Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Charlie Crist signs papers to become a Democrat

Crist — Florida’s former Republican governor who relished the tough-on-crime nickname “Chain Gang Charlie” and used to describe himself variously as a “Ronald Reagan Republican” and a “Jeb Bush Republican” — on Friday evening signed papers changing his party from independent to Democrat.

He did so during a Christmas reception at the White House, where President Barack Obama greeted the news with a fist bump for the man who had a higher profile campaigning for Obama’s reelection this year than any Florida Democrat.

The widely expected move positions Crist, 56, for another highly anticipated next step: announcing his candidacy for governor, taking on Republican incumbent Gov. Rick Scott and an untold number of Democrats who would challenge him for the Democratic gubernatorial nomination.

“I’ve had friends for years tell me, ‘You know Charlie, you’re a Democrat and you don’t know it,’ ” Crist, a career-long populist, recounted Friday night from Washington, D.C.

Crist has been registered with no party affiliation since the spring of 2010, when his Republican candidacy for U.S. Senate was fizzling against Republican upstart Marco Rubio. Since losing that race, he has been steadily inching toward the Democratic party, first when his wife Carole switched her affiliation to Democrat and later when he threw himself into Obama’s reelection campaign, earning a prominent speaking slot during the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C.

Critics from both parties sniff that Crist is merely looking for an avenue back into public office and is willing to throw out his principles to achieve the goal.

“Charlie Crist has the ability to meld into any character — from ‘Chain Gang Charlie’ to sympathetic ‘Man of the People’ — there is seemingly no role that he can’t play,” said one recent release from the Florida GOP, which has been blasting Crist regularly in anticipation of him running for governor as a Democrat.

Crist has been consistently opposed to taxes and gun control laws, but in many respects his record is appealing to Democratic activists and donors alike.

He has been a strong supporter of higher pay for teachers. He works for a leading trial lawyer. He was a leading advocate for civil rights as governor and attorney general. And though he describes himself as “pro-life,” his voting record in the Legislature was mostly in favor of abortion rights. He has long been more of a populist than a pro-big business Republican.

“What changed is the leadership of the Republican party,” Crist said in a phone interview Friday night. “As I said at the convention, I didn’t leave the Republican party, it left me. Whether the issue was immigration, or education, or your name it — the environment. I feel at home now.”

Charlie and Carole Crist had a tour of the White House Thursday and ran into Valerie Jarrett, a senior advisor to the president. He mentioned that he was thinking of signing papers to become a Democrat the next night at a White House reception.

“She said, ‘You’re always welcome in my party. I think it’s a great idea,’ ” Crist said.

The Obama administration has long had a strong relationship with Crist, who was one of the few high-profile Republicans to enthusiastically endorse the $700 billion stimulus package that he said helped keep Florida teachers and emergency workers employed and could have funded a high-speed rail initiative in Florida had Gov. Scott not rejected the money.

Crist is no shoo-in to win the Democratic gubernatorial nomination.

Other prospective candidates include former chief financial officer and 2010 gubernatorial nominee Alex Sink, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer, state Sen. Nan Rich of Weston, and former Miami-Dade Commissioner Jimmy Morales.

by Anonymousreply 4212/09/2012

(cont'd)

“Crist was an absolute warrior for President Obama and as a result, many of the party activists I talk to are willing to welcome him with open arms, and there is no question he is an extremely viable candidate for governor, though I don’t think that beating Alex Sink in a primary is any kind of sure thing,” said Democratic strategist Steve Schale, who worked on Sink’s campaign as well as both Obama Florida campaigns.

Sink, like Crist, has not committed to running for governor again, but in a Political Connections interview airing Sunday on Bay News 9, she said Crist’s potential candidacy would have little or no effect on her thinking.

“I don’t go anywhere without strangers walking up to me on the street and asking me, and sometimes begging me and sometimes crying about their desire to see me run again,” Sink said in the interview airing Sunday at 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. “If I run I’m in it to win, no matter who the other comers are.”

by Anonymousreply 112/07/2012

So he got married to the beard for nothing?

by Anonymousreply 212/08/2012

Those exact same friends are also probably saying "You know Charlie, you're gay and you don't know it ....wait, you're a cock and an ass man ... so I guess you do know it."

by Anonymousreply 312/08/2012

He can find more tops as a Dem.

by Anonymousreply 412/08/2012

Charlie Crist ran for a US Senate seat in Florida. He lost to Marco Rubio. The Republicans were eager for a Latino to rise in office so they stampeded to help Rubio win even though Crist was long known to want that Senate seat. I think he made a foolish decision to switch to Democratic unless he's about to come out as gay. The Democratic party is even more eager to run non-white candidates.

by Anonymousreply 512/08/2012

[quote] his wife Carole

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 612/08/2012

So he is gay?

by Anonymousreply 712/08/2012

He is a very personable man.

From what I've seen of him on MSNBC, he seems intelligent and kind! He seems like a kind-hearted man.

by Anonymousreply 812/08/2012

[quote]he has been steadily inching toward the Democratic party, first when his wife Carole switched her affiliation to Democrat

Wait, aren't beards under contract to do whatever their man demands? What's with this "independent thinking" bullshit?!

by Anonymousreply 912/08/2012

Behind every successful man is a strong woman .... with a strap-on!

by Anonymousreply 1012/08/2012

Is that Carole with an "e" or Carole with a dick?

by Anonymousreply 1112/08/2012

[quote]Charlie Crist ran for a US Senate seat in Florida. He lost to Marco Rubio. The Republicans were eager for a Latino to rise in office so they stampeded to help Rubio win even though Crist was long known to want that Senate seat.

Two things:

1) The Republicans backed Rubio over Crist not because of Rubio's race, but rather because Crist is a moderate and Rubio is a reich-wing Tea Party favorite.

2) Rubio is Cuban. That does not make him "Latino" in the context of being a figure that all of America's Latinos can rally around. In fact, the largest group of Latinos in America -- Mexican-Americans and others with Central America backgrounds -- have almost nothing in common besides skin color with Cubans, who were living on a wealthy Caribbean island until Castro took over. Furthermore, there's a significant amount of intra-party racism between Mexicans and Cubans. Case in point: the recent election of Senator-elect Ted Cruz from Texas (who's Cuban), who won an overwhelming share of the white Republican vote but next to none of the Hispanic vote, aside from the handful of wealthy Hispanics who vote Republican regardless.

by Anonymousreply 1212/08/2012

She's not a hired beard; they're actually close pals and like each other. She's perfectly OK with her role.

by Anonymousreply 1312/08/2012

Love R11.

by Anonymousreply 1412/08/2012

[quote]Mexican-Americans and others with Central America backgrounds -- have almost nothing in common besides skin color with Cubans....

Not even that. Mexicans are basically indigenous peoples, Mayan, Aztec, etc., with a bit of euro sometimes. Cubans are basically varying degrees of euro(mainly spanish)/afro mix.

They are totally different ethnically and culturally. the only common link is the spanish language. "Hispanic" is not a race.

by Anonymousreply 1512/08/2012

Charlie Christ will probably be a blue dog Democrat. As long as he's only Florida's governor, he probably can't do much harm. He seems to be for voting rights, so that's good.

It would be hilarious if he came out of the closet, and then Floridians voted for him. The Republicans would all die of apoplexy.

by Anonymousreply 1612/08/2012

Do you think they'll re-edit Outrage, now that Crist is a Democrat? Or, will they leave him in that documentary?

by Anonymousreply 1712/08/2012

Shit, there has been a flurry of recently elected Democrats in the legislatures of the old Confederacy states who quickly change from "D" to "R".

Happens after every election and has been going on for about 10 years now.

It's slowing down though because all deep Southern legislatures are now in Repuke hands.

by Anonymousreply 1812/08/2012

As Governor he can do a lot to Gerrymander the House Districts, so this could be a very good thing, especially if he has an axe to grind with the Republicans. He can also help fix the voting mess the Republicans have created.

by Anonymousreply 1912/08/2012

If he'd stayed Republican, we could've had Christie/Crist or Crist/Christie in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 2012/08/2012

Why would he be elected governor AGAIN? He was governor of Florida already.

by Anonymousreply 2112/08/2012

He also revealed that as governor, the GOP attempted to have him suppress Dem votes. Even thought they didn't say it outright, it was pretty clear from what they wanted him to do.

He of course said no.

If we're talking about the best of the worst, Christ and Huntsman are right up there.

by Anonymousreply 2212/08/2012

If he finally comes out and apologizes I'll accept him. He pisses me off with what he's done to gays being a big ol closeted mo himself.

by Anonymousreply 2312/08/2012

[quote]The Democratic party is even more eager to run non-white candidates.

Which is perfect, 'cause he's orange

by Anonymousreply 2412/08/2012

R24 He and Boehner need to create a conservative version of the Green Party and call it "The Orange Party." Should make for fun on St. Patrick's Day.

by Anonymousreply 2512/08/2012

Signs papers? All you have to do is change your voter's registration card.

by Anonymousreply 2612/08/2012

[quote]Signs papers? All you have to do is change your voter's registration card.

He did the long form.

by Anonymousreply 2712/09/2012

[quote]They are totally different ethnically and culturally. the only common link is the spanish language. "Hispanic" is not a race.

Point taken. Also, one could point out that Cubans have been allowed to enter the country LEGALLY, thanks to that damn commie Castro, whereas Mexico has had a "troubled" relationship with the U.S. for 150 years or so, ever since that pesky Mexican-American war we won (which in turn resulted in mass riches for the U.S. once oil was discovered in Texas shortly thereafter).

by Anonymousreply 2812/09/2012

He's gonna run for governor against the most vulnerable incumbents in office in 2014. Scott has known this for years. Considering that he spent millions of his own money in a wave election two years ago and just eeked out a one point win over the Dem, Crist would likely beat him in 2014.

Crist would also be a Senator now if it wasn't the disaster that was the Dem candidate. Meeks or something was his name?

by Anonymousreply 2912/09/2012

Is he a bottom or top?

by Anonymousreply 3012/09/2012

BTW, this is no shock to the Republicans because they have considered him a Democrat long before this. I know many Republicans who have said in the past that this guy should become a Democrat because he is only a Republican because that is his title not his political philosophy.

by Anonymousreply 3112/09/2012

We always knew he was hiding 'donkey' in his closet.

by Anonymousreply 3212/09/2012

He's smart, moderate and probably gay. He just did not belong in the GOP. And other than the closet, I see nothing wrong with this guy.

by Anonymousreply 3312/09/2012

[quote]Rubio is Cuban. That does not make him "Latino" in the context of being a figure that all of America's Latinos can rally around.

Shhh! Let the Repugs run him and find that out the hard way.

As for Crist - back in 2008 he stated that Sarah Palin was more qualified to be president than Obama. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 3412/09/2012

[quote]Senator-elect Ted Cruz from Texas (who's Cuban), who won an overwhelming share of the white Republican vote but next to none of the Hispanic vote, aside from the handful of wealthy Hispanics who vote Republican regardless.

That says it all.

by Anonymousreply 3512/09/2012

All will be forgiven here at the DL, and Crist will be regarded as the font of eternal truth.

by Anonymousreply 3612/09/2012

Does he really think the GOP won't out him if he runs and looks like he could win?

by Anonymousreply 3712/09/2012

R37 - they won't. They can't.

*BECAUSE* KKKarl Rove IS sitting on Jeff Gannon's 9-incher...

by Anonymousreply 3812/09/2012

If the Republicans out him, I'm sure he knows where more than a few skeletons are hiding. In fact, it could get very interesting, so I doubt that's a path anyone in either party is eager to go down.

by Anonymousreply 3912/09/2012

It's a good move for Democrats. Like LBJ said about one his opponents--would you rather have him inside the tent pissing out, or outside the tent pissing in?

by Anonymousreply 4012/09/2012

He supported Obama for President in November and has trashed the Republican "evolution". I welcome him.

by Anonymousreply 4112/09/2012

R40 LBJ was into golden showers?

by Anonymousreply 4212/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.