Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

UC-Boulder students give professor and classmates pot-laced brownies on "Bring Food Friday"

Professor and two classmates hospitalized; the students who baked them arrested.

by Anonymousreply 4412/10/2012

That's a really mean thing to do--if you're slipped an intoxicant like that and you have no idea what's happened to you you would think you're seriously ill (which is exactly what the professor and the two classmates thought).

by Anonymousreply 112/09/2012

Were there others who ate the brownies who didn't freak out and just enjoyed the buzz?

by Anonymousreply 212/09/2012

BOULDER — Two University of Colorado Boulder students are facing multiple felony charges after they allegedly fed pot-laced brownies to their unsuspecting history class — leading to the hospitalization of three people.

The professor of the course was taken to a hospital by paramedics Friday after complaining of dizziness and dropping in and out of consciousness.

"Anybody who thinks this is cute, anybody who thinks this was funny, is going to face pretty serious sanctions, both criminally and potentially within the student conduct process," said CU spokesman Bronson Hilliard.

Thomas Ricardo Cunningham, 21, and Mary Elizabeth Essa, 19, baked THC-laced brownies for their class at the Hellems Arts and Sciences Building on Friday, said Ryan Huff, CU police spokesman.

After the professor was taken to the hospital, a student's mother notified campus police that her daughter, who had been in the professor's class, was in the hospital after having a panic attack.

Later that day, the parents of another student in the same class took her to a hospital after she told them she felt like she would blackout.

A total of eight people out of the class of 12 fell ill from the brownies.

The names of the professor and students were not released by the police.

Police said it was clear that the students' intent was to have the unsuspecting class consume the brownies.

"There could be prison time involved in this case," Huff said.

The charges include assault in the second degree and inducing consumption of controlled substances by fraudulent means.

The brownies were brought as part of a "bring food to class" day. Police said the brownies and orange juice were the only items brought to class.

It is not clear what the relationship there is between Cunningham and Essa, other than they are in the history class together.

Police said they did not know how potent the brownies were, but did say it appeared they contained just a THC product.

Cunningham and Essa are being held without bond at the Boulder County jail, Huff said.

As the investigation continues, the two they could face suspension or expulsion, officials said.

All three victims had been released from the hospital by Sunday, police said.

"This is something that we take very seriously," Huff said. "These are serious felony cases."

The campus will not ban food from classrooms in light of the incident, CU spokesman Hilliard said.

The incident comes just a month after voters passed Amendment 64, which makes it legal for people over 21 to possess small amounts of marijuana for personal use.

The CU incident should have no bearing on the law or its aim, said Mason Tvert, a leader of the campaign to pass the amendment.

"This is illegal behavior," Tvert said. "That would be like going back to prohibition because some college kids spiked the punch."

No matter what the two students may have thought they were doing, Huff said their actions were in no way a prank.

"It's felony activity," he said. "That's why we take it seriously and will continue to take it seriously."

The Boulder County district attorney will review the case, at which time Cunningham and Essa may each face more than 10 felonies, Huff said.

Both Huff and Hilliard said they have never experienced a case like this before.

by Anonymousreply 312/09/2012

you old people get out of our way. we know everything and always make the best decisions and are full adults. Stop trying to hold us back. That is all you old people do.

by Anonymousreply 412/09/2012

Hospitalized for eating a fucking pot brownie?? This is the very definition of MARY!

by Anonymousreply 512/09/2012

[quote]Hospitalized for eating a fucking pot brownie?? This is the very definition of MARY!

You don't get it.

The professor was not told he had eaten a pot brownie, and had absolutely no idea what was wrong with him. He had no reason to expect the brownie was a pot brownie. Of course he would think something was wrong with him and go to the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 612/09/2012

I love a good brownie... but this is a dirty trick to play on people. If you have no idea what you've ingested, let alone how much, I can't imagine how scared you'd be once it kicked in.

by Anonymousreply 712/09/2012

[quote]The professor was not told he had eaten a pot brownie, and had absolutely no idea what was wrong with him. He had no reason to expect the brownie was a pot brownie.

Clearly you've never been to UC-Boulder. My brother went to undergrad there. It was pretty much a given that EVERYONE toked, and a professor should not have been the least bit surprised about a pot brownie. Still, I agree it was wrong for the students to dose him like that.

by Anonymousreply 812/09/2012

R8,

Would you prefer -- from now on -- that any food served to you by someone you trust be laced with items for which you have no awareness?

by Anonymousreply 912/09/2012

[quote] It was pretty much a given that EVERYONE toked,

That's nice. You do realize that the buzz you get from eating the stuff is quite different than the buzz you get from smoking it? If I were unfamiliar with the feeling I would have panicked also.

by Anonymousreply 1012/10/2012

[quote]Clearly you've never been to UC-Boulder. My brother went to undergrad there. It was pretty much a given that EVERYONE toked, and a professor should not have been the least bit surprised about a pot brownie.

Such horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 1112/10/2012

A pot brownie can give a sustained, uncomfortable high that makes one ask "when will this be over". It's easy to eat too much and say "whoops" an hour later. I get it.

by Anonymousreply 1212/10/2012

R9, apparently you missed the part where I agreed with you. My point was merely that such a tort upon the professor's person could have been reasonably foreseen by the average bystander, given the widespread proliferation of cannabis on the Boulder campus.

by Anonymousreply 1312/10/2012

[quote]My point was merely that such a tort upon the professor's person could have been reasonably foreseen by the average bystander, given the widespread proliferation of cannabis on the Boulder campus.

Yet again: such horseshit.

That many of the undergraduates smoke pot is absolutely no indicator that they would sneak it into food they'd give the faculty.

by Anonymousreply 1412/10/2012

If I could get some I would smoke weed, used to be devoted to it. That said, it happened to me once at a party. I went home feeling odd and spent hours wondering what was wrong with me. Had I known it there was pot in the brownies would not have been a problem, would have enjoyed. Not knowing what was happening to me indeed does create anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 1512/10/2012

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 1712/10/2012

Smoking pot makes me ill -- it has happened most times I've tried it. I wonder if it would be different if I ingested it.

by Anonymousreply 1812/10/2012

I was invited to a pot luck at a fellow student's home who had smoked with me, and I took pot brownies. When I arrived, it was obvious there were people there who were not likely to be pot smokers. I didn't let go of the brownies until I told the hostess and she announced the added ingredient to everyone. Most chose to partake; others did not.

Everyone was informed and nobody freaked out.

It's not something you force onto someone unknowingly.

by Anonymousreply 1912/10/2012

You can't just take a few puffs of pot every once in a while and expect to be familiar with its effects. Most people say they don't get stoned at all the first few times. Would ingesting it be different? It's different alright, but you'd probably have the same complaint. Try it if you're interested, not too much the first time. Brownies do have the advantage of not having to smoke it, but you also have to use a lot more pot to get the same effect. The one clear advantage brownies have, is if you're willing to use a lot of pot, you can get significantly more stoned and for longer. A strong brownie high approaches tripping on acid.

Lightweights also tend to whine that pot brownies taste too much like pot. It never bothered me one bit.

by Anonymousreply 2012/10/2012

Kathy Griffin just admitted to trying pot for the first time, recently. She talked about it in her last special, said she ate pot brownies and got wasted. It is a more intense high than smoking it. I was impressed that she tried it because she's always been so uptight about drugs and alcohol, but she must agree with most liberals that pot is relatively harmless and should be legalized.

by Anonymousreply 2112/10/2012

What a shitty thing to do. Prof could have had a heart condition or something. How dare they make that decision for someone else? Kids that age are so profoundly stupid. Seriously, their brains are not fully formed. Bet they still don't get it. They're probably crying in their jail cell right now.

by Anonymousreply 2212/10/2012

r19 nails it. I choose to ingest a substance, because I've decided to experience the effects.

In a word, that's called consent.

Those of you who don't get that are the same types who would find it funny to feed a child or animal beer and then watch the "funny" effects.

Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 2312/10/2012

No one on the thread has indicated they thought it was a good idea, r23.

by Anonymousreply 2412/10/2012

R8 seems to, r24.

Still, you're correct. I did not but should have made it clear in my post that my sentiments are directed at the two students who did this.

My Folger's French Roast that I decided to ingest is still not at full effect.

by Anonymousreply 2512/10/2012

WTF is a "Bring Food Friday", anyway? Was this a university or an elementary school?

by Anonymousreply 2612/10/2012

[quote] WTF is a "Bring Food Friday", anyway?

Not sure. But it's a pretty good bet that this one will have been the LAST Bring Food Friday they will ever have.

by Anonymousreply 2712/10/2012

I was wondering that too, r26.

I dislike pot-luck events. I don't know if that started before I became at Datalounger or because of it. This situation, although extreme, is exactly why.

by Anonymousreply 2812/10/2012

[quote] Seriously, their brains are not fully formed.

You say that, but you don't hear of students in Korea drugging their professors.

by Anonymousreply 2912/10/2012

Let me guess, R30, you can order a free ebook of Wheat Belly TODAY and get an additional book for just $1.99!

Fucking Shill.

by Anonymousreply 3112/10/2012

R31 = Fucktard

Maybe YOU need to buy two copies (one to read and the other to clock yourself in the head so the message will sink in), but I found one was sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 3212/10/2012

If this book is being mentioned then we must point out you CAN still obtain real wheat that is unaltered. There are mills form which you can order it.

by Anonymousreply 3312/10/2012

[R30} For the vast majority of us that is an absolute lie.There is profit in spreading misinformation. These quacks will tell you things like eat agave syrup it is good for you. They market the shit. Agave is worse than sugar.

by Anonymousreply 3412/10/2012

Please post them R33. And how do you know for sure it isn't genetically altered? "Frankenwheat" is much cheaper to produce.

by Anonymousreply 3512/10/2012

R35 I can't 'post them' as they are at local farm markets, they grow unaltered red hard wheat and you can order it milled to your specifications.

If you care to search I am sure you can find a net source.

Italian Semolina is unaltered, American semolina...bad.

by Anonymousreply 3612/10/2012

Nope, it isn't a lie, R34. Do some research. Wheat is the devil. The evidence is startling, but people don't want to believe it. They don't want to give up their bread and pasta.

Just pull out any old photo album from the first half of the 20th century. People were not fat then, but you never saw them slaving away at the gym or running marathons. They didn't diet either--they ate what they wanted. But they were not addicted to food, so they only ate enough to be physically satisfied--not stuffed. The new, altered chemical composition of wheat (a diet staple in the US) has caused food addiction because it is an appetite stimulant. It has resulted in an epidemic of obesity and other serious health problems.

Bringing up the agave argument is a poor analogy. Of course it's just as bad as sugar, that has been pretty well established for quite some time. If you want to talk about profit driving consumption, look no further than genetically altered frankenwheat that allows producers to yield a MUCH higher crop per square acre.

by Anonymousreply 3712/10/2012

[quote]Italian Semolina is unaltered, American semolina...bad.

Interesting. That is why Italians are slimmer than we are---markedly so. They don't exercise, they eat tons of bread and pasta. But, just like our great grandparents here in the US, they aren't fat. They still grow wheat the old fashioned way.

by Anonymousreply 3812/10/2012

Not condoning this stupid act, but anyone in Boulder who ate some brownies and feels weird about an hour later should have a clue.

by Anonymousreply 3912/10/2012

That seems rational, R39. I doubt that someone who is having a panic attack because s/he thinks something is seriously wrong is going to be capable of that level of rational thinking. If the brownies had a lot of pot or it was very strong, the situation would be even worse. Not everyone takes well to pot; I've known people who get extremely paranoid when they use it.

The late husband of a friend put LSD in her drink, waited for it to take effect, then tried to convince her she was insane. She said if she hadn't heard some graphic stories of what acid was like, she would have believed him.

by Anonymousreply 4012/10/2012

Please, brownies....space cakes....are a wonderful high. Too bad these got wasted.

by Anonymousreply 4112/10/2012

Here are photos of the suspected miscreants.

Mary Elizabeth Essa has serious caneface.

by Anonymousreply 4212/10/2012

I wonder why they did it--if they really thought the professor was going to think it was funny or what.

by Anonymousreply 4312/10/2012

Now will the professor commit suicide for having been the victim of a prank?

by Anonymousreply 4412/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.