Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

30+ Examples of Heterosexual Privilege in the US

Following is a list of examples of heterosexual privilege. If you are heterosexual (or in some cases, perceived to be), you can live without ever having to think twice, face, confront, engage, or cope with anything listed below. These privileges are granted to you, and many of them are things you’ve likely taken for granted. (Otherwise known as the “Why it’s easier to be straight” list.)

1.Immediate access to your loved one in case of accident or emergency.

2.Public recognition and support for an intimate relationship (e.g., congratulations for an engagement).

3.Expressing affection in most social situations and not expecting hostile or violent reactions from others.

4.Living with your partner and doing so openly.

5.Expressing pain when a relationship ends from death or separation and receiving support from others.

6.Receiving social acceptance by neighbors, colleagues, and good friends.

7.Learning about romance and relationships from fiction movies and television.

8.Having role models of your gender and sexual orientation.

9.Having positive and accurate media images of people with whom you can identify.

10.Expecting to be around others of your sexuality most of the time. Not worrying about being the only one of your sexuality in a class, on a job, or in a social situation.

[italic](twenty more or so at the link)[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 2512/11/2012

11.Talking openly about your relationship, vacations, and family planning you and your lover/partner are doing.

12.Easily finding a neighborhood in which residents will accept how you have constituted your household.

13.Raise, adopt, and teach children without people believing that you will molest them or force them into your sexuality.

14.Working in traditionally male or female dominated job and not feeling as though you are a representative of your sexuality.

15.Paid leave from employment when grieving the death of your spouse.

16.Not being asked “how does sex work for you?” or other too-personal questions by strangers.

17.Sharing health, auto and homeowners’ insurance policies at reduced rates.

18.Not having to hide or lie about women/men only social activities.

19.Acting, dressing, or talking as you choose without it being a reflection on people of your sexuality.

20.The ability to teach about lesbians, gay men, and bisexuals without being seen as having a bias because of your sexuality or forcing a “homosexual agenda” on students.

by Anonymousreply 112/07/2012

Not having members of other minority groups bash you as a way to gain favor with the majority.

by Anonymousreply 212/07/2012

21.Property laws, filing joint tax returns, inheriting from your spouse automatically under probate laws.

22.Joint child custody.

23.Going wherever you wish and know that you will not be harassed, beaten, or killed because of your sexuality.

24.Not worrying about being mistreated by the police or victimized by the criminal justice system because of your sexuality.

25.Legal marriage to the person you love.

26.Knowing that your basic civil rights will not be denied or outlawed because some people disapprove of your sexuality.

27.Expect that your children will be given texts in school that support your kind of family unit and they will not be taught that your sexuality is a “perversion.”

28.Freedom of sexual expression without fear of being prosecuted for breaking the law.

29.Belonging to the religious denomination of your choice and know that your sexuality will not be denounced by its religious leaders.

30.Knowing that you will not be fired from a job or denied a promotion based on your sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 512/07/2012

Summed up in two words: social validation.

Nice to see it so clearly laid out though for the straights who can't be bothered thinking it through for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 612/07/2012

Well gay men are second class citizen, and homophobia isn't just tolerated it's pretty much encouraged by all the major institutions, so I guess you just have to deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 712/07/2012

That's pretty lame fucking list. When was it written? Some of it seems out dated.

by Anonymousreply 812/07/2012

We need to stop pitting us vs. the hets, cease harping on all of these supposed differences, and take control of our lives. Playing the whiny victim all the f-ing time is not constructive and doesn't engender respect from the hets.

by Anonymousreply 912/07/2012

Hard to articulate as a list item, but Just general culture acceptance and absence of minority stress.

I occasionally shop or run errands with my sister who has very small kids. When people see us in a shop or wherever, they have no reason not to think we're a young hetero couple.

Everyone--from people we chat with to cashiers, clerks, waiters, whatever--is so fucking nice, much more friendly than when I'm out with my partner. I'm always like, "Wow. This must be what life is like for straight people." Straights have it waaaay easy and don't even know it imho.

This is in a "gay-friendly" major American city btw.

by Anonymousreply 1012/07/2012

[quote]Playing the whiny victim all the f-ing time is not constructive and doesn't engender respect from the hets.

Perhaps. But pretending that discrimination doesn't exist or feeling that we can't discuss it for fear of losing the respect of our straight masters seems like an equal danger.

This shit is real, and shrieking that disfavored minorities are "playing victim" when they're simply giving plain-spoken explanations of the discrimination they face is far more dangerously counter-productive imho.

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2012

R10, just be thankful you don't have to go home with those kids.

by Anonymousreply 1212/07/2012

LOL, r12. True that.

by Anonymousreply 1312/07/2012

R9, spoken like a son of privilege.

by Anonymousreply 1412/11/2012

[quote]Odd. I must live in a happy bubble of acceptance. I can relate to a few of these, and know others struggle, but I'm able to live my life happily and openly among friends and neighbors .

Yes dear, you are in a happy bubble. Not everyone around you approves of your 'lifestyle choice', and you are not in a position to need medical/hospital/property benefits from your BF, assuming you've ever had one.

Just because you're in denial, doesn't mean these aren't real issues. It's people like you who hold us back.

by Anonymousreply 1512/11/2012

See, R4, denial. And you were called out on it...and you get hostile and recommend being gay bashed.

How's that bubble working out for you dear?

by Anonymousreply 1712/11/2012

R19 = bigot

by Anonymousreply 2012/11/2012

R19 what church do you go to?

by Anonymousreply 2112/11/2012

R22 = nutcase bigot

by Anonymousreply 2312/11/2012

Wow r22 sounds like a great big fat person

by Anonymousreply 2412/11/2012

31. Being allowed to donate blood.

by Anonymousreply 2512/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!