Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Clay Pell, fiancé of Michelle Kwan, grandson of Ex. Sen. Claiborne Pell (D-RI)

Clay Pell, Providence, RI. Clay Pell is a JAG and Lieutenant in the United States Coast Guard.

He has served as Admiral’s Aide, Appellate Government Counsel, and Adjunct Faculty for the Defense Institute of International Legal Studies.

Clay executes regular Coast Guard exchanges with China to improve military diplomacy, instructs courses on human rights and military justice, and has prosecuted crimes for the U.S. Marine Corps. Prior to military service, Clay worked for the CIA, State Department, and the international law firms of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Baker & McKenzie, and Uría Menéndez.

He helped lead a national campaign to increase funding for inexpensive, lifesaving medicines for children under five. In Rhode Island, Clay supported Progreso Latino, the International Institute, and the China Working Group in their drive to instruct foreign languages in local schools and provide critical services to communities of new Americans.

Clay is fluent in Chinese, Spanish, and Arabic and studied law in China and Argentina.

He graduated first in his class from the Coast Guard Direct Commission Officer School, earned his J.D. from Georgetown University, and graduated from Harvard University with high honors in Social Studies and a Citation in Modern Standard Arabic. Clay is a recipient of the CIA’s Exceptional Performance Award.

Placement: National Security Staff, The White House

by Anonymousreply 1712/09/2012

On the other thread about these 2 tiresome fame whores he was described as a big homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 112/07/2012

What makes them famewhores? I don't see them seeking any media attention.

And where's the evidence that he's anti-gay?

by Anonymousreply 212/07/2012

R1 is confusing Michelle Kwan's boyfriends. It was the one before that was the alleged homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 312/07/2012

[quote]He has served as Admiral’s Aide, Appellate Government Counsel, and Adjunct Faculty for the Defense Institute of International Legal Studies.

I love when people come from nothing and make it despite all the obstacles.

by Anonymousreply 412/07/2012

Well, there you go. Nothing like the 2% getting more for their own.

I don't like to dwell on what I don't have and opportunities missed out on because I'm pretty happy about my life but every now and then I am reminded of how unfair the game can be.

I ran across an article about a cousin I no longer have contact with. She comes from a large family with a father (also my cousin) who was very powerful in Washington for decades and because of what he did he was influential and powerful throughout the country. He was able to put his kids in great jobs throughout his life and theirs - despite their intellectual limits and sort of spoiled even obnoxious personalities. They also enjoyed all kinds of goodies, favors and advantages he got (not all legal or ethical) because of what he did (low mortgages, acceptance & scholarships at colleges, fabulous internships, great jobs with connected people, etc). Sadly my mother fell out with her once beloved cousin and their family because they stupidly shared most of this with her and she thought they were nothing but crooks and thieves. Well, that and the fact they were really typical of obnoxious Washington twits.

Well, thanks to the internet LOL! I noticed the oldest female cousin now has a great job in DC as head of legislative affairs for a major entity and her career looks like a continuing progression through great jobs and even a very high presidential appointment at an agency - Clinton years. A careful look showed all these jobs were an outgrowth of her dad's job and people who worked closely with him or were dependent upon him. Okay I know how this works - people get jobs through conenctions.

But since this is now decades later and she is a grown woman with great experience and success I figured well, wow, good for her she's grown out of her inarticulate, not too bright, awkward self and blossomed into this fabulous career woman. Wrong.

I listened to a lengthy interview of her from not that many years ago and she is as thick and boring and inarticulate as she was back in the day. There was plenty of room and opportunity in that interview to show some personality, even wit, or political insight and knowledge, maybe even a good memory - she was asked to reminisce about a famous politician she worked for and to talk about her own career and life. But it was painfully dull and uninformative.

Sometimes I just don't know. Maybe it really is all gamed and if you don't have the family and connections it doesn't matter what you do or how smart you are. There is a limit placed on you and the really good stuff is reserved for the 2%.

Sorry for the rant. At least I'm happy Obama won.

by Anonymousreply 512/07/2012

R5 the oldest rule in the book. It is not what you know. It is who you know.

Networking is an art a skill.

by Anonymousreply 612/07/2012

She is a relentless social climber.

by Anonymousreply 712/07/2012

This young man's grandfather, Sen. Claiborne Pell, seems to have been an amazing man.

"He was an early supporter of gay rights. I'll not forget the afternoon he put a human face on the issue in opposing some nefarious Helms amendment. "My daughter Julia, of whom I am most proud," he said on the floor of the Senate, "is head of the lesbians in Rhode Island!" We chuckled and cringed at the way it came out, but Claiborne made his point. Real families and real lives were at stake, and he was proud of his gay daughter."

The author doesn't say, but I think this was during the 1993 circus around the Senate confirmation of Roberta Achtenberg, Clinton's appointee as Assistant Secretary of Housing Department. She was the first openly gay person confirmed by the U.S. Senate. LESS THAN 20 YEARS AGO!

Senator Pell also voted against the 1996 Defenense of Marriage Act.

In addition to starting the Pell Grants (college money for students with financial need), he was a driving force behind the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Amtrak, and ending nuclear-bomb testing in the ocean. He was a vocal critic of the wars in Vietnam and Nicaragua and of the continued US isolation from Cuba.

He enlisted in the Coast Guard (like his grandson) before Pearl Harbor in 1941, and remained in the Reserve until 1978.

by Anonymousreply 812/07/2012

This is an interesting Wikipedia page about Raymond Nels Nelson, who was Senator Claiborne Pell's good friend, first campaign manager and longtime Senate aide.

He was apparently openly gay in the 1970s and brutally murdered with a typewriter in 1981.

If you Google, you can find more stuff about him (there's still a reward for information about this 30-year-old case).

by Anonymousreply 912/07/2012

I'm from RI. Sen. Pell was revered and a gentleman of the highest order. Nothing like today's Democrats at all.

by Anonymousreply 1012/08/2012

sad he settled for Asian

by Anonymousreply 1112/08/2012

[quote]Networking is an art a skill.

You really think the grandson of a very wealthy senator from a very old family needs "skill" to network, R6? Really? He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth as my mother says. He needs nothing but his old family name.

by Anonymousreply 1212/08/2012

Well, you know what they say - Asian girls are the last stop on the V train before homotown.

by Anonymousreply 1312/08/2012

Why r11, he's a nerd, uglier than she is. And what's all this anti-Asian crap? She might not be hot, but lots of Asian women are.

by Anonymousreply 1512/08/2012

In the press release, Michelle Kwan claims she was naked when she got engaged. TMI.

by Anonymousreply 1612/09/2012

She's a beauty.

by Anonymousreply 1712/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.