Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy

Im a fan of both and am pretty good at paying along with the tv. Family and friends have encouraged me to go on Jeopardy but I see people win more money on Wheel.

Has anyone been a contestant on either?

by Anonymousreply 2610/09/2014

I've never been on Jeopardy, but a friend of a friend who's a factoid expert bombed because he couldn't get the hang of the buzzer. It doesn't matter how much you know - if you don't get into the buzzer rhythm you're outta there.

by Anonymousreply 112/06/2012

When I lost on "Jeopardy," my completely unsympathetic mother told me I should have gone on "Wheel of Fortune."

This was back when only the Jeopardy winner got to keep their final money total.

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2012

Dorothy didn't make it.

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2012

My mom and I went to a taping of Wheel. It looks so easy sitting at home in your living room, but I honestly think it'd be very difficult to be a live contestant. Everything was very fast paced and I think it'd be a lot to process while trying to keep cool and focused.

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2012

I lost on Jeopardy back in the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2012

I don't know if they still weed out gay contestants as was protocol when Merv was alive. I've never heard of or seen gay partners of contestants on either show.

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2012

My friend told me the same thing as R1

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2012

r6, I just saw one on Wheel earlier this year. This queeny gay guy got to the bonus round, Pat asked who was there with him, and he said "my partner (so-and-so)." He won the puzzle, his partner came racing up to the stage and hugs him tightly, and Pat get this look on his face and literally said, "I gotta get out of here!" and walked off camera. it was so unexpected and a bit offensive, even if he thought he was being "funny".

by Anonymousreply 812/07/2012

[quote] and a bit offensive

Just a bit?

by Anonymousreply 912/07/2012

I was on "Jeopardy!" and came in second place.

i responded to a contestant call and showed up. About 200 of us did a written test (not multiple choice). There were a lot of questions and they told us that many of us wouldn't finish in time, which was true. Don't remember how long we had to take it. Then they took it away and scored it while we had soft drinks.

The contestant coordinators returned and kept about 40-50 of us (we didn't get the tests back). Then we were put up in groups of three, told to pretend we were on the show and asked our names, jobs, etc. When it was over, they said we'd only hear from them if we were chosen, and it could be up to six months.

I got a call within a month. When I showed up, we were there to shoot a whole week of shows in one day There were about 12 or 13 of us -- two new contestants for each day, plus a couple of spares (you didn't know if you were a spare). We were briefed backstage and filled out legal forms swearing we had nothing to do with the production, hadn't been given the answers, etc.

Just before we walked out to the studio, they announced the first day's contestants and I was one of them. I was happy at first that I wasn't going to be a spare until we went to the studio and I saw the other contestants would be sitting in the audience and would have the advantage of watching how the game was played in person... (cont'd)

by Anonymousreply 1012/07/2012

(cont'd) They put me and the other new contestant at podiums. The previous winner was already up there. Since the audience was already in their seats and had been for some time, the prep went quickly.

We got the chance to try the buzzers and were warned they wouldn't go "live" NOT when the answer appeared on the game board, but when Alex Trebek began reading the question. There was a light on the back of the podiums that contestants could see; when it lit up, the buzzer was live. If you pushed the buzzer early, you were locked out for a couple of seconds, and the producers warned us not to keep pressing the buzzer out of panic or frustration, because it would just keep locking us out. We all tried our buzzers and made sure they were working.

The game started and Trebek walked out (it was the first we'd seen him) and we started playing. When it came time for a commercial break, they actually stopped the game for the amount of time it took to run the commercial, so the 60 or 90 second breaks you see on TV are real time. There was no small talk between the other contestants or Trebek. We just sort of stood there awkwardly until the lights and the music came up again.

I did great during the first round, but the other new contestant kept screwing up her buzzer to the point where they came and checked it before Double Jeopardy started. In the second round, the champion got on a streak and left me in the dust. The other new contestant sort of gave up.

We all got Final Jeopardy correct, but the champion won. When it was over, we made small talk with Trebek until the cameras were off and he just walked off abruptly. Then we went backstage and had to fill out tax forms immediately before we could even get a drink of water or go to the bathroom while the second game started. Then I left -- in and out in about two hours.

Over the next few months, I got consolation prizes in the mail. Most of them were single bottles or boxes of a product like floor wax, with a $50 or $100 check "courtesy of Turtle Wax" or whatever. The exception was a case of pasta noodles which had to have had 48 1-pound boxes of macaroni.

It was fun, and I got about $2000 in cash and gifts.

by Anonymousreply 1112/07/2012

R10/r11 when was this? Was it a recent or years ago?

by Anonymousreply 1212/07/2012

[quote]Im a fan of both and am pretty good at paying along with the tv.

Are you sure? Wheel of Fortune is an exceptionally difficult game that requires great intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 1312/07/2012

r12 - Around 2000, I can't remember exactly. I only saw the show the first time it aired but people told me they saw it again more than a year later.

Before Final Jeopardy, an assistant came around and pulled up these little panels between the podiums so we couldn't see what the other contestants were writing on the glass. It was long before signing your name on the glass plates on credit card terminals was a common thing. I remember writing my name and the Final Jeopardy answer on the glass panel on the podium, and it felt very futuristic.

by Anonymousreply 1412/07/2012

"I've never been on Jeopardy, but a friend of a friend who's a factoid expert bombed because he couldn't get the hang of the buzzer. It doesn't matter how much you know - if you don't get into the buzzer rhythm you're outta there."

I was on Jeopardy and I bombed because of the buzzer, too. You definitely have to be good at ringing in first - it isn't enough to just know all the answers.

However, you get $1000 just for coming in third. The second place finisher gets about $2000 or $3000.

OP, if you get a chance to try out you should go for it. I had a lot of fun.

R6, they don't "weed out" gay people. I'm gay and I know other gay people who have been on the show.

by Anonymousreply 1512/07/2012

Bumping an old thread, but I have a random Wheel of Fortune question: How easy is it to spin the wheel? Do they warn you not to give it too hard of a spin?

by Anonymousreply 1610/06/2014

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 1710/06/2014

Great story R17!

by Anonymousreply 1810/06/2014

Um, yeah. I'm under 70 so I don't watch wheel of fortune or jealousy. I used to think I was an elder gay until this thread. Call me in 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 1910/06/2014

I was also on Jeopardy! I taped the show in August or September of 2009 and my episode aired that November. I came in third. Like others here I knew most of the questions but couldn't ring in fast enough most of the time. You definitely have to get the hang of the buzzer. I had a great time - try out if you get the chance.

by Anonymousreply 2010/06/2014

How very special for you, R19.

by Anonymousreply 2110/06/2014

My sister in law's brother is an egomaniac. He loves to introduce himself as Dr. Chuck because he is a pediatrician. He fancies himself quite the brain.

He went through the process and did appear on Jeopardy. He had everyone and their brother watching. He answered one question, then another. The second answer was incorrect and he froze for the rest of the show. HAHAHA! What a complete bust.

Sometimes there is justice.

by Anonymousreply 2210/06/2014

ALERT: Gay dude on Wheel tonight. Kinda cute. Let's see how Pat handles himself. ..

by Anonymousreply 2310/08/2014

We should encourage every gay and lesbian to try out for Wheel, just to piss off Pat!

by Anonymousreply 2410/08/2014

Yes, r23 - he even introduced his fiancée.

by Anonymousreply 2510/08/2014

My female friend won over 50 k on jeopardy.

My uncle won lots of stuff on wheel of fortune and paid a ton in taxes...not sure it was worth it for him.

But it was a lot of fun...he may have been on more than one day...this was ages ago.

Both these people have a genius IQ.

by Anonymousreply 2610/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.