Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ten questions about "American Horror Story" season ONE

Yes, I know there's a long thread for the new season of the show, but I just finished watching the first one and I have a few unresolved questions I was hoping you bitches could answer:

1. I know Ryan Murphy et al are on record stating they had a clear vision of the entire season from the beginning, but that doesn't seem to be the case upon viewing. Why on earth did they bother with the "crazy-person guest star of the week" thing (Cam on "Modern Family," Tara's mom on "True Blood," etc.) when it had absolutely nothing to do with the plot and ended after the fourth or fifth episode? What was the point of introducing *another* minor character afflicted with Down's syndrome (as on "Glee"), only to kill her off?

2. Am I the only one who noticed that the show seemed to pivot from the house supposedly driving people to murder to Tate suddenly being responsible for all of it over the past 20 years?

3. Where did the four teen ghosts who showed up on Halloween come from, and where did they go? Are they haunting the high school, since they were killed there?

4. How are we supposed to buy that Ben's fucktoy Hayden did a complete 180-degree turn from rational college girl to psychotic Alex Forrest-wannabe, even WITHOUT any contact with or entrance to the house?

5. Similarly, how are we supposed to buy that Vivien wouldn't notice -- when getting "raped" by Tate -- that Tate weighs a good 30 or 40 pounds less than the husband she's been sleeping with for close to 20 years?

6. Since when do latex-PVC suits designed for submissives have a zipper in *front* allowing them to be the dom?

7. Perhaps a little obvious, but how the fuck does a marginally employed psychiatrist afford a 10,000 sq ft L.A. mansion??

8. Where the fuck do the ghosts conjure different changes of CLOTHES and makeup?! And how do they gain access to shit like fresh paint, Christmas trees and tea if they can't leave the property's physical premises??

9.If the dead can't alter or clean up their appearance as they were at the time of murder, including gunshots and shotgun blasts that have removed half their face, then how the fuck did Hayden have a spotless, scarless face after Russell Edgington literally bashed it in???

10. And finally, HOW THE FUCK do two parents go a month or more without noticing that THEIR DAUGHTER IS DEAD??? The complete lack of eating didn't give her away? The complete lack of bathing? The complete lack of laundry needing to be done? Never leaving the house to even *feign* going to school?

All that said, I really enjoyed the season as a whole, and somehow I didn't even see the twist of Violet being dead coming, even though it was stolen directly and unabashedly from "The Sixth Sense."

by Anonymousreply 2012/10/2012

OP, have you ever looked into pot?

You should try it.

by Anonymousreply 112/09/2012

I really, really liked season one (...late to the dance, haven't yet dug into season two).

I think part of the reason I haven't started season two yet is that I was very disappointed by the end of season one (SPOILER AHEAD) ...when the latest family went all 'Beetlejuice' on the newest family that had just moved in .... for a pretty serious season, THAT was very lame to me.

by Anonymousreply 212/10/2012

[quote]What was the point of introducing *another* minor character afflicted with Down's syndrome (as on "Glee"), only to kill her off?

[bold]Every single recurring character[/bold] died by the end of the season, except the real estate agent. Why should the character with Down's syndrome be excepted?

by Anonymousreply 312/10/2012

[quote]2. Am I the only one who noticed that the show seemed to pivot from the house supposedly driving people to murder to Tate suddenly being responsible for all of it over the past 20 years?

The house was prompting people to murder before Tate came along. Tate merged with the house's evil--it enabled him to come back as a ghost.

by Anonymousreply 412/10/2012

[quote]3. Where did the four teen ghosts who showed up on Halloween come from, and where did they go? Are they haunting the high school, since they were killed there?

According to the show, Halloween is the one night when all ghosts can walk the earth. These four ghosts were killed at the school so they came back on Halloween to the Murder House to confront Tate. They do not haunt the high school.

by Anonymousreply 512/10/2012

[quote]4. How are we supposed to buy that Ben's fucktoy Hayden did a complete 180-degree turn from rational college girl to psychotic Alex Forrest-wannabe, even WITHOUT any contact with or entrance to the house?

The same way you're supposed to buy that a doctor can bring his baby's corpse back to life and equip it with giant scary teeth. Or that ghosts can haunt a house. It's a TV show, honey.

by Anonymousreply 612/10/2012

[quote]5. Similarly, how are we supposed to buy that Vivien wouldn't notice -- when getting "raped" by Tate -- that Tate weighs a good 30 or 40 pounds less than the husband she's been sleeping with for close to 20 years?

I don't think you're correct there. Tate also has a good build--he and the husband could be confused in that suit.

by Anonymousreply 712/10/2012

[quote]7. Perhaps a little obvious, but how the fuck does a marginally employed psychiatrist afford a 10,000 sq ft L.A. mansion??

They made a big point on the show of the fact that the house was enormously marked down because it sat on the market for so long since it was notorious throughout Southern California as The Murder House, and no one would buy it.

by Anonymousreply 812/10/2012

[quote]8. Where the fuck do the ghosts conjure different changes of CLOTHES and makeup?! And how do they gain access to shit like fresh paint, Christmas trees and tea if they can't leave the property's physical premises??

Well, why the fuck should ghosts have clothes at all? Clothes don't die when people die. if you can accept people can come back from the dead in clothes, why should it necessarily have to be the clothes they wore when they died?

by Anonymousreply 912/10/2012

[quote]9.If the dead can't alter or clean up their appearance as they were at the time of murder, including gunshots and shotgun blasts that have removed half their face, then how the fuck did Hayden have a spotless, scarless face after Russell Edgington literally bashed it in???

This seemed to have more to do with scaring the audience then having to do with any "rules" to what the dead look like. Again, if you're going to buy that the dead can come back, why should their appearance necessarily always be the same?

by Anonymousreply 1012/10/2012

[quote]10. And finally, HOW THE FUCK do two parents go a month or more without noticing that THEIR DAUGHTER IS DEAD??? The complete lack of eating didn't give her away? The complete lack of bathing? The complete lack of laundry needing to be done? Never leaving the house to even *feign* going to school?

I'm not sure it was necessarily a full month. But the point the shows' writers were making was that the parents were so thoroughly traumatized by the point Violet died that they had little sense of reality anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1112/10/2012

[quote]All that said, I really enjoyed the season as a whole, and somehow I didn't even see the twist of Violet being dead coming, even though it was stolen directly and unabashedly from "The Sixth Sense."

It goes back way, way, way before "The Sixth Sense"--at least as far back as the 1920s Sutton Vane Broadway play "Between Two Worlds" (later made into a movie, and then in the 70s a TV movie called "Haunts of the Very Rich"). It certainly wasn't original to M. Night Shymamalan--it's been used again and again in literature and film. Indeed, C. S. Lewis even uses the trick in his children's book "The Last Battle."

by Anonymousreply 1212/10/2012

[quote]I think part of the reason I haven't started season two yet is that I was very disappointed by the end of season one (SPOILER AHEAD) ...when the latest family went all 'Beetlejuice' on the newest family that had just moved in .... for a pretty serious season, THAT was very lame to me.

Agreed. I was expecting a cathartic ending along the lines of "Poltergeist," where the house gets sucked up into a miasma of spectral energy, but a "happy" ending where the family just keeps on haunting the house for the foreseeable future? Lame.

[quote]The house was prompting people to murder before Tate came along. Tate merged with the house's evil--it enabled him to come back as a ghost.

This makes zero sense. Everyone *else* who was killed on-site came back, so why wouldn't Tate have come back as a ghost regardless? (he was killed in his bedroom, after all)

[quote]According to the show, Halloween is the one night when all ghosts can walk the earth. These four ghosts were killed at the school so they came back on Halloween to the Murder House to confront Tate. They do not haunt the high school.

I've read that, but where do they go the other 364 days a year if they're not haunting anything?

[quote]They made a big point on the show of the fact that the house was enormously marked down because it sat on the market for so long since it was notorious throughout Southern California as The Murder House, and no one would buy it.

I'm aware of that, but in reality, L.A. real estate is fucking *cutthroat*, and in real life the house sold earlier this year for close to $5 million (at its same proximate location in the Mid-City part of L.A., not far from Hancock Park). Considering that, even today after the market decline, you could spend close to a million on a relatively pedestrian WeHo 2BR cottage - just how low could the price on a 10,000 sq ft mansion (one with AT LEAST a million bucks in restoration work with it - the pilot was filmed in the original house and then replicated for production) go?

Another question: the emergency nurse who fainted at the hospital after doing Viv's ultrasound. What did she really see?? It seemed like the writers were just going to drop it but then realized how big a plot hole it left, so they came up with a hasty explanation that she quit immediately and began a nun because she'd seen "the antichrist." But how?? The baby came out looking perfectly normal. (Btw so did the stillborn baby, which was fucking HUGE for a three-month preemie whose twin brother had hogged all of mommy's internal nutrients while pregnant.)

One more: dead people are cold (literally), as noted by the hot Latino kid on the final episode. How does a dead person, then, manage to engage in sex, which gets the heart pumping except they HAVE no heart pumping?? Hayden established that ghosts could fuck living men (in her case, Constance's fucktoy Travis), but OTOH Tate couldn't get an erection for Violet until after she died.

by Anonymousreply 1312/10/2012

How many more episodes for this season?

by Anonymousreply 1412/10/2012

All of your questions can be answered in one simple phrase:

A wizard did it.

by Anonymousreply 1512/10/2012

I will be honest that I never really 'got' the "he sees a young maid" and "she sees an old maid" thing .... she never lived to be an old maid, so how did she 'age' ?

But as someone else upthread said, all of it required a suspension of belief, so I just went with it and enjoyed it all. (except that ending !!)

by Anonymousreply 1612/10/2012

R 12, I think the play that you are referring to is Outward Bound. Between Two Worlds was written by Elmer Rice and is about Soviet and American ideaology.

by Anonymousreply 1712/10/2012

[quote]I've read that, but where do they go the other 364 days a year if they're not haunting anything?

They're ghosts. They're dead. They don't have to "go" anywhere--they just disappear.

[quote]I'm aware of that, but in reality, L.A. real estate is fucking *cutthroat*,

This is not reality. This is a TV show.

And in Boston they had a house that was probably worth over one or two million dollars. (They showed it in the first episode.) Psychiatrists make a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 1912/10/2012

[quote]Another question: the emergency nurse who fainted at the hospital after doing Viv's ultrasound. What did she really see?? It seemed like the writers were just going to drop it but then realized how big a plot hole it left, so they came up with a hasty explanation that she quit immediately and began a nun because she'd seen "the antichrist." But how?? The baby came out looking perfectly normal.

Demons can assume other forms, so why can't the Antichrist?

by Anonymousreply 2012/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.