Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obama supporters fear their rent will rise after manager makes threats

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - A Colorado Springs apartment manager threatens to raise the rent of anyone who voted to re-elect President Barack Obama.

John Obringer sent out a letter to his tenants at the Casa Adobe Apartments on Wednesday. The letter was addressing cutbacks on staff and maintenance issues.

"Due to the stupidity of the U.S. electorate, the Obama-administration's continued assault on small business is resulting in increased taxes, regulations and mandates that are forcing the management company (B&J Enterprises, Inc.) for Casa Adobe Apartments to modify its operation to survive. This has resulted in layoffs, work-time reductions and decreased pay for workers. Consequently, the business hours are now Monday and Tuesday from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Please plan accordingly ... We are working hard to maintain the field, cleaning and maintenance personnel in place without raising rents, but that too is inevitable due to the upcoming inflation and market forces," writes Obringer.

"If you have any questions, comments or criticisms, please call me. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and Happy Holidays to you and yours," continues Obringer.

Then he added, "BTW: If you voted "Democrat" on Nov. 6, please notify me ASAP so I can raise your rent first to help pay for what you asked for."

"I think it's wrong. That's your constitutional right to vote for who you want," said a tenant who wished to hide her identity.

She went on to tell KRDO News Channel 13 that Obringer had already threatened to kick her out for voting for President Obama.

But her neighbor, who also wished to hide her identity, came to Obringer's defense. "It's just John. He's kind of a quirky landlord," she said.

So far, the tenants said nothing has changed. But the future is up in the air.

Obringer refused our requests for an on-camera interview.

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2012

good grief, will the insanity every stop?

by Anonymousreply 112/07/2012

Isn't this just clearly illegal? If it isn't, it should be. And whatever the case, I'd look for another apartment.

by Anonymousreply 212/07/2012

These people are idiots. You do not know who anyone voted for unless they had huge signs out.

by Anonymousreply 312/07/2012

He forgot to include one important part in his letter: "So now, after years of milking every last cent out of this place and paying my employees pittance wages, I am forced to place the blame for my mismanagement of the organization on the president of the United States."

by Anonymousreply 412/07/2012

Unfortunately, "political affiliation" is not a protected status under the federal fair housing law. (The protected statuses are race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and familial status.)

State law (Colorado Anti-Discrim.  Act)  also covers "creed" but that is akin to "religion." I did not find any local (city or county) ordinance  that would help...

I think he's just being full of shit. He would not be able to raise the rent before the end of lease anyway. They really should move if they can..... Asshole!

by Anonymousreply 512/07/2012

How will he know who voted for Obama?

by Anonymousreply 612/07/2012

R7 = Mitt Romney

by Anonymousreply 812/07/2012

Crazy people come in all sizes and shapes. This one is a landlord and probably has opened himself to legal action if he carries out his "threats". Voting is anonymous- by law.

by Anonymousreply 912/07/2012

[quote]Unfortunately, "political affiliation" is not a protected status under the federal fair housing law. (The protected statuses are race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and familial status.)

Doesn't cover sexual orientation either of course. The feds are fine with you kicking out a family for having gay parents. Thanks feds!!! You rock as usual.

by Anonymousreply 1012/07/2012

I notice he doesn't say he's going to let any of the Democrats out of their leases.

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!