Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fox News Op-Ed Says Women’s Nature Is To Be Dominated By Men

That's a woman?

--

Fox News has published another sexist op-ed by Suzanne Venker, the author who became infamous for attacking a fictional “War on Men.” In the follow up piece, Venker argues that women are naturally men’s inferiors.

The author believes the crudest of crude gender stereotypes are built into male and female brains, arguing that women “like to gather and nest and take care of people” while men “are hunters: they like to build things and kill things.” As a consequence, she maintains a man’s place is in the office; “his” woman should simply “surrender” to his rule:

[W]omen shouldn’t let their success in the workplace become the biggest thing in their lives. If the ultimate goal is lasting love – and let’s face it: for most people it is – women are going to have to become comfortable with sacrifice and capitulation. …

Surrendering to your femininity means many things. It means letting your man be the man despite the fact that you’ve proven you’re his equal. It means recognizing the fact that you may very well want to stay home with your babies – and that that’s normal. Surrendering to your femininity means if you do work outside the home, you don’t use your work to play tit for tat in your marriage. It means tapping into that part of yourself that’s genuinely vulnerable and really does need a man – even though the culture says you don’t.

In other words, put down your sword. It’s okay if your guy’s in charge. It’s okay if you don’t drive the car. In fact, it’s rather liberating. These views are not supported by modern neuroscience, which finds that brain differences between men and women are hard to pinpoint and often a result of social pressures rather than biology. Moreover, the reason that many women are unhappy with their worklives is more about institutionalized sexism than some innate need to be cared for by a strong man.

Venker’s justification for unequal gender roles, “men and women are different,” literally harkens back a hundred years: one of the main arguments advanced against women’s suffrage was that it “wasn’t natural” for women to participate in public life outside of the home. And though Venker says with no sense of irony that she believes women are “equal, but different,” views like hers are strongly associated with excusing domestic violence and gender discrimination.

Fox News has a storied history of using its megaphone to broadcast sexism. Host Brian Kilmeade has said on-air that “Women are everywhere. We’re letting them play golf and tennis now. It’s out of control” and that the network hires female anchors by going “into the Victoria’s Secret catalogue and [saying], ‘Can any of these people talk?’”

by Anonymousreply 4312/09/2012

Phyllis Schlafly's niece.

by Anonymousreply 112/08/2012

I don't even know where to start with this drivel.

by Anonymousreply 312/08/2012

I'd like to know what this is doing on a gay site.

by Anonymousreply 512/08/2012

It's time we stop labeling all of the "isms" separately and start recognizing that they are all an issue of human rights and the inalienable right that every single person on this planet has to them. Period.

by Anonymousreply 1012/08/2012

[quote]Despite what the PC police say, there is some truth to this. Men's and women's brains are hardwired differently

There is no truth. Even to the small extent that men's and women's brains ARE wired differently, it does not logically follow that women's wiring makes them most comfortable letting men dominate them.

by Anonymousreply 1112/08/2012

What about women who dominate men? What about men who like to surrender or submit to women? Is something wrong with their brains?

by Anonymousreply 1412/08/2012

that stupid aqgenda-driven cunt latinagirl *giggle* is all over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1512/08/2012

Sorry, but why doesn't anyone recognize this Suzanne Venker (or whatever) as the biggest bull-dykiest thing the Republican party has ever produced and placed on Fox?

These twats should really screen out butch women with "pixies" and linebacker shoulders. Seriously. Please.

by Anonymousreply 1912/09/2012

I hope that the Republicans/conservatives keep on saying all this stuff out loud. Keep digging your hole, neocons...

by Anonymousreply 2112/09/2012

[quote]Fox News Op-Ed Says Women’s Nature Is To Be Dominated By Men

Have they ever seen Michelle and Ladybird Bachmann?

by Anonymousreply 2212/09/2012

[quote]with the rights and equality of women

Women have all legal rights and full equality. Gays do not. Fact.

There are many parallels in the struggles, but they disconnect at that point. All this whining about how hard women have it and what victims they are and how gays should fall prostrate at their feet is such BS. Talk to me about women's "struggles" once gays have full legal equality, not a moment before then. It's women who should be bending over backwards to help gays at this point, not the other way around, obviously. Thanks.

And this "article" is clearly designed to raise the hackles of PC reactionaries in a kneejerk way. Don't fall for it. Here's a hint for you: Don't watch Fox. You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 2312/09/2012

Taylor Swift and Katy Perry AGREE!

by Anonymousreply 2412/09/2012

And when hubby dumps the dumpy housewife who has no education or career for a younger model? I don't know why anyone would watch Faux News. Are people that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 2512/09/2012

Mostly nonsense, although I do think there is a maternal instinct hard-wired in women.

If child rearing were up to straight males, the survival rate for babies would be in the single digits.

by Anonymousreply 2612/09/2012

There are a lot more parallels in terms of social equality than legal equality. Women never had to fight for the right to marry, and gay men never had to fight for the right to vote or to be considered independent people in their own right.

by Anonymousreply 2712/09/2012

Intelligent or powerful women are not popular today. What Showbiz does is show power women as image obsessed, vengeful and frivolous.

Women who are cast as "Doctors" talk about hair dye and emotions, not medical science.

by Anonymousreply 2812/09/2012

Radical islam is a force because the average Islamic man is downtrodden and poor and has no hope of a better future. A man may be poor and hopeless, but if he subscribes to Radical Islam he becomes a God in his own home, with the power of life and death over the women under his control.

Looks like the American right wing is going to try the same thing.

And again, anyone who will do this to women will do the same things to gay men. Our struggles may not be identical, but we have the same enemies.

by Anonymousreply 2912/09/2012

I'm guessing the new TV show "Wives with Knives" doesn't air on the Fox channel.

by Anonymousreply 3112/09/2012

"Mostly nonsense, although I do think there is a maternal instinct hard-wired in women."

Not really. Many women, with children or without, don't really have a maternal instinct. They're is a relentless onslaught of motherhood propaganda from the moment a girl is born to be a mother. Women who say out loud that they regret having had children are vilified and crucified beyond belief.

Isn't it telling that all these things women supposedly are "hard-wired" for are detrimental to their psychological, emotional and financial well-being?

by Anonymousreply 3212/09/2012

[quote] I'm guessing the new TV show "Wives with Knives" doesn't air on the Fox channel.

No, it's on the Discovery ID channel.

by Anonymousreply 3312/09/2012

[quote] Honey, to be honest, I can barely rouse myself to give a fuck about gay men's issues any more,

That doesn't stop you from going on and on about it

asshole

by Anonymousreply 3412/09/2012

[quote][W]omen shouldn’t let their success in the workplace become the biggest thing in their lives. [bold]If the ultimate goal is lasting love – and let’s face it: for most people it is – women are going to have to become comfortable with sacrifice and capitulation. …[/bold]

[C]onservatives shouldn’t let their success in the sabotaging of liberals become the biggest thing in their lives. If the ultimate goal is a lasting Union – and let’s face it: for most people it is – Conservatives are going to have to become comfortable with sacrifice and capitulation. …

There, Bitch -- fixed it for you. You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 3512/09/2012

Some gay men STILL don't get the fact that misogyny and homophobia are TWINS and stem from exactly the same place!

by Anonymousreply 3612/09/2012

True, R3, they think they can demand Male Privilege, but without understanding its true nature.

Yes, homophobia and misogyny are facets of the same thing, the contempt for the feminine found in all patriarchal cultures. And it doesn't matter how masculine you actually are, guys, if you like dick then the patriarchy dismisses you as feminine and inferior.

by Anonymousreply 3712/09/2012

Suzanne Venker? never heard of her. I don't know any of the dumb cunts that work on faux news

by Anonymousreply 3812/09/2012

r20 is correct r18.

You should do yourself a favour and look up intersectionality.

by Anonymousreply 3912/09/2012

I guess she put her head up her ass and found a time machine. Where do we queers fit into the picture, anyhow?

by Anonymousreply 4012/09/2012

She might as well convert to Islam and move to Saudi Arabia if she thinks like this. I'm sure she would find many likeminded people there.

by Anonymousreply 4112/09/2012

Christ -- you guys are just as stupid and obnoxious as straight men.

Then again, I knew that already.

by Anonymousreply 4212/09/2012

any real scientist with a strong background in animal behavior and ecology would tell you that the majority of animals live in sexual segregation for most of the year until breeding season,after the breeder season is over they separate again,only 7% of the animals species are monogamous and those are the very species whose sexual dimorphism is so low that you can't distinguish one female and a male from each other. Paternity is only common in some species specially birds and some mammals but the truth is that the majority of the care is done by the female without the help of any male. the interesting thing about women like the one who wrote the article is that they actually have the cynicism of basically implying that women are entitled to the option of either staying home or going out to work and make money, after all they can have men who can't afford to do that themselves and have to work like a slave to please their wives's whims.

by Anonymousreply 4312/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!