Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Barbra: "I'm not a diva"

She's jes' folks. She's Babs from the Block!

by Anonymousreply 7812/09/2012

Ego 10, Looks 3

by Anonymousreply 112/07/2012

Also from Barbra: "Water is not wet."

by Anonymousreply 212/07/2012

I think she's more a perfectionist as opposed to a diva. Dives are the demanding types for no other reason other than they think of themselves above the rest. Jennifer Lopez, Beyoncé, Mariah come to mind...

by Anonymousreply 312/07/2012

Barbra is the poster child for good plastic surgery. She looks amazing for 70!

by Anonymousreply 412/07/2012

Babs was our guide model for our recent SMAS lift. We strove not to look like a different person, just the same person but a little better. Under-correcting rather than over-correcting.

Notice how Babs' cheeks are hollowed out from the SMAS being lifted. We have the same thing now!

by Anonymousreply 512/07/2012

I totally want to take a tour of her basement shopping mall.

by Anonymousreply 612/07/2012

I thought she looked great.

by Anonymousreply 812/07/2012

BS is exactly that...full of BS! She looks great for a fugly busted up old bag? She looks like the typical old schlumpy hausfrau from Brooklyn but with bad plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 912/07/2012

Does she really think people will buy this if she keeps saying it?

Non-divas don't demand beige microphones when they appear on Oprah or to have the entire set furniture rearranged to suit her best side when she's on Rosie.

by Anonymousreply 1012/07/2012

Being a diva and being a perfectionist are quite different.

Barbra is rather down-to-earth. She doesn't even have a reputation of being a diva. Some members of the public or media made it up because it's easy to label someone a diva who has been at the top of her profession for more than 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2012

A perfectionist would be concerned about sound quality. A diva would demand a beige microphone. That's it in a nutshell.

by Anonymousreply 1212/07/2012

R11 = typical DL queen who jerks off to his Judy, Liza and Barbara tapes

by Anonymousreply 1312/07/2012

She's been hitting the PR circuit hard for this movie. She must REALLY think she has a chance at Best Supporting Actress--I never remember her doing anything similar for any other movie, going back to the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 1412/07/2012

R14, that would be for Best Actress. She's the star of the film. Supporting actress is for second bananas like Anne Hathaway and Sally Field.

by Anonymousreply 1512/07/2012

That's actually a pretty good interview, even though it is obviously WAY cut down.

by Anonymousreply 1612/07/2012

I will always love Babs. I saw her in Atlanta a few years back and she didn't disappoint. Yes, I'm old.

by Anonymousreply 1712/07/2012

I am old enough to have seen her at her first concert in Newport Rhode Island in 1966

by Anonymousreply 1812/07/2012

Don't you fuckers be talking trash about La Streisand. Gay karma will so put you in line. In other words, RESPECT, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 1912/07/2012

Two friends worked for her, one person several times. Both said the same thing...very down to earth, professional, friendly, a pleasure to work with

by Anonymousreply 2012/07/2012

Barbra has had many of the same friends and the same manager since mid-'60s when she hit it big. That doesn't happen if you're a diva. Divas lose people left and right constantly.

It doesn't matter how successful you are, if you're a demading pain in the ass always causing comotion and drama, managers, agents, etc., don't stick it out with you. They leave.

This hasn't happened to Barbra. She may be a perfectionist, but she's a professional. Not a diva.

by Anonymousreply 2112/07/2012

She seems very down-to-earth in today's NYT:

by Anonymousreply 2212/07/2012

What does she mean "I wanna direct."

She has directed. She can direct again.

by Anonymousreply 2312/07/2012

[R14] How peculiar for an actor to promote a film they were in. Get a life. Maybe she should break her contract and not finish her job.

by Anonymousreply 2412/07/2012

She needs this movie to be well received to prove that she is still hot box office, so that she can get the studios to let her do Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 2512/07/2012

R10, Barbra didn't demand either of those things.

Rosie went on a very public campaign to get Barbra on the show, and re-arranged the set on her own to convince Barbra to come on the show.

Re: Oprah, every artist who performs anywhere requests specific mics....some prefer corded or wireless ones, some want rhinestone, some want copper top, Barbra happened to want a white one. Reeeeally not a big deal. Are you angry at women for soemthing?

by Anonymousreply 2612/07/2012

r26, you are completely full of shit.

First you say,

[quote]Barbra didn't demand either of those things.

And then, two sentences later you state THE EXACT OPPOSITE:

[quote]Re: Oprah, every artist who performs anywhere requests specific mics....some prefer corded or wireless ones, some want rhinestone, some want copper top, Barbra happened to want a white one.

So she didn't demand it, but she demanded it. Well which is it?

The answer: You are SOOOOOOOOO full of SHIT!

by Anonymousreply 2712/08/2012

50 years in the business meh She's not lovely and gracious and HOT Like another lady I know who's also been in at this show business thing 50 years

by Anonymousreply 2812/08/2012

Would you guys like to purchase a book illustrating the construction of my dream home? MSRP $60.00

by Anonymousreply 2912/08/2012

She has OCD. Her perfectionism stems from this. People with OCD often would rather come across as bitchy then neurotic.

by Anonymousreply 3012/08/2012

[quote]or to have the entire set furniture rearranged to suit her best side when she's on Rosie.

that's not a true statement r10....Rosie had switched the set weeks before Barbra arrived because she wanted to be different from other shows.

by Anonymousreply 3112/08/2012

[quote] STREISAND I never saw the complete movie. I was in Europe spa-ing, going from spa to spa. And they were sending me bits to O.K. So I would download them and watch the bits on my computer. It’s the first time in my life I never saw the whole movie.

ROGEN You’re not alone. [Laughs hard.]

She's maybe biting the hand that feeds her by bitching about Little Fockers, but this is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 3212/08/2012

Has the movie premiered? Many actors don't see the completed movie until the premiere

by Anonymousreply 3312/08/2012

She's talking about Little Fockers as the film she's never seen.

I hope this does encourage her to take more movie roles. I'd love to see her do a really dramatic role or something on a grand epic scale.

by Anonymousreply 3412/08/2012

I agree with R7. R21, when there are superb employees who work for her who have built her image up, and who are assets to her company who have made her company thrive, she doesn't want to lose those people so naturally she is going to treat her luck charms like gold. she is a shrewd business woman and who knows how to make her company work to a great success. However, if you are a nobody, a fan, someone she can't benefit from and there is nothing to gain from that person or persons, I believe she can be nasty, and act like she is above you which I have heard numerous times.

by Anonymousreply 3512/08/2012

If you don't liker or respect her why not just not buy her records and no go see her movies?

by Anonymousreply 3612/08/2012

You make her sound like Mitt Romney, R35.

by Anonymousreply 3712/08/2012

Barbra only agreed to do the Focker movies if she got a nice percentage of the profits. Both films went on to make a combined billion $$$ worldwide. "Meet the Fockers" even surpassed "Home Alone" as the most successful live-action comedy in history. Needless to say, Barbra made a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 3812/08/2012

Well, I like her, but I've never had any illusions about her. There are too many stories out there, and while some are obviously false, others are not.

Look at her reaction to Idina Menzel singing for her at the Kennedy Center honors. Or read what Steven Cojucaro had to say about meeting her at the Emmys.

I admire her work, but she is not someone who I would go out of my way to meet. Not like a Cher, Gloria Estefan, Liza Minnelli, Dolly Parton, Olivia, Gladys Knight or Patti Labelle.

And really, for someone who is so liberal, she could drop the outrageous ticket prices.

by Anonymousreply 3912/08/2012

The first movie was wonderful with Barbra and Dustin as husband and wife. As she noted in the NY Times, they knew each other way back in acting school. So it sort of came full circle to have them co-starring as husband and wife.

by Anonymousreply 4012/08/2012

R21 = charlie

Still singing that tired old song.

by Anonymousreply 4112/08/2012

I read somewhere that Barbra Streisand doesn't like Patty Duke now that's being a diva

by Anonymousreply 4212/08/2012

R27, let me help you with your comprehension problems.

Asking for a white microphone: "Any ideas for the set, Barb?" "Yeh, I'd like everything white...curtains, flowers, stool, mic. Donna's giving me a beautiful turtleneck and I'd like it to be of a piece with the set."

Some artists are the former, Barbra is the latter. It's completely within her wherewithal to ask (ask, not demand) for a white microphone. You're not in the industry, are you?

by Anonymousreply 4312/08/2012

For every friend Barbra retained from her early years, there are a dozen she stopped speaking to after making it big. That's a fact.

by Anonymousreply 4412/08/2012

[quote]"Any ideas for the set, Barb?" "Yeh, I'd like everything white...

Fucking racist.

by Anonymousreply 4512/08/2012

Alas r44 is right. She had a relationship-ending fight with Peter Matz after THE BROADWAY ALBUM (I'm assuming about money). He died ahortly afterward.

NOBODY made Streisand sound better than Matz, as the syrupy overblown production of BACK TO BROADWAY and most of her subsequent albums demonstrate.

by Anonymousreply 4612/08/2012

A pal of mine, now deceased,who did domestic work said that he was approached to work for Babs. He said he'd never do it, because her reputation about being VERY difficult to work for had preceeded her. Maybe she is nice to important people who make her money, but what about her staff?

by Anonymousreply 4712/08/2012

r46 --

The Broadway Album was made in 1985.

Peter Matz died in 2002.

I'm not sure I'd call that "shortly."

by Anonymousreply 4812/08/2012

Here's the truth about the Rosie Show.

Several weeks before Babs was on the show, Rosie had the entire set flipped to its mirror image. They did it on over the weekend and hoped people wouldn't notice, and that even if the audience did notice, they would have forgotten about it by the time Barbra's episode rolled around.

Babs demanded the set closed so the lighting could be done to her standards, which left the studio audience waiting in the hall for several hours.

Rosie's staff was also instructed not to make direct eye contact.

by Anonymousreply 4912/08/2012

r48: Thank you for that.

More's the pity that Matz was still around when Streisand chose Johnny Mandel & David Foster to arrange and orchestrate BACK TO BROADWAY.

by Anonymousreply 5012/08/2012

Barbra hasn't had a solo Top 40 hit since "The Way He Makes Me Feel" hit No. 40 in 1983. (She did reach the Top 40 in duets with Bryan Adams [1996] and Don Johnson [1988]).

Her last Top Ten solo hit was "Woman In Love" in 1980.

Barbra's reached the Top Ten a total of 12 times, but five of those she was partnered with someone else: Neil Diamond, Donna Summer, Barry Gibb (twice), or Bryan Adams.

by Anonymousreply 5112/08/2012

[quote]Barbra is the latter. It's completely within her wherewithal to ask (ask, not demand) for a white microphone.

She had one of Oprah's microphones painted without bothering to notify Oprah first she was going to do it.

Everyone knows that. Kathy Griffin did a routine around it.

by Anonymousreply 5212/08/2012

R49 your post was good until the last sentence

by Anonymousreply 5312/08/2012

Rosie also gave Babs a very expensive antique doll as a gift for appearing on her show, which Babs threw into the trash after declaring, "That's the ugliest fucking doll I've even seen."

by Anonymousreply 5412/08/2012

Not a fan, but Streisand is primarily an albums artist. She's sold a shitload of them.

by Anonymousreply 5512/08/2012

R51, You do realize that Barbra is the top-selling female recording artist in U.S. history, don't you? In fact, she's the ONLY female in the Top 10 recording artists of all time. And she's the only recording artist in history to have #1 albums in 6 consecutive decades!

by Anonymousreply 5612/08/2012

Kathy Griffin making a joke about something makes it true? oyyyy. Who is this everyone you're talking about, R52? Gay men who love drama??? If you want to position Streisand as prima donna there are plenty of ways to do that without believing stupid stories. Did Barbra's pianist sneak into Harpo one night with a can of paint? Maybe an intrepid line producer from Oprah's staff ran out to Dulux and no-one noticed? Please. Learn how the industry works.

Oprah's got bigger things to worry about in a work day than a painted mic; believe me it was a standard production department request. Or, don't believe me and continue propagating untrue myths that you believe simply because KATHY GRIFFIN, a font of honesty and not at all a comedian who embellishes, exaggerates, and makes up something for the sake of a punch line SAID SO. There's pleeeeeeenty of mockable Streisand incidents I and others could tell you that would satisfy your need for gossip that are actually true. The idea that Barbra demanded a white mic without letting Oprah know is a demonstrably false story.

by Anonymousreply 5712/08/2012

[quote] The idea that Barbra demanded a white mic without letting Oprah know is a demonstrably false story.

So, demonstrate...

by Anonymousreply 5812/08/2012

Yes, I second that, r57. Demonstrate.

by Anonymousreply 5912/08/2012

It's actually demonstrably [bold]true.[/bold]

Here's proof on video Barbra had Oprah's mic painted white without telling Oprah first, despite r57's insane insistence to the contrary.

Go to 5:05.

by Anonymousreply 6012/08/2012

Ha ha. Good one, r60.

Barbara fangurls. Feh.

by Anonymousreply 6112/08/2012

Oprah being passive-aggressive with Barbara. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 6212/08/2012

R46, that was way after. Babs cut off many people who knew her when she was a struggling "actress," many had helped her when she was down.

by Anonymousreply 6312/08/2012

R60 and R61...I'm sorry that you are chooisng to read the situation the way you are.

Nothing in that clip contradicts what I said. "having the mic painted white" is not DEMANDING to have the mic painted white. As I said, a standard production request. As I also said, Oprah had bigger fish to fry in her daily routine then checking in on mic colors. The way the people want the story told is that Barbra went in DEMANDING something without clearing it with Oprah first. That's not how it went down, and that's not how it goes down on anyone's talk show ever. Talent never clears things or tells things to a host prior. Barbra made a request, an Oprah producer carried it out. If one of Oprah's own producers didn't tell her "oh, the streisand people made a minor production request" (and why on earth would they?) it's not a biggie, and certainly does not equate Barbra demanding things and not waiting for clearance.

R60, I worked on Barbra's two most recent tours. Feh yourself.

by Anonymousreply 6412/08/2012

If it was no biggie, Winfrey would not have brought it up. She did so to make a point.

by Anonymousreply 6512/08/2012

Barbra should have shoved that white microphone up Oprah's ass.

by Anonymousreply 6612/08/2012

Wow you bitches are such cunts.

by Anonymousreply 6712/08/2012

I think it is still strange Barbra did not attend Marvin Hamlisch's funeral,and when interviewers brought up his death, she said oh we became friends when I was 19 years old and we were friends ever since with no feeling and she coldly changed the subject. Its really weird because others like Ann-Margret, Liza Minnelli, etc. seemed really broken up over his death.

by Anonymousreply 6812/09/2012

The Barbra fangurl is insane.

"Up is down! The sky is green! Grass is blue!"

by Anonymousreply 6912/09/2012

[quote] The sky is green! Grass is blue!

I want them both off-white!

by Anonymousreply 7012/09/2012

If I were a celebrity, and I found myself on a red carpet next to Barbra Streisand, I would wrap my arms around her and hold her in a way that made sure only the right of her face could be photographed with me.

by Anonymousreply 7112/09/2012

Well done, R70.

by Anonymousreply 7212/09/2012

The source of the white-microphone thing was Kathy Griffin, repeating something in her stand-up act that Oprah had told her off-camera.

by Anonymousreply 7312/09/2012

R68 what are you talking about? Barbra participated in Marvin's memorial didn't she?

by Anonymousreply 7412/09/2012

Did you miss the video above? Oprah mentioned it to Streisand on air. Griffin wasn't so much the source as the "re-tweeter".

by Anonymousreply 7512/09/2012

Her current hairstyle is horrible. I think she'd look better with that old perm than the retro-center parted hippy look she's got going at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 7612/09/2012

I hope Barbra has a baby in the new year. Having Princess Kate and Barbra expecting babies at the same time would be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 7712/09/2012

r64/et. al. is a mess. She keeps going back to her same meme that Barbra isn't a diva, and when people offer her facts to the contrary, she changes her line of argument.

Look, re-painting the host's microphone to a color that suits you without telling her people (and it's absolutely crystal clear from r60's video that Oprah was amusedly calling her out on that on television) constitutes diva-dom.

Having a shopping mall for your purchases under your compound of houses constitutes diva-dom.

Just having a compound of houses constitutes diva-dom!

You may love Barbra Stresiand, and that's fine. But she IS an enormous diva. All sane people know that, and we have video evidence at r60 where Oprah calls her out on her diva-ish behavior.

by Anonymousreply 7812/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!