Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Boston's smaller private colleges...worth the dough?

Boston has some very large prestigious colleges like Harvard, MIT, Tufts, Brandeis, Boston College, Boston University and Northeastern.

It also has a bunch of smaller colleges that might not be so well-known nationally: Emerson, Suffolk, Simmons, Wheelock, Emmanuel, Curry, Babson, Bentley, Pine Manor, Mount Ida, Lesley, Wentworth, Franklin, Berklee College of Music, and others. (I'm including a handful of inner-suburbia colleges in this list.

Are they worth the high price tag? Is the quality good? I think it would be because of the location and proximity to the brain center of New England.

by Anonymousreply 5212/11/2012

I think they are comparable

by Anonymousreply 112/09/2012

Isn't Simmons a secretarial school?

by Anonymousreply 212/09/2012

R1 is retarded. The answers to your questions are "no" and "no." I doubt people outside of New England have heard of many (or even most) of them. I'd recommend Berklee only if you're trying to pursue a career as a professional musician (and only if you have actual *talent* in a niche performance field). Proximity to New England doesn't "make" any college good on its own, and furthermore, some of the best small liberal arts colleges are nowhere near the Northeast (e.g. Trinity University in San Antonio, which is consistently top-ranked among small colleges).

by Anonymousreply 312/09/2012

Guss where r3 went to college.

by Anonymousreply 412/09/2012

oops I meant Boston schools are comparable in price to other urban/suburban schools.

by Anonymousreply 512/09/2012

Texas r3!!!!! Really!!!! oh my!!!!

by Anonymousreply 612/09/2012

Northeastern is not a prestigious school. Who told you that, girl?

by Anonymousreply 712/09/2012

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 812/09/2012

Assholes at R3 and R5, I did *not* go to Trinity, nor do I have any connection to it. If you don't believe my word, take it from U.S. News & World Report, where it's the top-ranked regional university in the entire Western U.S.

by Anonymousreply 912/09/2012

Northeastern isn't hard to get into but it's huge and is a major university.

by Anonymousreply 1012/09/2012

but are the ass hat pompous Texan professor from the other thread.....kill yourself!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1112/09/2012

R11, why are you trolldar-ing me, and why do you assume I'm in or from Texas merely because I pointed out that quality colleges exist outside of New England?

by Anonymousreply 1212/09/2012

Because you sound so smug and pompous and I hate you.....!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1312/09/2012

Emerson is pretty well known for performance arts, music, writing, etc. Plenty of the schools cater to wealthy students who could not get into a prestigious school.

by Anonymousreply 1412/09/2012

I'm from Texas, and I can say that while Trinity is respectable, it's not an academic powerhouse. The best school in Texas is indubitably Rice, with UT-Austin a distant second.

by Anonymousreply 1512/09/2012

There are only two schools that matter: the one in Cambridge and that technical school if you got over 750 on your math SAT.

by Anonymousreply 1612/09/2012

I love the Texas cunt, called out via TrollDar.

Well done!

by Anonymousreply 1712/09/2012

Simmons, Pine Manor, and Mount Ida used to be two-year schools for debutante types who weren't quite bright enough for Smith or Wellesley.

by Anonymousreply 1812/09/2012

My dear, any school where they don't have scanners at the front door is worth considering...

Also it should have a swimming pool - if anyone has (or had) affection for their school, that seems to be the hallmark...strangely

by Anonymousreply 1912/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 2012/09/2012

A few of the small schools you listed are tops on their field, like Berklee for music or Babson for business. I would not label BU or Northeastern prestigious.

by Anonymousreply 2112/09/2012

Northeastern, BU and BC are very hard to get in now. Much harder than they were 20 years ago. Everyone wants to go to college in Boston and the colleges want kids from a variety of locations. It's easier for a kid from Boston to go to Notre Dame or Northwestern than Northeastern or BC.

by Anonymousreply 2212/09/2012

Trinity in Texas is Number 1 in the west region, not the US.

by Anonymousreply 2312/09/2012

Since when is Boston College "prestigious?" That's where people go to when they want to say they went to school in Boston, without revealing they didn't go to Harvard or MIT.

by Anonymousreply 2412/09/2012

LOL @R8.

Oh, really, now? You don't say. That's HILARIOUS.

by Anonymousreply 2512/09/2012

Abbie Hoffman went to Brandeis.

by Anonymousreply 2612/09/2012

Partner went to Babson for business. Very good business school and grad school for MBAS--but not where you'd go for, say, English lit. Not the typical small liberal arts college. I think Simmons just went co-ed. Suffolk is supposedly the most pricy school in the country. Not sure why? Their president is very highly paid, IIRC, and it caused some kind of a scandal. BC has an excellent law school. What the hell is Franklin?

by Anonymousreply 2712/09/2012

"What the hell is Franklin?"

A Peanut and a "Who" for future reference, sir.

by Anonymousreply 2812/09/2012

I notice Brandeis is missing from your list, OP.

One of the most prestigious schools in the country.

by Anonymousreply 2912/09/2012

Pine Manor was called 'Pine Mattress' by Harvard men because of its supply of easily fuckable women.

I knew this by reputation not by experience, of course.

by Anonymousreply 3012/09/2012

[quote]Pine Manor was called 'Pine Mattress' by Harvard men because of its supply of easily fuckable women.

Likewise, "Simmons Mattress."

by Anonymousreply 3112/09/2012

Psy dropped out of Boston U because it was too academically rigorous and went to the Berklee College of Music. You've gotta admit, it was a good choice for him.

by Anonymousreply 3212/09/2012

BU used to be a super party school.

by Anonymousreply 3312/09/2012

Bentley is mainly for students for Learning Disabilities.

by Anonymousreply 3412/09/2012

Joan Kennedy got her master's at Lesley.

by Anonymousreply 3512/09/2012

Yes, R35, but did she pass the bar?

Does she ever pass a bar?

by Anonymousreply 3612/09/2012

R[34] Curry is actually the LD school. Bentley is known - along with Babson and Bryant - as one of New England's 3 undergrad business colleges.

by Anonymousreply 3712/09/2012

For the record, a lot of the slut reputations garnered by schools around Harvard were bestowed due to the fact that women weren't really admitted to Harvard until the 70s. Of course they had to travel for pussy.

by Anonymousreply 3812/09/2012

Didn't Trinity used to be one of those crazy "great books" curricula places?

by Anonymousreply 3912/09/2012

[quote]Didn't Trinity used to be one of those crazy "great books" curricula places?

That sounds more like St. John's College in Annapolis.

by Anonymousreply 4012/09/2012

wow, Northeastern is hard to get in now? it's a shitty school, don't go! BU isn't that great either but i would choose BU over Northeastern.

by Anonymousreply 4112/09/2012

Check out Merrimack College in North Andover. It's a great small school. I went to now defunct Bradford College in Haverhill.

by Anonymousreply 4212/09/2012

Babson (34 percent accepted) is tougher than Bentley (43 percent acceptance).... Both of which are way tougher than Bryant (77 percent accepted).

I think Curry and Endicott are for LD learners. WTF is Mount Ida?

by Anonymousreply 4312/09/2012

I know some Lesley grads who loved the school.

Small, lots of personalized attention, and a strong alumni network that is tremendously helpful in finding jobs for grads.

by Anonymousreply 4412/09/2012

What about Roger Williams?

by Anonymousreply 4512/09/2012

"The brain center of New England," OP??

Anyone who chooses to live in that weather HAS no brain, much less a "brain center."

by Anonymousreply 4612/09/2012

How's Florida working out for you, R46?

by Anonymousreply 4712/10/2012

Boston? Harumph!

Amherst, Smith, Mt. Holyoke, Williams

by Anonymousreply 4812/10/2012

OP is all uppity because Trinity's got itself one of those Rodins.

by Anonymousreply 4912/11/2012

There's a lot more to prestige than how hard it is to get in.

by Anonymousreply 5012/11/2012

Bay State is the private bridge and tunnel junior college in the heart of backbay.

by Anonymousreply 5112/11/2012

There are excellent small private schools all over the country, but not that many of them are "excellent." They are small, expensive, and offer some great courses. But there are far less expensive public universities outside the NE that offer overall equal or often much better degrees in a broader spectrum of courses. Indiana, Virginia, Georgia, Cal Berkeley, Texas, are all examples. There are dozens more.

Much depends on where one wants to live or work and if graduate school is on the horizon. My thought is that spending $40K a year on an undergraduate degree is a waste of time unless it's a premiere institution. Otherwise, save your big bucks for grad school.

by Anonymousreply 5212/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!