and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Flu Shot

Got a flu shot on Sunday at CVS and now I'm sick

I'll cut the first bitch who says it's a coincidence

by Anonymousreply 2812/13/2012

Its a coincidence

by Anonymousreply 112/11/2012

It takes about 2 to 3 weeks for the vaccine to work so you getting the shot and then the flu right after IS a coincidence!

by Anonymousreply 212/11/2012

If you had the flu, you wouldn't be sitting up in front of a computer starting threads.

by Anonymousreply 312/11/2012

r3 says the truth.

Myself, however, have never had a shot and I've never been sick. I'm debating getting one since I'm getting older (39) now but I can't quite bring myself to it.

Perhaps I'm irrationally afraid vaccines reduce the immune system's ability in the long run. I also don't like the mass marketing edge to it. It feels so corporate driven that I just don't trust it.

Then there's the fact that every year or so we hear in the news about how the "wrong vaccine" was distributed for that year's flu or some shit.

I can't brink myself to trust it just yet.

by Anonymousreply 412/11/2012

[quote] "Its a coincidence."

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 512/11/2012

I had the flu once as a teenager. The only time I was more miserable was after a skull fracture. I'll take any shot that gives me a chance at avoiding another bout.

by Anonymousreply 612/11/2012

Go ahead and cut me

by Anonymousreply 712/11/2012

you're not getting sick...it's your immune system responding to an intrusion. Although the intrusion in incapable of doing damage...in any event your body and immune system go on lock down. It can take a day fot it to pass.

by Anonymousreply 812/11/2012

R3 and r4, where does the OP say that they have the flu? They said they're sick.

by Anonymousreply 912/11/2012

Got a cough, sore throat and feel weak

I'm not sitting in front of a computer at a desk, I'm on the couch watching TV with my iPad

by Anonymousreply 1012/11/2012

If the flu's not likely to kill you if you DO get it, there's no compelling reason to get the shot. The risk is you can miss work days and feel like hell for a few days if you do get it.

Elderly, HIV+, diabetics, others with weakened immune systems should get it, as it can prevent deaths. Healthy people aren't at great risk (other than the discomfort/inconvenience).

by Anonymousreply 1112/11/2012

[quote]Elderly, HIV+, diabetics, others with weakened immune systems should get it, as it can prevent deaths. Healthy people aren't at great risk (other than the discomfort/inconvenience).

That actually depends on the strain. A pandemic flu, like the avian influenza in China, H1N1, or swine flu is actually more lethal in healthy adults.

Also, even if you're not in a high-risk population, if you are vaccinated and get a breakthrough infection, you will have a much milder time of it.

by Anonymousreply 1212/11/2012

OP/r10, you have a sore throat and a cough, not the flu. Have some chicken soup, you'll feel better.

by Anonymousreply 1312/11/2012

Thanks for pointing that out, R12. In the pandemic of 1918, it was teenagers and those in their 20's who had the highest death rates.

by Anonymousreply 1412/11/2012

[quote]That actually depends on the strain. A pandemic flu, like the avian influenza in China, H1N1, or swine flu is actually more lethal in healthy adults.

But the flu shot can't prevent and isn't made to prevent those kinds of pandemic viruses.

Hence the ability to become 'pandemic'. We don't have the ability to prevent them.

by Anonymousreply 1512/11/2012

r14, just like Edward Cullen!

by Anonymousreply 1612/11/2012

[quote]But the flu shot can't prevent and isn't made to prevent those kinds of pandemic viruses.

There's an H1N1 component in this year's vaccine. In fact, I think they've included it every year since the WHO got caught with its pants down in 2009.

by Anonymousreply 1712/11/2012

Also, new strains of influenza can immerge if a human (or more likely an animal) gets infected with two different strains. When the viruses replicate and start to assemble new particles, they don't get terribly picky about which genes go into which virions. As a result, they mix and match.

by Anonymousreply 1812/11/2012

You have a cold, not the flu. The flu comes on like a truck hitting you and flattens your ass within hours with a high fever, chills, coughing, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1912/11/2012

The flu shot is not a live virus and can't give you the flu. Some people react briefly with minor symptoms but it is your immune system reacting and kicking in. Did they ask you about allergies and do you have any? They say this flue is a bad one. Get your shots, never too late. Can give you some protection in subsequent years to similar strains if they appear.

by Anonymousreply 2012/11/2012

That trick you pulled right outside CVS shouldn't have cum in your mouth! He probably has the flu. Next time be far more discerning, find a rent boy and use condoms instead!

by Anonymousreply 2112/11/2012

I got the flu shot last year for the first time. Felt a little achy and out of the it for a couple of days. Nothing more than a nuisance. This year, I had no reaction to the shot. I had the actual flu back in 1996. I'd never felt so ill in my life. I started feeling a little ill at a friend's wedding. I left early, and within 2 hours, I was running a high fever, chills, aches, the whole 9 yards. Was out of work for 2 weeks, and it took another few weeks to fully recover.

by Anonymousreply 2212/11/2012

I had the first in the Hep B series today. That thing hurt like a son of a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2312/11/2012

They tell you when you get the shot, it isn't effective for the first seven to 10 days.

by Anonymousreply 2412/11/2012

It's effective within minutes

by Anonymousreply 2512/12/2012

Op here, was out of it for two days. In bed, fever, chills, no appetite, etc

Feel better today. I'm never getting a flu shot again

by Anonymousreply 2612/13/2012

Glad to hear you're better, OP. Never get a flu shot again, but we don't want to hear your sorry ass when you do actually get the flu one day. I don't know a single person who has every had a bonafide case of the flu who has said they'd never get a flu shot. If you've had the flu once you'll do whatever it takes to ever avoid getting it again.

by Anonymousreply 2712/13/2012

Same thing with me. I'd get the flu shot and then I'd get the flu. Bad bronchitis and aches and pains, couldn't get out of bed for a week. I stopped taking the flu shot and haven't had it since. I think it works on some people and doesn't on others.

by Anonymousreply 2812/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.