Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Women Called ‘Fat Girls’ on Restaurant Receipt

It will come as no surprise that the women in question are not merely "fat," but morbidly obese! And yet they still complain...

"How much longer must we go on, receiving insulting nicknames on our receipts, before congress steps in and Does Something? The latest in this national tragedy: a restaurant bill that called three customers "fat girls."

We open in sunny, bankrupt, Stockton, Calif., where Christine Duran and two friends were dining at Chilly D's restaurant (three tri-tips with fries, two Cokes, one Sprite):

[quote]"I got the bill, I was looking at bill [and] I was like, ‘Why does this receipt say ‘fat girls?'" customer Christine Duran said. [...] When Duran asked a manager for an explanation, he "had like a smirk on his face, like it was funny but trying not to laugh," she said.

Chilly D's owners Maggie Lewis and Jimmy Siemers have pledged to "do everything in our power to make sure this never happens to anyone again." At the very least they could have come up with a funny receipt joke."

by Anonymousreply 15312/12/2012

But they are, Blanche, they are fat.

by Anonymousreply 212/10/2012

We are not amused, and are considering suing for trademark infringement.

by Anonymousreply 412/10/2012

What if you were at a restaurant with friends and got a check that said "gay guys" on it? Would you find that amusing or be pissed off?

by Anonymousreply 812/10/2012

This is funny, I don't care who you are.

by Anonymousreply 912/10/2012

Is every customer identified with a nickname? I'd like to see all their nicknames for a given day.

by Anonymousreply 1112/10/2012

Except, r10, it wouldn't be "gay guys" it would have to be "mincing queens" for a true equivalency...

by Anonymousreply 1212/10/2012

And if the two groups came in together, they could be "mincing queens" and "fag hags."

by Anonymousreply 1312/10/2012

Fat is complimentary. Those girls are morbidly obese.

by Anonymousreply 1412/10/2012

[quote]What if you were at a restaurant with friends and got a check that said "gay guys" on it?

How would anyone know if they were gay unless they were flaming queens or holding hands and kissing. Maybe a gay waiter's gaydar could pick it up.

by Anonymousreply 1512/10/2012

Another example of 'the help' being disrespectful to the customers who help pay the costs of the business they work for, as well as what they earn. Stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1812/10/2012

That manager should be fired for incompetence. Why insult people who buy a lot of food when your job is to sell food? Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2112/10/2012

R24, none of that entitles the employees of a business that serves the public to be openly insulting to their patrons.

The girls were right to refuse to pay the check and right to demand that the person responsible be fired. Notice what the owners of the business had to say, how they took the side of the women and acknowledged that their own employees were in the wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2512/10/2012

They should have used code on the check, like "HOGZ" or "HAYBALEZ" or "LEDZEPPELINAS"

by Anonymousreply 2612/10/2012

A few months ago there was a case of restaurant receipt which had a negative word for an Asian written by an employee.

by Anonymousreply 2912/10/2012

Lady Chinky Eyes!!!

by Anonymousreply 3112/10/2012

But they are fat..?!?

by Anonymousreply 3412/10/2012

But their fat their fat bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

by Anonymousreply 3512/10/2012

OP, you are a moron. I hope they put "stupid cunt" on your next receipt because it sure is dead on accurate.

by Anonymousreply 3612/10/2012

This whole discussion is annoying because of all the tangled qualifications that come into play. The OP is right that fat people who take no responsibility for their size are irritating. But I don't think they should be made fun of for their size, we all have shortcomings. But apparently the waiter didn't know they'd see the receipt, so he wasn't intentionally trying to hurt their feelings. But it was still very unprofessional. But they got the meal for free and that should be the end of it.

by Anonymousreply 3912/10/2012

Here they are

by Anonymousreply 4012/10/2012

What are "three tri-tips"?

by Anonymousreply 4112/10/2012

I worked at a store and I had to describe customers to my coworkers, never in front of the person. I didn't know anyone's name, so it was "Yuppie couple" "Gay guy" "old lady" "Mexican dude" "fat kid"

by Anonymousreply 4212/10/2012

No, that won't be the end of it, R39. They will sue the restaurant and win. The stupid waiter won't care. He's only out his $10/hr job. The business owner is going to take it in the shorts--hard, and rightly so. He should know that you can't have a computer system that allows people with limited mental capacity (most servers) to write anything on a receipt.

OP, one bright spot is that, as you claim, these women CAN get thin. It's not easy, but it can be done. Unfortunately, there isn't a thing that can be done about your low IQ. You're stuck with it for life.

by Anonymousreply 4312/10/2012

[R41] They each ordered the tri-tip.Not sure if you are joking but a tri-tip is a cut of beef. I think it comes from the serloin

by Anonymousreply 4412/10/2012

[R43] I doubt there are any grounds for a law suit

by Anonymousreply 4512/10/2012

Is it because they are referred to as girls when they are women? It can't be about being referred to as fat, because that is true.

by Anonymousreply 4612/10/2012

[quote] I think it comes from the serloin

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4712/10/2012

Those ladies could well afford to miss a meal. Or three.

Like little houses.

by Anonymousreply 4812/10/2012

They're idiots. They were mortified when they got the receipt but now by bringing this story to the media they're known as those 3 obese women on a national, even international level.

Good job.

by Anonymousreply 4912/10/2012

Of course they called them "fat girls". Do you have any idea how hard it is to type "Hungry, Hungry Hippos" into that tiny little space?

by Anonymousreply 5012/10/2012

This is hard one, in a way. I'm hideously overweight (trying to lose). But I AM fat (ye "are, Blanche; ye are...) Now, if the server had written something like, tub of lard - or sow - or hog - THOSE are pejorative. But "fat" is a statement of fact, isn't it? No, not nice, and I agree that in a service industry where people depend on tips, and the vast majority of restaurateurs (sp?) operate on a VERY low profit margin: this is pretty dumb for a server to do.

To the poster who say,wouldn't gay men be furious if a server referred to them as "faggots": I agree, that would be a slur. And even if server wrote, "gay guys": well, you can't always "tell by looking."

I agree with the poster who fumed that "fat is the last bastion of prejudice" (if not on this thread, somewhere online; sorry, don't remember where I saw it) and this IS annoying, but guess what? Total strangers are not our "mommies" or our friends; you can't expect everyone to say nice things. But you CAN expect a place of business to, perhaps following this incident: train their staff better (or at least make up some amusing "code words."

Sorry to go on and on.

by Anonymousreply 5112/10/2012

[R47] oh dear what?

by Anonymousreply 5212/10/2012

OK sirloin

by Anonymousreply 5312/10/2012

Agee with r51

by Anonymousreply 5412/10/2012

But they are fat, Blanche, they are.

by Anonymousreply 5512/10/2012

Tres gordo amigas.

by Anonymousreply 5612/10/2012

Wow. Only one network show out of the whole group.

by Anonymousreply 5712/10/2012

"Tres amigas gordas", por favor.

by Anonymousreply 5812/10/2012

[quote]Finally, your perpetual victim mentality has led you to believe that "fat" is a "slur" on par with "faggot" or "nigger." IT IS NOT.

Actually "fat" IS a slur within context. People dining in a sit-down restaurant by wait-staff have a reasonable expectation of being treated with basic courtesy. Calling attention to anyone's body type is a personal comment. Personal comments are not polite. They are especially impolite in circumstances where they are entirely uncalled for, such as in a business that aims to please the public.

You may have an ugly face, but that does not excuse anyone doing business with you from handing you a receipt calling you "Ugly Guy."

by Anonymousreply 5912/11/2012

Fat Girls are Back! and you know you'll never go back!

by Anonymousreply 6012/11/2012

[quote]Actually "fat" IS a slur within context.

Exactly. Please don't use the word "fat." It wounds people.

by Anonymousreply 6112/11/2012

r59 is the most reasonable person who's posted in this thread thus far.

by Anonymousreply 6212/11/2012

Just because you are offended, your feelings have been hurt, and you are pissed. That doesn't give you the right to automatically win a law suit. Guaranteed that the fat girls file a suit. But.... When did it become an offense to give a description? If you don't want to be described as fat, then don't be fat. It's not like this waiter wrote "lard asses" or "hogs" or "heffers" on the check. He wrote "fat girls", and I'm not gonna lie, they were a little on the fat side.

by Anonymousreply 6312/11/2012

OP is an idiot, with no life.

by Anonymousreply 6412/11/2012

[quote]"fat is the last bastion of prejudice"

It is? Last time I checked, fat people could still get married in all 50 states. When someone passes a "Defense of Skinny People Act", or fat males are banned from giving blood for life, or states pass laws barring adoption by fat people, then maybe I'll agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 6512/11/2012

I thought tables in restaurants were designated by number. I only waited tables for a short time while I was in school, but that's how it was where I worked.

Party of three at table 8 is neutral and inoffensive; no reason for the waiter to prove he was an asshole. He can be as offended by fat people as he wants, but he worked with the public and needed to keep it to himself. I'm sure he was plenty nasty when he waited on them so they were sure to get the idea.

by Anonymousreply 6612/11/2012

[quote]What if you were at a restaurant with friends and got a check that said "gay guys" on it?

"Fat girls" is much more insulting than "gay guys." Gay is a word that, until recently, was used as an insult; it was the only term that didn't carry the connotations of fag, fairy,(hatred insults) even homosexuals (sin, or disease). It still is the "go to"word of choice for the LGBT community. Reacting to it would be tantamount to believing that being gay is a bad thing (something that today's internet youth has started on, synonimizing gay with lame).

Fat, unless used on oneself, carries an intent to hurt or harm (see r59 - with whom I totally agree), or at the very least warn.

However, I'm not sure how any of these can be seen as grounds for a lawsuit (mental sistress? punitive damages?). I can't imagine every person who's ever been insulted by a corporation or business being able to sue and win money. You know how many drunk rich people would have been sued?! The only thing you can do is publicize, demand an apology, and boycott.

by Anonymousreply 6712/11/2012

oops "was NOT used as an insult"(on the second line).

by Anonymousreply 6812/11/2012

It wasn't meant to be a description, it was meant to be an insult. How does anyone think he described young, hot girls? He was putting his personal feelings down. I don't think the owners should be held accountable, though. They should, however, not be stupid enough to allow workers to put stuff on receipts.

by Anonymousreply 6912/11/2012

Why is there any need for a waiter to write a description of customers and why does the computer system even allow it? R66 is correct. Tables are identified by number.

[quote]just because you are offended, your feelings have been hurt, and you are pissed. That doesn't give you the right to automatically win a law suit.

Incorrect. The black dude's "feelings were hurt" and he got over $100k.

by Anonymousreply 7012/11/2012

OP, it's impolite. Why shouldn't they complain?

r37 - You are just a disgusting bigot grasping at any excuse to use your favourite terms of disparagement.

by Anonymousreply 7212/11/2012

They are fat. It's a fact not an insult. If they find being fat insulting, they're insulting themselves by not losing weight. And the waiter should be promoted to manager.

by Anonymousreply 7312/11/2012

"How does anyone think he described young, hot girls?"

Probably something along the lines of 'horny cum-buckets'. Anything equally flattering in the vein of what straight 'bros' normally say about women, particularly in their absence.

by Anonymousreply 7412/11/2012

Sure, promote him to manager. That place would be out of business in about two months.

by Anonymousreply 7512/11/2012

It's probably a fake, like most of these things are

by Anonymousreply 7612/11/2012

A lot of people who are overweight actually suffer sleep disorders like apnea or upper airway respiratory syndrome (UARS) without knowing and until they are diagnosed and treated (which both cost - at least here in Australia), they will struggle to maintain a healthy weight. Waking up hundreds of times each night without knowing will send anyone's hormones haywire, not to mention make them hungry and reach for food in an attempt to maintain energy.

I am now actually underweight but only because I am fortunate enough to have private health insurance plus extra funds for what medicare and medibank refuse to cover. I think it is rude to assume that maintaining a healthy weight is all down to eating less and moving more.

by Anonymousreply 7712/11/2012

[quote]I don't think the owners should be held accountable, though.

Wrong. Nothing changes until the punishment hurts. Just ask McDonald's. They paid out $2.7 million for a "hot coffee" burn incident. The punishment far exceeded the crime, of course, but that's not the point. What's important is that now they're militant about making sure the coffee stays below a certain temperature in every one of their stores.

by Anonymousreply 7812/11/2012

C'mon, R75, you don't know a dim witted, shit stirring troll when you see one?

by Anonymousreply 7912/11/2012

What's so hard about using a table number as a descriptor? It doesn't make any sense that he needed to describe the patrons in the first place, even if his description was kept private.

by Anonymousreply 8012/11/2012

McDonald's never paid anywhere close to $2.7 million for the coffee burn case. That's what the jury awarded, but the judge reduced the award in his verdict and then the case was settled upon threat of appeal for less than the judge awarded.

by Anonymousreply 8112/11/2012

Because you're so perfect, R75? There's nothing a server could write on your bill that would make you feel embarrassed or like shit?

by Anonymousreply 8212/11/2012

I think all these fat girls should stop crying about being called fat. Be proud of who you are. If youre happy with how you look, then who cares if you're fat or skinny. Obviously these girls are happy with their plump physiques, otherwise the check would've said 3 salads. It says 3 Tri tips, that's not diet food. So, whatever, stop crying. Be proud of being fat. Nothing wrong with that. I'll take a fat girl with fat booty over a skinnie Minnie anyday. Shooooot.... I'll take her out for some tritips.

by Anonymousreply 8312/11/2012

What's so hard about using a table number as a descriptor? It doesn't make any sense that he needed to describe the patrons in the first place, even if his description was kept private.

Some people aren't good with numbers bro. I prefer that my wait personnel refer to me as sir, as opposed to table number 8.

by Anonymousreply 8412/11/2012

[quote][R3], false equivalency much? There's a HUGE difference between accurately describing women as "fat" and using a horrible racial slur.

Are you serious with this bullshit?

Yes, one is "worse" than the other, but both are cruel, demeaning and unnecessary.

You actually think its ok because it's "accurate"? Calling a black person a n***** can be called "accurate" too--it is a word used to describe a black person, afterall, offensive though it may be. The word usage may be correct but the intent certainly isn't, in either case.

by Anonymousreply 8512/11/2012

If they were fat black women, the restaurant would've been shuttered by now.

by Anonymousreply 8712/11/2012

No one's disputing that, R86. It's about common courtesy, which this server doesn't have. What's wrong with a descriptor such as 'purple shirt'? The server was being an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 8812/11/2012

Maybe the server was pissed because the table was on their 3rd refills of diet coke, and this was before the appetizer even made it to the table.

by Anonymousreply 8912/11/2012

I doubt r86 would deny they deserved the meal for free, it was rude and you don't treat customers that way. But I agree with everything else r86 said, lots of fat people refuse to take responsibility for their size, and now seem to want "fat" to be banned "hate speech" on the level of the n-word. Just go on a fucking diet if you don't want to be called fat, it's YOUR responsibility, not the rest of the world's.

by Anonymousreply 9012/11/2012

[quote]"Fat girls" is much more insulting than "gay guys."

Are you KIDDING ME?!?

[quote](Gay) still is the "go to"word of choice for the LGBT community. Reacting to it would be tantamount to believing that being gay is a bad thing

...the difference being that there IS something wrong with being fat. You don't CHOOSE to be gay or black or short or whatever. You DO choose to be fat, regardless of the various bullshit rationalizations for being fat stated on this thread (e.g. R77's absurd statement that it's because they're more prone to sleep apnea - while this is true, she conveniently left out the fact that they only developed sleep apnea in the first place BECAUSE they were fat!). Biological causes for being overweight apply ONLY to 4%-6% of the population with problems like thyroid functionality; the rest simply EAT TOO MUCH and EXERCISE TOO LITTLE. Evidence of this reality is PLAINLY visible solely from looking at the statistics for overweight & obese people 60-70 years ago versus today (in America, at least).

[quote]You actually think its ok because it's "accurate"? Calling a black person a n***** can be called "accurate" too--it is a word used to describe a black person, afterall, offensive though it may be.

More with the bullshit false equivalencies! The word "fat" is NOT A SLUR, NOT HAS IT EVER BEEN.

by Anonymousreply 9112/11/2012

R91 - 'fat' has never been a slur against someone, meant to ridicule and single them out? Are you entirely sure about that?

by Anonymousreply 9212/11/2012

[quote]Just ask McDonald's. They paid out $2.7 million for a "hot coffee" burn incident. The punishment far exceeded the crime, of course, but that's not the point.

Actually, it didn't exceed the crime. By definition, punitive awards are designed to PUNISH the "tortfeasor" in a case (generally the defendant(s)). Actual damages, what you're referring to, are another matter entirely. IIRC the jury based its award on the *total* revenue McDonald's made per day from coffee sales around the country, and awarded something like 5% of that number. Even though a couple million dollars is basically a rounding error for a company as large as McDonald's, the accompanying publicity worked VERY well, and as noted McDonald's immediately started getting militant about coffee temperature to prevent this type of thing from ever happening. (Btw IIRC this wasn't the first time they'd been sued for a coffee spill at near-boiling temperature, but it was most certainly the *last*.)

In any event, punitive (or pecuniary) damages for individual tort claims have been eliminated in most states, thanks largely to corporate largess bestowed to state-level legislators.

by Anonymousreply 9312/11/2012

if I was this grotesquely fat and a waiter described me as such on the bill I would be embarrassed and mortified and consider it a call to action to, oh, I don't know, lose weight - instead they are offended and humiliated because the only descriptive factor they all share is morbid obesity...

LOSE WEIGHT YOU FUCKING TUBALARDS

by Anonymousreply 9412/11/2012

It is a false equivalency r95, "gay guys" is the equivalent. It'd make me feel singled out, and I'd wonder if they were going to spit in my food so I wouldn't eat there anymore. But I wouldn't take offense to being referred to as gay because it's true, and nothing I'm ashamed of.

by Anonymousreply 9612/11/2012

[quote]Yeah, they could lose weight, but that's not the issue. Femmy guys, many could argue, could act more butch in public.

One more time, this time with feeling! "Feminine" men are that way naturally, either through birth and/or childhood environment, and there is nothing wrong with that. Fat people are NOT that way naturally, and they have a medical condition that is very dangerous to their overall health.

by Anonymousreply 9712/11/2012

I don't see any problem with using brief descriptions to identify restaurant patrons, if they don't mind me using descriptions when I assign percentages informing them how I want my gratuity split.

Example: "5%- rude greeter, 5%- narcissistic maitre'd, 5%- disappearing order taker, 5%- dim-wit drink pourer, 80%- hard-working busboy."

by Anonymousreply 9812/11/2012

R96,

I bet most of the people here think no one would ever spit in THEIR food, so it's not much of an issue.

Of courwe it's an issuee. Specifically, it's power-tripping by workers, something very common, particularly in restaurants. There used to be a website where servers would talk about how they abused the food of rude customers, or customers they didn't like, or those whose dates they wanted, etc.

This restaurant should have just had a sign on the door saying that fat people weren't welcome. Of course I'm sure the waiter expected a standing ovation becuase he was so "cool" for being so insulting.

by Anonymousreply 9912/11/2012

Obesity is not easy to overcome. 95% of all dieters can not maintain weight loss long term. No one likes to hear that but it's true. Dieters have a similar failure rate to alcoholics and drug addicts who try to remain sober.

If it were not near impossible to lose weight and keep it off, no one would be fat, believe me. Self righteous idiots on this thread who say, "lose the weight, just do it" are uneducated.

If you are thin, you a lucky, and that is all. You don't possess any moral superiority over fat people. You aren't smarter, stronger, better educated, or harder working. You possess nothing but fortunate genetics.

It's like blaming someone for being ugly.

by Anonymousreply 10012/11/2012

[quote]You possess nothing but fortunate genetics.

Right. Obesity rates have QUADRUPLED over the past 60 years, and "genetics" are to blame!

by Anonymousreply 10212/11/2012

I read this lousy thread and all I got out of it was "Caftan Contingent" and "LEDZEPPELINAS."

Not bad.

by Anonymousreply 10312/11/2012

R24 is unstable. Which is sad.

R22 is correct: One is business does not make an effort to drive away customers. This was unnecessary and sick behavior.

by Anonymousreply 10412/11/2012

the guy wasn't called a nigger, r3. he was simply described as "black man in blue shirt".

by Anonymousreply 10612/11/2012

"The widespread misogyny on DL is due to a combination of gay men seeking with rage..."

Seeking with rage? I don't even know what your trying to say. Shaking with rage? If they're so elderly maybe the shaking is Parkinson's or some other advanced illness. Also, wouldn't shaking with rage make it difficult to type? Were you shaking with rage when you typed "seeking with rage?" Although that doesn't seem like a manual dexterity issue. Perhaps some kind of brain anuerysm?

In any case, get plenty of rest.

by Anonymousreply 10712/11/2012

Maybe "seething" with rage?

by Anonymousreply 10912/11/2012

R111, you lack a sense of proportion. Compassion and human decency are the foundation of a civilized society. Well, that and good plumbing.

by Anonymousreply 11212/11/2012

[quote]You must be new here. The widespread misogyny on DL is due to a combination of gay men seeking with rage that women get to fuck the men they find *most* attractive, and unresolved MOMMY ISSUES due to their parents rejecting them for being gay. In both cases they're generally eldergays, given that the younger generation has had much more welcoming families and no longer limits their social circles exclusively to other gay men

And you just love hanging around here at DL for those reasons, hmm...

by Anonymousreply 11312/11/2012

Apparently, "you're old" is the new, "you type fat." Which you kind of do if you punch out "seeking" instead of "seething."

by Anonymousreply 11412/11/2012

Phat phucks?

by Anonymousreply 11512/11/2012

R102, do some research before you babble nonsense. The reason obesity has exploded in the US in the last 50 years is because of genetic engineering that has changed the chemical composition of wheat making it extremely addictive to many people (carb addiction)---not everyone, but A LOT of people. You are lucky if you are not prone. But that truly is all you are--LUCKY.

Similarly, I'm LUCKY that someone could give me a bottle of vodka and it would sit on a shelf unopened for years. An alcoholic is not so LUCKY. They would drink it in one day and go out and buy more. An alcoholic has an addiction that I'm fortunate enough not to suffer from.

At link scroll down to view the clip of Dr. Davis, who can explain wheat addiction better than I can.

by Anonymousreply 11612/11/2012

[quote]The reason obesity has exploded in the US in the last 50 years is because of genetic engineering that has changed the chemical composition of wheat making it extremely addictive to many people (carb addiction)---not everyone, but A LOT of people.

You're oversimplifying to an extreme degree. Nobody is FORCING people to eat these horrible refined carbs; rather, they do so because we've migrated to a "fast-food world," and many people are too fucking lazy to bother with cooking nutritious meals when they can just get pizza from Domino's or stuff their faces with potato chips. Also, it's not like simple carbs have gotten *more* addictive; people are simply consuming far more of them today, which has nothing to do with genetic engineering per se.

by Anonymousreply 11712/11/2012

Wrong, R117. It is NOT only simple carbs. Whole wheat bread which is lauded as a "healthy food" raises your blood sugar as much or more than a candy bar.

Stop babbling and watch the clip.

by Anonymousreply 11812/11/2012

What the kind of business allows this? Frankly, the person who put it on the receipt in the first place is just as much a problem as obesity, because you know he was some piece of shit underachiever who's angry at the world because he has to work in a shitty dive to make a living after being brought up by his indulgent parents to think he was a "star."

by Anonymousreply 11912/11/2012

Now they'll probably get their own reality show. "Keeping Up With the Three Fat Girls" or something like that. They should milk this for all it's worth. Wait, milk is in ice cream...Mmmm ice cream

by Anonymousreply 12012/11/2012

[quote]you know he was some piece of shit underachiever who's angry at the world because he has to work in a shitty dive to make a living after being brought up by his indulgent parents to think he was a "star."

Are you talking about OP?

by Anonymousreply 12112/11/2012

We prefer the term "weight challenged"

by Anonymousreply 12412/11/2012

Can someone with waitering experience explain why there is a space to write anything on the receipt other than the order?

by Anonymousreply 12512/11/2012

They should do like civilized places such as Panera's does, and demand names to be used for the tickets.

That way, Gi-Norma, Vesuvia and Rodanna could have maintained their dignity.

by Anonymousreply 12612/11/2012

[quote]the *actual* healthy bread is whole GRAIN bread, which contains a wealth of fiber and complex carbs that don't affect blood sugar in the same fashion.

Sorry you've bought into the "whole grains are good for you" myth, R122. Not surprising that you refuse to educate yourself. You will find a little research can enlighten you.

Here's an analogy to help you understand: unfiltered cigarettes are bad for you. Filtered cigs are less bad. Less bad does not = good. That's the myth that's been fed to us for the last 30 years about "whole grains." Are they as bad as white flour? No. But are they good for you? NO!!!

by Anonymousreply 12712/11/2012

Actually, humans don't need any carbohydrates at all - the one macromolecule that isn't necessary. Of course, if you don't eat carbs, you need to eat every part of the animal you're eating - intestines, bone marrow, and so on to get all your necessary nutrients.

by Anonymousreply 12912/11/2012

Was one of the women Lena Dunham?

by Anonymousreply 13012/11/2012

True, we did not evolve to eat grains and our bodies are not good at metabolizing them.

by Anonymousreply 13112/11/2012

You can get all the fiber you need, and then some from fruits and veggies, R132. Sorry you are so ill informed.

by Anonymousreply 13312/11/2012

[R135] Maybe[R133] has not heard of evolution and grains can be fattening.

by Anonymousreply 13612/11/2012

[R125] It is provided for the server to make a comment, like THANK YOU or HAVE A NICE DAY. Likely meant to induce a tip.

by Anonymousreply 13712/11/2012

Thank you r137.

This thread was so derailed and boring I almost didn't bother checking back but was really curious. Seems like they should all automatically print that on the bottom and not let waiters type anything on it.

by Anonymousreply 13812/11/2012

The space is there to actually put the name on the check. For example, a bartender trained to enter their regular guests names. Actually, all bar guests for that matter. Referring to a customer by name is more likely to create repeat service. This is hospitality 101. So, the space is actually there to place the customers name. To go orders are also generally placed under a name, it goes in that same space. Lazy bartenders, or ones who forget to properly introduce themselves and get a guests name tend to put a description in place of name. I was a server for a big chain restaurant for half my college years and a bartender for the other half. I believe I'm qualified to answer the mystery.

by Anonymousreply 14012/11/2012

They clearly need to stop that practice, R140. I don't want to go into a restaurant or bar and give them my name, rank and serial number. I hate all that fake friendly crap. Just get damn drink....and make it snappy.

by Anonymousreply 14112/11/2012

Who cares whether it's a "modifiable" trait or not? Singling out customers by physical characteristics, rather than something more appropriate like table number or name, is simply not a good way to run a business.

by Anonymousreply 14212/11/2012

Rather than make a stink about it, I'd have written "skinny tip" in the gratuity space-and totalled the tab accordingly.

Some people, like OP..have no impulse control. They literally cannot help themselves. The mechanism for internalization is missing. It goes without saying that such people are ill-suited for working with the public. My guess is that OP is a gubmint employee, like ALL the bitchy, hate-filled, caustic fags I know are. A high-and-mighty attitude and an atrocious public persona are part and parcel to all of them.

And I love the remarks about obesity vis a vis race and sexual orientation. As if you can equivocate your way out of coming off as an insensitive clod. I guess some people can't help being intractable assholes, either.

by Anonymousreply 14312/11/2012

A normal portion of tri tip isn't that caloric. Six ounces is probably has no more than 400 calories.

by Anonymousreply 14412/11/2012

[quote]If you are thin, you a lucky, and that is all. You don't possess any moral superiority over fat people. You aren't smarter, stronger, better educated, or harder working. You possess nothing but fortunate genetics.

Wrong!! I've been both fat and thin myself and every time I gained weight it was because I ate too much and slacked with my exercise. With few exceptions, fat people can overcome their genetics with diet and increased activity.

by Anonymousreply 14512/11/2012

R142 is exactly right. "Big Nosed," "Pockmarked," "Scarred," "Hairy," "Sickly," "Bucktoothed," "Bald," "Handicapped"--even if such observations about a customer are true, they have no place on a restaurant tab. Restaurants are a service industry, and characterizing customers by an unflattering physical trait about which they are likely sensitive is just stupid and immature.

by Anonymousreply 14612/11/2012

r145, just stop.

by Anonymousreply 14712/11/2012

I posted earlier in the thread abut sleep disorders and mine (UARS) was not caused by being overweight because for most of my life I've been underweight. My specialist is certain that the extra weight I carried was caused by a sleep disorder, not the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 14812/12/2012

These incidents need to stop. People don't go to restaurants to be insulted. The same person who wrote "fat girls," could easily have written "flaming queen," or "boy with chinky eyes."

Who would be stupid enough to write these insulting notes on the customer's receipts?

by Anonymousreply 14912/12/2012

if you troll-dar op you can clearly see that he/she/it is just another crazy troll

by Anonymousreply 15012/12/2012

Is the truth too much for you R147?

by Anonymousreply 15112/12/2012

It's not okay to make fun of fat people--we are all guilty of vice and uncontrollable behavior but for some reason it doesn't translate into a fat body.

Maybe the rest of us will just lose our teeth, hair, and start smelling like Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 15312/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!