Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are there any Datalounge NYCers who have a spacious apartment and pay a reasonable rent without a roommate?

By spacious, I'm going with anything 1000 sq. ft. and above. Or something with either a second real bedroom or a study/den?

by Anonymousreply 3312/08/2012

A friend has lived in his lovely UWS apartment since the 70s and it's rent controlled for about $1,200. Otherwise no. 1,000 sf would be about $5k in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 112/07/2012

R1 your troll post isn't even interesting.

Try again.

by Anonymousreply 212/07/2012

SORRY. I meant OP's troll post isnt interesting.

R1 is correct. And so what.

by Anonymousreply 312/07/2012

OP didnt say Manhattan, he said "NYC". There are plenty of huge apts for low rents in Harlem, da Bronx, Staten Is, etc.

by Anonymousreply 412/07/2012

Rent control is evil. Those paying $1200 a month are being subsidized by the rest of us paying market rent. It is also why new construction for rentals is not economically feasible.

Rent control is bad for the majority of New Yorkers. It also forces someone to stay in an apartment that no longer fits their lifestyle but can't afford to move.

Keeps renters in chains. Abolish it.

by Anonymousreply 512/07/2012

Given the "market" value of apartments in NYC, the rent control/stabilization laws are the only way for "middle class" New Yorkers (those making less than approx. $100K but more than $40K) to live in the 5 boroughs. Otherwise, they simply could not afford rental apartments in New York City.

And R5, there is plenty of new rental apartment construction in NYC - but 80% of it is "Luxury" apartments. That's why city law mandates that most new rental construction MUST include a certain number of apartments for middle income residents, even if the apartments are "luxury".

by Anonymousreply 712/08/2012

Wouldn't that suck to have had a super good deal on a rent controlled apartment only to lose it to hurricane Sandy?

by Anonymousreply 812/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 912/08/2012

Define "reasonable".

by Anonymousreply 1012/08/2012

OP, no. And the only people with rent control are older eldergays. I know of one in the Village paying $1,200 for a small 1BR. In that building one guy has been there since 1960! Pays $675. He dies, the building charges market rent after painting. Market rent is toward $3,000. Wanna' know rates? Simple, look in the rentals in the Sunday NYTimes. You'll find NYC is an expensive city.

by Anonymousreply 1112/08/2012

Get rid of rent control and the market would stabalize within a year. Rent control is the classic college ECON101 class

by Anonymousreply 1212/08/2012

Anyone in Chicago have a small one bedroom or studio for rent. Near public transportation.

by Anonymousreply 1312/08/2012

Yes, rent control is evil (unless you happen to have it!)

by Anonymousreply 1412/08/2012

Look at every city that has gotten rid of rent control and the last remaining pockets of middle class life and vibrant culture is decimated.

Study up on what happened to Cambridge Massachusetts once they got rid of rent control.

Getting rid of rent control would be an absolute disaster for NYC. We need more rent control if anything.

by Anonymousreply 1512/08/2012

R4- You do realize Harlem is in Manhattan, right?

by Anonymousreply 1612/08/2012

Or it could have something to do with finance industry scheisters with government-subsidized bonuses pushing up rents. Them and other assorted domestic and international crooks who have to have a place in NYC. But no, let's hate on the poor. It's econ 101!

I read somewhere that the Manhattan's population isn't really all that high - a couple million or so. When you look at all those huge residential buildings all over the place you know there's plenty sitting empty.

by Anonymousreply 1712/08/2012

I knew a woman in a West Village studio since 1964 who was paying $80.02 in 2007. When she told management of her plan to move in with relatives, they paid her $15,000 to vacate. After a quick renovation, the rent became $2,800.

She was on SCRIE (Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption) which freezes rent if a senior has an annual income of less than $29,000.

by Anonymousreply 1812/08/2012

Forgot to mention, the city gives landlords a tax break when tenants are on SCRIE.

by Anonymousreply 1912/08/2012

I know that most people in Manhattan are not making crazy salaries. For instance, where does the cashier at Duane Reade live? What about the sales bottom at Nasty Pig? These people are living somewhere in the city. Even if its a fifth floor walk up, they're living somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 2012/08/2012

R20, I wondre if a lot of the people you menion are NOT living in Manhattan but commuting from Queens? The Bronx? If they are in Manhatthan: Spanish Harlem? Inwood? Just guessing...

by Anonymousreply 2112/08/2012

I live in Hell's Kitchen (with a roommate) and am not making a crazy salary. It's not THAT difficult to live in Manhattan. You don't have to make 300,000 to afford to live here. The only people who think that don't actually live in the city.

by Anonymousreply 2212/08/2012

I watched Selling NY on HGTV last night and laaaaughed at the prices you people pay to live like sardines. Have at it!! Fight amongst yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 2312/08/2012

The trap is rent. Those who own, with a fixed mortgage, can avoid the spiraling costs abd get more value for their buck. I own a 2 family brownstone in downtown Brooklyn, one subway stop from Manhattan and 4 stops from Times Square. For 3000 square feet of space, I have a $3000 a month mortgage, and get almost that for my rental unit. I bought in 1982, when I graduated from college. It took 15 years for the deal to become so sweet, but it was worth the wait to live in the city I love.

by Anonymousreply 2412/08/2012

R1 is not correct. I have just slightly over 1,000 sf in Harlem. I have a full formal dining room and a large terrace in a doorman building for just under 2k.

by Anonymousreply 2512/08/2012

OP, again: define reasonable. I have a friend in Williamsburg who pays $2,500/month for a 2BR, fully renovated 1050 sq ft loft (he works from home and uses the second BR primarily as an office). For Williamsburg, that's reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 2612/08/2012

Is there rent control in London, Paris, Madrid, and Berlin?

Take a moment to collect your thoughts, and TIA.

by Anonymousreply 2712/08/2012

Seriously, R27? London may not have "rent control" per se, but it has a HUGE number of government-run council estates that provide subsidized housing for around 25% of the British population.

Btw the total number of rent-controlled apartments in NYC is under 40,000, this in a city of ten million people.

by Anonymousreply 2812/08/2012

"Get rid of rent control and the market would stabalize within a year. Rent control is the classic college ECON101 class"

No, so many people want to live in NYC that the demand would drive the prices up. Demand of limited resources always drives prices up.

by Anonymousreply 2912/08/2012

R24 had me going right up until:

[quote]I bought in 1982....

by Anonymousreply 3012/08/2012

Or even better: I bought in 1982, "when I graduated from college."

So Mary at R24 would have us believe she bought a house in Brooklyn after graduating from cosmetology school in 1982?

by Anonymousreply 3112/08/2012

People who are on SCRIE pay the rent they were paying when they entered the SCRIE program. The City sends the landlord the difference between what the tenant sends to the owner and the approved current rent.

by Anonymousreply 3212/08/2012

Most Republicans are people with B.A.s from mediocre state schools, like r12. Poor people who have no option other than to learn to function in the real world, and genuinely well-educated people understand that the actual economy has nothing to do with "Econ 101"; but if that's the extent of your "education," it's unsurprising that con men like Ron Paul can fool you.

by Anonymousreply 3312/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!