Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My county is on the verge of spending taxpayer funds on a streetcar, all in the name of revitalizing an undesirable neighborhood, and I think it's ludicrous. Outside of San Francisco, do streetcars really serve a practical purpose? Aren't they more than a little outdated in the modern age? I'm willing to concede I might be looking at this through a narrow lens...any thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 4112/10/2012

We have streetcars now in Portland (in addition to our light rail) and they are supercool and have reduced car traffic and have made life much easier for people who cannot afford cars or who are ethically opposed to owning them.

by Anonymousreply 112/09/2012

[quote]Outside of San Francisco, do streetcars really serve a practical purpose?

New Orleans and foreign cities.

by Anonymousreply 212/09/2012

"Chug, chug, chug," went the motor,

"Bump, bump, bump," went the brake,

"Thump, thump, thump," went my heart strings,

When he smiled, I could feel the car shake.

by Anonymousreply 312/09/2012

They were originally going to do light rail in my city (Detroit) along Woodward Avenue into the suburbs, but decided against it because of questions of whether we can afford it, who is paying for it, and how long will they be paying. Instead, for less money than light rail would have cost, they are going to set up a bus rapid transit system along three major thoroughfares - Woodward, Gratiot and Michigan Ave, with the idea that if it is successful, they will consider building light rail. This is one of the few things going on in Detroit/Michigan that I'm optimistic about - where they are actually thinking in a forward manner instead of reactively, or unsustainably.

I think streetcars/light rail can be a great tool in revitalizing neighborhoods and downtown areas, but you can't do it in an "If you build it they will come" manner. I think trialing with BRT is a great way to gauge support before you pay a huge amount of money for permanent infrastructure.

by Anonymousreply 412/09/2012

Agree with R4. BRT is economical and is a good backup system fro heavy rail, subways and LRT in metro areas with functioning transit systems. Detroit's move was very wise since, in many cases, BRT usually leads to LRT when numbers warrat. Curitiba, Brazil has a great one and others liek Ottawa in Canada were efficient for decades, but now higher commuter numbers mean that LRT can be built (and justified cost-wise).

by Anonymousreply 512/09/2012

I love the ones we have in boston. both green line and red line.

by Anonymousreply 612/09/2012

St. Louis is attempting to build a street car line in and around the University City Loop and into Forest Park. I believe it's nearing the construction phase.

The last street car line in St. Louis was the Hodiamont line, which ran on it's own dedicated right of way. The ROW is still there, and spans the city from its western limits to midtown St. Louis. All they'd have to do is lay down track and rewire it and it would be good to go.

by Anonymousreply 712/09/2012

In SF, they really don't serve any purpose. MUNI buses and trains are more efficient, though less charming.

by Anonymousreply 812/09/2012

[quote]We have streetcars now in Portland (in addition to our light rail) and they are supercool and have reduced car traffic and have made life much easier for people who cannot afford cars or who are ethically opposed to owning them.

Unless you need to get someplace in a hurry. My own feeling (as someone who used to own an extraordinarily cheap annual pass for the Portland streetcar) is that they're a big boondoggle from a transit perspective. BUT - they've been very effective in promoting development.

Dedicated bus lanes make a lot more sense, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 912/09/2012

St Petersburg in Russia, Helsinki Finland, Oslo Norway have streetcars

by Anonymousreply 1012/09/2012

We have streetcars on the Left Bank of the Hudson. The connect towns in 2 counties with major transit hubs. There are two other light rail systems in the state,

by Anonymousreply 1112/09/2012

Outside of SF... Most of the european cities have large effective tram systems. If only americans weren't so obsessed with their farting devices called cars...

by Anonymousreply 1212/09/2012

r8 in SF the "trains" to which you refer are streetcars; they run on tracks on the surface and underground. You and OP are confusing streetcars with cable cars. Cable cars are the historic ones that most people think of. Apparently new streetcar systems are referred to as light rail in some places. So SF streetcar system is a light rail (well except for the historic F line--which will take too much explaining).

by Anonymousreply 1312/09/2012

Our transportation system in Philly includes cable cars that have been restored. We also have regional rail, buses, and a subway.

by Anonymousreply 1412/09/2012

I've been on them when visiting Toronto. I like the idea but that overhead wiring is really ugly

by Anonymousreply 1512/09/2012

R4 where are the passengers going to come from for express buses in Detroit? Yuk! Woodward is the only corridor with a ghost of a chance, although you could make a case for Big Beaver Road.

by Anonymousreply 1612/09/2012

They're talking about putting some back in Los Angeles. Only in a certain area of downtown.

by Anonymousreply 1712/09/2012

Münchner Verkehrsgesellschaft

by Anonymousreply 1812/09/2012

My city is spending a ton of money to STUDY to extension of one of our ridiculous steetcars another mile. Results by 2016.

by Anonymousreply 1912/09/2012

[quote]I like the idea but that overhead wiring is really ugly

Didn't New York used to have streetcars with the wires at ground level or just under somehow?

by Anonymousreply 2012/09/2012

Curitiba, Brazil has express busses and pretty much every city on the planet is thinking of copying them.

by Anonymousreply 2112/09/2012

I live in a European city with a top-notch public transport system. I love the streetcars, except that they -- like buses -- can get stuck in traffic unless you really build a dedicated rail line parallel to the road.

But unlike buses, they don't pollute the city, and I don't find the overhead wiring that ugly.

Subways are, of course, the fastest, most reliable way to cover longer distances, but they're very expensive to build, so you really need a lot of traffic to justify them. And you don't get the view that you get from a streetcar.

by Anonymousreply 2212/09/2012

Cable cars R20, and they were superior to streetcars in holding up to the weather. Chicago had the world's largest and most profitable system before they gave them up to streetcars, which were cheaper to build but more accident and breakdown prone.

by Anonymousreply 2312/09/2012

Are you sure it's not LRT that your city's getting, OP?

Toronto never got rid of streetcars. They move a lot of people. The city is now replacing them with ultra-modern, next-gen, articulated streetcars with 4 or five sections stretching about 100 feet long.

Buses suck. Nobody like to ride a bus.

by Anonymousreply 2412/09/2012

Actually r23 they were not cable cars (though NY did have cable cars) they were electric streetcars but because overhead wires were banned in Manhattan, they ran on a system called "conduit current collection" which essentially meant that there were two metal rails of opposite polarity running under the street (about 18 inches) and the a "plow" (a kind of trolley) ran between them and connected beneath the streetcar. Much the same as a cable car but it was electric.

by Anonymousreply 2512/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 2612/09/2012

They are putting one in Tucson right now. It is in the university/central arts zone and expected to be useful for students and others visiting the shops and restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 2712/09/2012

Urban ski lifts: the next wave.

by Anonymousreply 2812/09/2012

I thought I heard Ottawa was getting a monorail

by Anonymousreply 2912/09/2012

Portland aerial tram is a tourist attraction

by Anonymousreply 3012/09/2012

But the Morgantown PRT was successful but will never be copied.

by Anonymousreply 3112/09/2012

[quote]I thought I heard Ottawa was getting a monorail

No. Just an LRT with a portion underground.

by Anonymousreply 3212/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 3312/09/2012

I want a Tomorrowland PeopleMover in my city. I've been waiting 37 years and have been more than patient.

by Anonymousreply 3412/09/2012

Atlanta is tearing up the streets putting a trolley in. It will run from Centennial Olympic Park through the Historic Sweet Auburn neighborhood, and ends at the King Center. It's strictly a tourist thing targeting black folks, because the East/West MARTA train runs right beside it.

Somebody is always trying to come up with an attraction that will lure the suburban white people to come downtown. They proposed a giant Ferris wheel in the park. The truth is, that is a dangerous area, especially after the sun sets.

by Anonymousreply 3512/09/2012

The aerial tram in Portland is just for one purpose: so people who work at the top of the hill at the Oregon Health Sciences University and hospital can park (there's not nearly enough room to park on the top of the hill--and even with the tram, there's something like a five-year waiting list to get parking for the people who work there).

That's why it's the only urban aerial tram in the US. It's really not for the general public (although they do take trips on it as a tourist attraction).

by Anonymousreply 3712/09/2012

Calgary has been spending tons of (oil) money expanding its LRT network, but you can't really compare it to street cars because it runs on on its own right of way.

by Anonymousreply 3912/09/2012

I can't believe they still wear suits and ties to work in Calgary.

by Anonymousreply 4012/10/2012

I'm still waiting for personal jet packs. Aren't they about overdue now?

by Anonymousreply 4112/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!