Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ian McKellen battling prostrate cancer.

He's fighting it, says it's contained. But Damn it. I thought he looked a bit pale on Colbert Report. I hate it when I'm right about these kinda things.

The 73-year-old "The Hobbit" star opened up to The Daily Mirror about his diagnosis, and also revealed that in addition to his hearing problems and cataract, he's been living with prostate cancer "for six or seven years."

“You are going to write ‘Ian McKellen is decrepit. He can’t see, he can’t hear he can’t pee, he’s having his teeth done,'” he told the UK paper, joking about his afflictions, which is fitting since he doesn't seem too worried about his health problems.

by Anonymousreply 1312/13/2012

“When you have got [cancer] you monitor it and you have to be careful it doesn’t spread. But if it is contained in the prostate it’s no big deal," he explained. [bold]“Many, many men die from it but it’s one of the cancers that is totally treatable so I have ‘waitful watching.' I am examined regularly and it’s just contained, it’s not spreading. I’ve not had any treatment.”[/bold]

The actor looked quite healthy at the premiere of "The Hobbit," and McKellen recently told The Huffington Post that despite his age, he didn't feel it would have been easier to film the movie 10 years ago.

...Cont at link.

by Anonymousreply 112/11/2012

Crickets... really?

by Anonymousreply 212/11/2012

I love him. Keeping him in my thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 312/11/2012

I think most cancer is prostrate - you're lying there on a hospital bed, you don't really move around all that much...

by Anonymousreply 412/11/2012

Get well soon!

by Anonymousreply 512/11/2012

Does this mean Patrick Stewart plays Gandalf in the rest of the trilogy?

by Anonymousreply 612/11/2012

He is most likely not "battling" prostate cancer. Rather he is most likely being monitored for low grade disease. I posted most of the below on another thread. Prostate cancer is a heterogeneous disease.

His prostate cancer is clearly a low grade pathology. High grade prostate cancers that have not spread should be removed because they are much more deadly (more likely to spread and spread fast). He probably had a biopsy of his prostate and was found to have a low grade tumor. If the Glesen (sp?) score had been high- he would have had it removed (resected) or been treated agressively medically ASAP. Rather with a low grade tumor he is being monitored and perhaps will never require treatment. As such he is not sick (or pale etc.)

The risk of surgically removing low grade prostate cancers outweigh the benefits. In his case it may never make him sick or put another way- become metastatic, which is what lethal prostate cancer is all about.

by Anonymousreply 712/11/2012

Thanks for the info r7. That's good to know. :)

by Anonymousreply 812/11/2012

[quote]Ian McKellen battling prostrate cancer.

he's prostrate now?

by Anonymousreply 912/12/2012

No crickets r2, there was a bigger thread made before this one. Actually it got about the same has this one.

by Anonymousreply 1012/12/2012

OP, prostrate means lying down, face down.

Prostate, with one "r" is the male gland located at the base of the bladder, surrounding the urethra, that the doctor feels with his finger when he does that little finger-fucking thing during your physical. This is the one applicable to Ian McKellen.

by Anonymousreply 1112/12/2012

Had what might be my last dose of radiation and chemo today. The tumor could not be safely excised by surgery. But I think it's gone now. Am much younger than Sir Ian and didn't expect this. Meanwhile, Gov. Jerry Brown, my idol, was just diagnosed. Gentlemen, early detection saves/prolongs lives.

by Anonymousreply 1212/13/2012

OP, Ian had a quote and article at today where he said this is very old news and being blown way out of proportion.

And he said he has been doing 'watchful waiting' for many years in fact.

No treatment, just watchful waiting.

Many prostate cancers never progress, and his apparently has not progressed over the years.

Some men opt for watchful waiting instead of treatment.

by Anonymousreply 1312/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!