Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ian McKellan Is Battling Prostrate Cancer

Ian McKellen is battling prostate cancer

by Hillary Busis

Tags: Health, Ian McKellen, The Hobbitt Comments + Add comment

Sir Ian McKellen has prostate cancer. The 73-year-old star of The Hobbit discussed his diagnosis with the Daily Mirror yesterday, saying that he has been suffering from the disease “for six or seven years.”

“When you have got it, you monitor it, and you have to be careful it doesn’t spread,” the two-time Oscar nominee explained to the Mirror. “But if it is contained in the prostate it’s no big deal. Many, many men die from it, but it’s one of the cancers that is totally treatable … I am examined regularly, and it’s just contained, it’s not spreading. I’ve not had any treatment.”

McKellen also emphasized the importance of early detection, saying that there is no need for prostate cancer patients to have surgery unless the cancer spreads outside of the prostate. “I have heard of people dying from prostate cancer, and they are the unlucky ones, the people who didn’t know they had got it and it went on the rampage. But at my age if it is diagnosed, its not life threatening,” he said.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will premiere in theaters Dec. 14.

by Miareply 1312/12/2012

Well, this sucks!

by Miareply 112/11/2012

Prostrate? Oh dear.

by Miareply 212/11/2012

He almost but not quite gets it right. His prostate cancer is clearly a low grade pathology. Higher grade prostate cancers that have not spread should be removed because they are much more deadly (more likely to spread and spread fast). He probably had a biopsy of his prostate and was found to have a low grade tumor. If the Glesen (sp?) score had been high- he would have had it removed (resected) or been treated agressively medically.

by Miareply 312/11/2012

R2 I guess he got the news while he was lying down.

by Miareply 412/11/2012

Every man, should he live long enough, will eventually develop prostate cancer.

by Miareply 512/11/2012

r2, didn't you notice that OP corrected the spelling in the text?

by Miareply 612/11/2012

Uh, she "corrected" it by cutting and pasting the article from elsewhere. She misspelled it by entering the title of her thread, which, by my count, is her 908,762nd thread on this board.

by Miareply 712/11/2012

It's nice to hear of somebody winning the battle.

by Miareply 812/11/2012

Not to be cunty but why announce it? I would never talk about my health if I was a celeb.

by Miareply 912/11/2012

Sir Ian likes sharing, that's the way he is. He'll alert a few who know zero about the condition, and generally raise awareness.

by Miareply 1012/11/2012

Is that true r5? link?

by Miareply 1112/11/2012

R11 See the third paragraph under "Epidemiology." It says that more than 80% of men will get prostate cancer by age 80. It's been postulated that everyone has the potential to get it if they don't die from something else sooner.

by Miareply 1212/11/2012

*UPDATE* Ian MCKellan's agent says "Not So Fast!"

From NY Magazine:

Today at 10:30 AM

Ian McKellen Does Not Have Prostate Cancer By Jesse David Fox

Yesterday, the news went around that Ian McKellen has been battling prostate cancer for years. Well, McKellen's agent has since denied this, saying, “No, he does not have prostate cancer," and that his quotes were "taken out of context and from an interview from years ago." Either way, it's great to know he's healthy.

by Miareply 1312/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.