Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The original release of "Aliens"

Was it a big deal? Was "Alien" already considered a classic and were people skeptical about the new movie?

by Anonymousreply 4112/18/2012

It was a much-anticipated sequel. No one considered ALIEN such a classic that a sequel was out of bounds. Particularly with Weaver reprising the role of Ripley (and getting an Oscar nom in the process).

by Anonymousreply 112/11/2012

My recall differs from R1. "Alien" was a cult classic, but not a real "hit," and James Cameron was still basically a nobody when he made "Aliens," so it wasn't THAT anticipated. The sequel was MUCH different, in every way, than the original, and similar to "T2" took the horror elements of its predecessor and mixed them with enough audience-pleasing action to make literally an entirely new film genre.

"T2," on the other hand, was MASSIVELY anticipated, if only because the special effects (completely cutting edge at the time) were so off-the-charts amazing.

by Anonymousreply 212/11/2012

It wasn't massively anticipated, but once it opened, reviews were great and word-of-mouth was fantastic. I remember seeing it twice on opening weekend.

by Anonymousreply 312/11/2012

Alien was a HUGE hit for Fox. Line ups and sold out for the first few weeks.

Alien was a true horror film.

Aliens is an action film.

I prefer Alien.

by Anonymousreply 412/11/2012

It made the cover of "Time" before it was released, so people were really excited. People had agreed by that time the first "Alien" was a kind of classic, and Cameron was an extremely hot director at the time because of the success of "The Terminator." But when reports came through that he had completely changed the genre of the first "Alien" movie--instead of making another haunted-house horror film like the first one, the second had become a military picture--people were really curious to see it.

Also, the title really fascinated people because the monster in the original movie seemed impossible to kill, so it nearly boggled the imagination that Sigourney Weaver would go up against a whole nest of them.

by Anonymousreply 512/11/2012

I was an already-jaded 22 year-old at the time and I thought it was jump-out-of-my-seat exciting, especially the last 30 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 612/11/2012

I was not that into horror or sci fi at the time it came out but now it's one of my favorite movies. While Alien is groundbreaking and original, Aliens to me is a lot more entertaining.

Director's Cuts of both films are better than the theatrical versions in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 712/11/2012

It was anticipated. The original Alien had been run on HBO and other pay cable channels, so many who hadn't seen the original theatrical release were by now familiar with it. By 1986, the John Hurt scene where the alien burst out of his stomach was classic. There was a lot of marketing and build up to Aliens. I went on opening night and there was a long line. The theater was absolutely packed. Everyone was screaming and jumping at many scenes. It was a fun atmosphere.

I agree with R5 in that the original was more of a haunted house movie. I've read that while Alien was a haunted house, Aliens was a roller coaster. I always thought that was a good description. I think Cameron was smart to turn the second one into more of an action film. He gave it his own spin. Everything after Aliens has been subpar to just plain awful.

by Anonymousreply 812/11/2012

The female protagonist in a balls to the walls action thriller was basically unprecedented, in that Ripley (although shown in her panties in the first film) is less a bimbo than almost all characters before her. The inclusion of Latinos, butch dykes and some good dialogue made this film come across very hip for Hollywood. The practical effects - the eggs, claws and jaws - looked disgusting and REAL (unlike cg), the action and editing were smart and unpredictable. I have never had an adrenaline rush from a movie like I did with Aliens. I liked T2, but thought Edward Furlong was a greasy lil' wimp, with Arnold serving as a kind of visual tax for seeing the finished film in its glory. Maybe they should get Cameron to do the Prometheus sequel.

by Anonymousreply 912/11/2012

My mother took me to see Aliens as a teenager. She loved the first movie. I had seen it on cable and thought it was creepy but too slow. When Aliens started off just as slow as the first movie, I was bored and pissed. Little did I know. By the end of the movie, I was sweating, holding my breath and gripping my chair. My mom and I both left the theater laughing but amazed at what a thrill ride that movie was.

A few weeks later, we went to see it again and brought my best friend (who hated scary movies). Early on, when Ripley has the dream in the hospital, my friend actually got up to leave the theater. I convinced him to stay and he ended up loving it as much as we did. To this day, it remains one of all of our favorite movies.

Great memories.

by Anonymousreply 1012/11/2012

It stinks of '80s cheese, but it was a satisfying action flick for the time. I mean Weaver got a best actress nomination out of it.

by Anonymousreply 1112/11/2012

Aliens is one of the rare sequels that is just as good as the first film. You can probably count those on one hand.

by Anonymousreply 1212/11/2012

The beginning of the downfall of big epic long wait on line, huge screen movie going, before the small box multiplexes took over. But, there was still enough big movie theaters to warrant the thrill of having a thousand people all whooping and hollering when Ripley delivers the classic "Get Away From Her You Bitch!"

by Anonymousreply 1312/11/2012

The immortal "get away from her you bitch!" had the entire theater hooting and clapping. Some people even stood up. It was quite a moment.

by Anonymousreply 1412/11/2012

LOOOOVE the Latina Dyke. Not a PC word, but she really was a butch DYKE in the best sense.

by Anonymousreply 1512/11/2012

Aliens did kind of cheese it up, the original was a surprise hit and still had that 70's realism which was on the way out. The best part of Alien was it was a totally unexpected surprise, went to see on opening night without any idea what to expects. Scared the shit out of my 14 year old self.

by Anonymousreply 1612/11/2012

I watched ALIENS again recently. It holds up very well except for the whiny Bill Paxton character, who is the kind of deliberately annoying character who wears out his welcome almost immediately. Also, the fact that the child is put in danger incessantly becomes too transparently manipulative.

But Weaver rocks.

by Anonymousreply 1712/11/2012

R16, Alien did have the big surprise, which is why Cameron making Aliens an action flick worked. We knew to expect the alien-bursting-from-the-stomach. All the frenetic action kept you on the edge of your seat. Lost of white knuckles at the theater!

by Anonymousreply 1812/11/2012

Wasn't there a trailer that announced: THE BITCH IS BACK!?

I read an interview with Sigourney Weaver some years ago where she said, once she heard that line in the trailer she was mortified, but it was too late to change it.

by Anonymousreply 1912/11/2012

I think that was for Alien3, actually.

by Anonymousreply 2012/11/2012

I think Alien and Aliens compliment each other quite well. The change of tone from horror to action works pretty well, IMO.

I wish they would have extended the part where Paul Reiser gets killed and shown it in graphic detail. Lol. Kidding, aside, Reiser's character is the perfect love-to-hate character. So slimy, annoying, and completely devoid of values, other than making a buck.

by Anonymousreply 2112/11/2012

Lines around the block. (I waited in them)

EVERYONE wanted to see it. The good reviews helped.

Alien scared the shit out of people.

by Anonymousreply 2212/11/2012

Adrenaline rush is correct. Like a great thrill ride. And very intense and well-directed. The slow buildup worked very well too, and the characters were believable and you could actually tell them apart!

by Anonymousreply 2312/11/2012

Wasn't it about 6 years between Alien and Aliens? I think Alien was a sleeper cult movie that gained a fanbase over the years, and not an instant hit.

by Anonymousreply 2412/11/2012

Which is the movie in the Alien series that shows the alien's va-jay-jay?

by Anonymousreply 2512/11/2012

[quote]LOOOOVE the Latina Dyke. Not a PC word, but she really was a butch DYKE in the best sense.

I was shocked to find out that she is the same actress who was in T2 and Bigelow's Near Dark.

Her name is Jenette Goldstein!

by Anonymousreply 2612/11/2012

Better pic link:

by Anonymousreply 2712/11/2012

This is the only time I have ever been able to stand watching Paul Reiser in anything.

by Anonymousreply 2812/11/2012

There's a great story on how a nice Jewish gal became a pinup girl for military Latina dykes across the world.

by Anonymousreply 2912/11/2012

I had such a crush on the actor who played Corporal Hicks. His name is Michael Biehn and he also was Kyle in The Terminator.

by Anonymousreply 3012/11/2012

Yeah, Biehn was mussy-melting hot.

by Anonymousreply 3112/11/2012

It was anticipated because there was very little information released about it, and people were excited to know what the plot was going to be. At the time people thought a creature was in the cat, in Ripley. They thought the story would be about the alien getting loose on Earth.

When it turned out to be another "in space" story, a macho trip replacing the lonely, moody fear of the first movie, people were both thrilled and a little disappointed. The Cameron over-the-top bloat versus the Scott serious-but-fuzzyheaded stylishness was a tough call for many viewers.

In the end, the reviewers pretty much helped swing the audience - on top of great word of mouth - that it was a rip-roaring good time.

No one thought that Alien was a rip-roaring good time. They thought it was better than that.

Of course, everything went to shit after the second movie ended.

by Anonymousreply 3212/11/2012

[quote] I was shocked to find out that she is the same actress who was in T2 and Bigelow's Near Dark. Her name is Jenette Goldstein!

Don't forget her role as an ill-fated mom of two young kids in steerage in TITANIC!

by Anonymousreply 3312/12/2012

Aliens was like a WW2 movie (with Sigourney in the John Wayne part) set in outer space. Without Weaver, it would have been very dated the moment it was released.

by Anonymousreply 3412/12/2012

They mostly come at night... mostly.

by Anonymousreply 3512/12/2012

Have you ever been mistaken for a man?

No, have you?

by Anonymousreply 3612/12/2012

I loved Vasquez, and it was so surprising to see a butch lesbian in a mainstream Hollywood film at that time. She was fucking badass.

by Anonymousreply 3712/12/2012

Think about the 6 year difference between releases. 1979. 1986. That's a lot of change.

by Anonymousreply 3812/12/2012

I remember the reviews were generally positive, but somewhat mixed. I think either Siskel or Ebert didn't like it, maybe even both. I'm remembering now their saying they didn't like any movie that shows a child being put at risk, as that little girl who had survived alone was. That was a strange, prissy complaint, and you have to remember they hardly ever approved of horror movies anyway.

So no, it didn't get the acclaim the first movie did, but most fans of the first also loved the 2nd, I certainly did. It was a state of the art space movie at the time. I thought great space movies would keep coming every few years as they had, but then they pretty much stopped.

by Anonymousreply 3912/12/2012

Somebody said "alien" and she thought they said "illegal alien", and signed up.

by Anonymousreply 4012/18/2012

R15 Played by a nice Jewish girl from England as I tecall.

by Anonymousreply 4112/18/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!