Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Help for working out

I'm 48 and out of shape. Not fat but definitely could lose 15 lb. I cannot do high impact exercises due to an old ankle injury. Should I start out walking a mile a day? I'm afraid of overdoing it and having a heart attack or something. :-)

by Anonymousreply 512/11/2012

25 years ago I weighed 350, now I am at 190. Here's what helped:

Weight Watchers Working out

I started working out by defining a mile long running path from my apartment. Starting every day I would run as far as I could, tracking my progress as I went along. Each day I ran a little longer and then finished the mile by running. I was so ashamed back then that I did it at night for fear that people would judge.

Now I belong to a gym, have a trainer and try to support people who are just starting out on that path. Keep the faith and good luck!

by Anonymousreply 112/11/2012

Good sensible advice. Thanks. I'm going to do it too.

by Anonymousreply 212/11/2012

A trainer might be a good investment at first. Remember, though, that while working out will help you out, the shape you're in is about 80% what you eat. If you eat super-healthy and don't work out, you'll be quite lean.

by Anonymousreply 312/11/2012

It's hard to know if you are serious, OP. "Walking a mile" is hardly "overdoing it" territory for any reasonably healthy person. It is "underdoing it" by a considerable margin.

So you can't do high impact exercises? Is there any reason you can't do a pull-up, a bicep curl, a push up, crunches, go for a swim, ride a bike...

When you've worked your way up to running 115 miles a week, we can start worrying about your heart attack prospects.

by Anonymousreply 412/11/2012

Jazzercise! Fan dancing!

by Anonymousreply 512/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.