Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hepatitis B

My sister's husband is 60 and he says he contracted Hep B when he had tonsil surgery as a child. Is this possible? And can someone live with Hep B for 50+ years?

by Anonymousreply 712/09/2012

Not a doctor, but I had hepatitis, which is merely inflammation of the liver for whatever reason. In my case, it was due to a toxic reaction from a prescription medicine. The body metabolizes medication through the liver.

There are MANY different kinds of hepatitis. From my understaning Hep A and Hep B are minor when compared to Hep C and Autoimmune Hepatitus.

by Anonymousreply 112/08/2012

There is vaccine for hep B. In the usual case the body builds the antibodies and you completely recover. A few cases the disease does not resolve and you will have issues. Hep A is most often passed the same way food poisoning by feces contaminated food. Hep A usually resolves quickly. The OP is correct that you can get a reaction to drug or chemicals. Hep C is another matter all together. Can be difficult to tread, can kill you and some of the treatments are lethal. Both B and C are largely blood born

by Anonymousreply 212/08/2012

Isn't Hep B transmitted sexually for the most part?

by Anonymousreply 312/08/2012

Is it transmitted mostly sexually. He porobably went gloryhole hunting and this is his cover story, that closet queen!

by Anonymousreply 412/08/2012

Yeah, I'm thinking he probably contracted the Hep B as an adult, maybe through gay sex. Otherwise, that would mean he's managed this virus for over 50 years. Is that even possible?

by Anonymousreply 512/09/2012

[R3] Much like AIDS, blood born includes sexual activity. Includes needle users. Many medical workers contract Hep B, especially in the old days, especially lab workers.

by Anonymousreply 612/09/2012

R5, as R1 & R2 point out, the answer to your question is: yes. More info at the link.

by Anonymousreply 712/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!