Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Having people over for dinner much wine to buy?

Having six people for dinner (plus partner), so eight total. I have my whole menu prepared but need to run out for booze. I'm thinking one bottle red and one bottle white. Is that enough?? Epicurous, make diff. suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 2212/09/2012

If you don't know your guests' preferences, then assume worst case, i.e. every guest will drink white, or every guest will drink red.

One standard 750 ml bottle contains about 5 glasses of wine. Assume each guest will average 2.5 glasses of wine. That's 20 glasses of wine in total, which is 4 bottles of wine.

So, you should have available 4 bottles of red and 4 bottles of white.

It's not as if the left over bottles will go to waste. Having wine available in your home is good thing.

by Anonymousreply 112/09/2012

It depends on how shitty your cooking is...

by Anonymousreply 212/09/2012

R2 is 100% correct. Besides, not everyone drinks wine...unless you know for a fact that all your guests are lushes.

by Anonymousreply 312/09/2012

Someone that keeps posting threads here must have a time machine. I swear, some of you write like it's still 1978.

by Anonymousreply 412/09/2012

Buy more than you think you'll need. If the guests are having fun, they might want it.

by Anonymousreply 512/09/2012

Two bottles of wine for eight fucking people?

You cheap bastard!

by Anonymousreply 612/09/2012

Make sure you don't serve instant coffee!

Will you serve cak for desert? Or bread pudding?

Are you making your own graxy?

Will hors d'oeuvres include red dragon cheese?

Do you have enough room to set up a baked potato bar?

by Anonymousreply 712/09/2012

This just might be the silliest thread ever. You're having a dinner party for, I assume, friends and you have to ask such a silly question to strangers on a message board? Really? If they are your friends, then you know how much they drink and what they drink. You also know what you're serving for dinner, so you will know what type of wine to buy. Stop making life harder than it has to be, OP.

by Anonymousreply 812/09/2012

You should have, at a minimum, one bottle of wine per guest.

by Anonymousreply 912/09/2012

I'd be on the safe side and go with 8 bottles of red and 8 bottles of white. You can drink up the leftovers yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1012/09/2012

I have to agree with R9 - if that's the only alcohol you'll be serving.

Nothing can kill a dinner party (or any party) faster than having nothing left to drink.

by Anonymousreply 1112/09/2012

Two bottles is a fucking joke for eight people. You should be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 1212/09/2012

OP could always water down 2 bottles of wine and to make 4 bottles worth.

by Anonymousreply 1312/09/2012

Two bottles for eight people? Have you never had a dinner party before? One bottle per because you never know, they may have a great time (although I doubt since it's obvious you have no clue how to have a dinner party)and want to stay late and chat. Always have more than you think you need.

by Anonymousreply 1412/09/2012

1 per. some will likely bring a bottle. you should always be with leftover.

by Anonymousreply 1512/09/2012

You know these threads are started by that Umpy creature, wondering, "What kind of things do people do when they socialize with human beings?"

by Anonymousreply 1612/09/2012

You need FIFTY (5-0) bottles of wine.

One person can easily polish off an entire bottle even before appetizers.

by Anonymousreply 1712/09/2012

It's the IDP (Imaginary Dinner Party) Troll.

by Anonymousreply 1812/09/2012

Your friends are presumably cheap. I bring my own alcohol. I would not expect the host to provide.

by Anonymousreply 1912/09/2012

[quote]Buy more than you think you'll need. If the guests are having fun, they might want it.

And, if the guests are not having fun, they might [bold][italic]really[/bold][/italic] want it.

by Anonymousreply 2012/09/2012

Two or three boxes should cover it!

by Anonymousreply 2112/09/2012

You could make sangria with the wine your guests will bring.

by Anonymousreply 2212/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!