Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

TCM Remembers 2012

Take a moment to pay tribute to the cinematic artists who passed away in 2012.

by Robert Osbornereply 4712/11/2012

What a beautiful tribute. The Oscars could learn a lesson from them on how to do tasteful In Memoriam tributes.

by Robert Osbornereply 112/10/2012

What R1 said. You wonder why the Academy even bothers.

by Robert Osbornereply 212/10/2012

I just hope Osborne himself isn't on it anytime soon.

I just saw "Anatomy of a Murder" (from which the Ben Gazzara clip was taken) on TCM yesterday.

by Robert Osbornereply 312/10/2012

Hey, I died this year, too! How come I didn't make the list?

by Robert Osbornereply 412/10/2012

I guess I'm the only one who finds these tributes in recent years to be too arty. I wish they lingered on the celebrity portraits longer (some of whom deserve multiple images) instead of all the inanimate objects.

And with over 2 weeks to go until the New Year, isn't this a little premature?

I always wonder how they determine the it by the date they passed or just random?

by Robert Osbornereply 512/10/2012

There is no better place than TCM. So classy and tasteful.

by Robert Osbornereply 612/10/2012

That's the Starlight Drive-In in Atlanta.

by Robert Osbornereply 712/10/2012

Mostly random, R5, although they always save the biggest names (Oscar winners) for the last few - in this case Celeste Holm, Nora Ephron, Dick Zanuck and Ernie Borgnine, Oscar winners all.

They always include people not memorialized elsewhere (writers like Gore Vidal, critics like Andrew Sarris, foreign film stars) - that's a nice touch.

by Robert Osbornereply 812/10/2012

R7 Thanks for posting that -- I was going to ask if anyone knew where it was filmed. I guess since it's Turner, Atlanta would've been a good assumption!

by Robert Osbornereply 912/10/2012

Like everything else by TCM, this is once again a class act. They did it well last year, too.

by Robert Osbornereply 1012/10/2012

That was really nice. Boy, I guess I've been out of it because there were a number of people there that I hadn't realized died this year.

by Robert Osbornereply 1112/10/2012

Turhan Bey!

by Robert Osbornereply 1212/10/2012

Sorry if I'm not with it, but what was music background?

by Robert Osbornereply 1312/10/2012

Ted Turner, fka The Mouth Of The South, is an unlikely candidate for the description "tasteful & classy". But he's done a huge public service by creating & maintaining TCM, & I'm grateful to him for it.

by Robert Osbornereply 1412/10/2012

I am still here, bitches!

by Robert Osbornereply 1512/10/2012

" guess I'm the only one who finds these tributes in recent years to be too arty. "

by Robert Osbornereply 1612/10/2012

Not a single soul from the silent era...

by Robert Osbornereply 1712/11/2012

r17 I don't think there are any silent-era actors or actresses left. They would all be over 100 years old by now.

by Robert Osbornereply 1812/11/2012

There were two in last year's tribute. I suppose Mickey Rooney would count as he did some silents.

by Robert Osbornereply 1912/11/2012

R14, Ted Turner sold TCM and all his other Turner Broadcasting holdings to Time Warner ages ago. He's not even on the board of Time Warner anymore. TCM is a subsidiary of Time Warner Cable now, just like HBO is.

by Robert Osbornereply 2012/11/2012

Mickey Rooney and Dickie Moore both worked in silent films as small children.

See list of surviving silent actors in the link below:

by Robert Osbornereply 2112/11/2012

Silent screen actress Carla Laemmle, who appeared in the silent Phantom of the Opera and who also had a bit part in the talking version of Dracula, is still alive.

by Robert Osbornereply 2212/11/2012

Frederica Sagor Maas was a screenwriter during the silent era.

by Robert Osbornereply 2312/11/2012

Ann Rutherford just missed the silent era - she made her first pic in 1935.

And I didn't know Susan Tyrrell had died. She was an oddball favorite.

by Robert Osbornereply 2412/11/2012

Luise Rainer is still alive. Was she part of the silent era? She's nearly 103.

by Robert Osbornereply 2512/11/2012

The silent era ended in 1927.

Neither Rainer nor Rutherford's careers were anywhere close to that - R25 and especially R24 are idiots.

by Robert Osbornereply 2612/11/2012

Shouldn't they wait until later in December to make this tribute in case a couple of stars die before then?

by Robert Osbornereply 2812/11/2012

Beautiful tribute. Thanks, OP.

by Robert Osbornereply 2912/11/2012

I liked it. I was glad that they put Andy first and Ernest last, I thought they were the best actors we lost this year.

Would have been nice to put Donna Summer in, for Thank God It's Friday. And wasn't "On the Radio" the theme to Foxes?

by Robert Osbornereply 3012/11/2012

R26, not exactly correct.

The Jazz Singer, a partial talkie, came out in October 1927. It did not end silent movies overnight! Wings, the first best picture winner, had come out earlier that year and won its award in May 1929. So silents were still viable and not so unusual years after the Jazz Singer.

It took some time to perfect the equipment and to transform thousands of movies houses to talkies.

But by 1935 talkies were the norm, so Rutherford missed the silent era, but not really by much. And Chaplin was still making silents as late as 1936 (Modern Times) so...?

by Robert Osbornereply 3112/11/2012

I, too, was surprised that Susan Tyrrell had died. Simon Ward, "Young Winston" was too unknown, I gather. I still have good memories of TCM using Joe Henry's "God Only Knows" to memorialize, among others, Heath Ledger.

by Robert Osbornereply 3212/11/2012

The silent ERA may have ended at a particular time, but silent films were still occasionally made after it ended, just as black and white films were.

In fact, silent films and black and white films are still made today for artistic reasons (look at this past year's Oscar winner from France).

by Robert Osbornereply 3312/11/2012

This wasn't one of TCM's better efforts. But it's always better than the Oscar memorial, which tends to omit a lot of people.

by Robert Osbornereply 3412/11/2012

If you're gonna say that Ann Rutherford JUST missed the Silent Era, you may as well include not only Luise but sisters Olivia and Joan as 3 LIVING actresses who also JUST missed the Silent Era.

But I believe all 4 actresses were still in their teens and not acting, even by the end of the 1920s so it's really a moot point.

Kind of like saying, "Gee, The Beatles just missed the 1950s."

by Robert Osbornereply 3512/11/2012

How much do you want to bet there will be at least 3 more major Hollywood deaths before the end of the year?

This is the ripest time of the year for that kind of thing.

by Robert Osbornereply 3612/11/2012

R28, if someone notable dies after the montage has been assembled, they will edit them in. They did that for Blake Edwards a couple of years ago when he died in the middle of December.

It's not one of my favorites (last year's was one of the best imo), but it's still a beautiful memorial.

by Robert Osbornereply 3712/11/2012

Yeah, I bet they keep those shots of the drive-in, etc. in there so if needed they can add more dead people if needed.

by Robert Osbornereply 3812/11/2012

The Starlight Drive-In used to have a great flea market during the day. But earlier this year, someone got shot one night while watching a movie.

by Robert Osbornereply 3912/11/2012

The nominees for outstanding corpse are:

by Robert Osbornereply 4012/11/2012

[quote]I, too, was surprised that Susan Tyrrell had died. Simon Ward, "Young Winston" was too unknown, I gather.

That was a surprise, as I remember TCM airing "Young Winston" seemingly on a loop during the 90s. They also left out one of my favorite 70s heavies, Richard Lynch.

And couldn't they find a more "classic" clip for Larry Hagman? Something from "Fail-Safe" or "Harry and Tonto", perhaps?

by Robert Osbornereply 4112/11/2012

r17 The last two adult stars from the silent era died in 2011. The last surviving silent-era "star" is former child actress Baby Peggy.

by Robert Osbornereply 4212/11/2012

Speaking of Baby Peggy, did anyone watch the documentary about her last week? Strange sad story but glad it ended well.

by Robert Osbornereply 4312/11/2012

Where was Elyse Knox?

by Robert Osbornereply 4412/11/2012

Greta Garbo's last silent film was THE KISS and it was released in 1929. It had a soundtrack but it was shot silent so no spoken dialogue, etc. The soundtrack only had the score and some noise effects.

So the silent era didn't end in 1927.

by Robert Osbornereply 4512/11/2012

[quote]But earlier this year, someone got shot one night while watching a movie.

Well, they could've at least included the shooting victim as part of the montage.

by Robert Osbornereply 4612/11/2012

[quote] if someone notable dies after the montage has been assembled, they will edit them in. They did that for Blake Edwards a couple of years ago when he died in the middle of December.

So the question remains, why not wait until January to put out this tribute?

by Robert Osbornereply 4712/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!