Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lena Dunham is an Insufferable, Entitled Cunt

Gwyneth is positively charming by comparison to this little rich bitch.

A $3.5m book advance for such wisdom as:

"I went to my first Women's Action Coalition meeting at age three."

"I've been in therapy since I was seven."

"When I was about nine I developed a terrible fear of being anorexic."

"When I was about nine I wrote a vow of celibacy.... I knew my mother had waited until the summer after she graduated [high school]."

"At 24 I felt like an old maid...."

"When I got to college I suddenly had the sense that my upbringing hadn't been very "real."

"Once I had a vegan dinner party which was chronicled for the style section of the New York Times."

by Anonymousreply 18903/18/2015

What does her pussy taste like?

by Anonymousreply 112/11/2012

Oh dear God, that thing is still here? Make. Her. Go. AWAY.

by Anonymousreply 212/11/2012

That "update" Gawker posted today is fucking *priceless*. Apparently she's insufferable, entitled AND overly sensitive, so she made the mistake of siccing her attorney on Gawker asking them to take down the quotes from her book. Bad fucking idea, bitch! This ain't Gawker's first time at the legal-threat rodeo, fellas!

by Anonymousreply 412/11/2012

"When I was about nine I developed a terrible fear of being anorexic."

Apparently anorexia NEVER became a problem for this pudgy unattractive no-talent whiner.

by Anonymousreply 512/11/2012

Who will actually buy AND read this book? Outside of cunty NYC-ers in her inner circle of course.

Between her and Fran Lebowitz, how do people make such obscene amounts of money on dispensing what is essentially blog material?

by Anonymousreply 612/11/2012

Ugh. I'm an ardent supporter of Girls. I really love it. But she may have jumped the shark.

by Anonymousreply 712/11/2012

her fame will be brief....just look the other way and it will be over soon (that said ...the show is actually ok...but she is just yucky.)

by Anonymousreply 812/11/2012

I agree, the show is well-written (Judd may have something to do with that) but her character is insufferable and entitled. But now she appears to be writing a book, in all seriousness, that sounds just like that obnoxious character.

by Anonymousreply 912/11/2012

I don't blame Lena Dunham for this as much as the asinine publishers who thought her drivel was somehow worth $3.7 million. My response to a book proposal like this would've been "GET A BLOG, BITCH."

by Anonymousreply 1012/11/2012

I've been watching Girls, now being broadcast in the UK, and I'm kind of surprised that it's run out of steam before the episodes have even reached double digits. At least on SATC they wrote subplots for Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 1112/11/2012

When the NYC art world bought this bullshit of her father, what else do you expect?

by Anonymousreply 1212/11/2012

The New Yorker ran yet another long profile of one of the Dunham family members a few weeks ago. This time it was her mom, the artist Laurie Simmons. They were also the first magazine to bring Lena to the public's attention back in November 2010.

by Anonymousreply 1312/11/2012

She recently wrote an insufferable piece for the magazine too, R13. I thought it was a parody until it went on too long and I looked at the contributor's name and realised oh, this isn't fiction.

by Anonymousreply 1412/11/2012

wow @r12's link. i can't believe her father is considered a serious artist. that was utter shite.

by Anonymousreply 1612/11/2012

This is what happens when parents say they'll pay for their child's grad school OR an indie film.

by Anonymousreply 1712/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 1812/11/2012

I started reading the New Yorker piece, and I couldn't finish because it was very unfinished,grating, and just not that interesting. The writing style was really rough. Girls probably has a big room of writers.

by Anonymousreply 1912/11/2012

Relax. We just hate you, R20.

by Anonymousreply 2112/11/2012

She gets sole writing credit most of the time. I watched the first season out if curiosity. I think the show is well written but the characters are so fucking stupid it's unreal. I mentioned this to someone in her late 20s who said the show was accurate and the characters reminded her of people from her seven sisters college. She also thinks the show is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 2212/11/2012

Lena needs to write about her closet case father. Perhaps she can analyze that for us peons?

IITRC, one comment, in either her movie or her TV show, refers to her mom dating a lot of gay men.

Write what you know about, I guess, huh, Lena One Note?

by Anonymousreply 2312/11/2012

She writes what she knows about. It's not that complicated. In her case, her parents' connections and money made it possible for her to make a film and get her writings to agents. This doesn't make her a good writer (I wonder how many writers are helping her write her show).

Anyway, she's a fad and once her schtick gets old, or someone else with a different schtick appears, she'll fade into the background. My guess is, she'll continue to make films and write for TV, but she no Kathryn Bigelow, or Jane Campion, or Lynne Ramsay.

by Anonymousreply 2412/11/2012

I'm a woman in who's smack-dab in her target demographic, and I could never read this book, and I can only tolerate her person in small doses.

Whatever, I was put into therapy by my paranoid NYC businesswoman mom when I was 4. In fact, most people of all backgrounds have had weird or precocious things happen to them, similar to those quotes. You just have to listen to said other people share themselves with you for a sufficient length of time.

*$$$$$*

by Anonymousreply 2512/11/2012

Well, of course not you fool. She's not like any of those women anyway.

I liked Tiny Furniture and Apatow didn't help her with that.

by Anonymousreply 2612/11/2012

Her father reminds me a bit of Dominick Dunne. Must be the glasses and thin lips.

Most awkward father daughter pose ever.

by Anonymousreply 2712/11/2012

Her nudity at the Emmys was stupid and pointless. She can act like she's edgy and intellectual, but she's another one who thinks being daring is taking your clothes off and trying to one up "the boys" in terms of outrageousness.

Just give me someone who is clever and funny.

by Anonymousreply 2912/11/2012

The naked moment on the toilet on the Emmys -- the fuckin' EMMYS -- lost it for me. I can't look at her the same way. Women, stop sharing your bowel movements with us. gross.

by Anonymousreply 3012/11/2012

I missed the Emmy moment. Thank god. Even if she annoys me, I still would have felt embarrassed for her. However, these tidbits of hers do not leave me feeling embarrassed for her.

by Anonymousreply 3112/11/2012

That wasn't the one I meant to post at R27.

by Anonymousreply 3212/11/2012

What toilet moment at the Emmys?

by Anonymousreply 3312/11/2012

[quote]she's another one who thinks being daring is taking your clothes off and trying to one up "the boys" in terms of outrageousness.

That [bold]is[/bold] being daring!!!

by Anonymousreply 3412/11/2012

OMG R12. Some of those (vaginas excluded) actually look like scribblings done by a five year old.

by Anonymousreply 3512/11/2012

I posted and the post never showed up.

What gets me about Lena Dunham is how delusional and self assured she is about her 'talent', she believes her own hype! Her movie was pure navel gazing as is her TV series.

She's not interesting at all, she's a schlubby looking woman with nothing new to say. I went to art school with these types of people, there were so many legends in their own minds! Most of them realized early on they weren't going to make it as artists and were smart enough to pursue other careers. Lena had everything handed to her, she hasn't had to time to step back and reflect that she is not talented at all.

There are probably hundreds of young people out their much more talented and attractive than she is. It sucks when talent-free people like LD actually become famous and wealthy. Who the hell cares about her boring life?

Lena must have been incredibly spoiled and coddled as a child. Her first poop in a toilet bowl probably won her accolades from her parents.

Her parents aren't all that talented either. Her mother came from money, so it's not as if her mom became wealthy from her photos of miniatures.

Her father's art is as one-note as Lena's 'writing'. He is obsessed with vagines and assholes. Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 3612/11/2012

What r36 said. Lena is yet another who was born on third base and think she hit a triple.

I always wonder how many truly talented people there are out there with original things to say, but because they grew up without money and/or connections they don't know how to go about getting their work out there, or they are ignored in favor of bores like Dunham. It's too bad.

by Anonymousreply 3712/11/2012

[quote]What gets me about Lena Dunham is how delusional and self assured she is about her 'talent', she believes her own hype!

If you spend any time in the 'business' you'll learn that the most successful (in terms of $$$ and fame) people are just like her. You have to be delusional about your own worth or talent to think you are worthy of $3.5 mil. book advance.

by Anonymousreply 3812/11/2012

What surprises me is that "Girls" has had the success it has enjoyed, despite the homeliness and unappealingness of Dunham and her co-stars. There seems to be this deep need among women and gay men to have a TV show about a bunch of women sitting around kvetching about men, sex, and work: "Designing Women," "Golden Girls," "Sex and the City"... Dunham's show came around at the exactly right time to be that kind of show for her generation.

by Anonymousreply 3912/11/2012

The worst part is Lena and Lea Michelle have now convinced a whole generation of ugly jewish girls that they too can be actresses...

by Anonymousreply 4012/11/2012

Lena Dunham is one of the plainest, homliest girls I've ever seen. How can a 26 year-look like a 45 year-old cat lady?

by Anonymousreply 4112/11/2012

Sometimes I understand why conservatives get ticked off by liberals of the Lena Dunham variety. Coddled, precious/precocious, superior about being smart with only shallow knowledge, and just like George W and Mitt, refusing to acknowledge they were born with many advantages. Unpopular except to a vocal, small and overrepresented part of the population.

A case of "This is why they hate us," I guess.

by Anonymousreply 4212/11/2012

I'm all for discussing Dunham's artistic merits, or lack there of. Ditto her talent, nepotism, her entitled attitude, whether her show is actually good or just over hyped, etc. However, I seriously don't get why anyone brings up her looks. She NEVER says she's anything but mildly attractive at best and downright ugly at worst. I think her looks need to omitted from the discussion. Her nudity on the show isn't meant to be sexy, it's meant to say: My character is having sex and people have sex in the nude, ugly or not, trim or not. It makes me question someone's critique of her when the first thing they bring up is her looks.

And I'm a gay male, btw.

by Anonymousreply 4312/11/2012

she isn't us

by Anonymousreply 4412/11/2012

[quote]I think her looks need to omitted from the discussion.

If she were simply a writer and director, this would be allowable. However, she insists on being before the cameras.

by Anonymousreply 4512/11/2012

I can get on board with what R43 is saying. If Lena considered herself one who should play the bombshell, that would be another story.

People of all physical types have the right to be actors, and many physical types should be represented for variety and character coloration. So I don't see where that gets us in a possibly more meaningful discussion of the other things Dunham and her work seem to stand for (or not).

by Anonymousreply 4712/11/2012

Steve Buscemi has many roles and no one minds that he is not attractive.

by Anonymousreply 4812/11/2012

but r47....nobody likes an ugly fat girl

by Anonymousreply 4912/11/2012

Actually, R49.....I could care less. And if it weren't for them, what would you hate and make fun of that yields equivalent fulfillment for yourself?

by Anonymousreply 5012/11/2012

She lost me with the Canadian serial killer Halloween costume tweets. Though her flabby arms are also annoying. A twentysomething should not have mom arms.

by Anonymousreply 5112/11/2012

[quote]I could care less.

Not this again.

by Anonymousreply 5212/11/2012

Who is this person?

by Anonymousreply 5312/11/2012

she's over, thank goodness

by Anonymousreply 5412/11/2012

R52. As long as the person's physicality doesn't seem completely out of left field for the character, I. COULD. CARE. LESS.

by Anonymousreply 5512/11/2012

You mean: YOU COULDN'T CARE LESS.

by Anonymousreply 5612/11/2012

r47, r50, r55 sounds like an ugly fat person just like Lena!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5712/11/2012

I. Could. NOT. Care. Less.

by Anonymousreply 5812/11/2012

Bahaha, my bad! Yeah, that. Cut me some slack- I've had the worst insomnia for a week.

by Anonymousreply 5912/11/2012

"She NEVER says she's anything but mildly attractive at best and downright ugly at worst. I think her looks need to omitted from the discussion."

Why shoud her looks be ommitted? She is putting herself out there, she's naked nearly every week of her series and she's hard on the eyes! If I want to see ugly or plain fat people, I'll walk through a mall in Brooklyn or Queens!

As someone else posted, she's dumpy and looks middle aged!

When an unattractive person (an actress or an actor) is paired on screen with a person who is much more attractive than they are, you bet your ass it's open for discussion! I call this the Woody Allen Syndrome, has this guy ever had an ugly onscreen girlfriend? I always laugh at that aspect of his films.

I was was cringing during Dunham's sex scene with Lou Pucci, the actor who played the pharmacist from her hometown. I think that's the actor's name. That poor guy, having to be between her fat thighs and looking at her crotch, ugh.

Ironically, Lena's mom and sister are attractive, slim and tall women, Lena looks like a refugee, all she needs is a babushka on her head.

by Anonymousreply 6012/11/2012

[quote] was was cringing during Dunham's sex scene with Lou Pucci, the actor who played the pharmacist from her hometown. I think that's the actor's name. That poor guy, having to be between her fat thighs and looking at her crotch, ugh.

That was the episode that lost me too....the guy was so cute and so interested in her....this only happens when the ugly girl is writing the script.

by Anonymousreply 6112/11/2012

"The worst part is Lena and Lea Michelle have now convinced a whole generation of ugly jewish girls that they too can be actresses..."

Lea is Italian and Jewish.

Lena is a Wasp and a Jew, which seems to be a lethal combination in showbiz, re ending up an annoying "entitled cunt", look at Miss Goop AKA G. Paltrow!

by Anonymousreply 6212/11/2012

R48: The difference is Buscemi is a good actor.

I find her the least interesting character on her show.

by Anonymousreply 6312/11/2012

People are much more tolerant of ugly guys than of ugly girls. Why? People will say that not every guy needs to be classically good-looking, but they don't cut females that same kind of slack.

by Anonymousreply 6412/11/2012

I really hate the notion that people who were born to wealthy parents are never allowed to strive for success in their own lives. What would you prefer these people to do? Just sit around, do nothing and mooch off their trust funds forever? There's plenty of rich layabouts that do exactly that, you just never hear of them. At least the Lena Dunhams on the world try to break out of the shadow of their parents' success.

by Anonymousreply 6512/11/2012

[quote]People are much more tolerant of ugly guys than of ugly girls. Why? People will say that not every guy needs to be classically good-looking, but they don't cut females that same kind of slack.

Well, Girls is quite a showcase for ugly guys. Adam Driver has the ugliest face I've ever seen on a TV actor (though it's sitting on top of a hot body) and that Alex Karpovsky guy is no beauty either. So I think Lena doesn't really care too much about anyone on the show looking perfect.

Looking through the book proposal it seemed pretty jokey to me -- more of a self-deprecating humour book than a memoir. The quotes Gawker pulled are out of context. (And I was on Lena's side as far as them publishing the entire 64 page proposal.)

by Anonymousreply 6712/11/2012

"People are much more tolerant of ugly guys than of ugly girls. Why? People will say that not every guy needs to be classically good-looking, but they don't cut females that same kind of slack."

I can enjoy watching many ugly actresses. Many character actresses are not pretty women in the traditional sense, the difference is, these women are talented and have been consistently working for years. Mostly because they bring something to the film or the TV show, their talent and presence.

What annoys people about Dunham is her annoying superior attitude and the fact that since she's not talented or attractive, and, yes, we are programmed to see that beauty is usually rewarded, exactly WHY is she famous? She's not talented (media hype is not talent) and she's certainly not pretty. She doesn't even seem to have a pleasant or likable personality. I've seen her on talk shows and she came across like a moron.

What also shocks me, this woman has had one of the most massive media blitzes, for a person with very little talent and zero charm, it's just manufactured hype. You'd think she was starring in the next "Lord of the Rings" production!

There have been articles in NEW YORK, the New York Times and, well, she has been all over the place over the last year and frankly, she warrants NONE of it.

When I see a writer use the term "Lena Dunham-esque" I want to vomit. Are they serious or getting paid off by Dunham, HBO or Apatow?

by Anonymousreply 6812/11/2012

What about a movie starring Lena Dunham and Woody Allen?

by Anonymousreply 6912/11/2012

What about the other it girl, Gerta Erwig - is she over, too?

by Anonymousreply 7012/11/2012

R68, I agree with your opinions about Dunham and her press and her attitude, even if she is being sarcastic or self-deprecating. And it's kind of been a fad to hype women in this manner. She's not the only one...though probably the most obvious one in a while.

by Anonymousreply 7112/11/2012

I don't care for Lena and haven't seen her show, but I'm sure all the Gawker writers and readers wished they had the wherewithal to pull together a book proposal. Instead, the Gawker clan will just keep dreaming and instead write snarky comments to each other while they sit in their cube.

by Anonymousreply 7212/11/2012

Gawker doesn't love Lena? I thought they did. Ok. Maybe they did but don't now.

by Anonymousreply 7312/11/2012

Is there a site with a copy of her book proposal?

by Anonymousreply 7412/11/2012

Speaking of connections, that Mamet daughter has no charisma at all and she's uglier than a mud fence. When she popped up on Mad Men I assumed she must be someone's relative, and then when Girls came out I discovered who her parents were and it all made sense.

by Anonymousreply 7512/11/2012

I kind of liked that, R12.

And I like GIRLS. Especially Adam. I just know he wants to show us his dick.

by Anonymousreply 7612/11/2012

Truly, the word cunt was invented for this revolting Lena Dunham. Yet another sign that culture in the U.S. has hit rock bottom.

by Anonymousreply 7712/11/2012

She is to writing what Lizzie Grant is to music-more talented maybe, but same principle.

I don't think people criticize her looks for only one reason.

There is enough genuine misogyny in society for people to complain because they think women on TV should not be that ugly and ordinary. There's the pure entertainment view that media is selling something pleasing, and everyone likes to see pretty people. White men have always been catered to in Hollywood, and they like hot younger women.

The other side is that it doesn't matter as long as it's realistic art. People look like her IRL, they have sex, they use raunchy humour, so it's good to have those people in the media reflecting society.

The problem with Dunham is she is so obviously striving and entitled that she really doesn't fall in either category.

She is technically over-rated and aligns herself with people who have green light ability to raise her profile. "Writing what you know" is a refuge for a lot of marginal talents.

by Anonymousreply 7812/11/2012

There's not a lot of perspective about her. She's not even ugly - she's simply ordinary-looking. And unlike a lot of men in her position, she's not hiring only hot young studs/babes to co-star with her, and she's not pretending to be some bombshell.

by Anonymousreply 7912/12/2012

I will say this--she sometimes looks like Honey Boo Boo all grown up.

by Anonymousreply 8012/12/2012

Or maybe, r81, they actually do put in the work, are genuinely talented and can't get in the door because they don't have rich, connected parents.

Whom you know is often the most important thing. Entertainment (esp. Hollywood) is full of these people.

by Anonymousreply 8212/12/2012

Welcome to the 1% of America.

by Anonymousreply 8412/12/2012

I don't care that she's unattractive. She alternates between dull and annoying, either way I don't want to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 8512/12/2012

[quote]However, I seriously don't get why anyone brings up her looks. She NEVER says she's anything but mildly attractive at best and downright ugly at worst. I think her looks need to omitted from the discussion. Her nudity on the show isn't meant to be sexy, it's meant to say: My character is having sex and people have sex in the nude, ugly or not, trim or not. It makes me question someone's critique of her when the first thing they bring up is her looks.

So what then is the point of the skimpy clothes she wears offscreen, her insistence on displaying her body in photos like the one at the link? As near as I can tell, there's nothing ironic intended there. It's one thing to be playing a character in a show and using her body to illustrate whatever points she wants to make there. It's quite another thing to run around at public events with just a shirt and no visible bottoms when you've got thunder thighs.

As long as she presents herself in such a way in her offscreen life, I don't think commentary about her appearance is so out of bounds. She clearly WANTS people to look at her.

by Anonymousreply 8612/12/2012

I suppose it's fair to attack her for that choice of outfit, R86. But not for her looks. Go reread posts in this thread. Tons espouse that she's overrated (or something equally denigrating) because she's unattractive. I just don't get what her looks have to do with her artistic merit. A person doesn't lose artistic credibility because they're are unattractive and star in a TV show. They lose artistic credibility because they're weak artists.

Now, because she is an actress, it's fair to say "I think that Lena Dunham just is not attractive". But to say her unattractiveness makes her unworthy to be on TV or somehow makes her unable to be a good actress is just ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 8712/12/2012

I've had recurring nightmares since adolescence in which I walk around in a shirt with no underwear like that. I'm not the only one I've heard of having such anxiety dreams of being exposed. Yet here she is living out such a common nightmare scenario in front of a camera with a body that is simply not aesthetically pleasing (to say the least) in such attire. And standing next to [italic]that[/italic] girl? What does she get out of doing this? A feeling of Girl Power or something that vapid?

by Anonymousreply 8812/12/2012

"So what then is the point of the skimpy clothes she wears offscreen, her insistence on displaying her body in photos like the one at the link? As near as I can tell, there's nothing ironic intended there. It's one thing to be playing a character in a show and using her body to illustrate whatever points she wants to make there. It's quite another thing to run around at public events with just a shirt and no visible bottoms when you've got thunder thighs."

I agree totally.

The outfit she wore during her first appearance on Jimmy Fallon was absurd, a very short dress, which the shape was not even suited to her figure. It was ill fitting all around. I sew, I know what I am talking about. There are ways to make a bad figure look more attractive. It seems she constantly goes out of her way to repel people. Her look isn't even cool or weird in an attractive way, it's repulsive.

She is not slim, she is also not average weight nor is she curvaceous in an outrageous was, as say, Coco, Ice T's wife. Lena Dunham has a dumpy, pale, un-toned body, NO ONE WANTS TO LOOK AT IT, yet she keeps exposing herself. I'm beginning to think she's an exhibitionist.

I recall reading somewhere that she likes to be naked at home. Fine, that's her business. When she's making public appearances, such as being at a red carpet event or being interviewed, the public doesn't need to be subjected to her gormless pale schlubby figure and homely face. If ever there was a woman who needs a burka, it's her!

by Anonymousreply 8912/12/2012

Lena Dunham: US VOGUE cover model May 2013. You heard it here first. The DL threads are in the making.

by Anonymousreply 9012/12/2012

She seems to be very impressed with how interesting she is to herself. I know many of this type of L-train trustafarian and the problem is that they actually believe others are this interested in their minutiae.

by Anonymousreply 9112/12/2012

"Lena Dunham: US VOGUE cover model May 2013. You heard it here first. The DL threads are in the making."

Would Anna Wintour ever stoop this low to rope in some younger readers? Yes, perhaps if an extreme makeover like the did for their Oprah cover! The Photoshop experts will need to be toiled away for along time!

If Wintour wanted someone from the series, she'd pick the Bad Company drummer's daughter, the blond Brit Jemima Kirke or Brian Williams' daughter Allison, never ever Dunham.

Dungham would probably want to do some poses based on her father's paintings....exposing her asshole and flabby vagine! The mind boggles.

by Anonymousreply 9212/12/2012

Dumpy cunts like this rising to absurd fame is proof of a vast Illuminati/Jewish/Reptilian conspiracy of world leaders foisting their inbred spawn upon a rotting culture.

by Anonymousreply 9312/12/2012

those really can't be quotes from the proposal

its like someone with a brain injury attempting to recollect the past

by Anonymousreply 9412/12/2012

R94, And that also applies if she meant those quotes ironically or sarcastically. That's the issue with people who try to be "cool", such as hipsters. They see who can layer on the most levels of irony or sarcasm and meta-commentary, and whoever "wins" can qualify as a genius.

by Anonymousreply 9512/12/2012

Lena's mother, Laurie Simmons, is friends with Meryl Streep, who lives in the same Connecticut town as the Dunham family. Streep appeared in a short film Simmons wrote and directed a couple of years ago. Is that what DLers mean when they refer to her being well connected?

by Anonymousreply 9612/24/2012

Jesus christ, she is easily 10 times worse than I thought she was.

by Anonymousreply 9712/24/2012

Her picture on the dvd of her show is the most airbrushed I have ever seen...

by Anonymousreply 9812/24/2012

agree. Have never watched her show and don't intend to. Can't even stand looking at pictures of her fat body and beyond-ugly face. Can't stand to look at David Mamet's beyond-fucking-ugly spawn Zosia Mamet either. She was tolerable as Peggy's friend in a few episodes of Mad Men (came across as Dyke Delight) but that's it. Lena Dunham is one thing: lucky.

by Anonymousreply 9912/24/2012

YOU get off the internet then r101.

I love the commentary that Gawker added underneath each excerpted quote after Dunham sicced her attorney one them.

by Anonymousreply 10212/24/2012

THEN GO THE FUCK AWAY. Would you like to be banned again like you have the last three christmases for this "misogyny is killing our children" bullshit trolling you do? Because I certainly would LOVE to see you banned again. And so would everyone else, I am quite sure.

by Anonymousreply 10412/24/2012

".wait a second.. L. Dunham gets a Vogue cover, yet Kerry Washington has yet to grace the cover! Kerry is in the second season of a hit show and has acted in critically acclaimed movies.. but, still no cover..."

I HOPE the info re Dungham getting a VOGUE cover was just a JOKE!

by Anonymousreply 10512/24/2012

I agree with everything in your post, R105.

by Anonymousreply 10712/24/2012

I'm a big Lena Dunham fun. I don't have HBO, and just watched the first season of Girls on DVD. I think it's brilliant--very funny, very real. She reminds me of a young Tina Fey. I don't understand the hostility some of the posters have towards her, especially those who haven't even seen her work.

by Anonymousreply 10812/24/2012

For those Lena fans (or haters) out there, be sure to check out the episode of ICONOCLASTS with Lena and Judd Apatow kissing each others asses. OMG.

She is now officially his protege. We can look forward to an endless stream of autobiographical Lena "comedies."

by Anonymousreply 10912/24/2012

r108 here. I meant to type fan, of course, not fun.

by Anonymousreply 11012/24/2012

I love Tina Fey but I will admit she is an uneven writer. And like Dunham, she does turn a lot of autobiographical detail and experience into comedy.

But the comparison ends there. Fey could never be accused of pretension in her work. And she's very old-school: plugging away for years at Second City, paying the rent, working her way through the hideous old-boys' school of SNL to become head writer and earning the respect of Lorne Michaels, an authentic sexist prick.

Tina's earned her success. Lena? Not so sure.

by Anonymousreply 11112/24/2012

Lena and Gawker are cut from the same untalented, logorrheic cloth. Hence, the mutual hatred.

by Anonymousreply 11212/24/2012

Tina Fey didn't have jack shit for connections. She worked at the YMCA in Chicago and went on the road with the second-tier Second City ensemble for quite a while before she was even asked to join the mainstage. And as the above poster said, she started pretty low on SNL and had to put up with that ancient fossil Lorne Michaels, with his dated view of what was 'funny' and his dated attitude of women. She more than earned her success.

Lena Dunham couldn't have done it if she had come from an ordinary background like Fey did. She's not that talented.

by Anonymousreply 11412/24/2012

R114: Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 11512/25/2012

R114 is entirely correct and that's why we hate Lena Dunham. Plus, Fey isn't doughy fat.

by Anonymousreply 11612/25/2012

Yeah but people don't debate Tina Fey's work or ferl that she's representing their generation. Her comedy is 'safe' and that's fine, but I'd rather watch someone who strays into pretension over pratfalls. Sure, Dunham can be a little precious, but she's also brave.

by Anonymousreply 11801/02/2013

You are an insufferable misogynist.

by Anonymousreply 11901/02/2013

R119/R117, etc., is a stupid cunt!

by Anonymousreply 12001/02/2013

I know somebody like this in my town. It's awful.

by Anonymousreply 12101/02/2013

R122, R123, R124, R125, R126 is a huge cunt.

by Anonymousreply 12701/02/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 13101/02/2013

She seems totally charmless but I wouldn't call her a c**t...

by Anonymousreply 13301/02/2013

I LOVE guessing games!

What wouldn't you call her, you precious little thing at R133?

A coat? A cart?

Oh, I know!!!

A CLOT!

by Anonymousreply 13401/02/2013

untalented gash.

by Anonymousreply 13501/02/2013

OK, so the anti-cunt crowd has a point, but Lena Dunham is still an insufferable, entitled cunt.

by Anonymousreply 13601/02/2013

[quote]They hate women all the time

As opposed to some of the time.

by Anonymousreply 13701/02/2013

"What does her pussy taste like?"

A rancid month old opened can of tuna fish, even a starving cat won't touch.

by Anonymousreply 13802/22/2013

Why all the fuss about this fat, talentless, ugly little bitch with bad teeth well-connected parents? My guess is the media twats who prate incessantly about her are fat, talentless, ugly little bitches with bad teeth and well-connected parents.

by Anonymousreply 13903/18/2013

Will she be attending Michfest this summer?

by Anonymousreply 14003/18/2013

Why the hate? She seems better prepared than most of the posters I read here. Oberlain grad. Well you know what that means. Nice family, New York girl. She can write, act, is Credentialed. She gets things done, is a brilliant interview. The show's spot on. If you hate, it says more about you than her.

by Anonymousreply 14103/18/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 14203/19/2013

Women are raped in the US by men who call them "cunts." Stop hating women.

by Anonymousreply 14303/19/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 14403/19/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 14503/19/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 14603/19/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 14703/19/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 14803/19/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 14903/19/2013

Good.

by Anonymousreply 15103/19/2013

Anna Wintour wants Lens on the cover of Vogue.

Anna Wintour Has Set Her Sights on Lena Dunham BY ALLISON P DAVIS

Anna Wintour wants Lena Dunham to be the next Vogue cover girl, according to sources at the magazine. But it seems even Wintour has to put in some effort to woo the choosy Dunham.

While we'd go with a singing telegram, Wintour's Herculean seduction efforts include a fancy, private dinner and bending the laws of the Vogue universe to accommodate Dunham's "type" on the cover.

"She's willing to violate a lot of Vogue traditions to do it, including putting her on the cover even though she doesn't really conform to the body type that Vogue has featured for most of its history," a source told Radar Online.

Aw, breaking the ban on "overweight" women in Vogue? Anna, you shouldn't have.

by Anonymousreply 15810/21/2013

I never knew until now that she's from money. I never understood why she is so successful, but this explains everything. A poor effin' little rich girl. This counts for most of today's 'creatives' though: my daddy's rich, so I'm entitled to become an artist/celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 15910/21/2013

I agree with the article's title.

by Anonymousreply 16001/15/2014

two words as to why she has a career: NICK KROLL.

by Anonymousreply 16102/24/2014

Maybe it was always the case, but I wasn't aware it was that bad... Lake Bell and Lena Dunham are using Nick Kroll's influence, with seemingly legit members of the press in particular, to buy awards and positive press for these daughters of privilege. Or sons of privilege(John Mulany and Mike Birbiglia et al)

New Yorker, NYT, New York Magazine and a host of others are either unaware of the unethical journalists writing these promos(under the guise of real articles) or they don't care or they encourage it. NPR is a big booster too because Kroll is a major funder.

Basically, Kroll entered show biz in 2007, and wanted to make it so he could impress his father... He followed his fathers tricks of the trade- to not only promote his own "brand" but to promote and protect the brand of his select "comedy friends" so they'd return the favor and he'd have a long career in comedy. There is a Jewish cabal of sorts but only the 1 percenter Jews are in on it. It's much more to do with greed than religion. There is no " if you're Jewish we'll help you." It's more like " It turns out that Bell and Dunham and Notaro can help Nick's goals and so we'll all scratch each others backs. Mulany, Notaro, and Birbiglia are not Jewish and yet benefit from this ARRANGEMENT so ...

by Anonymousreply 16202/24/2014

So, R162, it's like an old fashioned "good old boys" network, only it's young, predominantly jewish, NY rich kids with influential parents/connections? That sort of nepotism been going on FOREVER in entertainment. Lens is not unique.

by Anonymousreply 16302/24/2014

I barely know who Nick Kroll is, other than that he's a marginally talented trust fund baby. Lake Bell is appallingly untalented, that film "In a World" is one of the dullest, and poorly realised, pieces of shit ever committed to celluloid, but somehow received glowing reviews everywhere.

Lena is far more successful than either of those two rich kids, although Girls turned to complete shit after its first season.

by Anonymousreply 16402/25/2014

Misogynists?! Dunham herself has done more in the last couple of years to denigrate women than the whole cadre of right-wing mouth-breathers, much less the folks I've seen comment here. Don't confuse misogyny with taste.

by Anonymousreply 16503/10/2014

apparently she is the voice of my generation and I supposed to like her book it seemed like 300 pages of whining to me.

by Anonymousreply 16610/30/2014

All of these comments are dead on. There are some untalented people - and no, Gwenyth Paltrow is not one of them, because she has definite acting talent - whose careers are shoved at you with such a ramped up degree of intensity (after some mini-indie of no import, a cable series, instant and simultaneous profiles on "serious" news entertainment shows like 60 Minutes, all morning shows, "hip" media like Vice, fashion magazines) that you are forced to wonder what it's all about and where the hype comes from. All of it is 1% soulless narcissistic cultural parasitism. It's also gross to watch, because all of the main players always have a no-fun, self-hating vibe to them. Their work is not connected to the real world, they demand congratulations and worship NOW, the marketing is fake hip and unbearable - and barring ODs or accidents, they never quit.

by Anonymousreply 16710/30/2014

Kroll is dating Amy Poehler

by Anonymousreply 16810/30/2014

R48 speak for yourself!

by Anonymousreply 16910/30/2014

Someone chop up this piece of American overprivileged shit and feed her to the hogs.

by Anonymousreply 17011/04/2014

Well said r167. 'soulless narcissistic cultural parasitism' ... can i quote you on that?

by Anonymousreply 17111/04/2014

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 17211/04/2014

[quote]Oh dear God, that thing is still here? Make. Her. Go. AWAY.

by Anonymousreply 17311/04/2014

[quote]She gets things done, is a brilliant interview. The show's spot on. If you hate, it says more about you than her.

LOL. It's fun to read these ridiculous old posts now that Lens is on the verge of collapse.

by Anonymousreply 17411/04/2014

Lens rape raped me.

by Anonymousreply 17511/04/2014

But Louis CK loves Tig Notaro..so how does that fit in w the Nick Kroll connection? Maybe she is talented .

And Lens and Nick ...is there a documented connection ?

I liked In A World . Is a Lake Bell wealthy?

by Anonymousreply 17611/04/2014

r176-there is a DL troll obsessed with Nick Kroll who blames Kroll for everything wrong in the world. Pay no attention to anything said about him.

by Anonymousreply 17711/04/2014

[quote]She is to writing what Lizzie Grant is to music-more talented maybe, but same principle.

That's an unfair comparison. While poor Lizzie Grant aka Lana del Rey can't sing her way out of a Prada purse, she can certainly write some killer catchy tunes.

I'm not sure you can say the same thing about Ms Dunham's prose writing skill.

by Anonymousreply 17803/17/2015

I just wish that she would fade into obscurity and never work in the industry again.

by Anonymousreply 17903/17/2015

If Carrie Bradshaw ruined New York and women...

Hanna ruined....... fill in the blank

by Anonymousreply 18003/17/2015

[quote]There seems to be this deep need among women and gay men to have a TV show about a bunch of women sitting around kvetching about men, sex, and work: "Designing Women," "Golden Girls," "Sex and the City"...

DL has damn near gone to war over which of the first two shows are better, but that means they're still being talked about nearly 30 years after their respective debuts. Who will be talking about "Girls" in 2045?

by Anonymousreply 18103/17/2015

So much respect for Lens. She'll be doing all my tweets from now on.

by Anonymousreply 18203/17/2015

That's because she's the voice of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 18303/17/2015

She's on "Scandal" this week. Must-flee TV.

by Anonymousreply 18403/17/2015

[quote]That's because she's the voice of her generation.

At this rate, will the next generation even have the ability to speak coherently?

by Anonymousreply 18503/17/2015

Very funny, Kathy Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 18603/17/2015

[quote] her fame will be brief..

If only, oh 2012.

If only......

by Anonymousreply 18703/17/2015

I'ma sit on this fat white skank ass Lena bitch and choke her to death.

by Anonymousreply 18803/17/2015

I hope her show will go off the air soon.

by Anonymousreply 18903/18/2015
Need more help? Click Here.