Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Naomi Watts in The Impossible

Why isn't she getting more Oscar Buzz! Why! She's earned it after Mulholland and King Kong!!! Those newbies Chastain and Lawrence are too fresh for Best Actress...they need to ripen

by Anonymousreply 6502/13/2013

It's because The Impossible hasn't started screening yet. It's a big mistake that other films have made before. Get the buzz going from industry screenings by Dec 1, or it's going to be three times as hard.

by Anonymousreply 112/08/2012

Wasn't there a Clint Eastwood movie about the same topic withmMatt Damon?

by Anonymousreply 212/08/2012

Even more upsetting is the fact that a 6 year old child is being taken seriously as a potential Best Actress nominee. Ahead of Naomi Watts, Rachel Weisz, Helen Mirren, Michelle Williams and many others. That's just repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 312/08/2012

We've been waiting for Naomi to happen for decades now. She's 44. She's worked steadily but never, ever connected with audiences in any significant way. She's pretty. She's not a terrible actress. But she will never be a star.

by Anonymousreply 412/08/2012

That "6 year old child" gave one of the best performances of the year.

by Anonymousreply 512/08/2012

She's playing Princess Diana and Marilyn Monroe in different movies. Seems kind of desperate.

by Anonymousreply 612/08/2012

a 6 year old can't give a performance....they just do what you tell them to

by Anonymousreply 812/09/2012

Watts did well in Mullholand Dr. That`s about it

by Anonymousreply 912/09/2012

[quote]a 6 year old can't give a performance....they just do what you tell them to

Some of them just won't listen.

by Anonymousreply 1012/09/2012

I thought it was a boy that gives the best performance

by Anonymousreply 1212/09/2012

She was good in Mulholland and The Painted Veil.

by Anonymousreply 1312/09/2012

She was also fantastic in 21 Grams.

Naomi is a superb actress, and gorgeous to boot. I saw her out with Liev Schreiber at Shakespeare in the Park this past summer and she was stunning. (They look like a comedy routine together because she's so tiny and he's so tall (6'3") and strapping.)

by Anonymousreply 1412/09/2012

She's the worst actress on the planet. It should be illegal for her to be cast in anything. Always forced, stiff and phony. And those rabbit teeth. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 1512/09/2012

You'd think she would have enough self-esteem to send her boyfriend's cheating add out to the curb.

by Anonymousreply 1612/09/2012

That should read "cheating ass" of course!

by Anonymousreply 1712/09/2012

The Ring was possibly the best horror movie of the late 90s, certainly in the top 5. The sequel, which Naomi also starred in, was mediocre but not terrible.

by Anonymousreply 1812/09/2012

Correction, The Ring was 2002. Ok so it was one of the best of the early 00s.

by Anonymousreply 1912/09/2012

Mulholland Drive, The Painted Veil, 21 Grams, Fair Game, You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger (one of the best performances in a Woody Allen film ever, and that's saying something).

She's a very good actress.

And of course she's a star. That's why we're discussing her.

The problem is for likely oscar contention a movie almost has to be screened in a two week period,not earlier, not later.

which is crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2012/09/2012

If you think that 6 year old child gave one of the best performances of the year, there's something seriously wrong with you. She was playing herself -- the writer/director admitted that he re-wrote the script to make it fit her personality after seeing her audition. How, exactly, is that acting? It's not. It's playing in front of a camera.

by Anonymousreply 2112/09/2012

I saw a screening of 'The Impossible.'

I don't know... it's a disaster movie. She's mostly looking terrified or in pain. Amazing special effects for the tsunami. But really can't imagine it for Best Actress.

by Anonymousreply 2212/09/2012

Victoire Thivisol was five years old when she won the Volpi Cup for best actress at the Venice film festival for Ponette, a performance that ranks higher than a pretty large number of recent oscar winners, and much better than iconic performances by Naomi Watts like Le Divorce, King Kong, Ned Kelly and of course, Tank Girl.

by Anonymousreply 2412/09/2012

r23, yes there is something wrong with all of them for placing that amatuerish performance so high. Hell, even Lindsay Lohan gave a better, more nuanced performance as Elizabeth Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 2512/09/2012

She's not getting more oscar buzz because the film is a latecomer (even though it's only 12/10, which is ridiculous) and though many insist otherwise, the field is actually not that small with Chastain, Lawrence, and Riva all but guaranteed nods and with several others potential nominees.

by Anonymousreply 2612/10/2012

I like Watts and thought she was quite good in KING KONG but her performance got lost in the hype.

And it sounds like she's going to have the same problem with this new film that happened with THE PAINTED VEIL. She was great in that but it came out too late in the year and there was no time to push it for awards. Edward Norton was sexy in that too. Earlier Oscars mean more shut-outs.

by Anonymousreply 2712/10/2012

Let's face it, it's being released by Summit - and the only films they can promote are those shitastic "Twilight" movies.

by Anonymousreply 2812/10/2012

Summit released The Hurt Locker and that won BP.

by Anonymousreply 2912/10/2012

Wallis was playing herself?

first of all, this "she was playing herself" meme is ridiculous. It is not easy for an actor to play him or herself. The best actors know how to use themselves. Some of the greatest screen performers of all time continually played a version of themself.

Wallis, if she is playing a form of herself, certainly has never experienced the situations or committed to the actions she does in Beasts. If she does so creditably - as almost everyone agrees - it is an achievement for an actor of any age, all the moreso for a small child, not less so.

by Anonymousreply 3012/10/2012

Has anybody seen this movie?

by Anonymousreply 3112/27/2012

Becuase she played the exact same spunky, woman-in-jeopardy role in King Kong and she was annoying in that and non Oscar-nominated.

by Anonymousreply 3212/27/2012

Watts is an Oscar contender!

by Anonymousreply 3312/27/2012

Watts is most likely going to get nominated. She's with Marion Cotillard in the space behind Lawrence and Chastain, but in front of Wallis and Riva.

by Anonymousreply 3412/27/2012

[quote]Has anybody seen this movie?

I just got home from it and looked for a thread. It was terrific- exciting, gripping, sad, thrilling and heart-warming. It will get some Oscars definitely for technical achievement. Maybe score.

She was good but the kid who lay her oldest son, Tom Holland, is great.

by Anonymousreply 3501/06/2013

Watts is not a great actress in anything I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 3601/06/2013

The mixed opinions on Watts are fascinating. I just saw The Impossible and thought she was very good but perhaps should have been nominated as supporting actress, since she was out of the picture for quite a bit. The oldest son was excellent. I wish they had a 'junior' oscar category for children. I'm sure there would be at least five worthy performances each year.

by Anonymousreply 3701/16/2013

She spends almost half the film lying in bed with an oxygen mask over her face. Great acting that is not.

by Anonymousreply 3801/16/2013

r38, and she was expressing immense emotion at the same time. Great acting that certainly is.

by Anonymousreply 3901/16/2013

There's some controversy surrounding this film because the real-life family that it's based on is actually Spanish and not British and the film focuses on the plight of a white family to survive the Tsunami when over 200,000 Asians were killed in the disaster.

by Anonymousreply 4001/16/2013

r40, it's worth noting that The Impossible is actually a Spanish production -- Spanish director, cinematographer, editor, etc., etc. They made a conscious decision to cast Northern European-ethnic actors because: a) they wanted stars that could sell the film in the United States and b) I suspect that they're making a commentary about the haves and have-nots, and, true or not, people tend to perceive white folks as the haves and darker-skinned people as the have-nots. The movie is already critical of itself in this regard.

by Anonymousreply 4101/16/2013

Thanks for that info #41. I didn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 4201/16/2013

She's earned it after King Kong??? WTF???

by Anonymousreply 4301/16/2013

She earned it with Mulholland Dr. King Kong was a largely negligible film, but Watts was excellent, really the best thing aside from the f/x.

by Anonymousreply 4401/16/2013

[quote]She's earned it after King Kong??? WTF???

At the time the critical response was that Watts was the saving grace of a majorly disappointing film. She was credited with giving a genuinely moving performance and having more chemistry with the mechanical ape than she did with the distracted looking Adrian Brody.

She was asked to present on the telecast that year along with other people who'd been overlooked for the award.

read up on it r43.

by Anonymousreply 4501/16/2013

Ripen? How nasty.

Riva should win. Period. These others are parvenu.

by Anonymousreply 4601/17/2013

I thought she was great in 21 Grams.

by Anonymousreply 4701/17/2013

"Is Best Actress Really a Weak Field?"

by Anonymousreply 4801/17/2013

She spends most of the film immobile under a gas mask and 10 lbs of makeup that cause her to resemble a wedge of cheese that has been left to mould for a good 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 4901/17/2013

Any gossip about her and Liev Schriebner? He cheats on her constantly?

by Anonymousreply 5001/17/2013

Just got back from seeing this. Ewan McGregor has aged nicely. I think he's much better-looking now that his face has filled out a bit.

On a less shallow note: I enjoyed the movie for the most part, although I thought the music was somewhat overbearing in parts. The sound was incredible, and the young actor (Tom Holland) who plays the eldest son was outstanding. But the best part was the re-creation of the tsunami and its aftereffects. As someone mentioned upthread, this is a Spanish production, and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the effects, the overall production design, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5102/01/2013

Watts is great in The Impossible but I was really disappointed that Marion Cotillard wasn't nominated as she gave the best female performance of the year.

I like Jennifer Lawrence but Silver Linings Playbook is overrated and Lawrence was better in Winters Bone.

by Anonymousreply 5202/01/2013

R52 I agree. Her performance in Rust and Bone was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 5302/01/2013

Was there CGI on Geraldine's face or are those her own wrinkles?

by Anonymousreply 5402/10/2013

[quote] Why isn't she getting more Oscar Buzz! Why! She's earned it after Mulholland and King Kong!!! Those newbies Chastain and Lawrence are too fresh for Best Actress...they need to ripen

well, Naomi isn't playing the game. Lawrence and Chastain are everywhere. They constantly give interviews and go to lots of events. Naomi is a very private person. Liev would leave her if she pandered to the press

by Anonymousreply 5502/10/2013

"Liev would leave her if she pandered to the press"

Wow. Douchedickbag.

by Anonymousreply 5602/10/2013

Tom Holland's performance was the only reason to see "The Impossible".

by Anonymousreply 5702/11/2013

[quote]well, Naomi isn't playing the game. Lawrence and Chastain are everywhere. They constantly give interviews and go to lots of events. Naomi is a very private person. Liev would leave her if she pandered to the press

Her pictures have constantly been on JustJared. Both 'candids' with her, Liev and her kids and tons of her at different Hollywood events. She's not sitting home.

But her film received no buzz and hasn't been much of a moneymaker in the US.

by Anonymousreply 5802/11/2013

For some reason, The Impossible played at a lot of art circuit theaters. What, they couldn't take the subtlety at the multiplex?

by Anonymousreply 5902/11/2013

[quote]She spends almost half the film lying in bed with an oxygen mask over her face. Great acting that is not.

Riva spends most of her movie as a vegetable and everyone's praising her to high heaven. Even won the BAFTA over the weekend, in fact. Trintignant owned the movie and actually had something to do. But for some reason, men are judged tougher. A woman can give a mediocre performance and still get nominated, while a man really has to impress. Also, it's harder for young actors to be nominated.

In the past 10 years only Heath Ledger (26), Ryan Gosling (26), and Jesse Eisenberg (27) were nominated for Best Actor. As for Best Actress, since 2003 you have Quvenzhané Wallis (9), Jennifer Lawrence (twice, at 20 and 22), Natalie Portman (29), Gabourey Sidibe (26), Carey Mulligan (24), Anne Hathaway (26), Ellen Page (20), Keira Knightley (20), Reese Witherspoon (29), Kate Winslet (29), Catalina Sandino Moreno (23), Keisha Castle-Hughes (13), Charlize Theron (28), and Samantha Morton (26).

by Anonymousreply 6002/11/2013

[quote]They made a conscious decision to cast Northern European-ethnic actors because: a) they wanted stars that could sell the film in the United States

That did a world of good. It's only grossed $16 million in the US, while its foreign gross is $138 million.

by Anonymousreply 6102/11/2013

Can some tell me what was so good about Riva? She spent most of the film in a vegetative state. Really not that much different from Naomi Watts' performance. It was Riva's co-star Trintignant who carried the film, just like Tom HOlland carried his. If Holland had been female, he'd probably have gotten a nomination, no question, but it's almost near impossible for a young actor to get nominated. Male actors are held at a different standard. A woman/girl can give a mediocre performance and get nominated, while an actor really has to impress.

For instance, in the past 10 years only Heath Ledger (26), Ryan Gosling (26), and Jesse Eisenberg (27) were the only twentysomethings nominated for Best Actor. As for Best Actress, since 2003 you have Quvenzhané Wallis (9), Jennifer Lawrence (twice, at 20 and 22), Natalie Portman (29), Gabourey Sidibe (26), Carey Mulligan (24), Anne Hathaway (26), Ellen Page (20), Keira Knightley (20), Reese Witherspoon (29), Kate Winslet (29), Catalina Sandino Moreno (23), Keisha Castle-Hughes (13), Charlize Theron (28), and Samantha Morton (26). That's 12 twentysomething actors, one teen, and a tween (15 if you count Lawrence's second nomination.)

by Anonymousreply 6202/13/2013

Wallis is okay. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 6302/13/2013

I just realized I posted the same thing twice in this thread. :-/

by Anonymousreply 6402/13/2013

r60 is correct. Tritignant MADE "Amour" the great film it is and is far more deserving of an Oscar nomination than Riva.

by Anonymousreply 6502/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.