Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

On the Road

Saw it last night at the Lucas Ranch. I thought they did a great job adapting it to the screen. Everyone is in it. But not to the point that it becomes distracting.

Q&A afterward with the directory (lovely guy) and two of the actors: Kristen Steward (a bit dim, or maybe just nervous) and hunky Garrett Hedlund.

Lot's of nudity, and more gay stuff than I remember being in the book. But Salles said he relied on a first draft of the book more than the published version.

by Anonymousreply 3212/26/2013

What's the Lucas Ranch?

by Anonymousreply 212/08/2012

Lucas Ranch

George Lucas' Marin Ranch? Or the place near Chrissie Field?

by Anonymousreply 312/08/2012

How was the scene where Garrett Hedlund fucked Steve Buscemi in the ass?

by Anonymousreply 412/08/2012

Lucas Ranch in Nicasia.

I was surprised by the Steve Buscemi scene. I don't remember that being in the book. But there was also stuff between Dean and Sal, and Dean and Carlo., on full frontal of Dean (Garrett Hedlund).

by Anonymousreply 712/08/2012

[quote]Really, there is gay subtext in the book? I haven't read it, that's why i ask.

There isn't any, but I think the screenwriter did a bit of editorializing with bits and pieces of the real lives of Kerouac and his crew.

by Anonymousreply 812/08/2012

They worked from the original manuscript rather than the book, which apparently was edited down and cleaned up before being published (judging from the Q&A after the screening).

by Anonymousreply 912/08/2012

It's *Nicasio*.

by Anonymousreply 1012/08/2012

Kerouac wrote it on a 3 week meth binge.

One of the most overrated, narcissistic books ever.

by Anonymousreply 1112/08/2012

R11, a friend of mine finds it also very overrated. So, you are not the only one and people who read it should not trust only the critics but their own opinion and taste as well.

by Anonymousreply 1212/08/2012

That's not full frontal nudity--that's typing.

by Anonymousreply 1312/08/2012

[quote] Do you know if Jack Kerouac had sex with a man?

Yes. Old news

by Anonymousreply 1412/08/2012

Do some research r15. It's been well known for decades.

by Anonymousreply 1612/08/2012

R16 Fine!

by Anonymousreply 1712/08/2012

Bella Swan's doing the two pole pull while topless.I hope someone's there to catch that nice Mormon lady when she gets the news.

by Anonymousreply 1812/08/2012

[quote]One of the most overrated, narcissistic books ever.

Agreed. I love books, I love literature, but for the life of me I've never been able to understand why this novel is considered such a big fucking deal.

by Anonymousreply 1912/09/2012

I also was a little disappointed in the book. I thought it rambled. But I've only read it recently. Probably when it was first written it seemed a lot more daring and groundbreaking.

But I do think Dean is an iconic character: The failed genius.

Also, a lot of the writing has that Beat Generation free verse style going for it.

by Anonymousreply 2012/09/2012

So, does Garrett Hedlund do full frontal or not?

by Anonymousreply 2112/09/2012

R21, yes. Just once at the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 2212/09/2012

On the road was huge, because it showed a different side of America after World War II. It was the beginning of the counter culture and no one else was writing about it outside this very small group of people. Kerouac later became very conservative, eschewing the counterculture of the 60's.

by Anonymousreply 2312/09/2012

R18 : What is a two pole pull?

by Anonymousreply 2412/09/2012

She gives two men a handjob at the same time, R24.

This movie has been a critical and commercial flop since it premiered at Cannes 7 months ago.

by Anonymousreply 2512/09/2012

I went through a brief Kerouac phase but abandoned all things beat as juvenile before I was out of college. I think older people like Johnny Depp who cherish those glorified typing tests into their 40s suffer from arrested development.

by Anonymousreply 2612/09/2012

Shots of Garrett naked.

by Anonymousreply 2712/09/2012

I liked Carolyn Cassady's book better than anything I've read by the male beats. The beat romanticizing of all things Eastern is shallow and one understands why the women's movement of the 70s happened. Overall I find most of the hip lit from the 50s and 60s doesn't hold up that well today. I think the reason we still hear their names is because some of them like Kerouac were photogenic, and it's fun to read the behind-the-scenes dirt about them and their buds at Naropa. Much more fun than reading their actual work.

Naropa related: Stephen Butterfield's The Double Mirror: A Skeptical Journey into Buddhist Tantra is a fascinating look into the cult around Chogyam Trungpa.

by Anonymousreply 2812/09/2012

This movie was such a bore. And Garrett Hedlund has all of the charisma of dry paint. Sam Riley looked lost and Kristen Stewart should never work again.

by Anonymousreply 2911/14/2013

I just watched the film, and I loved it. I'm surprised it didn't do bigger business. I thought Walter Salles did a great job capturing the restless mood of the novel, and Garrett Hedlund is just walking sex. I found him very charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 3011/16/2013

Lucas Raunch you mean? Oh yeah, those piss/fisting scenes have a lot of gay stuff!!

by Anonymousreply 3111/16/2013

Dean Moriarty was based on Neal Cassady, who in his prime was the hottest piece of ass in the western hemisphere. Women, men, and even dogs and cats had the hots for him.

by Anonymousreply 3212/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!