Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Les Misérables

Since the old thread is full, continue to post reviews, thoughts, Oscar predictions, etc.

by Anonymousreply 46909/08/2013

Not having seen the movie, it sounds like, at best, it's a decent but not great movie.

I would rate it's oscar chances roughly the same as Sweeney Todd's, which, if you recall, generated the same oscar buzz (at least on DL), or almost, and wasn't really a bad movie.

But didn't get much oscar love.

Hathaway will certainly be nominated. She could but is not at all guaranteed a win. Jackman could be nominated. Samantha Barks might also get a nomination.

It might even be nominated for best film (though if the field were limited to five, I'd say forget it).

Tom Hooper's chances seem extremely slim.

The director nominees will likely be Bigelow, Haneke, Spielberg, Anderson and one other, perhaps Russell.

by Anonymousreply 112/10/2012

We shall see. I'm not concerned so much about Oscars as much as whether it's good or not. In London and on Broadway, the show opened to not-so-glorious reviews. However, it's proven to be critic proof.

Ultimately, it will be the box office numbers that define the Oscar chances of Les Mis.

I personally can't wait to see Les Mis.

by Anonymousreply 212/10/2012

Lynn Failmaster's hysterical prediction is, of course, grossly inaccurate.

The critical consensus is not on the side of this movie. Many are scathing pans, including today's from NY Magazine.

It will receive a few technical nominations (not wins), a nomination for Hathaway, and that's all. She won't win.

by Anonymousreply 312/10/2012

FIFTEEN nominations!

by Anonymousreply 412/10/2012

So what, r3?

Les Misérables is a great work of literature by Victor Hugo. One of the greats of all time. Critics can't take that away.

Les Misérables is a three-hour long depressing, dark musical full of death. But after almost 30 years of sell-out audiences in 42 countries, it is still one of the most beloved musicals of all time. Critics can't take that away.

Datalounge is full of people sharpening the knives, waiting for it to fail, but the movie is here and people are looking forward to it. Critics can't take that away.

Ultimately, as I stated in r2, Les Misérables will be determined to be a success or a failure by the audiences, as it always has been since the first performance in London in 1985.

I honestly can't tell the difference between creative jealousy or sheer bitchiness on Datalounge anymore.

by Anonymousreply 512/10/2012

r5, DL is also filled with fangurls calling this the greatest movie since Citizen Kane, so be fair; the extremists go in both uber-dramatic directions.

by Anonymousreply 612/10/2012

Yah right, r6. Les Mis is no Citizen Kane or Gone With the Wind or anything. The lyrics aren't great, the music can be cloying, it's depressing etc. But somehow it has survived. I worked on Les Mis for a few years and it was a joy. And one of the reasons I like Les Mis is because it's a stepping stone. I wouldn't know about anyone from Sondheim to Brecht to O'Neill or anything about theatre if it weren't for Les Mis. And the theatre is how I pay my bills now (I'm not an actor), and that's because Les Mis was one of my first theatrical experiences.

Look, so what about Les Mis? Maybe it will inspire someone to read a Victor Hugo novel or go see a local theater production. As candyfloss as Les Mis is, it's boils down to being all about the Arts. And the Arts enrich lives when done right.

[quote]the extremists go in both uber-dramatic directions.

Yes, that's a true and fair thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 712/10/2012

[quote] As candyfloss as Les Mis is, it's boils down to being all about the Arts. And the Arts enrich lives when done right.

Huh?

So nothing can be criticized because it might possibly inspire a young gayling to get interested in theater?

by Anonymousreply 812/10/2012

No, r8, that's exactly what I didn't say. I'm just saying I hope Les Mis succeeds and is a huge hit. I don't want it to get bad reviews, but it probably will get more than a fair share of pans, as Les Mis always has since 1985.

Is that really all you got out of my reasoning?

by Anonymousreply 912/10/2012

Saw the live musical the other day. They left out Gavroche's "Little People" song. I didn't notice until the refrain later on in the second half. Everyone in the audience sort of clapped- but then got quiet because they realize the song was missing. It can't be a fucking refrain if the initial instance isn't there!

I thought maybe the kid was sick and they had to skip it but I did some research and someone on another board said it was removed for the American tours. WHY?

When I saw this musical during it's first run YEARS ago- that song was there but now it's not? Even though it's ICONIC? It's a great song and it didn't add that much length to the show. For fuck's sake! Why?

by Anonymousreply 1012/10/2012

Little People an iconic song?! More like a serious miscalculation and possibly one of the worst songs ever written for a musical.

by Anonymousreply 1112/10/2012

r10, my guess is that it was decided somewhere along the way that the number just wouldn't work in the context of the film. Like leaving "Big Doll House" out of "Hairspray" or deleting or reducing sizable portions of the "Funny Girl" score to background instrumentals.

I'm guessing it will do all right but I can't see this film becoming a blockbuster.

by Anonymousreply 1212/10/2012

I think it'll be a hit, but not on a Titanic level as predicted. Something around like Chicago did.

Noms for Best Picture, Jackman, Hathaway and some tech

No way is Barks getting nominated because that would mean dropping Maggie Smith from the contenders. It's not an Oscar kind of performance. I'm not sure even Meryl Streep could give an Oscar kind of performance in the role of Eponine.

by Anonymousreply 1312/10/2012

r13, Frances Ruffelle won a Tony for Eponine - not that I'm saying Barks will be nominated - but the role is bigger and better on stage. I hear Eponine has been trimmed quite a bit since her character is not a major part of the book (it was beefed up for the stage show).

by Anonymousreply 1412/10/2012

[quote]I thought maybe the kid was sick and they had to skip it but I did some research and someone on another board said it was removed for the American tours. WHY?

Because it sucks ass.

by Anonymousreply 1512/10/2012

I don't think one can compare Les Miserables to Sweeney Todd. Les Miserables has already popped up on more top ten lists than Sweeney Todd ever did. It won't win best picture but I think it'll get a picture nomination as will Hathaway and the very popular Jackman. Even Samantha Barks is picking up some steam with critics nominations. Seyfried and Crowe sound horrible in the few clips I've seen though.

by Anonymousreply 1612/10/2012

Hugh sounded awful on Sixty minutes last light.....and having gay Hugh singing "Bring Him Home" to the adorable Eddie Redmayne just brings out levels I don't think the author intended.

by Anonymousreply 1712/10/2012

I stand by my original postings. It will be a monster box office hit and will be nominated and win many Golden Globe Awards, BAFTAs and Oscars.

So many of you don't have a clue the impact it will have when it's finally out in theaters.

by Anonymousreply 1812/10/2012

It's one of AFI's top ten films of the year.

It bumped up to 77% on Rotten Tomatoes overnight.

Critics Choice nominations just came out, 11 nominations (Lincoln was the only one with more, 13): Best Picture Best Actor/Hugh Jackman Best Supporting Actress/Anne Hathaway Best Acting Ensemble Best Director/Tom Hooper Best Cinematography Best Art Direction Best Editing Best Costume Design Best Makeup Best Song/ “Suddenly”

Overall, not looking bad. Certainly not as bad as the trolls here are praying it will fare.

by Anonymousreply 1912/11/2012

[quote]It bumped up to 77% on Rotten Tomatoes overnight.

Dizzyingly high!

by Anonymousreply 2012/11/2012

Why isn't "I Dreamed A Dream" nominated for best song??

by Anonymousreply 2112/11/2012

Best Song has to be written for the movie, not the stage play.

by Anonymousreply 2212/11/2012

I thought Lynn Stairmaster was wildly overpraising it before I saw it myself last week, but it really is a masterpiece. That said, it is not for theatre people (too realistically done) and it is not for film people (too much singing) so I have no idea how it will do with the public. I'd wager it will be successful just because it is a movie you can't forget. There is nothing like it and there never really has been before. Word of mouth will be really good for this one, I bet, so that will help its chances.

by Anonymousreply 2412/11/2012

R24 = Lynn

by Anonymousreply 2512/11/2012

Go fuck yourself, R25.

Out with your molars!

by Anonymousreply 2612/11/2012

Richard Roeper gave it an A.

by Anonymousreply 2712/19/2012

It'll be "Cold Mountain" all over again. Makes a decent amount of money, wins the Supporting Actress prize everyone predicted upon the casting announcement, misses the all-important director and screenplay categories but fills out the lesser technical ones.

The only difference is that, because current rules allow for more than five nominees, it will get the Best Picture nomination that "Cold Mountain" did not. But without the director nod, it'll be ignored as mere filler.

by Anonymousreply 2812/19/2012

I saw it last night. I thought it was well done and mostly well-performed. It is looooong, especially the middle section (I never have liked Castle on a Cloud or Master of the House, and they're followed by the new song where Valjean seems kind of creepily giddy about being with young Cosette).

I loved Eddie Redmayne and his 'Empty Chairs and Empty Tables' was one of my favorite parts of the movie. I hate that he's paired so much with Amanda Seyfried, whose paper-thin twittering is just godawful. Anne Hathaway sang better than I'd feared; her scenery-chewing is a bit much but I give her props for the single-take performance of the song. Oddly, I felt like 'On My Own' barely registered.

I thought Russell Crowe was quite good in the patter dialogue confrontations, but is HORRIBLE in his 2 solo numbers; like the only man who shows up for the role in community theater tryouts, so you have to cast him and hope for the best. Hugh I felt was fantastic in the first 30 minutes, then pretty pedestrian soon as he starts looking like Hugh Jackman. I did not enjoy his 'Bring Him Home.'

I loved that at the end, the moral of this movie is: If you lead a good life, then when you die, Aaron Tveit is waiting for you in heaven.

I don't take the troll bait that it's a disaster unless it sweeps all the major awards and is a box-office chart-buster. I guarantee you every hater posting that stuff loves any number of movies that won few awards and weren't huge grossers. I think it's a fine adaptation of the musical, well produced, directed and performed (for the most part). As compared to most movie adaptations of musicals, that's good in my book.

by Anonymousreply 2912/19/2012

Members of the Academy,

Your screeners are in the mail.

Enjoy!

Love,

Anne

by Anonymousreply 3012/19/2012

I don't think that I'm going to see The Miserable. I don't really know anything about it but that talking singing stuff that Jackman and Crowe do sounds quite hideous. I've heard there is only one big song in it and I can see that in the commercials. I've heard its not like seeing an Andrew Lloyd Weber production where there are tons of good songs.

by Anonymousreply 3112/19/2012

R27, Roeper gives the most awful gutter trash a positive score. I stopped relying on him and Ebert about a decade ago.

Anyway, the acting is garishly awful based on every clip I've seen. Everyone looks like they ham it up and only half the cast can sing. 'The Miserable People' are the ones in the audience.

by Anonymousreply 3212/19/2012

r31 = Ouiser

by Anonymousreply 3312/19/2012

Flawlesss camp.

by Anonymousreply 3512/21/2012

I live in Connecticut.

The last thing I want to see this holiday week is this depressing movie.

by Anonymousreply 3612/21/2012

Go see Parental Guidance instead!

by Anonymousreply 3712/21/2012

Bottom line...the Academy does not like to be told what to do. Anne Hathaway's relentless PR machine trumpeting hers as an Oscar-winning performance before she even stepped in front of the handheld camera is blowing up big time in their faces now that the film and she are not getting the raves expected. Schaudenfraude to say the least!

by Anonymousreply 3812/21/2012

R23: "flyover country"??

Seriously?

What a poor fool.

by Anonymousreply 3912/26/2012

Part of another review (from the Newark Star Ledger):

In the world of Broadway musicals, "Les Misérables" would seem to have it all - a solid literary property, a strong conflict, a love triangle and plenty of epic sweep. And certainly something won it fervent fans several decades ago - and has kept them, ever since.

But to the still unconvinced, its operatic wall-to-wall score seems to be missing some melodies. And its new movie adaptation is definitely lacking the musical performers it needs to put all of those songs over, or a cinematic approach that would make any of it new.

Like the show, the film follows the plot of Victor Hugo's (often filmed) "Les Misérables," the story of a poor Frenchman sentenced to prison for stealing a loaf of bread. After his hard time is served, he falls into trouble again, and is pursued by the relentless policeman Javert, even as Valjean rises to become a respected member of society.

It's very "I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang" - but with baguettes. Also with a call for violent revolution against a totalitarian government - and a meditation on how true peace only comes from forgiving your enemies their injustices.

Those last two ideas seem to be in odd opposition - why would it be wrong for Valjean to kill a vindictive policeman, but right that the young revolutionaries kill oppressive soldiers? It's a tricky distinction the musical chooses not to explore.

But thoughtfulness is in short supply in Tom Hooper's direction, which consistently paints the plot with broad strokes, and seems determined to ram the camera down his stars' throats.

Everything is writ large. A love scene gets the CGI addition of a sparkling butterfly; a dying character falls back against a banner that helpfully reads "Mort." (Although the story itself is overdone - with not one, but two characters suddenly dying of Convenient Movie Disease.)

Exaggerated, too, is the supposed comic relief, provided by Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen as a pair of thieving innkeepers. Neither has ever been accused of underselling a scene; here, they basically hold us down and shout in our faces.

by Anonymousreply 4012/26/2012

"Datalounge is full of people sharpening the knives, waiting for it to fail, but the movie is here and people are looking forward to it. Critics can't take that away."

Not me. I wanted this movie to be great, was encouraged by the casting and Hooper's directing it. Even the trailers looked very promising.

But now, after being bombarded with so many clips that do not merely look discouraging, but inept and, at times, embarrassing, all I can do is try to keep an open mind before actually seeing the movie. And these are not merely short clips that one can relegate to appearing ill-conceived only out of context, they are lengthy one. "One Day More," released in its entirety and a climactic part of the work, is a shit storm of over acting (only Samantha Barks Eponine makes a positive impression), abysmal editing and weak direction.

What's worse, saying this one is greeted with a response as if one is guilty of treason by those who would shout my Les Mis movie right or wrong as well as those who simply disagree with me and love it. Well, more power to its admirers, I hope the finished product is better than the clips would have me believe, but I remain skeptical.

As to whether it will be critic-proof, making money or whether the Academy will embrace it, I haven't a clue. All I care about is seeing a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 4112/26/2012

I gotta repeat: I can't believe how abysmally bad the direction is for this film. The excessive close-ups, the egregiously shaky hand-held camera, the chainsaw editing. It's like Hooper just decided to throw the camera at his actors and then slice and dice it all together. Dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 4212/26/2012

R29, the haterz are responding to the exaggerated PR hype we've been hearing since August. We didn't set the standard, the marketing and PR people did.

by Anonymousreply 4312/26/2012

Am I the only person who thought Eddie sounded a bit like a frog at times?

by Anonymousreply 4412/26/2012

[quote]Since the old thread is full, continue to post reviews, thoughts, Oscar predictions, etc.

Oscars. Bwaaahaahaaahaa! It will get ZERO Oscar nominations.

by Anonymousreply 4512/26/2012

Seriously, r44? I honestly believed he had the best voice in the entire cast.

by Anonymousreply 4612/26/2012

r29

what you said although I thought Eddie Redmayne and his 'Empty Chairs and Empty Tables' overwrought but I thought all the performances were, save Crowe.

But his singing was unbearable. Jackson was pushing for the mid notes

by Anonymousreply 4712/26/2012

R44 - serious. He was decent at times, others he seemed to be forcing notes through his throat, which resulted in the frog sound.

He was definitely one of the better voices in the cast, but best voice, to me, has to go to the other revolution guy who's name i can never remember and always refer to as "Marius' friend." HE had an incredible voice.

by Anonymousreply 4812/26/2012

r48, that was Aaron Tveit as Enjolras...but...

by Anonymousreply 4912/26/2012

...in terms of looks, my favorite was George Blagden as Grantaire.

by Anonymousreply 5012/26/2012

thanks r49 - I thought he was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 5112/26/2012

Honestly thought the movie as a whole was pretty good but just too damn long. I couldn't wait for it to end which is never a good sign. Too much. Jackman was good but his voice was shrill at times and his slow vibrato became a bore. Every song sounded the same.

Amanda Seyfried's voice was annoying as well. She was good in Mama Mia but in this she sounded like a trilling parakeet.

I really liked Redmayne, the boy has charisma and a good voice. And yes, he did get froggy on occasion.

Crowe was awful in his solos, his conversational singing was fine, and he was a good foil to Valjean.

Hathaway was the best, her performance was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 5212/28/2012

Phenomenon trumps quality. Very American. Is Les Mis really a better movie than even Phantom of the Opera or Sweeney Todd? Some say yes. A great many critics say no. But quality of the movie is irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 5412/28/2012

r54, I'd rather watch Phantom or Sweeney Todd again; at least Schumacher and Burton are good filmmakers who know the proper use of the camera and how to edit for rhythm and impact.

by Anonymousreply 5512/28/2012

I thought the stage musical was long and boring ass well. Got myself in a bit of trouble at the theater. I was with friends and we were in the third row and I could not take it any longer and in the overwrought dying scene, I said a bit too loudly, "please hurry up and die bitch and move on". Needless to say, the actors heard me as well as many folks around me. Oh well. I still think it is way over rated musical.

by Anonymousreply 5712/28/2012

All the queens bashing Les Mis on this thread are already making plans to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 5812/29/2012

Saw it today. I love the stage musical, so I was really looking forward to this. My observations:

I loved the sets, the scenery and the cinematography.

Hathaway's "I Dreamed a Dream" was an overwrought disappointment. And no way does her performance deserve an Oscar.

Jackman had the physicality for the role but his "Bring Him Home" was cringeworthy. He couldn't seem to hit any of the notes and just sounded forced.

Redmayne looked a little too much like Howdy Doody for me to believe he'd have not one but two girls in love with him, but luckily for him, Samantha Barks really sold it. Amanda Seyfried, not so much.

Anyone who has seen the 25th anniversary special with Ramin Karimloo's powerhouse performance as Enjolras is bound to be disappointed by Aaron Tveit in the film. A good voice but not much of a presence.

Russell Crowe was in this movie for the same reason Gerard Butler was in "Phantom."

by Anonymousreply 5912/29/2012

R10

Little People was removed from the show a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 6012/29/2012

I thought the movie was awful. The only person (minus Colm Wilkinson as the Priest) who acted their part, instead of acting like they were trying to act the parts, was not the person I was expecting... Amanda Seyfried, in my opinion, was the only person who wasn't being self-conscious about her role. Everyone else just seemed like they were terrified that they wouldn't come off as convincing.

Even Samantha Barks, who you would assume would have a better handle on it than everyone else seemed too scared to just let go and command her songs, especially, On My Own. It's like she saw everyone else was being quiet and figured she had better do the same.

I was extremely disappointed (spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't seen it) that they revised one of Eponine's endearing qualities... that she sacrificed and died selflessly running an errand for Marius. Instead, the film sort of cheapens her to a jealous girl who hides a love note from him. Also, I sort of hate that they cut her from the finale scene with Valjean and Fantine, which is one of the really beautiful moments in the musical.

Oh, yeah, and Ann? Awful. The only acting she was doing was acting for an Oscar, and it was transparent, obvious, selfish, and she just sucks. She's well on her way to becoming the new Goopster.

by Anonymousreply 6112/29/2012

R44

You're not the only one... I kept feeling like Kermit was singing Empty Chairs to me with a mouth full of cottonballs.

by Anonymousreply 6212/29/2012

And Russell Crowe was just excruciatingly bad. I don't know who was high enough to think that he could ever sing that part.

He was so bad that as his name came up during the end credits, the entire theater jeered him. That was just about the best part of the movie for me.

by Anonymousreply 6312/29/2012

Best. Musical. Evah!

by Anonymousreply 6412/29/2012

[quote]All the queens bashing Les Mis on this thread are already making plans to see it again.

So what? I can see it again, if I damn well please.

by Anonymousreply 6512/29/2012

I saw it, even though I hated the musical when I saw it on Broadway in the 80s. I saw it mostly because I like any movie set in a 19th-century city if the costumes and sets are accurate. And I particularly like the Victor Hugo novel.

I was surprised how much I liked it. I still cannot stand that fucking horrible "look down" song they keep reprising every fifteen minutes, but I was surprised how much more I liked the score twenty-five years since I first saw it. I thought Anne Hathaway was remarkable, and really enjoyed Eddie Redmayne's voice in particular. Liked SBC and HBC as the Thenardiers. I loved Samantha Barks. Although the role was far beyond Hugh Jackman's vocal abilities (which surprised me, given that he started as a musical star), I was surprised he was a good enough actor to otherwise carry the part of Jean Valjean--no easy feat. plus he still is very hunky and provided great eye candy. And it had great sets and costumes.

There were downsides besides Jackman's strained singing. Russell Crowe seemed like he was in the wrong movie. although she sang and acted fine, Amanda Seyfried looked ridiculous--like an enormous sugary dessert. And I could not stand the annoying child who played Gavroche. re-reading Lynn Stairmaster's original over-the-top review (which is why so many DLers got so much pleasure out of mocking the movie), his most ridiculous claim was that the child who played Gavroche deserved an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 6612/29/2012

I give up, R59. What was the reason Crowe was cast in Les Mis and Gerard Butler in Phantom? Crowe is a major film star. Butler was a relative unknown in the US when he won the title role in Phantom.

by Anonymousreply 6712/29/2012

From [R31]:

"I've heard its not like seeing an Andrew Lloyd Weber production where there are tons of good songs."

LOL! That's a good one.

Wait you're NOT kidding?

by Anonymousreply 6812/29/2012

R59

Russell is still considered a major film star? Really?

by Anonymousreply 6912/29/2012

Russell Crowe was wonderful, the man can sing.

by Anonymousreply 7012/29/2012

[quote]Russell Crowe was wonderful, the man can sing.

I didn't know Marlee Matlin was doing film criticism now.

by Anonymousreply 7112/29/2012

All my friends are orgasming on their FB pages about how good it is. Now I know for sure I will hate it.

by Anonymousreply 7212/29/2012

R72

So many people are sheep and will like what they're told to like.

by Anonymousreply 7312/29/2012

I think Crowe is still a major star, maybe not box office gold, but very famous? Heck yes. Again, I ask, what exactly do Crowe and Butler's casting have in common?

by Anonymousreply 7412/29/2012

Film is beloved across the board. Expect many Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 7512/29/2012

The film already broke records.

by Anonymousreply 7612/29/2012

[quote] I said a bit too loudly, "please hurry up and die bitch and move on". Needless to say, the actors heard me as well as many folks around me. Oh well. I still think it is way over rated musical.

You sound like trash.

by Anonymousreply 7712/29/2012

White trash like R57 should never be allowed in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 7812/29/2012

Chill, R76. It came in third at the box office on Friday, behind THE HOBBIT and DJANGO. Mind you, it'll do great internationally and it'll have much stronger legs than DJANGO. But a phenomenon, it is not.

by Anonymousreply 7912/29/2012

Another one I'll wait for on PPV. I bought into the early hype and thought this must be the best musical ever. But now it sounds like something Clint would sing in...

by Anonymousreply 8012/29/2012

I think R66 nailed it. Overall I really enjoyed it, yes there is a lot wrong with it but I left the theater feeling like I got my money's worth. I was never a big fan of the musical either. And anyone bitching about an overwrought performance from Ann Hathaway is being disingenuous. It's musical theater for christsake!

by Anonymousreply 8112/29/2012

It's not a phenomenon but let's be fair R79, it barely lost out to the Hobbit and Django on Friday while playing in far fewer theaters than both films. That's very impressive.

by Anonymousreply 8212/29/2012

Ruseell Crowe can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Jackman's voice was mediocre, as was Hathaway's. Good acting, tho.

HBC and SBC were miscast, can't sing.

Samantha Barks was superb. Eddie Redmayne was very good.

I wanna fuck Aaron Tveit. And that boy can sing.

by Anonymousreply 8312/29/2012

Never saw the play...read the book....saw the old movies...or heard the soundtrack other than the 2 songs everyone sings ( hello Susan Boyle!?)....I was really riveted by the whole movie, story lines , and am still kind of haunted by Jackman's emotional performance....it was over the top in an opera kind of way at times but it is a big, blustery musical so I was expecting it...really a great film that I want to see again...dirty teeth and fingernails and all...just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 8412/29/2012

Would fuck Aaron Tveit until the cows came home.

by Anonymousreply 8512/29/2012

I faithfully promised a friend, before she went out of town, that I'd see it with her. Then my oldest friend in the world came to town and wanted to see it, so we did.

The thought of having to sit through this shitfest a second time fills me with despair. I'll do it because I gave my word, but it will be torture.

by Anonymousreply 8612/29/2012

I saw it on Christmas day. I was skeptical because it's difficult to translate to a movie if you stick to the pure theatrical reproduction. I loved Chicago, for example, but I couldn't see this working as well. It didn't, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

One of the things that bothered me right away was that Russell Crowe cannot sing. he is a great actor and had the acting down perfect. But his voice was annoying almost like fake singing.

Another issue that I had with the movie was how dark it is most of the time. Yes, true to plot, but it was always dark and fuzzy in the background so you could concentrate on the faces. It got old after a while.

Another problem, for me, was that during the longer numbers you mostly just saw that character singing, close up. When you are in the theater you can see the whole stage. You can look at what other characters are doing, the set, the lights, whatever. You don't just examine the close up of the dental work of this actor, then that one. It wasn't 100% of the time, but often enough that I found it annoying.

And while Hugh Jackman is indeed great in this, he too had way too many long closeups where he could only act with his facial muscles, because you can't see anything else. He does a great job but that is not taking full advantage of his talents. Besides, after seeing his eyes surprise, angry, scared, whatever all played out in the first number... it gets repetitive.

Anne Hathaway is flawless from beginning to end. Although the ads make it seem like the movie is about her, she is pretty much done after the first third of the movie. Yet, her performance is what makes this a good movie. The only character you fully believe.

I did not like Amanda Seyfried. Did not like her voice and thought her performance was no different than most of the kids in my high school's drama class. I never understood the fuss about her.

I was disappointed with Master of the House. It just didn't feel like the fun and funny number that it had been on stage.

The set was fantastic, when it was lit enough so you could see it.

The general acting/singing was pretty good. The audience clapped at the end, but it took a moment or two before they started. Almost as if they felt it was obligatory rather than emotionally driven.

I expected a huge turnout for openning night because of the built in fan audience. The question is will they be able to sustain it. I am not sure about that.

Anne for the Oscars. She deserves it 100%.

by Anonymousreply 8712/29/2012

So disappointed in this film. I was hoping that this movie would be amazing but there were so many things that went wrong. Horrible direction. The camera work was distracting and the visual choices were limited.

This review from the AV Club sums it up for me. I would have given it a C though.

by Anonymousreply 8812/29/2012

Crowe's performance was wooden almost like he had to take a shit but couldn't. And his singing was all right but I really wanted Javert to show vocal power equal to the strength of his character. The fact that he couldn't make his whole character ineffective for me.

Hathaway was only in it for about 15-20 minutes. She was okay. Yes she gives a very emotional performance in IDAD but it was just one scene. Not fair to actresses that have to sustain a role throughout an entire film AND who do a good job in that role.

by Anonymousreply 8912/29/2012

[quote]Hathaway was only in it for about 15-20 minutes. Not fair to actresses that have to sustain a role throughout an entire film.

I agree, R89!

by Anonymousreply 9012/29/2012

I farted. Now give me an Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 9112/29/2012

I hope the Best Supporting Actress Oscar is given out 45 minutes into the telecast so I can have a meltdown when I lose and win the Emmy for best individual performance in a variety or special.

by Anonymousreply 9212/29/2012

That whole theatre count thing is disengeuous. If it was playing on two hundred screens versus two thousand for another film, you'd have an impressive comparison. But it's playing in every city, in every multiplex. If someone wants to see it, they can see it. On the other hand, DJANGO is R-rated, which seriously curtails its (presumably young, male) audience, and THE HOBBIT is three weeks into its run.

by Anonymousreply 9312/29/2012

I really liked Anne Hathaway, and tout her performance was great. but I still seriously doubt she'll win the Oscar--she has not been winning any of the major critics' awards. I think she'll just be nominated (as will Jackman's, who certainly can't win over DDL).

by Anonymousreply 9412/29/2012

"tout" should read "thought"--damn autocorrect.

by Anonymousreply 9512/29/2012

I unfortunately never saw the Bway musical even though I was living there at the time. (was friends with a bunch of other struggling actors; I wanted to go but was shouted down, my friends saying, It's too Commercial!)

Yeah, right. Wish I'd gone. Have heard the OCR umpteen times and enjoyed the 25th (British) TV special on PBS - superb.

But, yes, neither Hugh Jackman or Russell Crowe can really sing those roles that well: Jackman doesn't have the voice Colm Wilkinson did - and aren't the notes in "Bring Him Home" fairly high? but I imagine he does a good enough job.

I was watching on On Demand the 14-minute preview; someone (producer?) mentioned that Russell Crowe STARTED his career in musicals, in Australia. Hmmmm. Only thing I can think of: unlike Jackman: musicals, one-man show, etc., Crowe - other than singing with his group "40-Odd Foot of Grunts" (if I have name right?)- has probably been away from singing for a while, and it shows.

Too bad filmmakers weren't brave enough to cast a black actor as Javert; Norm Lewis did well in the 25th anniv special.

And I wonder if some non-stars - i.e., good, stage actor/singers - might have nonetheless brought people in to the theaters? On the strength of the material itself? I'm probably hopelessly naive. Almost wonder if film might have worked

by Anonymousreply 9612/29/2012

Guys, let's not hate on R57 (other than those of you who are actors.) R57, I love you! I'm sitting here laughing my ass off! I, also with friends, have made similar comments at films - and had people near us GLARE -but I've never had the balls to say something like that in a theater; good for you! (but we'l hope you didn't say it too loudly, hee-hee!)

Yes, it's rude/disrespectful, I suppose (although comedians are routinely heckled, and THEY're performing, yes??), but sometimes: probably well-deserved.

Heh-heh-heh!

by Anonymousreply 9712/29/2012

Terribly boring, over-hyped contrived movie.

by Anonymousreply 9812/29/2012

R96, if you want to know how that turned out - casting non-stars - see the film version of Phantom!

by Anonymousreply 9912/29/2012

R96 here: thanks, R99, point well taken. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 10012/29/2012

Late to the party; just reading different online reviews now. Got a kick out of the SF Chronicle 12/24 review by Mick LaSalle: mixed review, so-so-, doesn't hate it completely, but the funniest quote:

(Re Hugh Jackman): "...has a high, pinging, pleasing tenor..."

Pinging! hee-hee-hee-hee-hee!

by Anonymousreply 10112/29/2012

Just saw it.

It's a bombastic, in-thier-face-and-yours, unabashed, unashamed big musical and, oh, did I love it.

Still, it easily could have been trimmed a good 15, if not 20 minutes while retaining its power.

Sue me, but I enjoyed Crowe's singing. It seemed to fit Javert, kinda like Kim Novak's absence of acting talent enhanced her portrayal of Madge in "Picnic."

Redmyane can sing but, man, he's homely.

by Anonymousreply 10212/29/2012

This is one of the greatest films ever made. It is EXTRAORDINARY. The casting is perfect. The way they sing makes it feel far more real than the stage versions.

And the director has included many things that are in the book which were left out of the stage versions. These additions let the show make more sense.

But above all, Hugh Jackman is PERFECTION as Jean Valjean. He was made for this role. No one else on earth could have pulled this off like Jackman did. If he gets no Oscar there is no God.

by Anonymousreply 10312/29/2012

Colm Wilkenson: wonderful.

Russell Crowe: they finally made the character of Javert believable. SPOILER: his pinning the medal on Gavroche's dead body was the beginning of the end for him - he actually had a heart. His death scene was fantastic.

The Thernadiers: well-cast but their numbers were poorly conceived, staged, and directed. Comedy replaced by sleaze.

Eponine: wonderful. Her stage roots were showing.

My major complaint: too much of the close-up, live singing, intimate shtick, and not enough of the sweeping orchestral moments at full volume. I could hardly hear the orchestra.

Hooper seems like a one-trick pony. For instance, he had the chance to do ONE DAY MORE as the grand number it was meant to be on stage, and instead resorted to a dizzying array of close-ups and fast cutting. He just didn't trust the music and didn't understand the operatic scope of the story. He did succeed in the opening scene: LOOK DOWN as sung by the chorus of men pulling the wrecked ship into dock. Big, grand, sweeping, fantatsic.

by Anonymousreply 10412/29/2012

Saw it today....it's nearly 3 hours, felt like 6. Tedious, tedious movie. After 2 hours I wanted to stand up and yell "Just die already!"

by Anonymousreply 10512/29/2012

Some like it, some don't.

by Anonymousreply 10612/29/2012

I loved it - the show and the movie. I don't understand the attitude towards it by theatre snobs and critics. I have never met anyone who saw it who did not love it. It sure beats Follies.

by Anonymousreply 10712/29/2012

Probably the BEST musical that I've seen in ages!

by Anonymousreply 10812/29/2012

Norm Lewis as Javert? His voice isn't that great, but then again Javert is more believable if his voice is imperfect.

Which is also why Russell Crowe was very good in the part. And since Crowe is known to be a rather testy chap, that makes him perfect for it.

by Anonymousreply 10912/29/2012

Saw the film today, theatre three-quarters full. Am familiar with the novel but not the musical. Was a bit miffed at how underwhelmed I felt when it was over. Redmayne was terrific, and I thought Crowe was damned good, especially his swan song. Jackman, I thought, struggled with many of the songs, and I found Hathaway's big number forced and overdone. Bonham-Carter and Cohen were spot on, and the youngsters playing Cosette and Gavroche' were exceptional. Overall, it was ok, but I won't be recommending it to friends.

by Anonymousreply 11012/29/2012

[quote] For instance, he had the chance to do ONE DAY MORE as the grand number it was meant to be on stage, and instead resorted to a dizzying array of close-ups and fast cutting.

That's the one song that benefits from quick-cutting. The song is very reminiscent of the "Quintet" from "West Side Story". It was brilliantly done in WSS and well done in Les Miserable.

by Anonymousreply 11112/29/2012

[quote] Russell Crowe STARTED his career in musicals, in Australia

I think it was just for a run of The Rocky Horror Show. That hardly gives him a real base for serious musical theater.

by Anonymousreply 11212/29/2012

I haven't seen Those Miserables yet but I did see L'hobbit and can see why it's doing so well at the box office. It's just a fun roller coaster ride of a movie, full of action/fantasy film cliches but all of them very effectively used. And Martin Freeman, astonishingly, carries the film--he's quite an entertaining guy it turns out.

by Anonymousreply 11312/29/2012

[quote]But above all, Hugh Jackman is PERFECTION as Jean Valjean. He was made for this role. No one else on earth could have pulled this off like Jackman did. If he gets no Oscar there is no God. t I thought Jackman was rather unimpressive, and his singing was atrocious at time. He totally butchered "Bring Him Home" which couldve/shoud've sealed the deal for him. But he didn't rise to the occasion. I don't see the Academy awarding him over better performances (i.e. DDL, Phoenix, Washington), unless LES MIZ continues to do well and becomes a smash hit; they could pull a Sandra Bullock and award him to honor him for his career.

by Anonymousreply 11412/29/2012

Are there technically different names for (1) "musicals" where there is spoken dialogue interspersed with musical numbers, and (2) "musicals" where everything is sung by the cast - the big musical numbers as well as the basic dialogue.

I generally loathe singing dialogue, so I really only like the first type of musical. But, this looks good so maybe I'll see it.

by Anonymousreply 11512/29/2012

R115, #1 is just called a musical, #2 is called a "sung-through" musical.

by Anonymousreply 11612/29/2012

Enough already with this stupid musical!!

by Anonymousreply 11712/29/2012

A lot of noise over a loaf of bread. Someone should have called for restraint.

by Anonymousreply 11812/29/2012

I felt like I was being held prisoner of the French Revolution. I escaped twice to the lobby to check emails. The second time drafted a work email and returned when they were trudging thru the sewer and thanked dog that this wasn't smellovision as this wouldnt have been the first time the movie smelled of shit.

Great to see that Helen Botumn Carter (sp?) has found an on screen husband that matches her real life one. They are the only part of the movie I liked. They should make a Tim Burton (sp?) movie together.

by Anonymousreply 11912/29/2012

[quote]Enough already with this stupid musical!!

Then don't read about it, dumbass!

by Anonymousreply 12012/29/2012

Actually, "Helena Botumn Carter" is pretty brilliant as misspellings go.

by Anonymousreply 12112/30/2012

Anne Hathaway is so obnoxious, she's making her performance seem better than it actually is.

by Anonymousreply 12212/30/2012

That makes no sense, Sally Field Fan at R122. What a dumb statement.

by Anonymousreply 12312/30/2012

Say what you will about Hathaway's acting, but she can SING!

by Anonymousreply 12412/30/2012

Actually R123, it makes perfect sense. She's in les miserables for 10 minutes and sings a shitty fucking song. I'm tired of her talking about how much weight she lost as though she isn't getting paid for it. Who said I was a Sally Field fan? Eddie Murphy gave a better performance in A Thousand Words than Anne did in les miserables..and that's saying something

by Anonymousreply 12512/30/2012

r123, when Anne is out there making public statements that even SHE crys when she sees her performance, then r122 is absolutely correct.

I can't imagine this is doing her any favors in the Oscar race.

by Anonymousreply 12612/30/2012

[quote]when Anne is out there making public statements that even SHE crys when she sees her performance

Anne said she CRYS when she sees her performance? An egomaniac and a dumbass who can't spell either!

by Anonymousreply 12712/30/2012

Oh, Jesus, Mary and Zephaniah, it's Sunday morning, r127, I just got up. Please, just die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 12812/30/2012

Girls, girls, GIRLS!!!

Can't you see Anne Hathaway is tearing you apart?

by Anonymousreply 13012/30/2012

Saw it in a full theater, on a weeknight, in a small town. I think it's going to make money over the long term.

Movie very good but would have been better, if the director had let the singers do at least a little studio work. Crowe in particular has a naturally powerful voice, but doesn't know how to use it to its best potential. A bit of coaching and editing, and all those power notes wouldn't have gone to hell. And if Remayne had been allowed to sing in a studio, he wouldn't have been shaking his head like that, every time he hit a high note.

But those are minor quibbles, it's reaaly quite wonderful overall. I definitely need the DVD, a Special Edition if they make one.

by Anonymousreply 13101/04/2013

It's pretty much going to win every Oscar award, JMHO.

by Anonymousreply 13201/04/2013

It's not going to win anything. After these reviews and the middling box office reception, the only acting nom will be for Hathaway, and she won't win.

by Anonymousreply 13301/04/2013

4 - 6 nominations

Best Picture (maybe, if they go for 10)

Best Actor, maybe

Best Supporting Actress

Best Sound or Sound Editing

Best Song, maybe

by Anonymousreply 13401/04/2013

I agree, Hathaway has a great voice but her performance was just too annoying. I couldn't wait for her to die.

by Anonymousreply 13501/04/2013

Horrible review in the NY Times today.

by Anonymousreply 13601/04/2013

[quote]It's not going to win anything. After these reviews and the middling box office reception, the only acting nom will be for Hathaway, and she won't win.

Oh, Les Miserables isn't going to win, because you said so? It's going to get nominated and win every award. Zero Dark Thirty and Argo are not hoping to win, if that's what you think.

by Anonymousreply 13701/04/2013

I actually liked Les Mis but I don't see it winning very many Oscars. Maybe not even Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 13801/04/2013

[quote]it is still one of the most beloved musicals of all time. Critics can't take that away

Sing it girl! Popularity rulez!

by Anonymousreply 13901/04/2013

'Tis true, R127.

{quote]"I cry, but I think it's because I'm still connected to the experience of making it, the process," Hathaway told MTV. "For me, when I see it, I actually have to be aware when I'm doing press, because it brings me a lot closer to Fantine. She's so broken that I actually have to protect myself a little bit. So when I saw it, I did cry, but not because of what I was doing [on screen]. It was because I was back in the process of making it. The rest of the film made me bawl like a baby."

Notice how she managed to subliminally remind us yet again the process of her transformation, i.e. her weight loss, getting her real hair chopped, overall state of physical/emotional deprivation she experienced. This girl is shameless for that Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 14001/04/2013

Def in the top 10 movies ever:

1. The Wizard of Oz

2. Les Miserables

3. Citizen Kane

4. Oklahoma

5. The Music Man

6. Annie Hall

7. Gone With The Wind

8. The Sound Of Music

9. Grease

10. Chicago

Les Mis is the best movie I have seen in the last 20 years. Anyone who dislikes it is a self-loathing person. It is a movie that should be embraced by each of us. An artistic triumph.

by Anonymousreply 14101/04/2013

R141

Bitch, please. Les Mis is mediocre at best. I respect your opinions on your top ten movies, but I would not regard any of those in the top ten best of all time.

by Anonymousreply 14201/04/2013

R137 = delusional.

by Anonymousreply 14301/04/2013

I think this is a parody post.. at least I hope it is. The movie does not belong on any 10 best lists.

by Anonymousreply 14401/04/2013

I think a lot of Les Miserqueens are going to be mighty upset when they announce the Oscar Nominations in a few weeks. Best Picture? Perhaps....but Best Actor is far from a lock. I remember when "Dreamgirls" was supposed to amass all these nominations but in the end, it only garnered a few.

by Anonymousreply 14501/04/2013

R142 & R144

It's just a sampling of MY ten favorite movies. I don't give a rat's pink cunt if anyone else likes them or not, sugar. It's MY opinion. I gets my kicks above the waistline, sunshine. If you don't like MY list then go watch your Transformers, Van Damme, Star Wars and Rambo movies and leave the good taste to those of us who have it. I have class. Talk to the hand.

by Anonymousreply 14601/04/2013

R146 You say you have "class" and then you go on about a "rat's pink cunt"? That's real class. And what's wrong with Star Wars? You're being douchey.

by Anonymousreply 14701/04/2013

LOL...I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine.

by Anonymousreply 14801/04/2013

Les Miserables was a pile of shit. I went to see it with a group of friends (expecting to love the movie). We were all disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 14901/04/2013

R146 You are truly disturbed if you hate Star Wars. There is no joy in your life. What the fuck was that "I get my kicks above the wasteline, sunshine" random shit out of nowhere? What did that have anything to do with anything? Are you stoned? "Chess" sucked almost as much as "Les Mis", Ms. Holier Than Thou.

by Anonymousreply 15001/04/2013

I have a friend who said there wasn't a dry eye in the house when she saw the movie. I didn't find it all that moving.

by Anonymousreply 15101/04/2013

All of you naysayers will be proven wrong when the Oscars are announced. Be warned. Best movie I have E-V-E-R seen. Very emotional.

by Anonymousreply 15201/04/2013

R152:

You haven't seen many movies, I take it?

by Anonymousreply 15301/04/2013

"best movie ever?"

These have to be parody posts.

by Anonymousreply 15401/04/2013

LES MIZ is manipulative tripe. Just 'cause it made you cry doesn't make it a good movie. Just like if a movie makes you laugh doesn't make it good. I laughed during DEUCE BIGELOW: MALE GIGOLO, but that doesn't make it a great movie. In fact, it's a shitty movie, but it's shitty fun.

by Anonymousreply 15501/04/2013

Best movie of 2012? Yeah, right up there with Magic Mike and Rock of fucking Ages.

by Anonymousreply 15601/04/2013

My Oscar predictions regarding Les Miserables:

Definitely:

Best Supporting Actress (Anne Hathaway)

Best Production Design (formerly known as Best Art Direction)

Best Sound

Best Original Song ("Suddenly," though it will likely lose to Adele's "Skyfall")

Maybe:

Best Picture

Best Actor (Hugh Jackman)

That's it. 4 at the least, 6 at the most.

by Anonymousreply 15701/04/2013

I'd like to sue Tom Hooper for assault, because that's how I felt after seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 15801/04/2013

Nominations:

Picture

Sup Actress

Costume

Sets

Sound

Makeup

by Anonymousreply 15901/04/2013

Remember Lynn's OTT post predicting 15 Oscar nominations? Yeah...

by Anonymousreply 16001/04/2013

R157, I think Picture is definite, too, now that there's between 5-10 slots open. But four years ago, when the limit was still five, it wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell, since it was possibly the hardest category to get in. Now it's one of the easiest categories to get in, no matter how mediocre the film. smh

by Anonymousreply 16101/04/2013

Got to say fellas, as much as he seems a loving dad and eager to please entertainer, dedicated, respectful, good to crews blah blah blah I really hate Jackman's singing voice. To me it sounds, reedy ? Like, nasally?

by Anonymousreply 16201/04/2013

My sister saw it yesterday, knowing nothing about the book or the play. She loved it, cried through the whole thing. It's very middle-America-friendly.

by Anonymousreply 16301/04/2013

Latest assessment from The New Yorker:

[quote]What's wrong with a good cry? What harm does it do anyone? No harm. But I would like to point out that tears engineered this crudely are not emotions honestly earned, that the most cynical dictators, as Pauline Kael used to say, have manipulated emotions with the same kind of kitsch appeal to gut feelings. Sentimentality in art is corrosive because it rewards us for imprecise perceptions and meaningless hatreds.

by Anonymousreply 16401/04/2013

Hathaway may win. Even Maggie Smith got an Oscar out of a much maligned film.

by Anonymousreply 16501/04/2013

r164, I normally despise David Denby, but, for once, he's absolutely on-target.

And check out the comments. The Les Mis queens and fraus are absolutely deluded.

by Anonymousreply 16601/04/2013

There is no group more rabidly crazy than modern day musical freaks. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 16701/04/2013

I have to laugh whenever someone claims "Ls Miserables" will get a best makeup nomination. Was it really so hard to apply smudges of dirt to Anne Hathaway's face?

by Anonymousreply 16801/04/2013

Exactly, R168. They couldn't age Jackman appropriately. Valjean is supposed to be in his mid 40s as the start and age an additional 20 years during the course of the story, but he seems to have defied the aging process.

by Anonymousreply 16901/04/2013

What does Jesse21 think?

by Anonymousreply 17001/04/2013

So, according to Mr. Denby, porraying peasant life in 19th century Europe as brutal, mean and dog-eat-dog is maudlin? Really? Life then was a big bowl of cherries and poverty and starvation and raw brutality are figments of Hugo's imagination?

Quite frankly, I'll take Hugo's description of life in 19th century Europe before I believe a word of some 21st century poseur like Denby. I'm guessing Denby is a Republican and all this talk today of income inequality and the 1 percent is just a bunch of rabble from malcontents, the direct descendants of malcontents of the 19th century.

by Anonymousreply 17101/04/2013

Snort. R171 is hilarious.

As if a musical is going to be in any way historically accurate.

by Anonymousreply 17201/04/2013

R171 there are ways of portraying reality in ways that still sort everything into neat good/bad categories.

Les Mis kind of does that. I like it, but it's so fucking sanctimonious. And the fact that so many people think it's about the French Revolution speaks volumes. We learn next to nothing about the students but we're pretty much forced to be on their side because of how little information we're given.

by Anonymousreply 17301/04/2013

It would be a real message to Washington if a film with such timely themes as torture, rendition and poverty were to win the best picture prize. Unfortunately, the liberal oligarchy will vote for the feel good nostalgia of Lincoln.

by Anonymousreply 17401/04/2013

Yes, politicians in Washington would be quaking in their books if the boundary-pushing, edgy and groundbreaking Les Miserables won Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 17501/04/2013

LES MIZ is a very mediocre film. It's amateurish filmmaking. It has no place winning the ultimate prize. Maybe one for Hathaway and a couple tech nods, but that's it. People are mistaking sentimentality with great filmmaking.

by Anonymousreply 17601/04/2013

Was I drunk during filming?

by Anonymousreply 17701/04/2013

[quote]It would be a real message to Washington if a film with such timely themes as torture, rendition and poverty were to win the best picture prize.

You are a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 17801/04/2013

[quote]It would be a real message to Washington if a film with such timely themes as torture, rendition and poverty were to win the best picture prize.

Truly one of the dumbest things ever written on DL.

by Anonymousreply 17901/04/2013

plus the stress of short hair

by Anonymousreply 18001/04/2013

I saw it over New Years. I was sitting near an Olde Queen who wept through most of the songs. I wanted to weep too but likely not for the same reasons.

The Olde Queen literally jumped out of his seat when Javert hit the water.

by Anonymousreply 18101/04/2013

yOu never know - R175 might be on to something. Other mediocre films with possibly timely themese have won BP Oscar before. No, I can't think of any right away, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 18201/04/2013

[quote] Olde Queen

I love this! I'm picturing a queen who went in costume. Fantine's factory costume.

by Anonymousreply 18301/04/2013

How soon we forget 'Crash'.

by Anonymousreply 18401/04/2013

R146

Hathaway has no business winning that prize either.

I don't know who looked at a film like King's Speech (which I liked) and based off that said.. "Oh, Tom can totally direct a huge, sweeping, epic musical."

Newsflash, he couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 18501/04/2013

Exactly, r185. What surprises me is that directors who cut their teeth on music videos -- David Fincher, for example -- have never tried a musical.

by Anonymousreply 18601/04/2013

"The Terminator, the Musical" - That's what I'm waiting for.

by Anonymousreply 18701/04/2013

Finally! Russell Crowe makes a decent movie. Never thought it would happen.

by Anonymousreply 18801/04/2013

[quote]And the fact that so many people think it's about the French Revolution speaks volumes.

Speaks volumes about illiteracy? The movie literally writes out the sequence of events, timeline, etc.

by Anonymousreply 18901/04/2013

Get over it bitches. Les Mis is a movie for the ages. Get over it. Get over it. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 19001/04/2013

R189, but also in the movie a soldier yells at the students at the barricade, "Who's there?" and Enjolras shouts back, "It's the French Revolution!" I thought that was just gonna confuse people even more.

by Anonymousreply 19101/04/2013

I saw it over the holidays and I am a true Les Mis addict having seen it multiple times in the theater.

For me it was okay. I'd see it again. The film took off for me with Black and Red in the second half. I thought the best performers were the chorus, Enjoras, Marius, and Eponine.

Not that I wasn't interested before but there were a couple of miscasts. Mostly everyone agrees that Russell Crowe was miscast. He did not do Javert any justice. His singing let down the character. That was the worst Stars I ever heard. Javert is a multilevel character and Crowe missed it.

Jackman, in my opinion would have been excellent as Javert. Vocally he could have rocked Javert's songs. As Val Jean he acting his ass off which I applaud but some of the songs were too high for him. I didn't think Bring Him Home was what it was for me when I listen to/seen others.

Anne was miscast to. I thought vocally she did a good job, but I could not believe her as Fantine. I didn't feel the connection with her and Cosette. In choosing to strip it down did create an different I Dream a Dream, which I enjoyed. It took away from the song. The songs are what brings the emotions. The director didn't trust the songs and music. I do think the director was partially responsible for what I think is a B- movie that could have been a A+.

by Anonymousreply 19201/04/2013

R192

Touching on the whole stripped down I Dreamed A Dream... the nauseating Ann in one of her eye-rolling, self-congratulatory interviews said it would have been "selfish" for her to do the "pretty" version of the song.

When in fact, it was selfish and calculating on her part to change the song. She not only stripped faithful fans of what they wanted... she made it so that it would be all about her. THAT is the definition of selfish.

by Anonymousreply 19301/04/2013

No thanks, R193. There's no way I'd want to count Anne's cavities and fillings as she belted out I Dreamed a Dream on screen. It would have been headache inducing if the song had been belted even half of how it is on stage. It's like imagining Jennifer Holliday licking her lips at the chance to sing And I Am Telling You on the big screen. Head.Hurts.Already.

by Anonymousreply 19401/04/2013

Hilarious hater review. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 19501/04/2013

R194

I'm not saying I wanted to see her do it. I'm saying her excuse was pathetic and she tried her hardest to make the entire musical about her and it was transparent.

by Anonymousreply 19601/04/2013

R195 laughs loudly as his Pauly Shore DVD collection too.

by Anonymousreply 19701/04/2013

Thanks, R195! LOL at this:

[quote]You don’t need to buy the soundtrack. I’ll sum up every song in the movie. Here you go: “I’m so lonely, I’m so alone, look at me my life is hard, I’m alone, I’m on my own, there’s this empty chair here, it’s empty because I’m alone, I’m lonely, all this bad stuff has happened to me because of my inexcusably stupid life choices, I’m alone, I feel so alone, on my own, on my own, on my own, did I mention I’m on my oooooowwwwwn?”

XD

by Anonymousreply 19801/04/2013

[quote]Les Mis is the best movie I have seen in the last 20 years. Anyone who dislikes it is a self-loathing person. It is a movie that should be embraced by each of us. An artistic triumph.

You are so right! All haters of Les Mis are ludicrous and outrageous.

Les Miserables is the greatest musical that I have seen in ages. I would be shocked if it doesn't win Best Picture and Best Director.

by Anonymousreply 19901/04/2013

I've never seen a Pauly Shore movie, R197, and I spent two years of my life in Les Miz.

by Anonymousreply 20001/04/2013

Didn't hate it, didn't love it. Didn't really like it either - I mean, not to the extent that I'd want to see it again. Well, I wouldn't mind seeing the Eponine scenes again, she was the only character in the whole movie I found believable and the actress really made me feel for her.

On the other hand, though I have never been a Russell Crowe fan, I actually kind of liked his singing.

Yeah, I cried at the end but at the same time I was wondering (as I had been throughout the whole movie) why Valjean let his cruel foreman thrown Fantine out into the streets in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 20101/04/2013

In other words, as a pimply adolescent I spent two years in my bedroom crying as I acted out the Les Mis cast recording.

by Anonymousreply 20201/04/2013

I'm finding all these subsequent opinions interesting. I think Matt Walsh's opinion (which has gone viral) hugely funny. Maybe Les Miserables will turn out to be The English Patient of 2013-as it wins awards men across America will be hollering "What the fuck?"

But I stand by MY opinions of it. And I believe next week it will be nominated for:

Best Picture/Best Actor/Best Supporting Actress/Best Supporting Actor/Best Director/Best Adapted Screenplay/Best Song ("Suddenly")/Best Cinematography/Best Art Direction/Best Film Editing/Best Sound Editing/Best Sound Mixing

And maybe Best Costumes and Best Visual Effects, too.

Take it as you will, bitches. I know you won't disappoint me.

by Anonymousreply 20301/04/2013

You've already lost in your prediction, Lynn. It's not eligible for a screenplay nomination.

And I find it sad that the linked review has gone viral. There have been plenty of well-written criticisms that should be viral right now rather than the poorly-written example of public school teachings that you speak of.

by Anonymousreply 20401/04/2013

R204

I hated the movie but I believe you're wrong. It would be eligible for Best Adapted Screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 20501/04/2013

No, Lazy Ass at R205, who can't freaking Google something before shooting their mouth off. It is not eligible for screenplay. Good night.

by Anonymousreply 20701/04/2013

Anti-Les Miserables trolls are absolutely pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 20801/04/2013

[quote]Isn't it enough that the chauvinistic Brits will slobber all over its bloated, stagey ass at the Baftas?

Ah, no...because they're crying at watching a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 20901/04/2013

[quote] I spent two years of my life in Les Miz.

Admittedly, the movie dragged a bit.

by Anonymousreply 21001/04/2013

R207

Wow, someone's an angry little person.

by Anonymousreply 21101/04/2013

Jackman was terrible. He has no 'body' to his voice. It's all high pitched screetching. Good singing is not how loud and penetrating you sound. His Bring him Home was awful. He has no true singing technique. His tremelo made that obvious. Hathaway's motto was hysteria first, song second. Rusty was just trying to get through his songs. In his eyes you could see the subtext of here comes a phrase with notes beyond my range. Character was just an afterthought for him. Amanda Whatsaname made strange birdcall noises in lieu of singing for some reason as Cosette. Marius struggled with anything beyond a falsetto whisper. There must be no good singing teachers in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 21201/04/2013

Worst movie I've seen in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 21301/04/2013

[quote]Worst movie I've seen in a theater.

Yeah, right! You never saw it.

by Anonymousreply 21401/05/2013

r207, the article is inaccurate: the scripts for "Les Miserables," "Django Unchained," "Beasts of the Southern Piece of Shit" and "Amour" were ineligible for the Writers Guild of America awards because they weren't written by WGA members (Tarantino has never joined the WGA, so he's never been nominated there). However, they are all eligible for the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 21501/05/2013

LES MIZ won't get an adapted screenplay. Other than rearranging some songs, additional lyrics, and some dialog, they really didn't do much to the original libretto.

by Anonymousreply 21601/05/2013

R207

I love when angry losers like 207 go off and act self-righteous and are completely wrong. It's even better when they go off like a crazy person and end up doing the thing they've acted so superior about.

R205 and R217 are right. The movie is eligible for nomination for Best Adapated Screenplay.

R207

Apparently you're the lazy ass who can't Google and has no reading comprehension skills.

Thanks for showing everyone what an idiot you are.

Goodnight.

by Anonymousreply 21701/05/2013

R216 How much did they change Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 21801/05/2013

"The movie is eligible for nomination for Best Adapated Screenplay."

I will bet you ten bucks it's not even nominated, the AMPAS isn't very impressed with barely altered librettos.

I'm predicting Best Supporting Actress for sure (suck it, haters), Set Design, Costume, and because it's a weak year for movies I think there's a good shot at Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 21901/05/2013

R218, Bill Condon had to rewrite the premise of the musical for the screen. On stage, the show is performed as a vaudeville act. For the film, Condon made the story from Roxie's viewpoint and had all the numbers (save for the opening and finale) take place in her head, resulting in the cut of half the songs. Also, as a result, the role of Velma (which is a co-lead on stage) was reduced to a supporting role, since this is Roxie's story only now.

The role of reporter Mary Sunshine was also reworked. On stage, she is played by a man in drag, but toward the end she is revealed to be a he, thus implying you can't trust the press. In the movie, Sunshine is simply a female reporter. Furthermore, dialog and scenes not found on the stage were added for the screen, such as Velma cutting a deal with the prosecution and testifying for them using Velma's diary. That was all written for the movie. In the stage show, you're not told how Velma gets off. You just see Roxie's trial, she gets acquitted, and then Velma appears out of nowhere to join her for the finale, "Nowadays/Honey Hot Rag."

So a lot of work went into making CHICAGO cinematic. LES MIZ on film is practically LES MIZ from the stage show, except for the rearrangement and shortening of certain songs and a couple lines of dialog.

by Anonymousreply 22001/05/2013

Here, the entire 25th anniversary "Les Miz In Concert" is up on Youtube, in one three-hour go.

I can't stop playing it! Maybe if I make some of you suffer, too, I can stop.

by Anonymousreply 22101/05/2013

It didn't really move me. I didn't love Hathaway. I liked Jackman and Redmayne. Sue me.

by Anonymousreply 22201/05/2013

Jackman has always gotten a pass on his singing because he's Wolverine. That somehow lowers the bar. I remember him being all right singing Curly in Oklahoma! but anyone who saw him duet with Aretha Franklin on the Tonys knows how limited he is as a singer.

by Anonymousreply 22301/05/2013

If The Academy doesn't slobber over Les Mis, the BAFTAs won't either. Besides this year's BAFTAs is going to be all about SKYFALL.

by Anonymousreply 22401/05/2013

No it won't, R224. The BAFTAS will be all about Les Miserables. That is a certainty.

by Anonymousreply 22501/05/2013

I think Les Miserables will garner Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, for sure and probably Best Director and Best Picture nominations. They'll probably give it noms in music for Best Song and original score, ostumes, cinematography, lighting, etc. So maybe six-8 noms. That's my prediction. i'm not saying deservedly so in any one category, but definitely nominations.

Personally, once I get past Lincoln, I don't see a lot of Oscar worthy stuff out here. In fact, I think this is a pretty mediocre year. I vertainly don't think Silver Linings Playbook deserves any noms for acting or for a Best Picture. Same with Moonrise Kingdom and The Master. Denzel and Bill Murray have done better too.Do we really wqant to give Keira Knightly an Oscar for doing what she's done before?

by Anonymousreply 22601/05/2013

I think Eddie Redmayne is adorable. I hope he gets some recognition.

by Anonymousreply 22701/05/2013

Erm, Lynn? Skyfall is the highest grossing film in UK history, the only film to ever reach £100M at the UK box office, featuring a bevy of British craft talent plus Sam Mendes. Of course it's going to rule the BAFTAs! Nominations for Mendes, Dench, Bardem, Logan, Adele, all the technical contributors. The only one who might miss out would be Craig, as he was already nominated for Casino Royale but they might just nominate him again.

Les Mis is not going to figure too highly.

by Anonymousreply 22801/05/2013

Ms. Watts was pretty spectacular in THE IMPOSSIBLE. I assume she will be nominated. What do you think are her chances of a win?

by Anonymousreply 22901/05/2013

R229

She'll probably get nominated but it's probably going to be Chastain for the win.

by Anonymousreply 23001/05/2013

I also hated that they re-arranged Eponine's time line and shorted A Little Fall of Rain. That is one of my favorite songs. And the better singers in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 23101/05/2013

R231

I hated that they turned Eponine into some jealous little thing that tries to interfere in Marius' relationship.

They sort of robbed the character of her selfless act of dying running his little love errand.

by Anonymousreply 23201/05/2013

I disagree, r230. Chastain has gotten solid praise for her performance, but the bulk of the praise is going to the director and screenwriter. It's gonna be one of the other nominees -- Lawrence, Watts, Weisz, Riva or Cotillard, however it shakes up.

by Anonymousreply 23301/05/2013

R233

I still think Chastain has the best shot. She was last year's Golden Girl and Weisz and Cotillard have recent wins.

by Anonymousreply 23401/05/2013

R221

You can't stop watching it? Why? That's a serious question. Watching that Jonas kid was painful. Almost as painful as watching Rubin-Vega try to play Fantine.

My favorite recording is the CSR.

by Anonymousreply 23501/05/2013

r234, but Lawrence is THIS year's golden girl.

by Anonymousreply 23601/05/2013

R236

To an extent. She isn't really taken that seriously by the Academy yet. She considered too young and hasn't earned it yet in a lot of eyes.

We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 23701/05/2013

r237, Lawrence already has a previous Best Actress nomination! If that's not being taken "seriously," I'd like to know what is?

by Anonymousreply 23801/05/2013

R238

It's called jumping the gun on what you know is going to be the next big thing. The Academy tends to do that, sure you can get a nomination as a young actor, but it doesn't mean they seriously think you have a shot to win, and doesn't mean they'll actually vote for you. It's a game of making people earn it and only awarding you once they feel it's deserved (see Andrews and Newman).

I'm not saying she doesn't deserve a nomination or a win, but is she considered a serious contender to the Academy? Not really.

by Anonymousreply 23901/05/2013

Not mention Chastains got the edge and everything with her dad.

by Anonymousreply 24001/05/2013

[quote]To an extent. She isn't really taken that seriously by the Academy yet. She considered too young and hasn't earned it yet in a lot of eyes

What is too young? You can say the same about Tatum O'Neal, when she won her Oscar at a very young age.

This is the award to the actress who gave the best performance. Jennifer Lawrence deserves to win this year, JHMO.

by Anonymousreply 24101/05/2013

[quote]I still think Chastain has the best shot

Oh please! Chastain gave an overrated performance.

by Anonymousreply 24201/05/2013

R241

Tatum O'Neal and Anna Paquin were two very different stories.

Tatum came from both an entirely different era of Academy Voters and her father was famous.

What they both had in common was that they were given the award based on the "Aw, it'll be really cute to give it to a kid," factor.

Plus, it was for Supporting, a category that a lot of people in the Academy consider a throw away award.

So with regard to youth, there's just a different mindset. If you're under 12 that's fine. But if you're between 13 and 25, and are pretty new to the scene? You're too young and they're going to make you work for it.

I'm not saying I agree with it and that it can't change... I'm just passing what info I know based on my own experiences.

by Anonymousreply 24301/05/2013

R242

You may think that Chastain gave an overrated performance, that's your opinion and fine.

I'm not even saying that I disagree with you.

But how often have the Oscars actually been about merit?

by Anonymousreply 24401/05/2013

Chastain, Lawrence, Riva, all would be worthy winners. Fantastic performances from all of them.

I saw Zero Dark Thirty yesterday and was blown away. I don't think it will win Best Picture (though it deserves to), but Bigelow should easily walk away with her second oscar for director (don't think it will happen either).

It would be a joke if Hooper is nominated. He tried to fuck up the movie at every turn. He's good with actors and that's it. After a rewatch of The King's Speech I noticed how ugly and poorly paced the entire thing is, it doesn't hold up at all and the thing is barely three years old!. The actors (like in Les Miserables) are the saving grace.

by Anonymousreply 24501/05/2013

Zero Dark Thirty is possibly the most overrated film of the year...think, "The Hurt Locker" part II. Bigelow has just won Best Director last year, and I don't think she will 2 awards in a row for the same type of film.

It's pretty much Les Miserables and Lincoln all the way!

by Anonymousreply 24601/05/2013

The one person that is overrated in the best actress race is Naomi Watts. Not a bad performance at all but it's ridiculous that she's getting all this buzz and attention when Ewan was just as good as her, not to mention that the kid is the sole lead in the film. There are huge parts of the movie where she's just there on the bed doing almost nothing.

If she's nominated then I hope for a surprise Ewan nomination in the supporting actor category. He deserves it for the phone call scene alone.

by Anonymousreply 24701/05/2013

Girls girls! Take it to the best actress thread!

by Anonymousreply 24801/05/2013

BAFTAs will be all about Skyfall. Period. It will win everything. Les Miz will be secondary.

Les Miz will be far down the list of Oscar BP noms. If this was a five picture year, it wouldn't appear.

There will be no nomination for Director.

No nomination for Editing.

No nomination for Actor.

No nomination for BS Actor.

Only acting nomination may be Hathaway and she is no longer a sure thing.

Other noms will be technical of which it will win nothing.

Outside of Oscars, the only event it will win awards at is Golden Globes, and only because it has a separate section for musicals.

It will be totally absent from all other award wins.

by Anonymousreply 24901/05/2013

R249

And Ann has herself to thank for that. All her transparent self-PR backfired and she's now looked at as being as pathetic as Melissa Leo and the Derns.

by Anonymousreply 25001/05/2013

[quote]If she's nominated then I hope for a surprise Ewan nomination in the supporting actor category. He deserves it for the phone call scene alone.

I don't understand why Ewan never gets nominated for his work? I suspect his work is constantly effortless...which is why he is good. And, his shut-out for Trainspotting and Star Wars was a travesty.

The nominations will pretty much go to Lincoln and Les Miserables. Zero Dark Thirty reminded me of a TV documentary.

My favorite film was Lincoln, second was Les Miserables.

by Anonymousreply 25101/05/2013

Best Actress is very different from Best Actor: whereas in the latter the Academy tends to wait until later to honor a man (Paul Newman, Al Pacino, Denzel Washington, Jeff Bridges, etc.), in the former they tend to honor a woman early in their career (Katharine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Julie Andrews, Julie Christie, etc.)...and given that Jennifer Lawrence starred in one of the biggest hits of the year while Chastain has yet to carry a box office hit on her own, I'd give the edge to Lawrence if it's a battle between her and Chastain.

But I'm rooting for Rachel Weisz to stage an upset victory.

by Anonymousreply 25201/05/2013

I will just report observations of the recent week and a half.

Skyfall seems much more of a contender and so does Argo. The other thing is The Master & it's lead Phoenix (no surprises there) is either in the critic's top 10 best films list of 2012 or tops the list.

It seems Skyfall could be a surprise upset knocking out Lincoln, ZDT and Argo for best picture. But the Academy is often just sentimentality over quality so maybe it won't effect votes. But Skyfall has the highest tomato meter rating.

by Anonymousreply 25301/05/2013

I could see Skyfall knocking out Amour or Les Mis before Lincoln or Zero Dark Thirty. Hell, at this point, I could see it winning.

by Anonymousreply 25401/05/2013

R252

What young actress, let alone one with very few credits to their name, has won an Academy Award in the past 30 years?

The only one I think that could fit this would be Marlee Matlin but we sort of know why she was given hers.

You could maybe say Hilary Swank for Boys Dont Cry.. but again, completely different circumstances and the Academy basically had to give it to her for that role.

I'd say based on History, the assumption that the Academy likes to reward young actresses early in their career isn't true. Just look at the list from the past three decades.

by Anonymousreply 25501/05/2013

[quote]I hated that they turned Eponine into some jealous little thing that tries to interfere in Marius' relationship.

[quote]They sort of robbed the character of her selfless act of dying running his little love errand.

They went back to the original source, the novel, for inspiration. In the book, Éponine has like a fatal attraction toward Marius. They're not friends at all; in fact, she doesn't register in Marius' radar. Mainly 'cause she's butt-ugly, with missing teeth, a whisky voice, and looks older than her years 'cause she's a drunk. Her family lives in the same rundown tenement where he's been slumming, and that's how she gets to know him. Her main purpose is to act as a courier, mainly for her father, delivering notes.

When Marius asks her to find Cosette, she jumps at the chance to impress him in the hopes that he might take notice and fall for her. She quickly finds the place and leads him to it. Unlike the musical, Marius visits Cosette regularly (not just once), and Éponine follows him each time in secret. One time, while she waits by the gates, out of love for Marius, she even prevents her father and his henchmen from robbing Valjean's house by threatening to scream. (This scene is in the movie, but is not explained why she screams.)

Afterward, she has second thoughts about thwarting her father's plans, and sends Valjean a self-made note telling him to "remove," which causes him to make earlier plans to leave with Cosette. In desperation, Cosette gives Éponine (whom she confuses as an errand boy 'cause she's dressed as a boy) a letter to deliver to Marius detailing Valjean's plans, but Éponine has no intentions of delivering it and puts it away.

Marius later arrives for his usual visit, but finds the place barren. Éponine then convinces Marius to join his friends at the barricade. If she can't have him, then no one else will, and she later joins him in the hopes that they will die together. But at the last moment, when a soldier aims at him, she can't go through with it, and gets in the aim of fire. She dies telling Marius she loves him but also finally gives him Cosette's letter.

That's pretty much her role in the book. The musical made her more sympathetic (simply lovesick) and beefed it up by giving her the task to deliver Marius' letter to Cosette, which in the book is done by Gavroche.

by Anonymousreply 25601/05/2013

So, r255, that would discount Chastain, as well. Even though she's 13 years older than Lawrence, they both made their film debuts in 2008.

Within the past 30 years, I'd argue the following fit the criteria I outlined: Marlee Matlin (I'll give you the outlying circumstances here); Gwyneth Paltrow; Hilary Swank (and she deserved it less than Goop); Charlize Theron; Natalie Portman.

by Anonymousreply 25701/05/2013

R256

Yeah, I know that they went back to the source material for it, but it just seems misfitting as they're basing the majority of the film on the stage material, which is pretty much the reason people are going to see it.

by Anonymousreply 25801/05/2013

R254 I wasn't including Les Mis reportedly it isn't very good - manufactured buzz, or Amour which rivals the Master in critic's list (above Lincoln and ZDT) but it's French so I think it might be in the foreign category.

Forgot to mention, Pi definitely seems like it could be a favorite.

by Anonymousreply 25901/05/2013

R257

I would say Paltrow doesn't count because she had been around for awhile and had famous, well-respected parents that sort of put her over the edge (plus everyone knows if crossdress, play a character with a mental or physical disability, you automatically win... that's a joke, but not really).

Hilary we already talked about and again, with that role, they had to sort of give it to her.

Charlize Theron had also been around for awhile and much like Hilary, that was a role they couldn't ignore. The Academy has sort of unwritten guidelines it follows, and both Hilary and Charlize had roles that fit them perfectly (and Im not saying I agree. I don't think one of them deserved theirs).

Natalie Portman I don't think works at all. She was around for almost 20 years before she was nominated/won.

So my point was that the Academy doesn't really typically like to reward young actresses early in their careers at all. It's the exception when they do, rather than the norm.

The reason I feel Chastain has more of an edge over Lawrence is that she's taken more seriously. She's done a diverse range of work, was in about 30 movies last year, is older, and her role is Oscar "intense." At this point, she's just got more of the right check marks that the Academy looks for.

Oh, and then she's got the father thing going for her that someone else mentioned.

By the way, thanks for having a normal, rational discussion on this.

by Anonymousreply 26001/05/2013

You're welcome, r260. Admittedly, I'm not a Chastain fan...who is her father? (I'm too lazy to google it.)

by Anonymousreply 26101/05/2013

R261

It's more of a Hollywood rumor/gossip that she is the illegitimate child of Ron Howard or his father.

Her father is "unknown" or supposedly died or ran out (I'm too lazy to Google too) when she was really young, only adding fire to the rumors that one of the Howards is her father.

by Anonymousreply 26201/05/2013

[quote]Oh, and then she's got the father thing going for her that someone else mentioned.

Who actually knows Chastain's father? Nobody.

by Anonymousreply 26301/05/2013

[quote]I could see Skyfall knocking out Amour or Les Mis before Lincoln or Zero Dark Thirty. Hell, at this point, I could see it winning.

Nominating Skyfall is like nominating Harry Potter. Ain't gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 26401/05/2013

The people saying that Skyfall will win over Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, etc. Do you know anything about the oscar race? It will do very well in the technical categories, a well deserved nom for Roger Deakins (cinematography) and Adele (original song), maybe even a couple of wins, maaaaaaybe a BP nom based on the new voting rules, and that's a big maybe.

The ratings on Rotten tomatoes don't matter at all, that's why something as poorly reviewed as Les Miserables is still a lock for a BP nom. In the end I think it will be Lincoln winning Actor, Director, Screenplay and Picture. It's the safe, prestige pick of the year.

by Anonymousreply 26501/05/2013

Yeah, it's a safe bet that "Lincoln" will win, but everyone knows in Hollywood that "Les Miserables" is more deserving.

by Anonymousreply 26601/05/2013

[quote]It's more of a Hollywood rumor/gossip that she is the illegitimate child of Ron Howard or his father.

That explains why I get Chastain mixed-up with Bryce Dallas Howard.

by Anonymousreply 26701/05/2013

r266, I suspect the "people" in Hollywood are as horrified by Les Miserables as the rest of us are.

by Anonymousreply 26801/05/2013

LES MIZ has no business being nominated for Best Picture, but it will since they need to fill up the 10 slots. It's really a mess of a movie.

by Anonymousreply 26901/05/2013

I know, it's not just the critics although it is conspicuously absent from lists but the word of mouth I've heard is it just isn't very good as a film. Maybe for die-hard fans it works.

by Anonymousreply 27001/05/2013

NEW THREAD REQUEST

In anticipation of next week's Oscar nominations, could a paying member please start a new thread & poll:

"Who is your favorite Sally, and why?"

Poll options should be:

Sally Field, Sally Kirkland, Sally Kellerman, Sally Ride, Sally Hawkins, Sally Jessy Raphael, Sally Struthers, Sally Deweese, Sally Ann (aka Salvation Army).

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 27101/05/2013

R268

Yes, we are.

R269

Thank God it's no longer a mandatory 10. It should go back to 5, but Ill settle for this.

by Anonymousreply 27201/05/2013

Their will be 10 nominations this year. Heard from a very reliable source.

by Anonymousreply 27301/05/2013

We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 27401/05/2013

With regard to the upcoming Anne vs. Sally nomination duel, we NEED the thread proposed by me at r271.

Could a discerning paying member PLEASE start it, including the poll?

Thank you in advance.

by Anonymousreply 27501/05/2013

R230, R232, R234, R235, R237, R239, R243, R244, R250, R255, R258, R260, R262, R270 = desperate to sound like an authority

by Anonymousreply 27601/05/2013

I think a lot of you are confused about Best Picture. The rules are there can be no less than 5 nominees but no more than 10; no film can have less than 5% of the vote.

They don't have to come up with 10.

by Anonymousreply 27701/05/2013

This Vulture article gives a good description of the rules for selecting the best picture nominees. As far as I know these remain the current rules.

by Anonymousreply 27801/05/2013

Yeah, National Society of Film Critics completely snub Les Miserables. Best Supporting Actress breakdown: Amy Adams (Winner - 34), Sally Field (23), Anne Hathaway (13).

by Anonymousreply 27901/05/2013

WGA snubs Les Miserables for Best Adapted Screenplay. And it was ELIGIBLE.

by Anonymousreply 28001/05/2013

r270

meh. Those were better reads than anything you've had to contribute.

by Anonymousreply 28101/05/2013

[quote]WGA snubs Les Miserables for Best Adapted Screenplay. And it was ELIGIBLE.

Grrr. No it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 28201/05/2013

R280

Ha tries to sound informed but clearly isn't. Fail.

by Anonymousreply 28301/05/2013

"Ann has herself to thank for that. All her transparent self-PR backfired and she's now looked at as being as pathetic as Melissa Leo and the Derns. "

Melissa Leo won, darling.

And I think Anne will as well, she's hit all the Academy's buttons, including the massive box-office hit in a weak box-office year, and being genuinely good in her role.

by Anonymousreply 28401/05/2013

R270 what did I do to piss you off?

Anyway here's the Metacritic critic's poll for BP for anyone interested.

by Anonymousreply 28501/05/2013

R284

I didn't say Melissa lost. I said Ann has made herself look as pathetic as Melissa and the Derns.

I don't know if I'd personally say Ann was genuinely good... she was good in comparison to everyone else who was bad.

We'll see what happens. I'll hold out for Sally or Amy.

by Anonymousreply 28601/05/2013

^^ actually my question was for R281.

by Anonymousreply 28701/05/2013

R287

Sorry about that. It was meant for R276.

by Anonymousreply 28801/05/2013

[quote]Yeah, it's a safe bet that "Lincoln" will win, but everyone knows in Hollywood that "Les Miserables" is more deserving.

You're posting from a basement in Kentucky, sweetie. Time to check yourself into a psych ward.

by Anonymousreply 28901/05/2013

Les Miserables might not be best picture quality but neither is Lincoln. The movie was a mess. From Spielberg leaving a modern flag in the background of a scene (how the FUCK do you make that mistake????), to some poor supporting performances (I'm looking at you Gulliver McGrath and Lee Pace), to its horrible pacing, the film was a wreck. My vote will go to Argo or Zero Dark Thirty.

by Anonymousreply 29001/05/2013

NEW *FINAL* THREAD REQUEST

The Joan and Sally threads have proved to be a great success, so we need one final thread, to give DL a trifecta.

Could a paying member *please* start a thread & POLL:

"Who is your favorite Ann(e), and why?"

Poll options should be:

Anne Boleyn, Anne Hathaway, Ann Dowd, Ann Sothern, Ann Curry, Queen Ann Romney, Evil Ann Coulter, Sinister Anne Archer, Anne of Green Gables.

Please word the poll exactly like that.

Thank you in advance !!

by Anonymousreply 29101/05/2013

[quote]Sally Field, Sally Kirkland, Sally Kellerman, Sally Ride, Sally Hawkins, Sally Jessy Raphael, Sally Struthers, Sally Deweese, Sally Ann (aka Salvation Army).

[quote]Anne Boleyn, Anne Hathaway, Ann Dowd, Ann Sothern, Ann Curry, Queen Ann Romney, Evil Ann Coulter, Sinister Anne Archer, Anne of Green Gables.

I'm 50 bitch!

by Anonymousreply 29201/05/2013

Yes, you are 50, r292.

But PLEASE start the Anne thread, for it is VERY much needed!

Do it now, please !!

Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 29301/05/2013

Oh for fuck's sake, a "Favorite Anne" thread was posted a week ago. Can we stop the thread hijack?

by Anonymousreply 29401/05/2013

I have a question: When I saw the film I had to learn the score, and I've been playing it over and over.

So WTF is up with the random re-use of melodies? I don't mean leitmotifs, the same melody is used for both "Empty Chairs" and the bishop being saintly -the two scenes have nothing in common. It's just the same melody used again, and it's not he only time it happens in this show.

Did the composer just run out of ideas?

by Anonymousreply 29501/05/2013

Les Miserables is going to kick butt at the Oscars!!!!

by Anonymousreply 29601/05/2013

R295, the tune to "On My Own" is recycled again, when Fantine is dying and at the finale. And "One Day More" is basically "I Dreamed a Dream" with snippets of "Who Am I?" and "Master of the House." It does become tedious.

by Anonymousreply 29701/05/2013

I finally saw Les Mis today, and I promise I'm not one of the anti-Les Mis trolls, feel free to troll-dar me, but God, I fucking hated everything about that movie.

Three hours of looking at camera shots of the inside of every actor's mouth, repetitive music, and zero emotional investment in the characters. The pacing moved way too fast to build any sort of emotional investment in anyone, but at the same time dragged because every conversation had to be sung which made it last at least three times longer than if it had been spoken.

Oscar-worthy my ass.

by Anonymousreply 29801/05/2013

R249/Truth Fairy, it's ludicrous to suggest that Skyfall will triumph at the BAFTAS. It's a BOND film, darling. Yes, it's the highest grossing film in UK history but that really doesn't mean anything.

Les Miserables is being adored by the British film critics across the board, it was shot in the UK (except for a bit shot in the French mountains) and will make a fortune there, too. It will clean up at the BAFTAS.

by Anonymousreply 29901/05/2013

Lynn Stairmaster, how can anyone take seriously what you claim ever again? You previously claimed the loathsome child who played Gavroche will be nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

by Anonymousreply 30001/05/2013

My pussy stinks!

by Anonymousreply 30101/05/2013

[quote]Les Miserables is being adored by the British film critics across the board, it was shot in the UK (except for a bit shot in the French mountains) and will make a fortune there, too. It will clean up at the BAFTAS.

It's pretty much sweeping the nation as well.

by Anonymousreply 30201/05/2013

R302, I wouldn't say it's "sweeping" the nation. It's doing better than expected, but it's hardly taking the country by storm.

by Anonymousreply 30301/05/2013

I agree with r303. It's doing well, but third at the box office is hardly "sweeping the nation."

r302, You've fallen into the Lynn Stairmaster trap of ridiculous exaggeration about this movie. All you guys do is alienate people when you make these absurd comments.

by Anonymousreply 30401/06/2013

33rd CRITICS' CIRCLE FILM AWARDS NOMINATIONS

by Anonymousreply 30501/06/2013

Lynn @ 299, you're high, dear. You know fuck all about the BAFTAs. Skyfall will probably get a record number of nominations. The British film industry is incredible proud of Bond - at 50 years it's got to be the longest franchise running and it's bigger than ever. Literally. Casino Royale was nominated for Best Picture and Best Actor, receiving 9 nominations in total.

The British critics are mixed on Les Mis, just like everybody else. The raves are coming from the right wing broadsheets, probably where Tom Hooper's father used to work.

by Anonymousreply 30601/06/2013

R302, it doesn't even open in the UK until Friday. I wouldn't expect it to top the box office. Especially after the great Oscar expectation meets reality on Thursday.

by Anonymousreply 30701/06/2013

I wouldn't be so sure about Thursday's results R307.

"Oscar" according to very good inside sources, *cough*Anthony Hopkins*cough*, is very often the result of ass kissing (to make themselves "popular"). Pre-Post nominee sluts.

And which cast has been the sluttiest this year do you think?

by Anonymousreply 30801/06/2013

[quote]The Sky Movies Award: FILM OF THE YEAR Amour (Artificial Eye) Argo (Warners) Beasts of the Southern Wild (StudioCanal) Life of Pi (Fox) The Master (Entertainment)

The most boring list of nominations. If this is to come, nobody is going to watch the Oscars.

The Master, really? And, no Les Miserables or Zero Dark Thirty, WTF??

by Anonymousreply 30901/06/2013

ZDT is surprising but there may be political reasons, Les Mis isn't too surprising. But these are not the same as the Oscars.

Read what Hopkins said about them recently. People kiss ass to get Oscar, they aren't real, some years it's just studio/actor churned "buzz".

by Anonymousreply 31001/06/2013

Lynn/R299? Doll?

No one believes a word you have to say. Your hysterical hyperbole has been proven wrong over and over again.

Once the Oscar noms are announced and you are completely humiliated (as you will be), hopefully you will finally slink off into the obscurity you deserve.

by Anonymousreply 31101/06/2013

I hate to say this R311 but it's very possible you will be humiliated .

Why do Les Mis people put such trust & importance in the Oscars? Especially this year when two great actors blew the award's cover.

by Anonymousreply 31201/06/2013

r312, Anthony Hopkins and...?

by Anonymousreply 31301/06/2013

and...Phoenix.

by Anonymousreply 31401/06/2013

No, r312, you're a delusional troll who thinks that Lincoln will be knocked out of BP contention which is not only absurd but moronic.

It is the clear frontrunner.

Your conjecture and supposition (as if the Tomatometer has any influence or power) is laughable and idiotic.

You know nothing.

by Anonymousreply 31501/06/2013

[quote]at 50 years it's got to be the longest franchise running and it's bigger than ever. Literally.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

by Anonymousreply 31601/06/2013

R192, thank you! I agree, Jackman would have made a good Javert. When the film was first announced, Jackman and Crowe, I had to research who was playing which part. Doesn't sound, thouhg, like Crowe could have played (sang) Javert well...

R246, I don't think Bigelow won Best Director last year, wasn't that Tom Hooper? Think Bigelow won in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 31701/06/2013

I was relaying the latest film-buzz shift based on news items which included Skyfall. I KNOW Lincoln is the likely win for BP but sometimes there are surprise upsets. I didn't say there WOULD be one or that Lincoln & ZDT would not be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 31801/06/2013

The last 3 Oscar winners for Best Director:

2009: Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker)

2010: Tom Hooper (The King's Speech)

2011: Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist)

by Anonymousreply 31901/06/2013

Were discussions about movies always so focused on Oscar predictions and claims of Oscar worthiness and unworthiness? Is that they only critical tool we can use nowL This film deserves an Oscar, this one does not? That seems so limiting and soiled by marketing and publicists. Why then not just give awards to the films that make the most money? I thought this thread would be about "Les Miserables"--the movie. I want to hear from people who saw it, I want to hear opinions about the acting, the staging, and the singing. These opinions do not have to always resort either to box office or Oscar predictions.

by Anonymousreply 32001/06/2013

R300, I half-jokingly suggested that the kid who plays Gavroche should be nominated, not that he would be nominated.

Yes, Skyfall will be nominated for several BAFTAS but I think only Adele will win for Best Song and Roger Deakins will win for Best Cinematography. Les Miserables will win the lion's share of the rest.

by Anonymousreply 32101/06/2013

Oh, Lynn.

Less than two weeks ago you were predicting overwhelming and unprecedented nominations and awards in America. Your dim grasp of absurd hyperbole not withstanding, now that it's clear that won't happen and isn't happening, and all of your supposed "front runners" haven't materialized, you're relying on the BAFTAs as your bulwark?

Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 32201/06/2013

Lynn always gets wet over a musical. Remember when she did the same shit about Nine that she's been doing with Les Mis?

by Anonymousreply 32301/06/2013

Oh, lay off Lynn.

So she got swept up in her response to LM and posted in an exuberant state of mind. BFD. Why single her out for that?

At least her LM thread woke things up around here when this place sorely needed it.

by Anonymousreply 32401/06/2013

Yeah, leave the silly cow.

by Anonymousreply 32501/06/2013

Lynn sounds like she's cycling quite rapidly. Lithium, dear, and make haste before they send the men with the white sneakers.

by Anonymousreply 32601/06/2013

Hit $100 million this weekend. Oscar nomns in 4 days.

by Anonymousreply 32701/06/2013

Ooooh, Lynn???

by Anonymousreply 32801/06/2013

Fellow New Yorker readers, I believe I noticed an error in Anthony Lane's review of Les Mis. He says, "...Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe, both Australians...."

Pretty sure Crowe is a New Zealander?

Are there no fact-checkers any more?? To whom should I write, email, or tweet to BITTERLY COMPLAIN??

by Anonymousreply 32901/06/2013

r329, though born in NZ, Crowe has lived in Australia since he was a child.

by Anonymousreply 33001/06/2013

Can it, Della.

by Anonymousreply 33101/06/2013

Okay, so why does Crowe speak with an irish accent?

by Anonymousreply 33201/07/2013

[quote]Okay, so why does Crowe speak with an irish accent?

Because he's filled with whiskey.

by Anonymousreply 33301/07/2013

Thanks, Della.

I make no apologies for my "exuberant" reaction following the Alice Tully Hall screening of Les Miserables. It was an unforgettable experience and I still feel that the movie will end up getting many Oscar nominations and end up winning in several categories, even perhaps in Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 33401/08/2013

[quote]You previously claimed the loathsome child who played Gavroche will be nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

Oh get a grip, Sweetie. Compared to the kid in "Lincoln", he deserves the Oscar, not just a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 33501/08/2013

The kid who played Gavroche was so annoying! He had a weird voice and his acting was stilted and wooden. Audiences have been taken by him simply because he's a child and because his character has a tragic on-screen death. But if he were an adult, nobody would be singing his praises. Horrible actor!

by Anonymousreply 33601/08/2013

Oh I cannot WAIT to see all the Les Miserqueens twisting themselves into a frenzy when the nominations are announced....it will be like Christmas all over again!

by Anonymousreply 33701/08/2013

Tom Hooper just got a DGA nomination. Not surprised at all. That awards prognosticator bitch Sasha Stone has really got to face facts that Les Miserables will be an awards juggernaut, unlike her precious (way too precious) Silver Linings Playbook.

by Anonymousreply 33801/08/2013

Bill Condon also got a nom for Dreamgirls.

Not surprised that Hooper made it in here. The TV directors get to vote and that's where he started.

by Anonymousreply 33901/08/2013

He got a nomination for shooting the inside of his actors's mouths for the whole movie?

by Anonymousreply 34001/08/2013

Sasha Stone hated Silver Linings Playbook, Lynn. HATED it. She's whoring for Lincoln this year. Seems clear she's nervous about a Les Miz upset because her bashing of it has been scarily over the top even for her. She's nothing more than a fan gurl with a blog. I'm still shaking my head over her playing the race card last year trying to get a win for Viola Davis.

by Anonymousreply 34101/08/2013

Predictions From Gold Derby...

28 Experts, nine Editors and almost two thousand Users have predicted the Oscar nominations, which will be announced on Thursday morning.

Les Miserables" (11 nominations; 3 wins) Wins: Supporting Actress (Anne Hathaway), Production Design, Sound Mixing

Nominations: Picture, Director, Actor (Hugh Jackman), Cinematography, Costume Design, Editing, Makeup & Hair, Song

by Anonymousreply 34201/08/2013

Ah, no! Les Miserables is going to win 11 Oscars, including Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 34301/08/2013

Leave Lynn alone. At least he has the guts to stick by his prediction. The fan bois are ripping Kris Tapley from InContention.com a new one for turning on Les Miserables. In early December he came all over Twitter saying it was a triumph and would win countless Oscars. Now he's gone and deleted all his tweets praising the film. Dude has lost all credibility.

by Anonymousreply 34401/08/2013

Who the hell is Kris Tapley?

by Anonymousreply 34501/08/2013

Tapley is a columnist for HitFlix. He was at the same screening as dear ole Stairmaster and proclaimed Les Miserables as the inevitable best picture winner. He lost his shit praising the movie and tweeted the following: Kris Tapley: “Love you, “Lincoln.” But enjoy this lead while it lasts.” Kris Tapley: Feels like 10 nods for Lincoln and 12 for Les Miserables. Holy moly. Something’s gotta give. Kris Tapley: Hathaway wins. GOD. I wept. Film’s a triumph. They’re on their feet here. NYC crowd ate…it…up.

Then the reviews came out and good ole Kris deleted his tweets praising Les Miserables. When he published his best of 2012 list he left off Les Miserables and called someone an asshole when they called him on it.

By the way, I've been reading Sasha Stone's tweets like I enjoy watching a train wreck. She is scary with her hate for Les Miserables. She's consumed with hate and cannot stop tweeting about it. If Les Miserables was a person, I'd tell it to get a restraining order against Stone.

by Anonymousreply 34601/08/2013

LES MIZ deserves all the hate it gets. It's a terribly made/sung/acted POS.

by Anonymousreply 34701/08/2013

Thanks for that insightful contribution R347.

by Anonymousreply 34801/08/2013

Not true, R341. She loves Lincoln above all else but she was obviously disappointed today when David O Russell didn't get a DGA nomination and Hooper did.

by Anonymousreply 34901/08/2013

You're wrong, Lynn. She HATES Silver Linings Playbook. HATES it. Read her tweets for fuck's sake. She was pissed that Tarantino wasn't nominated. If she was at all disappointed O Russell missed a nod it's only because it was at Hooper's expense whom she can't stand. She's been consumed with hate for him ever since his last film beat her precious Social Network and her obsession with bashing Les Miserables has hit creepy proportions.

by Anonymousreply 35001/08/2013

I meant to write: Hooper's nomination was at the expense of O Russell, supposedly.

by Anonymousreply 35101/08/2013

I'm a huge fan and I've had to start taking Melatonin to sleep because I'm so anxious that Les Miserables won't lead the Oscar nominations. I can't wait until Thursday. Does anyone have any advice to help me calm down?

by Anonymousreply 35201/08/2013

[quote]I'm a huge fan and I've had to start taking Melatonin to sleep because I'm so anxious that Les Miserables won't lead the Oscar nominations. I can't wait until Thursday. Does anyone have any advice to help me calm down?

Take Boniva instead.

by Anonymousreply 35301/08/2013

Why is Hugh Jackman getting such praise? He sounded like a donkey Liza when singing. And oddly enough I really liked Russell Crowe's voice, and he's getting shit on left and right.

by Anonymousreply 35401/08/2013

by the way, I also loved Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia.

by Anonymousreply 35501/08/2013

Thankfully, with the success of the brilliant Les Mis, we will be seeing more quality musical material coming out of Hollywood in the coming years.

by Anonymousreply 35601/08/2013

Nah, Brosnan blew. Though I will admit that I didn't totally hate Nine.

by Anonymousreply 35701/08/2013

Would have been better with a Jay-Z score...

by Anonymousreply 35801/08/2013

[quote]Why is Hugh Jackman getting such praise? He sounded like a donkey Liza when singing.

He sounded awful, and he totally crucified "Bring HIm Home," which surprised me 'cause I'd enjoyed his singing when he hosted the Tonys and Oscars. But he was something awful in this movie. He shouldn't get a nomination 'cause other than the prolog, his performance was subpar.

by Anonymousreply 35901/08/2013

Really R359? I agree with you that his singing was very disappointing but you believe his acting was bad too? I have to disagree. He was the first Valjean I never wanted to punch in the face.

by Anonymousreply 36001/08/2013

[quote]Skyfall will be nominated for several BAFTAS but I think only Adele will win for Best Song and Roger Deakins will win for Best Cinematography.

'Skyfall' should also get Oscar™ nods for all of the above plus Sound Editing, Best Score, Director, Best Movie and Editing.

It deserves to win for Editing (amazing), Song (of course), Cinematography and Sound Editing but could justifiably win any of the other categories I mentioned. Lincoln Schmincoln!

And don't get me started on 'Les Miserables'! I finally saw it yesterday and found the whole thing a crashing bore. Those miniature live mic's did the singers no favours, making their voices sound really thin and "tinny". I thought I was back in the lo-fi days of "talkies" from the early '30s. Stupid idea. Crowe's singing was better than his acting, Jackman: vice versa. I cheered every death and even laughed at a couple of them.

What a load of hooey.

by Anonymousreply 36101/08/2013

When you sit there and watch Les Miserables (or, I assume, the play or read the book), remember that you are witnessing storytelling greatness, brilliance that stands at the very summit of the art. Not everyone will love the film, but to anyone who has ever tried to work wrenching depths of emotion and monumental heights of honor and duty into a story and then labored in utter frustration over what to cut away for the sake of hated-and-be-damned brevity, Les Miserables is the very best film there is, probably of the century!

by Anonymousreply 36201/09/2013

Dave Karger predicts 'Les Miserables' will win Best Picture Oscar!

For the past two months, one of Hollywood's reigning Oscarologists, Dave Karger (Fandango), has been backing "Silver Linings Playbook" as the next Best Picture champ, but today he switched to "Les Miserables." In the battle over Best Supporting Actress, he dropped Helen Hunt ("The Sessions") in favor of "Les Miserables" songbird Anne Hathaway. Karger joins nine other Oscarologists picking Tom Hooper's screen adaptation of the Broadway classic, thus thrusting it firmly in the lead ahead of "Argo," which held the front spot by a 12 to 5 score last Friday. Now it's 10 pundits for "Les Miz" and 5 for "Argo" and "Lincoln."

by Anonymousreply 36301/09/2013

From Moviefone:

"Les Miserables" is the frontrunner to win Best Picture at the Oscars, according to the experts polled by Gold Derby, and it may even end up setting two historic records.

Pundits predict the Tom Hooper-directed flick will win Best Supporting Actress (Anne Hathaway), Art Direction, Best Song ("Suddenly") and Sound Mixing. Overall, expect "Les Mis" to reap 12 to 16 bids. Currently, the record is 14 held by "All About Eve" (1950) and "Titanic" (1997). If "Les Mis" beats "Lincoln" to reap the most noms this year, that'll be an encouraging sign since the movie with the most nominations wins Best Picture more than two-thirds of the time.

"Les Miserables" could also set a record for most acting bids in one film. That distinction is currently shared by nine flicks that reaped five: "All About Eve" (1950), "Bonnie and Clyde" (1967), "From Here to Eternity" (1953), "Godfather, Part II" (1974), "Mrs. Miniver" (1942), "Network" (1976), "On the Waterfront" (1954), "Peyton Place" (1957) and "Tom Jones" (1963). "Les Mis" will probably get at least three: Hugh Jackman (lead), and Anne Hathaway and Eddie Redmayne in supporting. Three other possibilities include Russell Crowe, Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter, all in second-tier slots.

"Les Miserables" has the perfect pedigree to be a major Oscar threat. As a Broadway show in 1987, it won eight Tonys, including Best Musical, and now it's brought to the screen by Hooper, who directed Oscar's 2010 Best Picture champ "The King's Speech." However, other classic musicals like "Sweeney Todd" and "Dreamgirls" failed to be nominated when they made the leap to the silver screen in recent years. In fact, no tuner has been nominated for Best Picture since "Chicago" won in 2002.

Eleven of Gold Derby's 26 pundits predict "Les Miserables" will prevail in the top Oscar race: Edward Douglas (Coming Soon), Pete Hammond (Deadline), Dave Karger (Fandango), Tariq Khan (Fox News), Keith Simanton (IMDB), Alex Suskind (AOL Moviefone), Peter Travers (Rolling Stone), Jeffrey Wells (Hollywood Elsewhere) and me. See their full rankings here

When predictions are combined and translated into racetrack odds, "Les Miserables" leads 9 to 1, followed by "Argo" (6/1), "Lincoln" (6/1), "Silver Linings Playbook" (8/1) and "Zero Dark Thirty" (9/1).

by Anonymousreply 36401/09/2013

Is that how Dave Karger et al. are predicting the Oscars will vote, or do they really think LES MIZ is the best movie of the year? 'Cause LES MIZ has to be one of the worst films in contention for Best Picture. LINCOLN, ARGO, and ZERO DARK THIRTY (the other three I've seen) are way superior to LES MIZ in almost every way. I wouldn't mind if either of those three won, but LES MIZ winning would be akin to CRASH.

by Anonymousreply 36501/09/2013

R364, I think that's more true of the BAFTAs, who surely eat it up since it's a British production directed by a Brit and has a British crew, with a couple Aussies and Americans. So I expect it to get lots of BAFTA nominations, but I don't see the Academy embracing it as some people are predicting. More nominations than TITANIC or ALL ABOUT EVE? Please! Those films were cultural phenomenons. LES MIZ isn't really. It's just doing well at the box office, but nothing extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 36601/09/2013

I should have qualified my statement

[quote)Crowe's singing was better than his acting

by adding "that's not saying much". I don't think the fault is entirely his: the script gives Javert nothing to do except turn up on cue most of the time.

'Les Miserables' is one of the great narrative novels in all of literature so how did this script make the story so corny? That second last scene?! Oy veh!

I never saw it on stage - was the musical version always this preposterous?

by Anonymousreply 36701/09/2013

R361, the film version is pretty much like the stage version, except for the rearrangement of a couple songs, a few lyric replacements, and some added dialog. But the film follows the same structure as the stage show, and the show also ends with Fantine coming to lead Valjean to heaven (however, on stage she's joined by Eponine, in the film it's the Bishop) then everyone who died at the barricade comes out and reprises "Do You Hear the People Sing?" I was hoping they'd change it for the movie. Just have Fantine come fetch Valjean and have the reprise be a voice over chorus as camera shows a montage of the everyday struggles of the poor and downtrodden. But showing all the dead singing on a gigantic barricade was just corny. It was symbolic on stage, but on film it's just too much.

by Anonymousreply 36801/09/2013

BAFTA noms just announced and LES MIZ got Best Film, Actor, Supporting Actress, Cinematography, Production Design, Costume Design, Sound, and Makeup/Hair. No Director or Supporting Actor. So 8 noms in all. Well, 9 nods 'cause it also got Best British Film, but I don't count that.

So no record nominations here, and I thought for sure they would embrace it fully. I think the Oscar noms will mirror it. Definitely no record-tying 14 noms or more.

by Anonymousreply 36901/09/2013

Best Actor Ben A and nothing for the French guy? i just lost respect for the BAFTA...

by Anonymousreply 37001/09/2013

I think the Oscar noms will be fewer than BAFTA, probably six.

by Anonymousreply 37101/09/2013

[quote]do they really think LES MIZ is the best movie of the year? 'Cause LES MIZ has to be one of the worst films in contention for Best Picture. LINCOLN, ARGO, and ZERO DARK THIRTY (the other three I've seen) are way superior to LES MIZ in almost every way.

Lincoln is a boring mess and way overpraised by the critics, absolutely no one I know liked it and the audience I saw it with seemed bored, constant stream of people getting up. Spielberg rightfully has been snubbed by The Baftas.

by Anonymousreply 37201/09/2013

Hooper shut out of BAFTA, he'll be shut out of Oscar as well.

Tomorrow's noms will be ruled by Lincoln, as will the actual ceremony.

The press hysteria for Miz is long past.

by Anonymousreply 37301/09/2013

Big deal. Spielberg was also shut out of BAFTA

by Anonymousreply 37401/09/2013

A fan of the musical, I saw it over the weekend. The performances were fine. My beef, and it's a big one, is with Hooper's direction. The camerawork was ridiculous and the extreme closeups during the performances were claustrophobic. Not to mention the heightened religiosity and Christian symbolism absent from the stage version. Hooper doesn't deserve a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 37501/09/2013

Spielberg won't be shut out tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 37601/09/2013

My 10 cents(with bolding for people skimming this thread):

Great:[bold] The production values. [/bold]

I loved how this version exploited the film genre. The use of close-up shots gave us the emotion and intimacy in great detail that isn't possible on stage. The film sets and designs also really brought home the grittiness of the poor and the violence and death of the revolution.

The song [bold][italic]At the end of the Day [/italic][/bold] with the shots of the wretched people gave the audience a real glimpse of sucky life could be for someone if they had bad luck. You get a sense of how hard it would be for those characters. This in turn made ValJean's redemption and kindness much more heroic, Eponine's love for Marius much more tragic, and the moments that Cossette and Marius meert much more...I don't know .... believable. Somehow it also made the sacrifice of the boys at the barricade more impactful - which made the Empty chairs song more emotional as well. Seeing the faces up close made them more than a background player so their loss was more touching.

That being said however, there were moments when the close-ups needed to be pulled back. Eponine's song,[bold] [italic]On My Own[/italic] [/bold]was too close for too long. I wanted to see her lonely environment, in the street... She was good in her banter and basic conversational songs, but her soliloquy was a bit of a let down ( it would be hard to live up to the musical version of that song but she seemed to sing it in a lower octave than the rest of her stuff.) And Did they really need to Cue the Rain [italic]every time[/italic] she sang? That soooo contrived.

Marius's song,[bold][italic] Empty Chair's...[/italic][/bold]was really good but again- the camera was a bit close for too long. I wanted to see him alone in that room. I felt like he was about to hug the cameraman. The emotions were well done, very present and palpable - we didn't need it in our face the WHOLE song. (And that boy was just not attractive.)

OMG. [bold]Cossette's[/bold] voice grated on my nerves. In her extended songs she sounded like a LP record being played on 45 high speed, or a chipmunk. I winced when she sang.

[bold]Hugh Jackman[/bold] was good. I like him a lot. Not Fantastic and not up to the versions I've seen on stage but really good. [bold]Bring Him Home[/bold] was good and great for this film.

Poor, poor, Russell Crowe. The worst was how Javert's character got the short shrift again. I feel like his can be a fascinating character when really paid attention to but this film, like many productions I've seen just cuts him down to cardboard cut out cop. I get the sense the director just gave up on him. Not only was Crowe's voice not up to par but Crowe seemed to KNOW it.[bold] He seemed embarrassed in front of the camera.[/bold] He kept an even tone, but sang through his nose the whole time. I give him a B for effort though. He gave it as much as he could and it wasn't totally horrible.

Oh, the Inn Keepers. Good as I would expect from those two. I think they're great actors who can really ham it up so I was surprised at the somewhat subdued and darker treatment of [italic][bold]Master of the House[/bold][/italic]. It wasn't what I expected and I'm not sure I liked it. Sacha Baron Coen's voice seemed to switch accents half way through- was that on purpose? Bonham Carter was good but grittier than expected. They came off more like villains than camp. Not a bad or good thing, just different.

Overall, I would recommend it to anyone. I liked it. It didn't ruin anything. It's a good film to make people think about poverty and self-sacrifice.

As an everyday schmo and huge fan of the musical, I'd give this film 4 out of 5 stars.

by Anonymousreply 37701/09/2013

Oh, I forgot Anne Hathaway. I enjoyed her voice more than anyone else's in the film. I don't know her voice just flowed better with the songs but I think the director really gave her more attention than everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 37801/09/2013

[quote] Oh, I forgot Anne Hathaway.

Ha!

by Anonymousreply 37901/09/2013

R104 you hit a lot of points that I was thinking.

[quote]Russell Crowe: they finally made the character of Javert believable. SPOILER: his pinning the medal on Gavroche's dead body was the beginning of the end for him - he actually had a heart. His death scene was fantastic.

I see your point here but ... I was surprise by this addition. It confused me more than anything. The reversal was so sudden. I always saw Javert's suicide as a crises of his dogmatic faith. The sudden realisation that his LAW was not always correct and he was wrong in pursuing a good man his whole life. Having him suddenly give a dead kid his medal was a bit ... simple and a bit of a shortcut but ... oh well. I guess it worked for the film audience.

And I didn't like his death scene- did we really need the bone-cracking [italic]Kersplat![italic] on the falls to tell the audience that he really [italic]really[/italic] died?

[quote]The Thernadiers: well-cast but their numbers were poorly conceived, staged, and directed. Comedy replaced by sleaze.

I agree. Sleaze and villainy. It didn't feel good. And these two actors are really good at comedy so I was surprised by this.

[quote]My major complaint: too much of the close-up, live singing, intimate shtick, and not enough of the sweeping orchestral moments at full volume. I could hardly hear the orchestra.....Hooper seems like a one-trick pony. For instance, he had the chance to do ONE DAY MORE as the grand number it was meant to be on stage, and instead resorted to a dizzying array of close-ups and fast cutting. He just didn't trust the music and didn't understand the operatic scope of the story.

THANK YOU. This is exactly what I was trying to get at. It lost the epicness of that number with all the cross cutting. He should have let this number have it's space.

[quote]He did succeed in the opening scene: LOOK DOWN as sung by the chorus of men pulling the wrecked ship into dock. Big, grand, sweeping, fantatsic

Yup. This is where the use of film really worked for this story.

by Anonymousreply 38001/09/2013

R376, Spielberg has been left out before.

by Anonymousreply 38101/09/2013

I'm surprised they snubbed him considering he's a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE).

by Anonymousreply 38201/09/2013

shit.[/italic]

[italic]I forgot to end the italics[/italic]

How's that?

by Anonymousreply 38301/09/2013

r377, I loved it, however, I thought it could have easily been trimmed by 10, even 15 minutes and still retained its power and I write this as a fan of the stage production.

Do you have an opinion on its length?

I attended the film with a person who rarely goes to the theatre to watch a film and did not see the stage production, although they were familiar with the story from non-musical film versions.

This person thought LM was winderful but complained about its length. I had to agree.

Aside from aesthetic considerations of genre, I can't help but wonder if word-of-mouth on the length of the film may be discouraging your average fly-over country viewer from choosing to see this at the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 38401/09/2013

.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 38501/09/2013

[quote] Not to mention the heightened religiosity and Christian symbolism absent from the stage version. Hooper doesn't deserve a nomination.

Do you realize that religion is a major, major theme in Les Miserables?

I've purposely avoided Les Mis threads since Christmas, and now I remember why. The anti-Les Mis trolls are seriously making up shit as they go along. Trashing it is the chic, bitchy thing to do. But really, it makes people look like sheer cunts.

by Anonymousreply 38601/09/2013

[quote]Not to mention the heightened religiosity and Christian symbolism absent from the stage version. Hooper doesn't deserve a nomination.

Um. No. Are you fucking kidding me? The Christian themes are the driving force of the book and the musical.

by Anonymousreply 38701/09/2013

Um yeah, I know Christian themes of forgiveness and redemption figure prominently, but the director cheapens it with all the images of crosses, time at the convent, and Valjean dragging heavy shit. It's OTT and I'm not the only one to notice and comment.

by Anonymousreply 38801/09/2013

[quote]I know Christian themes of forgiveness and redemption figure prominently, but the director cheapens it with ...Valjean dragging heavy shit

What?

by Anonymousreply 38901/09/2013

Have you not seen it? The instances of Valjean lugging heavy shit are many and you start to wonder if you're watching the Wolferine.

by Anonymousreply 39001/09/2013

I still wanna fuck Aaron Tveit.

by Anonymousreply 39101/09/2013

No, I haven't seen it, yet. But

[quote]The instances of Valjean lugging heavy shit are many and you start to wonder if you're watching the Wolferine.

doesn't sound like OTT Christian imagery to me. Rather an overly literal image of a man forced to drag his past around with him throughout his life. But I don't know why that's OTT Christian.

by Anonymousreply 39201/09/2013

r375 / r388 Why don't you just stop. You sound stupid. [quote] but the director cheapens it with ...Valjean dragging heavy shit..

You mean the moment he has to do manual labor-and show how prisoners suffered then? Or do you mean the moment he lifted something or someone thus sacrificing his own safety for a stranger? All those moments a) ring true to the story, b) demonstrate the themes of suffering and sacrifice.

Also— true to the book and the musical— Valjean's physical strength is symbolic of his moral strength while it also (ironically) served as the physical trait that allowed Javert to recognize him as a former prisoner— and not some upper-crust Nobleman who worked a day of manual labor in his life.

I'm not big on Xtian themes in most art and literature but this is the one story I think that does it well because it extols what individuals SHOULD do to help others without focusing too much on what a Church or a particular religion.

by Anonymousreply 39301/09/2013

[quote]The instances of Valjean lugging heavy shit are many and you start to wonder if you're watching the Wolferine.

Yeah, especially that moment when he came crashing through the wall and kick Javert's ass - then sliced his guts open....

or not.

by Anonymousreply 39401/09/2013

@394 Take a step back, crazypants. The film is excessive and exhausting like your many posts.

by Anonymousreply 39501/09/2013

I finally saw it last weekend, and after reading some of the criticisms in the press and here, I was was happy to find that I enjoyed it.

I was never a fanatic of the stage musical. My partner took me to see it years ago, and I've heard the OBC recording, or parts of it, a handful of times. But the film has made me more interested in the stage version.

I have no desire to own the film soundtrack. But I would like to pick up a a stage version. What recording of the stage musical would people here recommend? Are they all as bombastic as the OBC album?

by Anonymousreply 39601/09/2013

[quote]I have no desire to own the film soundtrack. But I would like to pick up a a stage version. What recording of the stage musical would people here recommend?

My favorite cast is the 10th ANNIVERSARY CONCERT. It features the so-called Dream Cast -- Colm Wilkinson (Valjean), Philip Quast (Javert), Ruthie Henshall (Fantine), Michael Ball (Marius), Judy Kuhn (Cosette), Lea Salonga (Eponine), Michael Maguire (Enjolras). However, it's just an abridged version. A lot has been cut, but the songs remain.

The COMPLETE SYMPHONIC RECORDING has the complete score/libretto, but apart from Ball and Quast, the rest of the cast is rather subpar, IMO>

Also, the 25th ANNIVERSARY CONCERT has more or less the entire show, but definitely more than the 10th ANNIVERSARY. But I'm also not a fan of that cast, and I don't think it's available on CD, anyway. But there is a recording of the 25th Anniversary Tour, but I haven't listened to that and don't know how much is on it.

by Anonymousreply 39701/09/2013

[quote]And Did they really need to Cue the Rain every time she sang? That soooo contrived.

Don't forget the bit where she sings "The trees are bare and everywhere the streets are full of strangers" and then some random person walks by behind her. haha

by Anonymousreply 39801/09/2013

I feel I'm the only person on the planet who neither loved nor hated this movie. I give it a B minus.

by Anonymousreply 39901/09/2013

That was't confusing at all, R397. It was very helpful.

Thank you for that.

by Anonymousreply 40001/09/2013

Dave Karger is on to something.

Les Miserables will receive a minimum of 10 nominations tomorrow morning and will probably win Best Picture.

Sorry, Les Mis haters, but that's simply what will happen.

by Anonymousreply 40101/09/2013

Nope. Dream on you lunatic. No one believes you.

by Anonymousreply 40201/09/2013

I loved Les Miserables but there's no way it will win Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 40301/09/2013

Les Miserables will win Best Picture, and receive the most nominations.

by Anonymousreply 40401/09/2013

Dave Karger has picked the winning best picture every Oscar year.

by Anonymousreply 40501/09/2013

[quote] They came off more like villains than camp. Not a bad or good thing, just different.

In the book, they are horrific. There is nothing funny about them. I think Carter and Cohen found a good middle ground.

by Anonymousreply 40601/09/2013

SPOILERS UNDER DISCUSSION

Okay, I thought Javert giving his medal to the dead child worked, because it was a very believable crack in his psychic armor. He's spent his whole life beliving "law = good, lawbreakers = bad", and here he was recognizing that a lawbreaker had done something heroic. It's believable that the first crack in his moral system would come under those circumstances; it's easy to feel sentimental about a cute little kid who's never going to talk back, and very difficult to look at a person you hate and admit you are wrong.

If a person has a breakdown because they realize everything they ever believed is wrong, it doesn't happen during a confrontation with someone already hated, because hatred prevents clear thinking.

by Anonymousreply 40701/09/2013

Les Miserables Predicted to Win the Best Picture Oscar at Gold Derby!

Gold Derby now has Les Miserables back in the lead. The pundits who are now predicting it to win include: Pete Hammond (Deadline), Peter Travers (Rolling Stone), Ed Douglas (ComingSoon), Jeff Wells (Hollywood-Elsewhere) and it looks like Dave Karger, too, might be swayed to throw his vote that way. Kris Tapley is already on record predicting not just a Best Picture win but a sweep, with the potential for a record amount of nominations. It will enter the race with 12 nominations, according to Tapley and others.

The holdouts, at least for now, include myself, Anne Thompson, Steve Pond and Scott Feinberg. But who knows how that might change. Tom Hooper would have to win the DGA and Les Mis would have to win the SAG ensemble and then the PGA.

by Anonymousreply 40801/10/2013

God forbid that POS LES MIZ wins Best Picture. I saw it again last night 'cause my mother wanted to see it, and I hated it even more the second time. I mean, it starts out promising -- the prolog is just epic -- but after that it just sucks. A lot of it had to do with Hooper's directorial mistakes (e.g. too many close-ups, shaky cam, lit darkly, incomprehensible screenplay), but the terrible singing and miscastings hurt it a lot, too. I just couldn't wait for it to end. I was hoping my mom would have had enough and want to leave. But she stuck it out. I thought she probably liked it, but in the parking log she said it was too long, some of the singing was off-key and "not pretty to listen to," and more importantly she had trouble following the story. The ride to her house was mostly my explaining the story and certain things she didn't get.

by Anonymousreply 40901/10/2013

I have had the good fortune to have seen Les Mis the movie (2012) twice. I have had even better fortune through the years it seems to have been immune to theatre going types judging by the pompous, self aggrandising sad souls dwelling amongst these "critics". I happily admit to metaphorically being a knuckle dragging male neanderthal when it comes to theatre, opera et al but it places me in the position of being unbiased when viewing this movie. This movie completely moved me, I haven't been so engrossed and affected by my fellow man for ages. The two and a half hour production flew by ending too soon such was its pace and vigour. Ultimately however, I admire the incredible bravery and sheer balls of all involved in this production when, if they listened to the detractors, might never have produced it. I am henceforth a convert from neanderthal to urbane theatre goer.

by Anonymousreply 41001/10/2013

I can't believe they cast HBC in another musical that wasn't directed by Tim Burton. Still, the worst singer is Jackman that one song you expect to hear dogs howling. Crowe doesn't sing bad it just lacks any emotion...

by Anonymousreply 41101/10/2013

Whatever happens in a few minutes' time re the noms, may Anne Hathaway please NOT win an Oscar this year.

Enough!

by Anonymousreply 41201/10/2013

R273

So much for that very reliable source, huh?

by Anonymousreply 41301/10/2013

R401, so much for LES MIZ getting 10 nominations or a record-setting 15. It only got 8 and only 3 major ones -- Picture, Actor and Supporting Actor. LINCOLN has the most with 12.

by Anonymousreply 41401/10/2013

You're a moron, R14. Most films would love to "only get 8."

by Anonymousreply 41501/10/2013

Silver Linings Playbook also get 8, and 7 of those were actually in major categories.

by Anonymousreply 41601/10/2013

Oh God, now we have a Major Category Troll!

by Anonymousreply 41701/10/2013

And your point is, R416?

by Anonymousreply 41801/10/2013

R418, so it's a far cry from the 14-16 nominations some people predicted. Even last night this thread was inundated with LES MIZ freaks posting links to movie pundits predicting record nominations and that it would take Picture and Director. LES MIZ will be lucky if it even wins one or two now. It doesn't have anything in the bag, except for maybe Supporting Actress. That one I can see it still winning.

by Anonymousreply 41901/10/2013

You need a new hobby, R419. Plus you still haven't explained what your post about SLP has to do with this thread. I'm not even voting for Les Mis but I think you are really reaching in your sad effort to piss on its multiple nominations. Try golf instead.

by Anonymousreply 42001/10/2013

Lynn Faildisaster loses, as was predicted.

Dave Karger doesn't have a clue.

by Anonymousreply 42101/10/2013

[quote]I have had the good fortune to have seen Les Mis the movie (2012) twice.

Is this a troll post?

Good Fortune ? Oh, you're so lucky! MARY!

by Anonymousreply 42201/10/2013

Les Miz won three Golden Globes, best Picture, Actor & Supporting Actress Comedy or Musical and won more than any other film.

WINS BY MOTION PICTURE

Les Miserables – 3 Argo – 2

Django Unchained – 2

Amour – 1

Brave – 1

Life Of Pi – 1

Lincoln – 1

Silver Linings Playbook – 1

Skyfall – 1

Zero Dark Thirty – 1

by Anonymousreply 42301/14/2013

Worldwide, Les Mis is up to $238,406,000.

3 Golden Globes awards (Actor, Supporting Actress and Best Picture)

8 Oscar nominations.

Looks like Datalounge anti-Les Mis trolls are more wrong than Lynn "Faildisaster."

So go ahead, keep shitting all over it. You can't change the fact that it's a major hit. Sucks if you can't handle that.t

by Anonymousreply 42401/14/2013

12 million more dollars and a Miss Saigon movie gets made.

by Anonymousreply 42501/14/2013

Re-watching Les Mis as I type this and Eddie does sound like Kermit needing to take a dump.

by Anonymousreply 42601/14/2013

Isn't it 6 millon and Saigon gets filmed?

by Anonymousreply 42701/14/2013

R423, I wouldn't put too much stock in LES MIZ's three wins. If the Golden Globes didn't split Best Picture and Best Actor into Drama and Comedy/Musical, then neither Jackman nor the movie would've won and it would've just gone home with one win. LES MIZ is a longshot to win the Best Picture Oscar and DDL is clearly the favorite for Best Actor. I predict that LES MIZ only walks away with Supporting Actress come Oscar night. It's got too much competition in the other categories in which it's nominated.

by Anonymousreply 42801/14/2013

Just saw it, bitches!! BEST. MOVIE. EVAH!!!!!! Two snaps and a fucking Z, bitches! SUCK IT.

by Anonymousreply 42901/14/2013

R429

Just quoted an In Living Color sketch from 20 years ago... that pretty much sums up their taste level!

by Anonymousreply 43001/14/2013

The acting and singing is brilliant (including Russell Crowe). Either you're going to love it or hate it, because it's singing throughout the whole film.

Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway give their greatest performances. If Daniel Day Lewis wasn't nominated this year, Hugh Jackman would easily win this one.

It's going to be a close race, but I would like to see "Les Miserables" or "Silver Linings Playbook" win Best Picture.

"Argo" and "Zero Dark Thirty" are very good, but not the Best Picture winner, IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 43101/17/2013

Has this movie ruined Russell Crowe's career?

by Anonymousreply 43201/17/2013

I wanted to like this, I really did, but I didn't. It starts to work whenever Hugh or Anne are on the screen, but other than that, not at all.

The jittery camera is always distracting to me, and there is a lot of it.

The score is beautiful, almost sublime, yet it is in the background with the voices forefront.

For a few seconds during the whores sceen, I thought I was watching Cats what with the hairdos and makeup.

I detest Russell Crowe to begin with and the image of him throwing a phone at a desk clerk in a hotel a few years back is all I can think about...ASSHOLE!

Ultimately, it was all way too self-conscious.

by Anonymousreply 43301/17/2013

[quote]The acting and singing is brilliant (including Russell Crowe).

Because you're not a shill. *sarcasm*

[quote]Either you're going to love it or hate it, because it's singing throughout the whole film.

I love the stage version and that's all singing (more so than the film, in fact), but I hate the film for various reasons, but the most glaring was the awful singing. It was painful to listen to, and yes, especially Crowe, but surprisingly also Jackman. I was disappointed by him. He got his start in musical theater and I'd seen him perform at the Oscars and Tonys, but he just couldn't pull off Jean Valjean, and his "Bring Him Home" will go down for me as the worst rendition of that song.

by Anonymousreply 43401/17/2013

R434

When Les Miserables was first announced with Hugh attached I just assumed he was playing Javert.

Someone else should have had the same thought.

by Anonymousreply 43501/17/2013

[quote]I love the stage version and that's all singing (more so than the film, in fact), but I hate the film for various reasons, but the most glaring was the awful singing. It was painful to listen to, and yes, especially Crowe, but surprisingly also Jackman. I was disappointed by him. He got his start in musical theater and I'd seen him perform at the Oscars and Tonys, but he just couldn't pull off Jean Valjean, and his "Bring Him Home" will go down for me as the worst rendition of that song.

"Bring Him Home" is my favorite song in Les Miserables, and I thought Jackman's rendition was very moving. I'm bewildered why you thought otherwise.

I think it takes repeated viewings to appreciate Les Miserables. It's not for everyone if you don't like musicals, but it does deserve the Best Picture award, because its different than other film musicals.

by Anonymousreply 43601/17/2013

[quote]I detest Russell Crowe to begin with and the image of him throwing a phone at a desk clerk in a hotel a few years back is all I can think about...ASSHOLE!

Russell Crowe did apologize for that, and you shouldn't hate on him, he is a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 43701/17/2013

R436

I've had to watch it multiple times and it does NOT get better. In fact, it just gets worse and worse.

by Anonymousreply 43801/17/2013

I didn't like the movie very much. Nor did I hate it.

Hathaway seems to be the only chance for a Les Mis oscar. She may very well win. Or she might not.

by Anonymousreply 43901/17/2013

Jackman's doing a q&a following a SAG screening here in NYC on Sunday. I might attend.

My SAG friends are loving their DVDs of Les Miserables and are voting for Jackman, Hathaway and Best Cast Of A Motion Picture. That could change the momentum for it in terms of the Oscars no matter what that moronic bitch Sasha Stone writes.

And did I mention already it'll probably get more than a few BAFTAS? Skyfall will get Best Cinematography and Best Song and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 44001/17/2013

I hope you have only two friends, Lynn. It would be a travesty if LES MIZ won anything. It's such an awful movie. I thought so the first time, but recently had to watch it again 'cause a friend wanted to watch it, but as Roger Ebert said, it was "near-unbearable." My mind wandered 'cause I couldn't take anymore the terrible singing, the shaky camera, the slow pacing, the overall bad direction.

by Anonymousreply 44101/17/2013

Jesus, this is gonna be a train wreck! They couldn't sing live on film, what makes them think they can do it on TV?

by Anonymousreply 44201/17/2013

[quote]My SAG friends are loving their DVDs of Les Miserables and are voting for Jackman, Hathaway

YOUR SAG friends would.

Like Hopkins' said people fuck the voters for these awards & it is obvious that the hook-for-glory award this year goes to Les Mis.

by Anonymousreply 44301/17/2013

[quote]I hope you have only two friends, Lynn. It would be a travesty if LES MIZ won anything

How can that be a travesty? It's a brilliant movie!

For those who haven't seen it, I guarantee that you will have a wonderful time.

by Anonymousreply 44401/17/2013

I saw it, r444. Its saving grace is that there is truly exceptional acting by Hugh Jackman, Eddie Redmayne, and the kid playing Gavroche.

There is exceptional singing by Samantha Barks, Aaron Tveit, and - to a lesser degree - Eddie Redmayne.

Jackman can't sing the role, but it sort of doesn't matter because of how well he acts it.

The rest of it - including Hathaway - is awful.

It's nothing even resembling "brilliant."

by Anonymousreply 44501/17/2013

"Jackman can't sing the role, but it sort of doesn't matter because of how well he acts it."

You bet it matters. It's a musical! Crowe and Jackman were awful.

by Anonymousreply 44601/24/2013

I have friends who are SAG members, half voted for Les Miserables, while the other half voted for Silver Linings Playbook.

by Anonymousreply 44701/24/2013

Why LES MIZ? It's such a terrible movie -- terrible singing, terrible direction, terrible camerawork, so-so acting.

by Anonymousreply 44801/24/2013

Silver Linings Playbook was overrated, too. Bradley Cooper, seriously? Joaquin Phoenix deserved that slot. Not nominating him to make a point is just stupid....

by Anonymousreply 44901/24/2013

I actually like the Poland Les Miz flash mob. The music is so much better when you can't understand the lame and stupid lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 45001/25/2013

The lyrics are not lame, what are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 45101/25/2013

I finally saw this movie last night. I have no experience with the novel, any film version, or the stage show. Here are some of my thoughts. I thought the character motivations were hard to follow. Why did Valjean not want anyone to know he helped the young man through the sewer? Why did he disappear to go die in the church? If Valjean knew this inspector wasn't going to give up on him, why did he hang around the same area? Why not move? Why did the inspector kill himself? It seemed you have to bring a lot of knowledge of these characters to the table to enjoy this version. Why did the innkeepers keep re-appearing and seem to know all kinds of inside information? It played like a clip reel missing important exposition. I did enjoy a lot of the music and am now curious to hear it sung by real singers. I thought Crowe was pretty bad but I give him credit for putting himself out there. I thought Ann(e) was fine, too.

by Anonymousreply 45202/03/2013

"For those who haven't seen it, I guarantee that you will have a wonderful time."

You know that some people did not like the movie.

Therefore, how could you possibly guarantee that people who haven't seen it would like it, let alone that they will have a wonderful time?

by Anonymousreply 45302/03/2013

Sorry but one doesn't have to be making a point about Phoenix's anti-awards stance to believe that Cooper's performance was superior to Phoenix's. I love Phoenix as an actor but what he did in The Master - in my opinion, of course, it goes without saying- was the pinnacle of indulgence. Clearly, that's what Anderson wanted from it, but that excuse only goes so far; it doesn't make it a good performance just because he was doing what the director demanded as best as he, or even anyone, possibly could. It just means that the director intentionally got a bad performance out of him. My opinion, of course, others will disagree.

In any event, there were only three truly brilliant performances by leading men this year. Day-Lewis, who's nominated. Trintignant and Jack Black, who were not.

by Anonymousreply 45402/03/2013

As I said in the Ben Affleck DGA thread, Les Miserables still has a shot at taking Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 45502/03/2013

It doesn't matter WHAT you said, Lynn. You have called it wrong way too much to still be braying about any new predictions. And what does it matter? At this point you'd best concede that what Anthony Hopkins said about actors doing extracurricular shit to win over voters is true, & exposes the whole process as corrupt.

That's the REAL story & it's pretty miserable.

by Anonymousreply 45602/03/2013

Speaking of best picture winners, how come I never come across The Artist nowadays when spinning the dial? Did it ever air on a premium pay channel?

by Anonymousreply 45702/03/2013

Libby Gelman-Waxner's review.

by Anonymousreply 45802/08/2013

[quote]In fact, I've been picturing Les Miz if it had been directed by Quentin Tarantino, because that way, after each song the characters would get their heads blown off.

That gets my vote. And a vast improvement!

by Anonymousreply 45902/08/2013

I like the part about Eddie Redmayne becoming the new Pippi Longstocking. (But don't tell Tami Erin!)

by Anonymousreply 46002/08/2013

Why are critics and Dataloungers so bitter about Les Miserables' appeal and success?

by Anonymousreply 46102/08/2013

Please, Oscar chances for best picture are lower than "Life of Pi" now. "Argo" is picking up steam now.

by Anonymousreply 46202/08/2013

It's Les Miz fans (Twihards) & shills that are insisting on it getting too much attention. Lincoln has the wins. It's only successful like Twilight is, not great reviews or good art. Plus the cast shit in their pants to get themselves noms. Not cool.

by Anonymousreply 46302/08/2013

R457, THE ARTIST was such a terrible winner. The story was quite pedestrian and predictable, and a rehash of A STAR IS BORN and SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. If it hadn't been for the "silent" gimmick, and if it had been filmed as a regular movie with audible dialog, people wouldn't have creamed their pants over it.

R461, it's a terrible movie -- terrible singing, terrible direction, terrible CGI, terrible cheap sets, terrible acting!

by Anonymousreply 46402/08/2013

[quote]Why are critics and Dataloungers so bitter about Les Miserables' appeal and success?

[quote]by: Answer: Jealousy

I don't think human beings tend to be jealous of [italic]movies.[/italic] Jealousy tends to be directed almost entirely toward other actual human beings.

I'd stick to Theater as a major and give up on Psychology, were I you.

by Anonymousreply 46502/08/2013

A typical Les Mis fan world view R465. Using words like "jealous" just like idiotic Twihards. To them only Jackman & DDL should be in the race because they have a limited view of art. Pleasant, respectable subjects only. Not too challenging, like the AAAS.

It's Bella & Edward all over again.

by Anonymousreply 46602/08/2013

It's surfaced on HBO already. Just catching up with it now. Jackman is better than I expected but he really does read gay. I loathe Hathaway and would have given the Oscar to Sally Field because I think she gave the better performance. Crowe's singing doesn't bother me.

But the whole thing left me numb - just like it did on stage.

by Anonymousreply 46709/08/2013

[quote]There's no way I'd want to count Anne's cavities and fillings as she belted out I Dreamed a Dream on screen

And by the way WHY were her teeth so white and straight during that song? If they really wanted to make that believable they should have at least digitized them to look bad, and she HAD all of her teeth, which is counter to the scene just prior where they pulled her teeth.

by Anonymousreply 46809/08/2013

One of the whores tells the 'dentist' to just pull the back teeth which is why she has all of her front teeth. And her teeth did look pretty grey in the hospital right before she croaks.

by Anonymousreply 46909/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.