Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gerard Butler's collapse is complete!

"Playing For Keeps" earns a "0" at rottentomatoes!

by Anonymousreply 3712/08/2012

[quote]Another exercise in here's-the-woman-you-belong-with-and-we'll-just-delay-the-inevitable-for-90-minutes-before-you-stop-her-from-getting-on-that-plane.

That describes every Rom-Com in movie history.

by Anonymousreply 112/07/2012

Why mess with a winning formula, R1

by Anonymousreply 212/07/2012

NOTHING about Gerard Butler screams 'rom-com'. Add Jessica Biel as the leading lady and you have a sure recipe for failure.

I like Uma Thurman and Dennis Quaid well enough, but not enough to see this movie.

by Anonymousreply 312/07/2012

Make Jessica Biel go away.

[quote]A high-level publicist was less enthused. "Personally, I honest-to-God don’t know how Jessica Biel is famous," says the rep, who confessed to being somewhat bewildered by Biel’s outsized profile given both her relative lack of box office success and choice of roles. "Was it Valentine’s Day? Or New Year’s Eve?" asks this PR vet about Biel's supporting parts in ensemble piffle. "Dating Justin is a big part of her appeal, but the work does have to speak for itself."

by Anonymousreply 412/07/2012

Has this guy ever made a decent picture? Is he a big box office draw?

by Anonymousreply 512/07/2012

You could tell from the trailer that this was going to be a stinker. Butler and Biel look absolutely mismatched and without the slightest bit of chemistry between them.

Aside from 300 he's never been in a real hit but studios and producers seem to like him. He's got a bunch of movies lined up after this.

by Anonymousreply 612/07/2012

Another critic wrote "The only good thing that can be said about this film is that it doesn't also co-star Kathryn Heigl".

Why does Hollywood keep making films like this?

Even the poster looks like every other Rom-Com in the past 2 year.

by Anonymousreply 712/07/2012

It has the feel and look of an ABC Movie of the week from the 70's with Bill Bixby standing in for Gerard Butler.

by Anonymousreply 812/07/2012

Why did Uma, CZJ, and Dennis Quaid appear in this? Did they need the money that badly?

Seriously, the description of this movie makes it sound like something from the "Create Your Own Jennifer Aniston Movie" thread

by Anonymousreply 912/07/2012

Did anyone involved with this movie think that it would be a success? How do movies like this get made?

And can't Gerard Butler be a bit more selective?

by Anonymousreply 1012/07/2012

Wouldn't the premise have been more believable if Catherine Zeta-Jones had played his ex-wife?

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2012

Jessica Biel is the leading lady? Are you sure she's not playing his daughter?

by Anonymousreply 1212/07/2012

Why do I even know this guy? The only thing I've ever seen him in is 300, where he didn't really look like himself. Why does Hollywood make people rich when no one watches their movies?

by Anonymousreply 1312/08/2012

Man, can we talk about Jessica Biel? I actually, genuinely like her and think she's a good actress. What she did in the Texas Chainsaw remake isn't easy. But it's been flop after flop after flop after flop after flop in the 10 years since. If she weren't married to Timberlake, she would've been shipped back to TV a long time ago.

That girl needs a career reinvention, PRONTO! And to never, ever, EVER do another romantic comedy as long as she lives

by Anonymousreply 1412/08/2012

Biel does not have any unique discernible talent and does have a rather plain, horsey face. But in addition to JT, she dated Chris Evans and Derek Jeter. I can only assume she is adept at mastering her gag reflex.

by Anonymousreply 1512/08/2012

Problem with Jessica is she's got no screen charisma. She's just there.

by Anonymousreply 1612/08/2012

The radio ads for this movie, at least in my neck of the woods, are nothing but Gerald Butler TALKING ABOUT THE MOVIE. What kind of commercial is that?

by Anonymousreply 1712/08/2012

I think butler is the most smug least appealing actor in the biz today. Cant act worth a fuck and doesnt do a thing for me on any level. And yet hollywood keeps trying to make him a bona fide star. Wtf?!

by Anonymousreply 1812/08/2012

Gerard Butler is fugly and not leading man material. Plus he lies about his age.

by Anonymousreply 1912/08/2012

Who is it exactly who find Gerard Butler attractive? Cause it sure isn't me.

by Anonymousreply 2012/08/2012

I liked Biel's recent horror movie The Tall Man (from the same guy who made Marytyrs) and thought she was good in it, but otherwise I agree, she's been useless for a long time. I don't know what the hell she was supposed to be doing in Hitchcock.

by Anonymousreply 2112/08/2012

I agree, Biel has no charisma. She's too vanilla

by Anonymousreply 2212/08/2012

Is it Butlers fault or are the studios unable to make a good film? No good writers, no good directors?

by Anonymousreply 2312/08/2012

Stuck in rom-com purgatory.

by Anonymousreply 2412/08/2012

Gerard Butler was attractive a few years back. But now all the drinking is finally catching up with him.

by Anonymousreply 2512/08/2012

Astonishing how so many male actors can star in flops and continue to get work.

by Anonymousreply 2612/08/2012

Also, as an update -- the movie has flopped commercially as well, not just critically. It'll make about $6million this weekend. That's about what Brad Pitt's flop made last weekend.

by Anonymousreply 2712/08/2012

Gerard Butler's collapse is complete? Or has CZJ's career decent into Nic Cage levels of indiscriminate choices just begun? Anyone else notice she has managed to get her carcass on the poster for another equally insipid comedy called "Lay the Favourite" which has the same color scheme and layout? She has definitely proven herself to be box office poison.

by Anonymousreply 2812/08/2012

Well, he was always a mediocre actor at best. What roles are there for him? Action movies and romcoms. He was sort of attractive for a year or two a while ago but now he's a bloated, boozy, chain smoking mess and it shows. Basically, he's approaching Russell Crowe territory without the talent to match. Is that supposed to be attractive to middle aged women who are the target audience for this type of drivel?

by Anonymousreply 2912/08/2012

R1 or stop the wedding. You know a good RomCom is not complete without the protagonist crashing the wedding to profess his love for the leading lady as she's about to marry the wrong guy.

by Anonymousreply 3012/08/2012

Its RT score is on the rise! Its up to 2%.

by Anonymousreply 3112/08/2012

"Its RT score is on the rise! Its up to 2%."

Holy shit! Which critics actually gave this a "fresh" review? Are they paid shills?

by Anonymousreply 3212/08/2012

Doesn't Gerard try really hard to be heterosexual?

by Anonymousreply 3312/08/2012

All his previous tries at rom-com's have flopped. Why another one??

There was the one with Katherine Heigl, the one with Jennifer Aniston, the one with Hilary Swank and I think there's more.

by Anonymousreply 3412/08/2012

"All his previous tries at rom-com's have flopped. Why another one?? "

Who keeps hiring him for these things? Does some studio exec blindly believe that "women love him", or does some studio exec have a hard-on for him?

I can't believe it's the latter. Why give the guy you want a role in a multi-million dollar movie, when he could be had for a case of beer.

by Anonymousreply 3512/08/2012

[quote]Who is it exactly who find Gerard Butler attractive?

by Anonymousreply 3612/08/2012

He is the epitome of 'greasy looking.' Together with Russell Crowe. They should never be cast in romcoms, which are fantasies about romance and looks.

by Anonymousreply 3712/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!