Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey makes people throw up!

People at an advanced screening of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey complained of dizziness, nausea and motion sickness before throwing up all over the theater.

The reason is that the movie is filmed at a 240 frame rate per second, almost twice the frame rate of other movies. This results in jerky movements, fast motion, and everything appearing to be moving at a fast-forward speed. Combined with 3D effects, it creates vomit-inducing results. A very unexpected journey indeed.

by Anonymousreply 1212/07/2012

I've got the shits!

by Anonymousreply 112/07/2012

I'm going to see The Hobbit in HFR 3D next week with my beloved. I've heard a lot of people talking about this new technology, and there are people that liked it and people that didn't. My friends told me that the HFR is distracting, but nobody complained about dizziness or something else. I think that you have to see it for yourself to judge it, after all. Fast camera motion is not for everybody, that's for sure!

by Anonymousreply 212/07/2012

Plenty of negative reviews for the 48fps but not one mentions motion sickness or anything.

Jackson's being very stubborn and not accepting the criticisms, saying that people under 20 think it's great.

I'll be seeing it next week but I still haven't decided in what format.

by Anonymousreply 312/07/2012

I saw the 48 FPS version at a press screening. I would actually like to see an adult, non-SFX kind of movie made in this process. It's unbelievably "real" and immediate. I personally think it's a stunning advancement. (And it didn't make me at all nauseous, FWIW.)

BUT, making this particular film with this technology is disastrous. It just serves to underscore how fake these sorts of enterprises are. You need the romance and distance of film to surrender yourself to the world. This is like watching high school kids in silly costumes and fake beards. It DESTROYS the suspension of disbelief that this sort of world requires.

I honestly don't think it's a good movie to begin with, but the 48 FPS just makes it worse.

by Anonymousreply 412/07/2012

So it looks like home movies or soap operas?

by Anonymousreply 512/07/2012

Were Lee Pace and Richard Armitage hand in hand or not?

by Anonymousreply 612/07/2012

I know how they feel.

by Anonymousreply 712/07/2012

I vomited on the guy in front of me. He was such a nerd that he didn't want to get up and miss the movie so he just sat there in my puke.

by Anonymousreply 812/07/2012

"the movie is filmed at a 240 frame rate per second"

Oh, dear.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 912/07/2012

I saw it two days ago at an Academy screening. It looked amazing. It was probably the most beautiful 3D film I've ever seen and it did not make me sick. It's a remarkable feat of filmmaking, but I agree that the story is rather weak (and loooong). However, it should be seen for the advancement in 3D technology this is. The scenes with Gollum are so real it's incredible.

by Anonymousreply 1012/07/2012

I totally agree, r10. But, I did throw up during the spider scene.

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2012

How many different fucking threads are we going to have on this topic? I've counted three this week alone, and the film hasn't even opened yet!

by Anonymousreply 1212/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!