Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chantix

I took my first dose this AM. Dear Dataloungers, what have your experiences been. I had a little stomach upset at first, but could have been more due to chugging water. I feel a bit like a space cadet now.

by Anonymousreply 2109/11/2013

I'm interested to hear what other say OP. I am considering getting a perscription soon as well. Best of luck to you!

by Anonymousreply 112/11/2012

My sister did it. She felt no side effects, and said after a few days, you feel like you've never smoked in your life. You just don't want it. So don't fret. She was done with it after a week or two. You don't have to take it for 6 months or whatever the claim is. ps. she smoked for 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 212/11/2012

I want to try it too but those stories of suicides and psychotic breaks scare the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 312/11/2012

OP here. Still a space cadet, but it is not an unpleasurable feeling either. A friend of mine started today and he is experiencing the same feeling. No other side effects through lunch.

by Anonymousreply 412/11/2012

I tried chantix years ago, and had a few side effects. I couldn't sleep more than 30 minutes per night, but had very weird yet vivid dreams when I did sleep. It finally got to a point that I had to stop taking them in order to get any sleep and back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 512/11/2012

The sleep part is what I am most concerned with since I am not a good sleeper to begin with. What I've read about the dreams is that they are vivid, but not scary. That's been a problem with past attempts at quitting.

by Anonymousreply 612/11/2012

The dreams were vivid in that I could remember everything about them, and the scenes were surreal, with different aspects of life coming together in a way that made no sense at all.

I wish you the best, OP.

by Anonymousreply 712/11/2012

Before, pilots who took Chantix were grounded. Is this still true?

by Anonymousreply 812/11/2012

I took it and it worked like gangbusters. I'd smoked for ten years; I took the prescription for two months, and wham, I was done. That was almost five years ago and I haven't wanted a cigarette since. The nausea was the worst side-effect for me. Sometimes I'd have to lay down for awhile after taking it to calm my stomach. I did have some vivid dreams but they weren't anything terrible.

by Anonymousreply 912/11/2012

Bumping to get onto my home pc thread watcher.

by Anonymousreply 1012/11/2012

Did it work?

by Anonymousreply 1101/02/2013

R8, true, pilots aren't allowed to take it. I don't think truck drivers are allowed to take it either. At one point the Chantix help line included an automated message that people shouldn't drive at all while taking Chantix.

by Anonymousreply 1201/02/2013

My doctor won't prescribe it. He gets this haunted look on his face when you ask him why and just says there are too many side effects.

by Anonymousreply 1309/11/2013

It worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 1409/11/2013

Chantix is for people who believe there is a pill for everything.

by Anonymousreply 1509/11/2013

[R13] While the simple fact that patients who are unable to tolerate a medication (by their own measure, which varies widely) tend to make much more noise about it than those who have been pleased with it, your doctor's decision to not prescribe it within his practice may have been influenced as well by clinical data that the public at large never hears about unless they really go looking for it specifically. Pfizer wanted very much to gain FDA approval to market Chantix as an antidepressant as well. It had been thought that the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor would be the target for a novel new class of antidepressants. I know GlaxoSmithKline, and probably others too, had similar pipeline drugs for this indication addition to Pfizer's Chantix. Well, Chantix was the first to go into clinical trials for this purpose and, as I understand it, had a remarkably high degree of severe psychiatric side effects resulting in the bid to bring it to market for this indication being scrapped altogether. GSK also abandoned their candidate after this. These drugs had been anticipated to be the "next big thing" for depression, which is by and large treated by GP's nowadays, so word of this would have spread well outside the psychiatric community. I do know a physician who had previously prescribed Chantix (for smoking cessation), exercised caution after several patient reports of adverse effects, and opted to not prescribe it further after learning of the incidence of severe psychiatric side effects in the failed clinical trials. For the record, he does steer patients towards trying Zyban, rather than just telling them they're S.O.L.

I can't say whether he or your doctor or right or wrong, each is exercising what they believe to be their best clinical judgment. I would be especially cautious (this is not towards you, but anyone) about taking Chantix if I had any concomitant mental illness, however, even to a mild degree, and particularly if it was not being treated as well.

by Anonymousreply 1609/11/2013

My dreams tried to kill me!

by Anonymousreply 1709/11/2013

A coworker's husband used it. A great, totally normal guy. No history or hint of any mental illness of violence. 2 weeks after he started taking Chantix he beat the shit out of his wife and committed "suicide by cop" by brandishing a knife at them when they came to his house.

I think this will be a real test of the "antidepressants cause mental illness" theory that people hear about after mass shootings. The shooters are nearly always on something. You can say it's a chicken and egg situation when someone who already has mental problems is given the drugs and snaps but when people who are only taking the drugs to quit smoking, it makes you wonder what the fuck these chemicals are doing to some people's brains.

by Anonymousreply 1809/11/2013

I tried it a few years ago, Op. I had horrible, vidid, dreams every night. They were so realistic and disturbing that I stopped taking it.

by Anonymousreply 1909/11/2013

I also had problems with terrible vivid dreams but I also had rather violent and psychotic thoughts.I won't take it again

by Anonymousreply 2009/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.