Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Recreational drug/alcohol use versus addiction?

What is the difference?

by Anonymousreply 1012/09/2012

Recreational users can just decide to stop.

Like deciding not to eat arugula anymore or deciding not to shop at Macy's. They can just quit the drug or alcohol use.

Addicts cannot just quit.

by Anonymousreply 112/09/2012

The second your recreational drug or alcohol use interferes with your life you are an addict if it happens again.

Some people are very high functioning addicts and go out on the weekends and go nuts but still show up for work on Monday and get the job done.

They are still addicts.

If you change when you do drugs or drink then you are an addict and particularly if have to apologize for that change of behavior.

If you decide to not do something for 30 days and you can't. Then you're an addict.

This doesn't just apply to drugs or alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 212/09/2012

I have a very stressful home situation right now and I find myself thinking about alcohol as a stress reliever. I really like 2 or 3 glasses of wine a day, but I haven't had any since September partially because I'm on a diet and also because I don't want to become dependent on it. I do look longingly at the wine specials at my local store though. The desire to self-medicate is different from actual addiction, right?

by Anonymousreply 312/09/2012

The desire to self medicate can become addiction.

If you have such desires, you probably should not drink.

by Anonymousreply 412/09/2012

If you have to ask...

by Anonymousreply 512/09/2012

What if you only drink in social situations because you get nervous? Are you an addict then??

by Anonymousreply 612/09/2012

It is all a headgame of the user.

What is the difference between mass murder and killing people only on the weekends?

by Anonymousreply 712/09/2012

"What is the difference between mass murder and killing people only on the weekends?"

Hey everyone! Look who just showed up. Einstein!

by Anonymousreply 812/09/2012

r7 - I think you're exaggerating.

by Anonymousreply 912/09/2012

You know if you're an addict.

The infatuation can morph into any form as needed.

Pot can change to alcohol can change sex can change to work can change to work-outs can change to shopping can change to house renovations can change back to pot which can then change back to work outs.

It's willfully blind behavior that allows you to stop thinking and feeling difficult emotions that normal people experience because they are fully functioning adults.

The funny thing is that you will catch rewards for your behavior if you're a workaholic or a house renovation addict. Rewards just make you quit those behaviors and take up ones that don't go noticed.

by Anonymousreply 1012/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.