Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The elliptical machine at the gym

I'm a fatty who recently joined a gym. All I do is walk on the treadmill because so far, that's all I'm comfortable doing. I've noticed that most of the treadmills are vacant and people tend to use the elliptical machines instead.

Do those machines burn more calories than a treadmill? I don't know if I'm coordinated enough to do it. My knee probably wouldn't hurt as much.

by Anonymousreply 5811/30/2014

The elliptical is the best exercise machine in terms of putting the least pressure on your knees and joints. How many calories it burns is up to you, someone running on a 9 incline on a treadmill is burning a lot more calories than someone on a level 1 elliptical program. I have done both and prefer the elliptical- and so do my knees.

by Anonymousreply 112/09/2012

Yes, especially for a heavy person, the elliptical is the way to go!!! Great that you are excercising!!!

by Anonymousreply 212/09/2012

The elliptical is better for my knees, but I feel like the treadmill is such a better workout. I tend to switch between the two.

by Anonymousreply 312/09/2012

Thanks, I didn't even know there were levels on the elliptical machine. I guess you can adjust the tension. At least the elliptical works your arms a little.

by Anonymousreply 412/09/2012

If I crank the treadmill up to the highest incline, I can walk very slowly and still get my heart rate up as much as if I were jogging on a flat surface.

by Anonymousreply 512/09/2012

Yes, elliptical is really good - increase the levels and you're basically close to the same level as running on a treadmill.

I often see people walking on a treadmill at 0 incline. Move it up to 5 or 10 (sometimes I do 12), and it's really hiking and can really get your heartrate up fast.

by Anonymousreply 612/09/2012

Elliptical is a good choice. It seems like a lot less work than a treadmill and for me the time just seems to fly by. I still use a treadmill, but the time just drags on and on.

by Anonymousreply 712/09/2012

Elliptical is also easier if you want to do interval training.

by Anonymousreply 812/09/2012

Another vote for the elliptical. I have a bad left knee and the treadmill makes it worse.

by Anonymousreply 912/09/2012

Can you incline the elliptical machine?

by Anonymousreply 1012/10/2012

Yes, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1112/10/2012

Not yet mentioned, but the elliptical is MUCH better at giving you a comprehensive lower-body aerobic workout versus the treadmill, which only works the muscle groups associated with running or speed walking. Setting an elliptical to go "uphill" then "downhill" covers all your major lower-body muscle groups. Even better, unlike the treadmill or running, the highest incline setting on the elliptical (akin to steep hiking) is fucking AWESOME for building up your ass!

by Anonymousreply 1212/10/2012

I would love to have a dynamic ass instead of a doughy one.

by Anonymousreply 1312/10/2012

Yes, but can you do this on an elliptical machine?

by Anonymousreply 1412/12/2012

I have awful arthritis in my hips and knees. The elliptical machine is the only one that doesn't hurt me while using it.

by Anonymousreply 1512/12/2012

I tend to prefer the elliptical but find if i run on a treadmill, i'm still 'burning' even hours later. This doesn't happen with elliptical for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 1612/12/2012

Keep exercising! I look forward to the day when you stop calling yourself a "fattie." (How unfortunate...)

by Anonymousreply 1712/12/2012

The elliptical hurts my knees more than the treadmill....for what it's worth, but variety is good.

by Anonymousreply 1812/12/2012

The elliptical is a joke and a waste of time. It is popular not because it is "low impact"; it is popular because it is extremely easy. It allows a person to tick off the cardio box without exerting any effort. Momentum does all the work (and spare me the nonsense about cranking up the resistance or incline).

Look, it is clear that they are here to stay, but just don't fool yourself as to why they are popular and why you are on it, or why you would rather spend 30 minutes flailing on the elliptical than 3 minutes running.

by Anonymousreply 1912/12/2012

There appears to be a 'fat' troll running amok. Likely the same psycho who keeps posting all the threads about cum eating and HIV.

by Anonymousreply 2012/12/2012

Since when do overweight people refer to themselves as being a "fatty?" P. T. Barnum was right after all it would seem.

by Anonymousreply 2112/12/2012

Elliptical machine totally firmed up my glutes. Yay.

by Anonymousreply 2212/12/2012

Yes, a total waste of time. In fact, such a waste of time that the 80 lbs I lost just doing an elliptical last year is an illusion.

by Anonymousreply 2312/12/2012

I use the elliptical machine all the time because it's easy, but if I spend the same amount of time on the stairmaster, I sweat much more and presume I'm burning more calories.

by Anonymousreply 2412/12/2012

r19, I do the Elliptical EVERY day for 60 minutes and it has been the best possible cause of my trim build and flat stomach than any other exercise I've done.

by Anonymousreply 2512/12/2012

I do the incline on the elliptical at 20 and the resistance at 12 so r19 is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2612/12/2012

It all depends on how intensely you use it.

Anyone here who is calling it useless hasn't used it repeatedly on a high resistance setting and pedaled their ass off on it.

by Anonymousreply 2712/12/2012

It is useless if you put in on a low setting and then just casually move your feet while reading a magazine or watching TV which, admittedly, is what a lot of gymgoers do. Try doing the interval training for 45-60 minutes alternating between 145 and 250 rpms every two minutes on a reasonably high setting. I've been doing that for a year and a half and have dropped a lot of weight, toned up, significantly increased endurance and my legs and ass look great and very muscular.

by Anonymousreply 2812/12/2012

In order for it to be a cardio workout, you need to get your heart rate over 130 bpm for a person in their 40's. I'm guessing you are around this age. It's also fat burning. The elliptical machines at my gyms have a way to measure your heart rate while doing your workout. Ask a trainer to assist you. Good luck and eat a good diet. Cut way down on sugars, and have protein with each meal. Whey protein shakes helped me lose 30 lbs. Drink a lot of water before meals and in-between.

by Anonymousreply 2912/12/2012

It's a great way to start. I progressed from treadmill to elliptical to bike to machines and some free weights. Basically I sat on that thing and watched people use the machines and weights in figured out how to use them. Then I added them to my cardio.

by Anonymousreply 3012/12/2012

I am puzzled why OP has to post this question on Datalounge. Did he join a gym that has no staff and trainers who would give him a tour and a few pointers what to do in order to reach his goals about health and fitness right when he joined?

by Anonymousreply 3112/12/2012

Well come on, teletubby! Teleport us to Mars!

by Anonymousreply 3212/12/2012

I have this. Lost 80 lbs doing it. Highly recommended and it's fun!

by Anonymousreply 3312/12/2012

The elliptical is largely useless, at all levels of incline and resistance. It might provide some benefit to a person who is injured, obese, or elderly, but for a healthy adult it is an awful choice of exercise. It is less aggressive than just going for an easy walk. It is popular because it is easy, and that is it.

Just do a quick observation at any gym, anywhere. People on ellipticals are not breathing hard, they are not sweating, and they are not (at least by all appearances) exerting much effort. Why? Because they don't have to! The elliptical machine fully supports your weight (unlike a treadmill or stairmaster), and YOU set the pace (as opposed to an external force as on a treadmill). The pace of the workout is vastly more critical than the incline or resistance level. And elliptical users nearly universally simply go at the simple pace of momentum.

It gets a little more complicated, but in my mind the elliptical belongs in the large trash heap of wildly popular pieces of exercise equipment that are popular because they offer easy solutions, not because they get anyone in shape.

I am not asking anyone to take my word for it. Just that you do this next time you are on the elliptical, ask yourself 10 or 15 or 20 minutes in: am I working hard? am I exerting effort? would I be working harder if I were on another piece of equipment? I can hardly believe that honest answers to these questions wouldn't result in the obvious conclusion that you would be much better off stair climbing; running; jumping rope; biking; or swimming.

My (strongly held) view is that the elliptical provides an illusion of a workout and little else.

by Anonymousreply 3412/13/2012

I think as long as you're moving and your heart rate is up whatever you use is fine. But listen to R19/34. It's not a long term solution to good fitness.

I sweat more when I use the stationary bike so I prefer that to the elliptical.

by Anonymousreply 3512/13/2012

Do not buy a home elliptical machine. They are terrible. Unless you can afford to purchase the same elliptical that is at the gym, don't buy one.

by Anonymousreply 3709/08/2013

R33's linked product is for 400 lb lesbians who wear a helmet.

by Anonymousreply 3809/08/2013

For what it's worth, I hurt my knee a few years ago and still can't use elliptical trainers because they always aggravate it. The physio said this is quite a common problem because the footplates are further apart than you'd normally keep your knees when running.

by Anonymousreply 3909/08/2013

I love the elliptical. I put the incline on 10 and switch between light and heavy on the resistance. I don't like treadmills. Always afraid i'm going to trip and fall.

by Anonymousreply 4009/08/2013

r39 makes a good point: you have to make sure your feet are the correct width apart. If the elliptical feels 'unnatural' walking briskly on a treadmill is probably just as well. Avoid those weird treadmills with the separate parallel tracks for each foot; nobody walks like that and you're liable to get injured.

I use an elliptical and sweat a ton and get my heart rate up by using the climbing setting for a half hour. It's true a lot of people use them and watch tv and barely move. Waste of time in that case.

by Anonymousreply 4109/08/2013

I tend to agree with R19 about the elliptical. It's movement, but it's not a great work out.

I prefer the power-walking on the treadmill. You can certainly challenge yourself with a good pace and substantial incline. Works for me regarding staying fit and keeping the weight off.

by Anonymousreply 4209/08/2013

Just go for a long walk. You see the world and enjoy life. Life on a machine is meaningless

by Anonymousreply 4309/08/2013

My calorie burn is much better on the treadmill or the stair master.

The elliptical machine is great for people starting out because it helps keep you in motion for longer periods of time but to really get a good workout from it you will need to challenge yourself by adjusting the inclines and resistance for extended periods of time.

If you're not in bad shape then don't bother wasting your time on it, instead try running on the treadmill for 30 mins, that will be a better workout then spending 60 mins on an elliptical.

by Anonymousreply 4409/08/2013

R19 and his friends don't understand basic physiology. Any exercise that challenges muscles, increases the heart rate and makes you sweat is a good, effective exercise.

by Anonymousreply 4509/08/2013

A good solid 20 minutes of cardio definitely regulates my eating, R27.

I think what R19 is trying to say is, the elliptical is fine for 'conditioning' oneself to daily cardio but once you can push yourself, try to transition to the treadmill or stairmaster. Even better, add weights into the mix.

by Anonymousreply 4909/08/2013

Just wondering, any recommendations for an apps that keep track of work outs and/or track running, biking and walking? A good friend has this great one in London - but I don't find it in the app store (walk4life). Anyone? THANKS!

by Anonymousreply 5109/09/2013

What is the best elliptical machine for dropping fat?

by Anonymousreply 5209/27/2013

Come on...Prancercizing is the way to go.

by Anonymousreply 5309/27/2013

Do elliptical machines make your butt bigger in a good way?

by Anonymousreply 5410/07/2013

try Strava r51.

by Anonymousreply 5510/07/2013

[quote]An hour of jogging, or on an elliptical machine burns far fewer calories than one might think. I mean, that spinach wrap on your chicken caesar is over 200 calories alone! Wouldn't you rather pick better food choices and skip the time wasted on these machines which offer so little?

Cutting calories is fine. Cutting empty calories is great. It's good to knock off a couple hundred calories where you can but there's only so much you can cut back on in your diet. You have to still eat.

The difference is cutting back too much on food makes me grumpy while doing an hour of working out will put me in a better mood. BTW an hour on the treadmill for me burns 600 calories and I'm a slow runner.

by Anonymousreply 5610/07/2013

The elliptical machine always worked for me. It's nice to see the scale numbers drop each week.

by Anonymousreply 5710/07/2013

Is it good for the glutes? Does it build glutes or just tone them?

by Anonymousreply 5811/30/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!