Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do restaurants get better food delivered than what's available in supermarkets?

Salads and fruit always taste better at restaurants. I buy mandarin oranges and they are covered in white freckles. Not so of the mandarin oranges in the fruit salad at my local deli. Lettuce I buy at grocers tastes like cardboard or has a bitter taste to it. Restaurant salads taste fresh and earthy.

Do restaurants have better food available to them? I buy name brand and purchase my fruits and vegetables every few days. I'm in Boston if that makes a difference.

by Anonymousreply 1612/09/2012

What the hell kind of crappy grocery stores are you going to?

by Anonymousreply 112/07/2012

Op, ask your restaurants where they buy their produce. Many of those places sell "retail". Or shop at the farmer's market.

by Anonymousreply 212/07/2012

Boston has awesome produce...go to Haymarket

by Anonymousreply 312/07/2012

I am sure some do. I worked in a restaurant and the food they bought was disgusting beyond imagination. Watch for food service trucks and you will know where they get stuff. In my area the big deal is Shamrock and they deliver gross food.

by Anonymousreply 412/07/2012

fggf

by Anonymousreply 512/08/2012

The franchises have their own discounted and closed supply routes, but for individual restaurants, there are several restaurant supply stores around. Although in more industrial areas, many of them have walk in fronts for the general public, so find out where they are, the produce is much better quality.

by Anonymousreply 612/09/2012

Most people won't buy fruits and vegetables with spots; that's why they look and taste "like plastic." Better restaurants in Vegas go to a specialty market where the produce is not picked when it's too green but really vine ripened. You only need a business license to shop there.

by Anonymousreply 712/09/2012

I see local restaurant personnel in my big chain grocery store all the time buying vegetables, etc., in bulk.

by Anonymousreply 812/09/2012

r3 you must be joking. Haymarket is all old produce from the distributors that the vendors foist on the unsuspecting. Much of it is barely edible. This is why it's so cheap.

Boston needs a real farmers' market, like Montreal has.

by Anonymousreply 912/09/2012

Much of your restaurant food comes from Sysco. They sell food to everyone from ballparks to the Four Seasons.

by Anonymousreply 1012/09/2012

There's a restaurant I order a lot from and I love their meals but the one thing that irritates me is their tomatoes, which are always hard, waxy and flavorless. I often want to go to them and ask them to change the supplier for their tomatoes because they're bad.

by Anonymousreply 1112/09/2012

OP there are a few winter farmer's markets in the boston area. One is indoors, in the Brookline arcade building.

by Anonymousreply 1212/09/2012

Dunkin Donuts coffee tastes better in the store than at home from the bags they sell.

by Anonymousreply 1312/09/2012

This place has excellent food and is always market price and fresh, fresh. The waiter once told us that the chef picks it out himself from the markets. I think he goes to one over on Airline Dr. This place was described to me as the "the place where other chefs go to eat".

by Anonymousreply 1412/09/2012

Linky.

by Anonymousreply 1512/09/2012

[quote]I often want to go to them and ask them to change the supplier for their tomatoes because they're bad.

Tell the restaurant manager. He can tell his produce supplier that the tomatoes are like rocks. He can turn away crates at delivery if their not up to the restaurant's standards.

by Anonymousreply 1612/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.