Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why aren't cat treats made from mouse and rat meat?

Cat treats are made from beef and chicken which makes no sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 1712/10/2012

Maybe because rats are invariably prone to disease, not to mention difficult to pen? They also eat their young, which is always lovely to think about when feeding Fluffy.

by Anonymousreply 112/10/2012

Yeah, G/R/Umpy, I've always wondered why cat food didn't have a rat option.

by Anonymousreply 212/10/2012

It wouldn't be a TREAT if it was something cats ate naturally, like mouse or rat. That's like making bon bons out of vegetables - where's the TREAT in that?

A TREAT implies something special, different, or unusual.

by Anonymousreply 312/10/2012

Right on, R3.

by Anonymousreply 412/10/2012

All I did was ask my supervisor why, if they're going to call them cat treats, they don't make them from actual ground-up cats, and she wrote me up!

by Anonymousreply 512/10/2012

When we all give our cats allowances and they go to the store to buy their own cat food, I'm sure they'll go for the "mouse" and "squirrel" flavors.

But since humans actually buy the cat food these days, it's made in flavors that appeal to humans.

by Anonymousreply 712/10/2012

R7 eats cat food when he can't pay the electric bill.

by Anonymousreply 812/10/2012

Not cost effective to raise and process for meat. My cat prefers gopher anyway.

by Anonymousreply 912/10/2012

What I really want to know is why they make raspberry flavoured liquid medication for cats. It states on the bottle that it's for cats and that it's not to be used by humans. There's so much food colouring in there that when the jaw clamp down occurs and the inevitable head shake happens, I have a pointillism effect in the kitchen. The vet tried to give me banana flavoured meds once too. For cats?

by Anonymousreply 1012/10/2012

R6 = racist eldergay piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1112/10/2012

Is that what we put on the label, "chicken"? Well, then, by all means. It's not like we could get rats for free here in our nineteenth century St. Louis plant.

by Anonymousreply 1212/10/2012

Because not many suburban or city cat owners are going to feed their cats with any ingredient that includes rodents. That's just nasty.

Farm cats have plenty to live mice to feast on so the market for cat treats with mice is nonexistent.

I'm not touching any cat food that contains mice, rats or any rodents. I snuggle with my cat and there's no way I want anything to do with him after he's eaten rodent meat.

by Anonymousreply 1312/10/2012

Good point, OP. Why aren't dog treats made from other dogs' poop?

by Anonymousreply 1412/10/2012

If you buy them at the grocery store and the label says "Meat" it might have rats in it. Or dogs or euthanized/roadkilled cats.

by Anonymousreply 1512/10/2012

Maybe cats crave beef; but seldom can a housecat take down a cow in the wild.

by Anonymousreply 1612/10/2012

That might be true, but I don't buy my cat food at a grocery stores. It's all cheap junk. I don't even go to box stores like Petsmart or Petco. I spend a lot of money on cat food a month because I think it is part of preventative care. Spend more on quality food and you will save on vet bills later on. Most pet owners don't see it that way.

by Anonymousreply 1712/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.