Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay marriage: do we want it or not?

I was reading about the gay marriage debate in the UK, where it's getting ugly for a number of reasons, not the least of which is their economy is so dire and nobody gets why Cameron is making such a big deal about this.

But I was reading a column today where the columnist wrote that none of his gay friends wanted marriage rights.

For me, personally, it's needed if one couple wants it. But I am wondering: what does DL think?

by Anonymousreply 1012/11/2012

Why on earth wouldn't "we" want it?

by Anonymousreply 112/10/2012

We want the option, just like any heterosexual has the option.

by Anonymousreply 212/10/2012

Well, don't duh. I hear a lot of gay people totally indifferent not to the option, but to the right. They don't care. They are apathetic. That doesn't translate into political pressure if needed,

by Anonymousreply 312/10/2012

These decimals are making me horny.

by Anonymousreply 412/10/2012

I want the Federal and State rights that come with it.

by Anonymousreply 512/10/2012

Of course we want it. The rights, that is. Gays should have the right to a civil union or a marriage or what ever we want to call it, same as the heteros.

by Anonymousreply 612/10/2012

It's about equality whether you personally want marriage or not.

And it's not only about marriage. It's about acceptance, tax benefits, inheritance benefits, non-discrimination in your personal life and on the job and creating a society where people are equal regardless of the sexual orientation.

by Anonymousreply 712/10/2012

I can't see myself ever getting married, but it should be legal for those who want it.

I keep hearing sad stories about people being kept away from the bedside of their long-term partners who are dying and also about overall lack of survivor's rights. Those are important issues.

by Anonymousreply 812/11/2012

I'm already seeing a lot of gay divorce cases on Judge Judy. Civil Union is fine with me. "Goin' to the chapel, and gonna get married" seems rather ludicrous to me, and is what puts off the ultra-hetero nut jobs. .. It's really about equal rights and not love and marriage.

by Anonymousreply 912/11/2012

Favoring "civil unions" to avoid pissing off the whack jobs is not smart, r9. After winning the separate but equal treatment, we would be forever fighting attempts to lessen its status. If you want equal rights, call it bythe same name.

by Anonymousreply 1012/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.