Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What did Anne Hathaway lose today?

POOR DEAR

by Anonymousreply 1512/07/2012

Nothing. In fact, the reviews for Les Mis are starting to come in and they're quite good to say the least.

The usually crotchety Chris Tookey of the Daily Mail: "This isn’t just the most ambitious British film of all time, it’s quite possibly the best. With imaginative cinematography, sets, costumes and make-up, Les Miserables deserves more Oscars than Titanic.......Five stars? I’d happily give it ten."

by Anonymousreply 112/06/2012

We don't read the daily mail.

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2012

You do mean the Daily Fail, don't you, dear?

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2012

Oh, but when one good thing comes, a not-so-good thing follows:

Today, in Yeehaw Junction, Florida, the Yeehaw Filmgoers Committee revealed the first of their prestigious annual awards, The Yeehaws. Up first:

Best Performance by an Actress Named Anne Hathaway (Funded by Anne Hathaway and Donors Like You).

The award went to Keira Knightly for Anna Karenina.

Poor Anne Hathaway just can't win.

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2012

Ugly incident today during Anne's return from London: upon arrival at Newark airport Anne marched up to the Burger King in Termial B and said "I want a whooper, fries, and a coke and make sure none of the darkys touch my food!"

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2012

Okay then, from the Telegraph and its 5 star review:

"Do you hear the people sing? Stand outside any cinema in just over one month’s time and you will. Tom Hooper’s screen adaptation of Les Misérables is a heart-soaring, crowd-delighting hit-in-waiting: the Mamma Mia it’s all right to like.....the showstopper is Hathaway. When she half-sings, half-sobs I Dreamed A Dream, hair cropped and eyes shining like Maria Falconetti, Hooper captures her performance in a single, unblinking, breath-catching close-up. This will be the clip they show before she wins her Oscar."

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2012

I was so glad to see this thread because I'm one of the DL Freeloaders who won't pay to start a thread and I have to say I am sooooo sick and tired of reading every single day about Hathaway's weight loss for this film. Every bloody day there's another interview with a quote about her weight loss - who gives a flying fuck, Anna Banana?! Did De Niro go on and on and on about his weight gain for "Raging Bull"? NO! Shut the fuck up about your body weight - apparently that's all you took from the experience of making this movie. Nobody cares that you lost a lot of weight!

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2012

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 812/06/2012

The only thing she's lost is her dignity.

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2012

amen, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2012

We don't read ANY British papers.

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2012

Baz Bamigboye from the Fail also gives it 5 stars, and called Jackman’s work “the screen performance of his career”

The Guardian and Times reviews were more restrained, both 3 out of 5 stars.

by Anonymousreply 1212/07/2012

Les Miserables is getting the best reviews than any other film!

by Anonymousreply 1312/07/2012

From Variety's lukewarm overall review:

"Hathaway's turn is brief but galvanic. Her rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream," captured in a single take, represents the picture's high point, an extraordinary distillation of anguish, defiance and barely flickering hope in which the lyrics seem to choke forth like barely suppressed howls of grief. Hathaway has been ripe for a full-blown tuner showcase ever since she gamely sang a duet with Jackman at the Oscars in 2009, and she fulfills that promise here with a solo as musically adept as it is powerfully felt."

by Anonymousreply 1412/07/2012

It is an acting award r14...not American Idol.

by Anonymousreply 1512/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.