Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I miss "Will & Grace"

I was feeling blue this weekend and had a W&G marathon, seasons 1 - 4. It really lifted my spirits- lotsa laugh out loud moments.

Why did it end?

by Anonymousreply 5612/12/2012

God, I miss brunch.

by Anonymousreply 112/10/2012

It ended because the show jumped the shark.

Watch Seasons 5-8 for your answer.

by Anonymousreply 212/10/2012

I've been rewatching it too. Such a good show. And I disagree with R2. I think seasons 5-8 (after Mutchnick and Kohan left) were the best. The humour was much more over-the-top and fun.

by Anonymousreply 312/10/2012

I loved the show. But MAD TV was right

by Anonymousreply 412/10/2012

Damn, you watched 4 seasons in 2 days? That must've taken all your waking hours. I thought the show was ok, but an entire weekend of it would been maddening. The lazy, hackneyed writing on the weaker episodes, repeated endlessly, would be torturous.

by Anonymousreply 512/10/2012

I miss it too. It's a pretty recent show but for some reason I feel very nostalgic watching it. I guess in the end it was just a fun and hopeful show in a weird way. And, the early seasons were pretty damn funny.

by Anonymousreply 612/10/2012

It was great, and the shows are even better here in Germany, with synchronisation. German is a pretty cultural language.

by Anonymousreply 712/10/2012

W&G reruns are still fun to watch. I just started DVRing them on Hallmark. They're currently showing the 2005 eps with Alec Baldwin in at least ten eps as Stan's lawyer and they're quite good IMO.

by Anonymousreply 812/11/2012

When it was on the air, Will & Grace was the best written and acted sitcom. And OP, I agree with you...there were lots of laugh out loud moments each episode.

But it had a longer than average run, and eventually everything comes to an end. But I, too, wish it was still on the air. I wasn't tired of it at all even if it had its run and the actors, writers (and perhaps the audience) etc., had their fill. Karen was one goddamn funny bitch.

The show used to be on the Lifetime Network at 8:30 in the morning while I was getting ready for work. I loved starting the day off with Will & Grace.

by Anonymousreply 912/11/2012

Good show. Worst series finale ever.

by Anonymousreply 1012/11/2012

Harry Connick Jr.

by Anonymousreply 1112/11/2012

I downloaded three seasons (4, 5 & 6) and have been watching them over the past few weekends. It absolutely holds up. Lots of laughs.

They say "fag" a lot. Can you even say that word on network tv anymore? Even if you are one?

by Anonymousreply 1212/11/2012

Is there any place to watch the uncut episodes? Posters on IMDb said even the DVDs are of the syndication prints.

by Anonymousreply 1312/11/2012

I watched this show for Karen.

by Anonymousreply 1412/11/2012

Everyone who counted had a guest spot. It justified and glamorized support of the gay community. It helped dispel the belief that mainstream had regarding straight gay supporters as really gay themselves. It allowed straight women to flaunt their superiority over close minded, bitter biddies by saying "You wouldn't get it because men in general aren't seeking you out". Attractive, charismatic women attract most men, regardless of orientation, was the message.

by Anonymousreply 1512/11/2012

"When it was on the air, Will & Grace was the best written and acted sitcom."

Oh, bullshit. FRASIER left W&G in the dust in terms of writing and acting. Just look at the tripe Mutchnick and Kohan have done since.

Also, I continually find it bizarre that gay people wax nostagic about a show about a gay man whose only meaningful emotional relationship is with a woman. How thick can people be?

by Anonymousreply 1612/11/2012

R13 The only thing uncut about "Will and Grace" was Eric McCormack's dick.

by Anonymousreply 1712/11/2012

I love Will and Grace, but near the end I was really loathing Grace. The best laughs in the last few seasons were when Grace would get into some kind of mishap caused by jack and Karen and when they were making fun of her. They should have renamed it the Jack and Karen show and carried on. Also, Harry Connick Jr. should have been killed off in some horrible accident, again caused by Jack and Karen.

by Anonymousreply 1912/11/2012

I still maintain that Harry Connick Jr. ruined that show. Anything with Leo is god awful.

by Anonymousreply 2012/11/2012

Best W&G guest stars?

Glenn Close

Patti Lupone

Elton John

Edie Falco and Chloe Sevigny

Sandra Bernhard

by Anonymousreply 2112/11/2012

[quote]Attractive, charismatic women attract most men, regardless of orientation, was the message.

You are a bit insane, dear. Look into it.

I loved Will and Grace, but the message was quite a bit deeper than that, and not gender-specific for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 2212/11/2012

You forgot Stuart Townsend as Karen's silly, horny, bisexual pastry chef.

by Anonymousreply 2312/11/2012

The best W&G guest star was Minnie Driver. her scenes with Sean Hayes & Megan Mullally were some of the best of the series.

Worst guest star was Jennifer Lopez except for her one line when she asked her dancers: "Which one of you is not wearing Glow?"

Show started to suck when Grace got fat.

by Anonymousreply 2412/11/2012

I agree about Lopez, but she wasn't in a cameo role, she was just on the show as Jennifer Lopez.

by Anonymousreply 2512/11/2012

Agree r18 - that and the fact that neither Will nor Jack ever had a serious relationship with another man for the entire run of the series, so the perceived "EEWWWWWW" factor was eliminated.

All of Will's BFs lasted a few episodes and then they were gone. And rarely was there any physical contact.

by Anonymousreply 2612/11/2012

"Also, I continually find it bizarre that gay people wax nostagic about a show about a gay man whose only meaningful emotional relationship is with a woman."

Boy, ain't that the truth. I've seen similar posts like that about this show, and the W&G defenders ALWAYS avoid dealing with that aspect.

by Anonymousreply 2712/11/2012

The irony is that the W&G creators failed with PARTNERS this season - I only watched one episode (it was dismal) but there was no chemistry between the two actors playing the gay couple, and no hint of attraction either.

For anyone who watched that show to the bitter end, did that change? Did the two character even touch or kiss each other?

It's sad that an almost equally dumb show like THE NEW NORMAL looks downright radical in comparison, though it would be nice if the gay couple could get into bed without their T-shirts on for one (I just want to see Bartha shirtless).

by Anonymousreply 2812/11/2012

R21, the woman who played Jack's acting coach Zondra. She was fucking awesome! I know she is pretty famous but the name excapes me.

by Anonymousreply 2912/11/2012

r22 is a nasty little sponge troll taking up residence on someone's couch. There's no way you hold a job or keep a roof over your own head. Always getting kicked out of friend's houses and fired from jobs. Listen to yourself. You feel the need to argue the premise of a defunct TV it was so much [i]deeper[/i]. You've certainly overstayed your welcome here as well.

by Anonymousreply 3012/11/2012

Holy shit R30, please seek help for your mental issues.

by Anonymousreply 3112/11/2012

Uh-huh. Riiight. Holy shit, you're wondering on how I've got your ticket punched. Thanks for the confirmation.

by Anonymousreply 3212/11/2012

I agree, R20. I always wanted Grace to end up with Woody Harrelson. He provided a nice counterbalance to the fussiness of the rest of the characters. I wonder if it was his choice to move on, or the writers didn't know where to go with his character. There was something so nothing about Leo.

by Anonymousreply 3312/11/2012

I loved it. As sitcoms go it was one of the more consistently funny ones.

by Anonymousreply 3412/11/2012

R21, Matt Damon getting sassy with the gay men's choir.

by Anonymousreply 3512/11/2012

Jack's acting coach was Mrs. Peacock on Clue.

Anyway, terrible series finale. They don't talk to each other for like 20 years? That's terribly depressing and takes a bit of fun out of rewatching the earlier episodes.

by Anonymousreply 3612/11/2012

[quote]you're wondering on how I've got your ticket punched

Boy, you really nailed me. I'm just a quivering, tear-streaked mess after you correctly described me as "a nasty little sponge troll taking up residence on someone's couch". And it's all true. I was once a clean little non-troll sponge used to wipe down dishes, until I turned "nasty" and moved to my owner's sofa ("took up residence", even--all my sponge mail is now forwarded from the kitchen sink to the sofa).

Yes, that is all true. You have punched my ticket.

This must be the same razor-sharp insight that led you to conclude that Will and Grace's central theme wasn't tolerance and acceptance or the importance of friendship, but that women "regardless of orientation" should tart themselves up to attract a man's attention.

Yes. Of course. Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 3712/11/2012

Good call R29. She was played by Academy Award nominated (for Private Benjamin) actress: Eileen Brennan.

by Anonymousreply 3812/11/2012

You can pinpoint the exact episode(s) when the things started going downhill: the Will and Grace decide to have a baby story arc. And I agree with R20, the character of Leo started to suck the life out of the show. The endless glut of largely pointless guest stars (prime examples: Madonna, Janet, JLo, and a few others) didn't help the either.

by Anonymousreply 3912/11/2012

Cyndi Lauper was a good guest star. I also liked the cop with a thing for Will. Michael Douglas?

by Anonymousreply 4012/11/2012

You people are fucking old.

by Anonymousreply 4112/11/2012

The guest star I never liked was that homely weasely looking guy who played Jack's boyfriend for a few episodes, Stuart. He's famous to some of you for something I never watched, but ewww.

As far as Jack & Will in relationships, they tried it off & on (including Taye Diggs and Bobby Canavale for Will). I think it's the age old problem of whether sitcom characters are funnier dating a string of losers or being in love. Rhoda and Mary were a lot funnier single, too.

For many seasons, Jack and Karen did some of the funniest bits (individually and together) I've ever enjoyed, and still do on re-runs. It was a shame they both wound up the show playing those characters as childlike imbeciles. It's also odd to me how neither of them has come anywhere close to being as good in anything else (especially poor Megan Mullaley, who was brilliant so many times as Karen).

by Anonymousreply 4212/11/2012

Megan Mullaly is on one of the funniest shows on TV - Childrens Hospital.

by Anonymousreply 4312/11/2012

[quote]I loved Will and Grace, but the message was quite a bit deeper than that,

Yes, if there was one salient aspect to Will & Grace, it was the deepness of its message.

by Anonymousreply 4412/11/2012

I loved Frasier during its actual run. I liked W&G well enough. Now? I can't stand watching Frasier in reruns, but watch W&G every chance I get and laugh my ass off. Frasier was by far the more clever show, but W&G had funnier moments, which must be what I want in an old show now.

by Anonymousreply 4512/11/2012

I agree r43. Love Children's Hospital and NTFS SD SUV.

by Anonymousreply 4612/11/2012

Who did Cyndi Lauper play, R40?

by Anonymousreply 4712/11/2012

Frasier was smarter and more clever, certainly. But W&G was fun. And that's why I can still watch it.

I can still watch Friends reruns and enjoy them but I absolutely can't stand to watch Seinfeld anymore. I loved Seinfeld back in the day but now I can't watch it.

by Anonymousreply 4812/11/2012

Karen and Jack were funny, and even Grace had her moments.

But it wasn't ever the great epic show people seem to want to make it. Will was the most neutered gay man ever for most of the run. The vague suggestions that Will and Grace were together was just too fucking bizarre.

Leo was dreadful and although Bobby Cannavale could fuck me any day of the week, Vince was a bore too.

I'd lump W&G with a show like Hot In Cleveland - not exactly a classic comedy for the ages, but a fun silly show to check out every once in a while.

And Karen Walker should be in her own show....

by Anonymousreply 4912/11/2012

I liked the episode where Will tried ingratiating himself with Dylan McDermott who was a bit too close to his elderly mother. Ditto on the episodes with Minnie Driver and Matt Damon.

by Anonymousreply 5012/11/2012

I do enjoy watching Frasier reruns but certain episodes stand out. The ones with Bebe and the one titled The Ski Lodge and A Valentine for Niles stand out as laugh out loud funny.

by Anonymousreply 5112/11/2012

[quote]You people are fucking old.[quote]

Will & Grace was still airing in 2006. How old are you that you think six years ago is "old"? Twelve?

by Anonymousreply 5212/11/2012

Wait, did you watch every episode of season 1-4? You must be lonely too.

by Anonymousreply 5312/11/2012

Best episodes had Mr.Leslie Jordan!

by Anonymousreply 5412/11/2012

What's the word on MM doing a show based on Karen Walker on Broadway? I heard talk of it awhile back

by Anonymousreply 5512/12/2012

I liked the episode of Will dating the ballet dancer who was always jumping around. That's my favorite. Plus Rosario cracked me up the most.

by Anonymousreply 5612/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!