Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Trading spaces

Poll for eldergays

by Anonymousreply 4212/12/2012

I would vote for Nate Berkus who wasn't on your list.

by Anonymousreply 112/10/2012

Vern was the best designer, but Genevieve's style matched my own better.

Laurie seemed like she was the most fun, though.

by Anonymousreply 212/10/2012

Doug Wilson in his leather pants and flip flops. Oh yes he did.

by Anonymousreply 312/10/2012

I did not vote because I have not heard of any of them. I chose either Frank or Edward because they tied for lowest number of votes. I don't really want to live in a house decorated by a decorator.

by Anonymousreply 412/10/2012

Trust me, R4. You don't want to live in a theme park decorated by Frank or Edward, either.

by Anonymousreply 512/10/2012

David Bromstad.

by Anonymousreply 612/10/2012

r4, if Frank shows up to decorate, get ready to become a full-blown country queen.

by Anonymousreply 712/10/2012

Definitely Bromstad, so cute (use of 'cute' qualifies me as eldergay, i guess)

by Anonymousreply 812/10/2012

Which one was Edward? I remember the queeny (though straight) Frank and the silver-fox Doug, and certainly Vern and the women, but I'm utterly blank on Edward.

Was he one of the designers they added later like the awful Kia?

by Anonymousreply 912/10/2012

OMG, Hildi? She was the worst. The only thing I ever saw her do that wasn't either impractical or ugly was the historical home she did. She had a much bigger budget though and probably got orders not to fuck it up as it was historical.

Was Frank the fat older guy from TX who was supposedly married?

by Anonymousreply 1012/10/2012

Hildi: I want sand in my living room. The cat's litterbox is too far away.

by Anonymousreply 1112/10/2012

Beware of Frank: He'll paint a really bad picture of a spooky child peeking around the corner on your living room wall. And he'll place miss-matched chairs around your dining room table.

Edward was a middle-aged guy with a long ponytail. I vaguely remember a southern accent.

Anyone remember Dez, the lamp lady?

by Anonymousreply 1212/10/2012

[quote]Anyone remember Dez, the lamp lady?

I remember they fired her after her second appearance. She was a huge bitch and I thought she and the otherwise very laid-back Amy Wynn would come to blows.

I had a strange fondness for Hildi, if I'm able to overlook her gleeful destruction of original woodwork in that cute Craftsman bungalow she put the hay wall in. She's like that one crazy aunt that everyone secretly loves.

A lot like Sandra Lee, now that I'm thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 1312/10/2012

I would choose that beady eyed little hunk Barry Wood. Hoo, he makes my nature rise.

by Anonymousreply 1412/10/2012

Love Genevieve's style.

by Anonymousreply 1512/10/2012

Frank was country. You are all picking Yip because of his meaty biceps but his designs sucked ass. Doug Wilson was the only one with a real head for design.

by Anonymousreply 1612/10/2012

Frank was the worst, ugh. He reminded me of that awful couple that hosted Room by Room. Choose an 'anchor piece' and make the entire fucking room look like that piece. Also, the overuse of 'found objects'.

by Anonymousreply 1712/10/2012

I think the turning point for me when I realized that these "designers" were probably drunk and betting each other who could get away with the most vile shit was when Hildi glued all of the furniture for some poor hapless couple to the ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 1812/10/2012

[quote]You are all picking Yip because of his meaty biceps

I'm sorry, what?

by Anonymousreply 1912/10/2012

Hildi used to create a lot of $$$ damage. I remember they did a follow up show, once, and there were people who had to spend hundreds (probably thousands) of dollars fixing up some of the messes she created. Like, when you glue hay to a wall, you can't just scrape off the glue - you pretty much have to re-sheet the walls. Same with when she screwed all those records into a wall, and then she did something with a bunch of fabric flowers on some bathroom walls. I wouldn't let her within a mile of my house if I needed a decorator.

by Anonymousreply 2012/10/2012

R20, think of it this way.

When that show was on, even people who only casually watched it knew who Hildi was.

Today, anyone who remembers anything about that show remembers Hildi. Or at least one of her fucked up rooms.

by Anonymousreply 2112/10/2012

TLC should air Trading Spaces reruns like at 8 in the morning or sometime around then. I would totally watch (record) them.

by Anonymousreply 2212/11/2012

The gays used to love me!

by Anonymousreply 2312/11/2012

I miss Doug Wilson. I enjoyed Moving Up. What is he doing now?

by Anonymousreply 2412/11/2012

Paige was cute and perky. She plumpened up toward the end.

by Anonymousreply 2512/11/2012

Hildi's designs were a big reason people tuned in. But you never hear about her today.

by Anonymousreply 2612/11/2012

Sorry, Mindy/Page, I preferred Alex MacLeod. She wasn't as perky, but I preferred her laid back approach. I did lose some respect for her when she moved on to host Joe Millionaire, but I suppose a gal has gotta earn a living.

Hildi was awful. AWFUL. I used to say if I signed up and she showed up, I would have pitched a fit. I liked Genevieve the best. Vern was OK. I didn't care for some of his stuff, but at least he wouldn't fick up a room like Hildi, or paint fuck-all on the wall like Frank.

Amy Wynn had a nice pair of yams.

by Anonymousreply 2712/11/2012

With Genevieve, there was also the question of whether she would wear shoes.

by Anonymousreply 2812/11/2012

Hildi came up with several lulus, but hot gluing hay to the wall was really the topper. I've never seen anything as obscene before or since. Why did all these people disappear from HGTV?

by Anonymousreply 2912/11/2012

I want to eat Nate's hairy hole out

by Anonymousreply 3012/11/2012

I would let all but that stupid sow Hildi and closet case Doug tackle a redo. I remember Hildi "decorated" the kitchen of a pastor and his wife who were not drinkers. So what does the foolish bitch do? Oh, yes--she papers the wall with wine labels. Fucking dumbass! Doug got into it with the friend of the homeowners who tried to tell him the homeowners would not like what he planned to do to their room. Miss Priss got all indignant, saying that unless his whole tragically inane plan was carried out it wouldn't be the kind of room he would use in his portfolio. Excuse me, Missy, but decorating isn't about pleasing you, it's the same as hiring a whore, it's about satisfying the client. If I saw either one of those fools coming up my driveway, I'd shoot them dead before they made it to the house..

by Anonymousreply 3112/11/2012

R20 references the one I will never forget - when Hildi STAPLED artificial flowers to every square inch of some unfortunate couple's bathroom walls. The final count was something like 7,000 flowers.

by Anonymousreply 3212/11/2012

That was terrible R32. Think of alt the those petals, all thoe opportunities for mold in a damp bathroom

by Anonymousreply 3312/11/2012

Not only that, R32, R33. She also had candles on the walls within range of these flowers.

by Anonymousreply 3412/11/2012

I didn't feel as badly for the flower-petal bathroom couple as I did for the lesbian couple who owned the hay wall. The former were friends of Laurie's who obviously knew what they were getting themselves into, and their house was a big McMansion that they were probably just looking for an excuse to remodel. So they got to work with Laurie on their neighbors' home, and have a good time.

The two women with the hay wall were clearly not wealthy (I remember when the episode aired, they gave an interview that said that in addition to the damages to their home, they were also out money they needed to ship their kids to grandmas and board their dogs for filming), but they did have a charming little house with a gorgeous mantlepiece that Hildi psychotically destroyed with a sledgehammer. And they had apparently been really good friends with their neighbors, and that put a big strain on their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 3512/11/2012

[quote]I used to say if I signed up and she showed up, I would have pitched a fit.

My, you have a way with words. Are you a professional writer?

by Anonymousreply 3612/11/2012

Hildi just seemed like a snotty elitist cunt,I much preferred Genevieve she was cute and fun and actually talented.

by Anonymousreply 3712/11/2012

I'd love to go drinking with Genevieve.

by Anonymousreply 3812/12/2012

[quote]I remember Hildi "decorated" the kitchen of a pastor and his wife who were not drinkers.

I remember that couple. I found them to be boring, humorless christos. Just because someone is a pastor doesn't mean they can't have a glass or two of wine. I couldn't stand Hildi but they were lucky she only did a wine themed room and not hay on the walls. Maybe they never stated they didn't drink?

by Anonymousreply 3912/12/2012

Why is this aimed at us "old fogeys"? I am 52, and couldn't care LESS about this shite!

by Anonymousreply 4012/12/2012

I lways thought it was weird when they'd introduce a new designer and that person would be on a couple of episodes and then just disappear never to be seen again.

by Anonymousreply 4112/12/2012

GG at the Peoples Choice Awards in 2004

by Anonymousreply 4212/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!