Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

First Lady Generating Senate Buzz In Illinois, Poll Shows

Illinois has voiced the "Obama For Senate" call before, but according to one poll, the Prairie State may want to repeat it — for Michelle.

In a Dec. 5 roundup of Illinois poll data, Public Policy Polling said Michelle Obama leads Sen. Mark Kirk in a hypothetical 2016 Senate matchup.

The polling firm said the first lady leads Kirk 51-40 in the could-be race. Kirk's approval rating, according to voters polled, is 34 percent, with a disapproval rating of 19 percent. Meanwhile, Michelle Obama tops out with a 60 percent approval rating, with a 33 percent disapproval.

The first lady even surpasses her husband in popularity in their home state: President Obama's approval rating is 57 percent positive among Illinois voters.

With her September speech at the Democratic National Convention, the first lady electrified the crowd much the way her husband did when delivering the keynote speech at the 2004 convention (and of course, we know what happened there).

Still, the first lady has insisted political ambitions are non-existent in her post-White House plans. During the White House's "Take Your Daughters And Sons To Work Day” event in April, she answered "absolutely not" when a young attendee asked if she would ever run for president, reports ABC News.

(Watch Michelle Obama's full response to whether she'll seek office.)

The polling results were revealed the day prior to the announcement that Kirk plans to return to Congress on Jan. 3, almost one year after he suffered a major stroke.

by Anonymousreply 2212/08/2012

OK for the senate, but she does not have the mindset to run for President.

by Anonymousreply 212/07/2012

Has any sitting present ever had his first lady in office as well?

by Anonymousreply 312/07/2012

[quote] she does not have the mindset to run for President.

This whole mindset is ridiculous and IMHO, shit stirring.

Michelle has stated repeatedly and unequivocally that she has NO ASPIRATIONS to run for political office. She is quite content doing what she's doing.

This is the media trying to create buzz and trying to create a story, where there IS no story.

Michelle will only be 52 years old when Obama finishes his second term, and I have a feeling that she will continue with her speaking engagements and community action efforts.

First and foremostly (as mentioned ad nauseum by the reich wing), Michelle and Barack are community organizers, trying to mobilize people to improve their political, social, and economic situations.

In other words, their life before, during, and after the White House will be focused on the exact same thing. Trying to make life better for the average American.

by Anonymousreply 412/07/2012

She didn't even want to be First Lady. This woman isn't interested in anything political.

by Anonymousreply 512/07/2012

She's got great arms

by Anonymousreply 712/07/2012

I don't see her wanting to be in the Senate, but if she changes her mind, she'd win handily and would represent the people of Illinois very well.

And anyone who calls her that uppity black woman, no matter what color they are, is a racist piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 812/07/2012

R7, after you.

by Anonymousreply 912/07/2012

Serfs are attracted to shiney objects.

I hope this fad of political spouses taking office ends with Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 1012/07/2012

No, R10, I'd be most happy if you'd do the grease fire high dive.

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2012

Out with Billary, in with Barchelle for 2016.

by Anonymousreply 1212/07/2012

This serf knows how to spell shiny. You type stupid. Regardless, I'm not sure why you needed to inject classism into the discussion. The racism behind debating the correctness of Michelle Obama's "mindset" wasn't enough for you?

I'm fine with "political spouses" seeking office, as long as they are qualified to do so. Hillary was never unqualified. Michelle is debatable, but I'm with those who say she probably doesn't want it. She's very personable and connects well with people, but she doesn't strike me as a policy wonk type or one who could play dirty in a tough campaign. She seems to like being above the fray.

by Anonymousreply 1312/07/2012

[quote]She is a bit of a Bimbo, not hardcore Laura Bush Bimbo class, but still....

Princeton University and Harvard Law. Assistant to the Mayor of Chicago, Assistant Commissioner of Planning and Development, Executive Director of the Chicago Office of Public Allies, Associate Dean of Student Services at the University of Chicago, Vice President for Community and External Affairs at the University of Chicago Hospital.

You're a moron.

by Anonymousreply 1412/07/2012

That's just R1/6/10/13 trying to start shit.

by Anonymousreply 1512/07/2012

[quote]This whole mindset is ridiculous and IMHO, shit stirring. Michelle has stated repeatedly and unequivocally that she has NO ASPIRATIONS to run for political office. She is quite content doing what she's doing.

Precisely this.

by Anonymousreply 1612/08/2012

I find her to be more articulate than her husband.. Obama stutters a little too much and says to many " uh, uhs" betwen thoughts whereas words come more easily for her and she's able to express herself better. She definitely is not a bimbo and has the smarts, talent and warmth to be a good politician but she doesn't have the ambition or hard shell of a Hilary.

by Anonymousreply 1712/08/2012

If you mean that she is not cold and shrill like Hillary and actually has a real, successful marriage, then I agree. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 1812/08/2012

I am strongly opposed to political dynasties on principle but I gotta admit, mouthbreather Chicago Democrat that I am, I'd happily cast a vote for Michelle - especially vs. a schmuck like Mark Kirk. Having said that I absolutely believe that she's not interested in running for office.

by Anonymousreply 1912/08/2012

Been there, done that...

by Anonymousreply 2012/08/2012

If she decides to run for anything, ever, in Illinois she will likely win. And she'd probably do a fine job.

It's bizarre to talk about her being "unqualified," even for the Senate, when we have dimwit favorite son Rand Paul serving and Christine O'Donnell having been nominated and supported by the Teabag GOP in 2010.

Hillary Clinton could have been a "Senator-for-Life" in New York, if she had wanted to be.

And, for that matter, the "joke" candidate Al Franken has distinguished himself as a very fine liberal Senator four years into his term; he's likely to be re-elected.

Go for it, Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 2112/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.