used the high range sparingly and without the shrillness.

They definitely deserved it, although it's really a racket anyway, like the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Public Enemy are in as a cultural force and if you are going to include hip-hop, I think they deserve it. Personally, I'd put NWA in before PE, because Ice Cube was a techinically amazing rapper, but I can see PE.

by Anonymousreply 5901/28/2013

A little too late, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 6001/28/2013

What about the fucking Carpenters? What about Cher? If anything, Captain & Tennille should have been in decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 6101/28/2013

R61 is off her meds again. If any of those fuckers ever get in to the Hall of Fame, they should just shut the fucker down.

by Anonymousreply 6201/28/2013

Cher should be in the Hall of Fame, but only in conjunction with Sonny.

by Anonymousreply 6301/28/2013

Blue Oyster Cult should definitely be in the Hall by now. The most unique and inventive American band ever. One of my all-time favorites. Though Toni Basil or Divine will probably be inducted before them.

by Anonymousreply 6401/28/2013

There should really be a DISCO HALL OF FAME.

First inductees -

K.C. & The Sunshine Band

Ohio Players

Bee Gees

Donna Summer

Earth, Wind & Fire

by Anonymousreply 6501/28/2013

R65 If the Disco Hall of Fame was anything like the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, the first inductees would probably be Willie Nelson, Shirley Temple, and Benny Goodman.

by Anonymousreply 6601/28/2013

I guess I am in the minority - I think Randy Newman is the only one on the list with any talent. I've been a fan for 25 years. Heart was shrill heavy metal and hurts my ears, never heard of Albert King or Rush (they must be pretty obscure), Public Enemy is one of the godawful rapper groups from the 80's, and Donna Summer was disco shit. Randy Newman is a terrific singer and songwriter. He should have been put in the hall years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6701/28/2013

Albert King is without question one of the most influential guitarists of the last century. Hendrix and Clapton adored him, and the former (who was left handed like King)acknowledged more than a passing debt. Duane Allman also was a huge fan. Bit of trivia: the famous opening to "Layla" is a variation on a King song. Clapton worried he might get sued for copyright infringement. Quite the opposite: King was thrilled with the compliment and admitted he stole the lick from an old gospel song.

Newman? Meh. I always found him rather overrated as a songwriter.

Donna Summer deserves every accolade she can get. A great singer and performer who is up there with Aretha and Gladys, and who slaughters the divas out there now. Beyonce? Girl please. You are no Donna.

by Anonymousreply 6801/28/2013

The Captain and Tennille? Are you fucking kidding? They were a borderline novelty act who only had one hit that anyone remembers.

by Anonymousreply 6901/28/2013

Yes, R67 - I think you're in the minority. Newman may have talent but he is about as much rock 'n' roll as Rosemary Clooney. There are a lot of people who should have been inducted already that have been snubbed: Sheena Easton, Kim Carnes, Olivia Newton-John, E.L.O., Stacy Q, Kenny Loggins, Paper Lace, Loggins & Messina, CHICAGO, Eric Carmen, Air Supply, Christopher Cross, Dave Mason, Deniece Williams, Tony Orlando & Dawn, The O'Jays. Get with the program Hall of Fame.

by Anonymousreply 7001/28/2013

R62 The R&R Hall of Fame became a joke when they let in bubblegum pop singer Madonna. She had NO business being inducted. At least Cher actually made rock albums in the 80's and early 90's. So if Vadge could be let in, then so should Cher.

by Anonymousreply 7101/28/2013

Jesus Christ, R70. Not to insult your musical taste, but the only acts worthy of Hall of Fame on your list are Chicago and Electric Light Orchestra. Most of the acts on your list are light dance music, or all-out pop. Stacy Q. belongs in the trash heap.

Unfortunately, I see a day when The Carpenters, Air Supply and Captain & Tennille are inducted, and it will be a sad, sad day. You can really stick a fork in rock and roll and call it "done" at that point.

by Anonymousreply 7201/28/2013

R14 is a seriously dumb asshole.

by Anonymousreply 7301/28/2013

I love most of the choices on this year's induction list: Rush, Donna Summer, Heart, Albert King, Public Enemy --- all phenomenal. I hate Randy Newman, but to each their own. I agree with the previous posters that both Deep Purple and Blue Oyster Cult should be in. Chicago, as well. Putting Randy Newman in the Rock Hall is like putting Slayer or System of a Down in the Country Music Hall of Fame. Newman just does not belong. Is Newman sleeping with Jan Wenner, or what?

by Anonymousreply 7401/28/2013

Paper Lace, R70? Are you for real? Aren't they the assholes that did 'The Night Chicago Died'? One hit in 1974, and they deserve to be in the Rock Hall? Please! Of course, I guess it's no more inappropriate than Randy 'Tin Pan' Newman. If they put Paper Lace in, I guess next would have to be Edison Lighthouse, huh?

by Anonymousreply 7501/28/2013

Damn, I just realized that Cheap Trick is not in the Hall of Fame. What the fuck? That was my favorite band in high school (1977-1981). They had a ton of killer songs. Robin Zander and Tom Peterson were hot as fuck too.

by Anonymousreply 7601/28/2013

Randy Newman creeps me out. I've always gotten a 'kid fucker' vibe from him.

by Anonymousreply 7701/28/2013

What about me? When am I going to be inducted? I can't wait to play "Wango Tango" and "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" live on the Rock Hall stage. Besides, I love guns, I hate Liberals, I hate gays, I hate girls over 15, I hate colored people, I hate Blue States, and I love that Rethugs don't believe the story about me shitting and pissing my pants for a week to dodge the draft. Those are my qualifications, what'cha think?

by Anonymousreply 7801/28/2013

Dream on, Ted. LOL. Who should be in is Joan fucking Jett. That woman eats, breathes, sleeps, pisses and lives rock & roll. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts for the Rock Hall Class of 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7901/28/2013

Styx. Well?

by Anonymousreply 8001/28/2013

Joan Jett, absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 8101/28/2013

Wow. Joan Jett is not already in? Damn, I guess I just took it for granted that she was. Fuckin' A, let's get her in!

by Anonymousreply 8201/28/2013

Next year, in honor of Randy Newman, the Rock Hall of Fame should induct that devil of wild man rock, Barry Manilow. Maybe Bette M. can "present" his honor to him.

by Anonymousreply 8301/28/2013

Note to the people. Kindly shut your pie holes about Chicago being inducted. It cannot happen. Acts named after parks, streams, cities, states, provinces, countries, or continents are inelligible for induction. That goes for the following acts (to name a few): Chicago, Boston, Kansas, Asia, Europe, Manhattan Transfer, Rammstein, Berlin, Portishead, Black Oak Arkansas, Georgia Satellites, Alabama, Bay City Rollers, Linkin Park, Nazareth, New York Dolls, Sugar Hill Gang, Japan, Green River, America.

So Quit your bitching about Chicago. It can't happen. Sorry, but "rules is rules."

by Anonymousreply 8401/28/2013

Randy Newman? Who next, Debby Boone?

by Anonymousreply 8501/28/2013

How the f*ck is Public Enemy in throw RRHOF? Guess they had to get the quota this year.

by Anonymousreply 8601/28/2013

2014 List In Advance:

1. Deep Purple

2. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

3. Kiss (even though I HATE Simmons)

4. Cheap Trick

5. The Smiths

6. Iron Maiden

by Anonymousreply 8701/28/2013

If you compare Randy Newman to Debby Boone, I'm proud to be an eldergay

by Anonymousreply 8801/28/2013

Have any other bands with all living but estranged members, like The Smiths, been inducted without reuniting?

Or do you think they would actually reunite?

by Anonymousreply 8901/29/2013

[quote]Janbot: give it up, she can't sing, she's not a songwriter or a musicianand she owes her career to Jam-Lewis

Took you all of a month to come back with this? You give it up, shithead. She CAN sing, has co-written most of her hits--several by herself (Black Cat, That's The Way Love Goes, etc.), she plays keys and she owes her career to her talent. Next.

by Anonymousreply 9001/29/2013

No R87 None of those. These should be the 2014 Hall Of Fame inductions:

* Janet Jackson *

* Diana Ross *

* Barbra Streisand *

* Cher *

* Taylor Dayne *

* Anne Murray *

* Yvonne Elliman *

by Anonymousreply 9101/29/2013

R91, No dear, just no. Your entire list (especially Babs) is the antithesis of Rock 'n' Roll. The women on your list are talented but they have no place in the Rock Hall of Fame. Barbra never came close to being rock. The closest she ever got was her duet with Donna Summer but that still was not rock. If Babs gets in, then it is only a matter of time until Donny & Marie/Captain & Tennille are in. The Hall is pretty much a joke already. Let's not pour salt in the wound by inducting people who clearly do not belong.

by Anonymousreply 9201/29/2013

R91 You're on crack. You clearly have no understanding what rock and roll means.

Also, you have shitty taste. Taylor fucking Dayne?

by Anonymousreply 9301/29/2013

If you want to get some sense of the crucial role that Randy Newman has played in American rock & roll, read the chapter on him in Greil Marcus's Mystery Train: Images of America in Rock 'n' Roll Music (5th ed. 2008).

by Anonymousreply 9401/29/2013

LOL, R91 Anne Murray? Barbra Streisand? ROFLMAO. Not close to rock. Taylor Dayne? If you blinked in the late 80s you missed her. Cher? Only with Sonny. Janet Jackson? Maybe eventually. Diana Ross? She's already in with The Supremes-leave it at that. Yvonne Elliman? Talented, a couple of hits back when, but no.

by Anonymousreply 9501/29/2013

R93 Agreed. My thought is that a lot of people consider anything that made the Billboard Top 40 after 1954 to be 'Rock'. It's quite sad.

by Anonymousreply 9601/29/2013

By R91's standards, they'll have to induct Judy Garland & Liza too. LoL. Nooooooooo.

by Anonymousreply 9701/29/2013

Linda Ronstadt & Cher deserve to be in.

by Anonymousreply 9801/29/2013

I'm glad Limbaugh got the honor. He's been taking a lot of heat over the last several years.

by Anonymousreply 9901/29/2013

I love Rush. I always thought Geddy Lee's voice was so cute and adorable in a chipmunk kind of way. If I were Canadian, I would be so proud to have Geddy, Alex and Neil as my countrymen. I love that band. Yay, Rush!

by Anonymousreply 10001/29/2013

I'm just glad that Elvis Presley, The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Doors, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, BB King, The Yardbirds & The Kinks made it in before that bubblegum twat Madonna. I am equally sad that she got in before Chicago, Deep Purple and Rush.

by Anonymousreply 10101/29/2013

R101 Ditto. Also, Joan Jett should have been in LONG before Madonna. Madonna isn't even worthy of being fisted and snuffed by Jett.

by Anonymousreply 10201/29/2013

All those people are so old. I bet the Hall smells like death and mothballs at the inductions. I never heard of most of them (I heard of Public Enemy, that's only one. I never heard their songs tho). Why isn't there anybody under 70 that gets in the Hall? What about Lady Gaga, Green Day, Maroon 5, Nickelback, Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, or Pink? They are more popular and have sold more downloads than any of those old people. Compare their YouTube hits to some of those oldies. The oldies only have 20,000 hits while Gaga has 450,000,000.

by Anonymousreply 10301/29/2013

R103, Aren't you supposed to be in class, or is your elementary school closed down due to shootings? Get real. To be eligible for the Hall, your first recording must be at least 25 years old.

by Anonymousreply 10401/29/2013

Idiot alert at R103.

by Anonymousreply 10501/29/2013

R70, the O'Jays are already in the Hall of Fame.

by Anonymousreply 10601/29/2013

What about Tina Turner? She deserves induction for her work after she left Ike.

by Anonymousreply 10701/29/2013

Tina Turner is already on the Hall of Fame - along with her ex-husband Ike.

by Anonymousreply 10801/29/2013

Lisa Whelchel recorded an awesome album in the '80s. She should be eligible by now.

by Anonymousreply 10901/29/2013

You made me laugh, R84.

by Anonymousreply 11001/29/2013

E.G. Daily, Kim Carnes, Gayle McCormick

by Anonymousreply 11101/29/2013

People! You do NOT have to be a rock n roll artist to be inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame! What don't you all understand about this fact? The hall is for artists of all genres, but it just happens to have "rock n roll" in the title.

by Anonymousreply 11201/29/2013

R112 - Obviously!

by Anonymousreply 11301/29/2013

In Honor of Rush...

My Ten Favorite Rush Songs:

1. Xanadu - 1977

2. 2112 Overture - 1976

3. Circumstances - 1978

4. La Villa Strangiato - 1978

5. Red Barchetta - 1981

6. Vital Signs - 1981

7. The Trees - 1978

8. Fly By Night - 1975

9. Free Will - 1980

10. Losing It - 1982

by Anonymousreply 11402/01/2013

R114 Yeah, they say all gay dudes like "Xanadu". I always say, "Yes, I do. Xanadu by Rush". That's the only Xanadu I care about. LOL. Good choices, but I would have worked "Subdivisions" or "Tears" somewhere in there.

by Anonymousreply 11502/01/2013

Rush sucked assholes. No talent at all. I never heard their songs but they look stupid and those stupid heteroes like them. Donna Summer & Public Enemy are the only ones on the list that should be there. Randy Newman - never heared of him. Albert King - Who? Heart -They only had that one minor hit in the 80s These Dreams. They sucked.

by Anonymousreply 11602/01/2013

Ho hum. They're just a big joke. Artists "inducted" are not necessarily better than those that aren't and just because they are, it doesn't make me want to buy their music.

by Anonymousreply 11802/02/2013

Where the fuck is The Captain and Tennille?

by Anonymousreply 11902/02/2013

[quote]Heart -They only had that one minor hit in the 80s These Dreams. They sucked.

Wow. You really should've done your research before you typed that bullshit. Heart had hit singles in the '70s, '80s and '90s

MAGIC MAN - #9 Hot 100 in 1976

BARRACUDA - #11 Hot 100 in 1977

WHAT ABOUT LOVE - #10 Hot 100 in 1985

NEVER - #4 Hot 100 in 1985

THESE DREAMS - #1 Hot 100 in 1986

NOTHIN' AT ALL - #10 Hot 100 in 1986

ALONE - #1 Hot 100 in 1987

WHO WILL YOU RUN TO - #7 Hot 1oo in 1987

THERE'S THE GIRL - #12 Hot 100 in 1987

ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU - #2 Hot 100 in 1990

by Anonymousreply 12002/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!