Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hepatitis B

My sister's husband is 60 and he says he contracted Hep B when he had tonsil surgery as a child. Is this possible? And can someone live with Hep B for 50+ years?

by Anonymousreply 712/09/2012

Not a doctor, but I had hepatitis, which is merely inflammation of the liver for whatever reason. In my case, it was due to a toxic reaction from a prescription medicine. The body metabolizes medication through the liver.

There are MANY different kinds of hepatitis. From my understaning Hep A and Hep B are minor when compared to Hep C and Autoimmune Hepatitus.

by Anonymousreply 112/08/2012

There is vaccine for hep B. In the usual case the body builds the antibodies and you completely recover. A few cases the disease does not resolve and you will have issues. Hep A is most often passed the same way food poisoning by feces contaminated food. Hep A usually resolves quickly. The OP is correct that you can get a reaction to drug or chemicals. Hep C is another matter all together. Can be difficult to tread, can kill you and some of the treatments are lethal. Both B and C are largely blood born

by Anonymousreply 212/08/2012

Isn't Hep B transmitted sexually for the most part?

by Anonymousreply 312/08/2012

Is it transmitted mostly sexually. He porobably went gloryhole hunting and this is his cover story, that closet queen!

by Anonymousreply 412/08/2012

Yeah, I'm thinking he probably contracted the Hep B as an adult, maybe through gay sex. Otherwise, that would mean he's managed this virus for over 50 years. Is that even possible?

by Anonymousreply 512/09/2012

[R3] Much like AIDS, blood born includes sexual activity. Includes needle users. Many medical workers contract Hep B, especially in the old days, especially lab workers.

by Anonymousreply 612/09/2012

R5, as R1 & R2 point out, the answer to your question is: yes. More info at the link.

by Anonymousreply 712/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.