Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People who are certain they will die on 12/21/12

My sister is certain the world will end then. She's giving all her shit away, and I've gotten some cool Mexican folk art from her.

Do you know anyone who's certain the world is ending in 2 weeks?

Have you scored any cool gifts from them?

Can we keep the stuff if we survive, or would that be rude?

by Anonymousreply 3812/09/2012

won't you be dead too?

by Anonymousreply 112/07/2012

I know a guy who's dad is a Baptist preacher who's tangled up a bunch of doomsday shit together and is convinced we'll all be dead on the 21st. He also thinks Obama is the anti-christ (you know, because he's black?) and that Jesus is coming back. Goddamnit if pot was legal I wouldn't have to listen to his fuckery.

by Anonymousreply 212/07/2012

by Anonymousreply 312/07/2012

Move to Seattle, R2!

by Anonymousreply 412/07/2012

No one I know believes this, OP.

Your sister sounds mentally ill. Does she have a history of manic or histrionic behavior? What you describe is not normal and someone should be getting her the help she clearly needs.

by Anonymousreply 512/07/2012

OP, the the world is ending, why would your sister be giving things away? Everyone would be dead and her things would pretty much be gone too!

by Anonymousreply 612/07/2012

You know I almost wish Jesus would come back and all the white southern good ole' boy Christians would have strokes when they see how dark he was (and a Jew to boot)!

by Anonymousreply 712/07/2012

Americanize Mayan calendar: Offer 'End of Time' sales event Lewis Diuguid Lewis Diuguid The Kansas City Star Marketers and advertisers aren’t thinking creatively about the growing Mayan calendar end-of-time hysteria. Instead of letting people and the media work the world into a year-2000, Y2K-type frenzy when all of the computers were supposed to have gone on the fritz, marketing types should lock on to Dec. 21 deadline with all of the big wrenches American capitalism. Turn the hysteria into a one-day, everything-must-go, close-out Friday sales event. Grocery stores can offer sales for a Thanksgiving-like, last supper feast. Turkeys and steaks can be marked down along with potatoes, gravy, veggies, wine, beer, premium liquors and already-prepared pies and cakes. What an end-of-time banquet for family and friends that would make. Department stores can have sales on normally expensive shoes and suits that people otherwise wouldn’t buy, except now they might so they’d be dressed in style for the big one on Dec. 21. That’s when the world is said to end because that’s when the 5,125-year cycle known as the Long Count in the Mayan calendar supposedly comes to a close. Electronics and furniture stores can have markdowns on big screen TVs, computers, iPads, iPhones, huge refrigerators, living, dining and bed room sets, which people normally wouldn’t get but would splurge if they thought it was their FINAL opportunity to live a little. Car dealers could do the same with the pricier vehicles on their showroom floors. Think of how such ads and purchases would boost Christmas sales. The country would end the year fiscally well-off from the increased tax revenue, and companies could boast of great sales in the fourth quarter. Consumers, however, might have to do a little more belt tightening in the New Year after it turns out — like Y2K — that Dec. 21 was just another day.

by Anonymousreply 812/07/2012

R6, I asked for the stuff. She thinks I'm crazy.

by Anonymousreply 912/07/2012

So you took advantage of your mentally unbalanced sister. Classy.

by Anonymousreply 1012/07/2012

I own property in the Yucatan area of Mexico, and even the Mayans there don't believe we're going to die! By all means, keep collecting $$ and objects from the idiotas who believe this.

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2012

Can someone translate r8 into "concise and intelligible"? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 1212/07/2012

People are idiots. The Mayans never said the world would end.. it's just the end and beginning of a new calendar, like what happens to us every New Years. It's no different. The world doesn't end when the year is over, just like the world won't end when the Mayans' calendar has finished.. it just means that a new one begins. The era is over, and a new era begins. It doesn't mean the end of the world.

by Anonymousreply 1312/07/2012

What R13 said.

by Anonymousreply 1412/07/2012

Are you crazy, OP? Of course you keep the stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1512/07/2012

Don't give her stuff back. If you did, it would make her an "Indian giver", and the Mayans wouldn't like that.

by Anonymousreply 1612/07/2012

Ah feck, I'm going out for a fancy lunch that day. Couldn't they postpone until the 22nd?

by Anonymousreply 1712/07/2012

OP, you're funny.

by Anonymousreply 1812/07/2012

[quote] the world won't end when the Mayans' [5,250 year] calendar has finished.. it just means that a new one begins. The era is over, and a new era begins.

It's too bad the Earth isn't old enough to have tested your theory.

by Anonymousreply 1912/07/2012

[quote] My sister is certain the world will end then. She's giving all her shit away, and I've gotten some cool Mexican folk art from her.

by Anonymousreply 2012/07/2012

They're in for a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 2112/07/2012

You were correct the first time.

by Anonymousreply 2212/07/2012

I love all the Bible freaks who are convinced the world will end on 12/21/12 They don't even believe what's in the book, they supposedly follow in Mark it says, pertaining to the end of times "But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father"

by Anonymousreply 2312/07/2012

Yep, the bible freaks thought the new millennium would be the end too. They love a good apocalypse, whether it's biblical or not.

by Anonymousreply 2412/07/2012

If I don't win a fucking award in the next week, you better believe the world will end on 12/21!

by Anonymousreply 2512/07/2012

Oh how fun. My family is celebrating Christmas on the 21st because my sister's in town that week. At least I'll have lots of wine and yummy Mexican food for my last meal.

by Anonymousreply 2612/07/2012

I'm sorry, the 21st is not convenient for me. I'll have to re-schedule.

by Anonymousreply 2712/08/2012

[quote]Ahead of December 21, which marks the conclusion of the 5,125-year "Long Count" Mayan calendar, panic buying of candles and essentials has been reported in China and Russia, along with an explosion in sales of survival shelters in America. In France believers were preparing to converge on a mountain where they believe aliens will rescue them.

The precise manner of Armageddon remains vague, ranging from a catastrophic celestial collision between Earth and the mythical planet Nibiru, also known as Planet X, a disastrous crash with a comet, or the annihilation of civilisation by a giant solar storm.

In America Ron Hubbard, a manufacturer of hi-tech underground survival shelters, has seen his business explode.

"We've gone from one a month to one a day," he said. "I don't have an opinion on the Mayan calendar but, when astrophysicists come to me, buy my shelters and tell me to be prepared for solar flares, radiation, EMPs (electromagnetic pulses) ... I'm going underground on the 19th and coming out on the 23rd. It's just in case anybody's right."

[more at link]

by Anonymousreply 2812/08/2012

My father, who was 92, said that his sole aim in life was to live until the Mayan end of the world. Alas, he died last year. We sort of thought about talking him out of it, but he was really enthusiastic about seeing the end; it gave him, bizarrely, something to live for!

by Anonymousreply 2912/08/2012

I am certain I will be the Megamillions lottery winner on 12/21/12!

by Anonymousreply 3012/08/2012

Well the webmaster hasn't replied to my email requesting my contributor ID (I have no access to the original email I signed up with earlier in the year).

Surely, the world is ending.

by Anonymousreply 3112/08/2012

Enid, did you get the new calendar yet? This one's just about finished.

by Anonymousreply 3212/09/2012

For real, 31? That sounds kind of weird.

You do realize that the planets line up on the 21st?

by Anonymousreply 3312/09/2012

My contributor ID was copied to a text file and placed in my text folder, which is backed up on multiple external hard drives.

by Anonymousreply 3412/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 3512/09/2012

I wish I would have done that R34. When my browser updated itself, it wiped out my cookies. I deleted the email address awhile back because it was being repeatedly hacked into, so I can't have the ID resent to me. It really sucks but I suppose it's my own fault.

Had I known, I would have saved the $18 and used it to buy peanut butter, bottled water, and tinfoil when the apocalypse happens.

by Anonymousreply 3612/09/2012

Patric Moore

by Anonymousreply 3712/09/2012

In '99 I worked with a lesbian who was obsessed with Y2K.

She bought land in Montana and stocked it with a wood stove and a hand cranked washer and similar appliances that didn't rely on power to use. She bought books like When There is no Doctor and When There is No Dentist or something like that. She bought hunting rifles and a pistol or two and spent hours on the shooting range. She wanted to make sure she could kill anyone who tried to take her homestead.

She was also born again. She'd talk about her women's church group and how uplifting the meeting was, then in the same breath talk about how she fired off 5,000 rounds in practice.

She quit her job in the October before Y2K to hunker down for the end of the world and we never heard from her again.

by Anonymousreply 3812/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!