Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

And the rich get richer once again

AZ Powerball winner already quite well to do.

Oh well, trying hard not to think bad, jealous thoughts about how unfair life is. I just wish once in a blue moon the really big ones would go to a very poor homeless person or family or someone who needs it for health insurance or something.

by Anonymousreply 3112/16/2012

sad

by Anonymousreply 112/07/2012

10 or so years ago a multi-millionaire business owner won Powerball in West Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 212/07/2012

Of course his main concern is about the taxes. How horrible for any of those millions to go towards the public good or to help those less fortunate than he.

by Anonymousreply 312/07/2012

I know they buy their tickets and have as much right but damn, it's just sucks that life is SO unfair.

by Anonymousreply 412/07/2012

WHY do the wealthy even buy lotto tix? Seriously. It makes no sense.

A few months ago my very wealthy nephew's trophy wife posted on Facebook about entering a contest to win a "We'll pay your bills for a year" and "Free groceries for a year", saying, "I hope I win! No bills! Free food! Yay!!" I wanted to barf.

They make over a million a year.

And no, she wouldn't have given the free food to the poor and homeless. And no again, they are not cash poor" or in debt. It's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 512/07/2012

Here out in California, some very wealthy woman won a major amount of money,and I remember her acting like the win was no big deal to her.In fact, she said oh I JUST BOUGHT A NEW MERCEDES!

by Anonymousreply 612/07/2012

How is it this winner is able to remain anonymous? I thought the rule required the name to be released. Is it a state by state thing?

by Anonymousreply 712/07/2012

Damn, damn, damn!

by Anonymousreply 812/07/2012

[quote]Is it a state by state thing?

Yes it is. The winner isn't actually anonymous, the piece is misleading. My impression is that the winner has to identify themselves to the lottery office, but the lottery isn't obligated to announce it at the press conference. If so, then I'd imagine that the name is available to anyone who requests it.

by Anonymousreply 912/07/2012

A few years ago, a wealthy guy who owned a small business, which was about to fold, put all his lottery winnings into keeping his business going and he kept all the workers.

Of course, you rarely hear about someone doing something like this. IIRC, this man won the NY Lottery.

by Anonymousreply 1012/07/2012

Seems OP has the attitude that those who have should be responsible for those that don't. This is a communist attitude.

by Anonymousreply 1112/08/2012

R11, shut up

by Anonymousreply 1212/09/2012

All share-and-share-alike thoughts aside, the really sad fact is that when a truly poor or even homeless person wins any significant amount of money, that money is all gone within a few years.

If you've never had any money, you have no experience in dealing with it wisely, and when the leeches and scammers come out of the woodwork, you're easy prey. Limousines, helicopters, a cruise or two, dozens of previously unknown poor relations, your pastor showing up to remind you that it's godly to give everything to your church -- before you turn around, the millions are gone.

by Anonymousreply 1312/09/2012

R3 = communist.

by Anonymousreply 1412/09/2012

Where did you get the information that the Arizona winners were wealthy? The winners remain anonymous and there is nothing known about them personally. I do think we know it was the suburb of Fountain Hills. Many people live in Fountain Hills and not everyone is a millionaire and like many people many places they are mortgaged to the gills. The article states that they plan to set up charities to support causes they believe in.

by Anonymousreply 1512/09/2012

[quote] After the man and his wife learned of their good fortune, the husband pulled together a team of financial advisers and decided to take all of his share this month to avoid potentially higher taxes in 2013, said Karen Bach, a lottery official.

"He did have concern with the uncertainty with the fiscal cliff in 2013," Bach said, referring to the federal fiscal situation that could result in higher income tax rates.

What a fucking asshole. He just wins 192million dollars and is worried about taxes? Even if he had to give up half of that he would have 81 million dollars, more money than he would need in one lifetime and he's bitching about taxes.

I smell the foul stench of propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 1612/09/2012

"it's not faaaaiiiirrrr". What a whitney bitch...lol. Guess what, they don't have an income requirement to buy a lottery ticket. But don't worry, a huge chuck goes to taxes.

by Anonymousreply 1712/09/2012

This attitude reflects the sponge who can't make it on his own & thinks the world owes him a living.

by Anonymousreply 1812/09/2012

Being from Canada and not knowing how much these Powerball tickets cost, can some one fill me in? Are they under a few dollars so they are affordable for poor people to spend a little bit of money on in hopes of hitting the big prize? In Canada, we have some lotteries like this, while others -- usually run by registered charities -- cost $100 a ticket.

by Anonymousreply 1912/09/2012

r19, Powerball tickets are $2.00 each. They used to be $1.00. There's also an option that I think costs $1.00 more, but I think that option only increases the winning amount of the lesser prizes, not the jackpot.

by Anonymousreply 2012/09/2012

ALLLL, the more reason to tax the piss out of them. No one needs more than a million dollars to make a very comfortable living and provide for oneself. Over and above that it's just ego, vanity and frills.

by Anonymousreply 2112/09/2012

Thanks, R20.

by Anonymousreply 2212/09/2012

Lotteries, scratch tickets etc actually fund many things on the state level. Why would the winners not work the tax situation for more profit. You missed the part about the winners charitable plans. Envy runs deep

by Anonymousreply 2312/09/2012

"What a fucking asshole. He just wins 192million dollars and is worried about taxes? "

I'm sure if you had won, you would heartily choose a pay-out with higher taxes. Bravo to you.

by Anonymousreply 2412/09/2012

The word "communist" is up there with "could care less" in that without fail, it renders the person who uses it a complete dolt.

Just stop embarrassing yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 2512/09/2012

Hopefully the winner is a Democrat and will put some of their money toward Dem politicians and causes.

by Anonymousreply 2612/09/2012

All you bitches are just bitter it's not you. Especially the ones whining about how you don't need more than $1mil to be comfortable. If you were given $300 million, I doubt you'd turn it down or give it all away. And yes, why would the winner pay more taxes than he has to (lottery winnings are already taxed up the ass)?

by Anonymousreply 2712/09/2012

I remember a wealthy woman back in the 80s won the NY Lotto, and she was quoted in a newspaper headline as saying, "It's peanuts!"

Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2812/09/2012

My mom used to work for an extremely wealthy man. The one time he decided to buy a lottery ticket for the heck of it, he won. Not the jackpot but several hundred grand. Then, a few months later when he was at a gas station, he decided to buy a scratch card. Yep, he won something like 25 thousand on it.

by Anonymousreply 2912/09/2012

You never read about the others, because there is no story there.

by Anonymousreply 3012/11/2012

R9 nailed it. The guy's name was later revealed because the press made a freedom of information request for it.

by Anonymousreply 3112/16/2012
Need more help? Click Here.