Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's Barbara Eden supposed to be like?

I came across this clip of her talking about I Dream Of Jeannie and was struck by how affectionately she speaks about the show and her character. I would have thought by now he'd be so stale on the whole subject.

It made me wonder if she's as genuinely unspoiled as she seems.

by Anonymousreply 6112/07/2012

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2012

Met her once. She did not have to be nice, but she was extremely nice! Sweetheart!

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2012

She's supposed to be a darling woman, but she also likes her privacy. Bill Daly, who was Roger on IDOJ said that despite being on the show with her for all those years, he can't say that he knows her. He said they'd shoot their scenes and then Barbara would disappear into her trailer until she was needed again.. He said that on the other hand, Susanne Pleashette, who he did the Bob Newhart show with, was one of the guys.

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2012

The only time I saw her interviewed was after the death of her son. I was impressed by what I saw of her then.

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2012

What's the Harper Valley PTA character she refers to in the interview, anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2012

she starred in the short lived series based on the song

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2012

I watched one of those Lifetime bios they did on her. Her son was cute, but he became a heavy steroid abusing bodybuilder. He ended up overdosing on something. I think it was her only kid.

by Anonymousreply 812/06/2012

it was her only kid

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2012

I believe it was a heroin overdose. I seem to recall he had parked in the back of a gas station and by the time anyone saw him it was too late. Eden had tried to get help for him, but nothing had worked.

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2012

Wasn't there a rumor floating around that she would be availabe for private meeting with wealthy men?

by Anonymousreply 1112/06/2012

They filmed Harper Valley P.T.A. at my high school and Eden was rude to me.

Later, when her son with Michael Ansara committed suicide she confessed that she was a deliberately distant mother because she didn't want him to be gay. He turned into an emotionally stunted drug addict instead.

by Anonymousreply 1212/06/2012

He was a good-looking young man too. What a waste.

by Anonymousreply 1312/06/2012

It's her main claim to fame, why wouldn't she talk it up?

by Anonymousreply 1412/06/2012

Matthew Ansara was hot in a pro-wrestler way.

by Anonymousreply 1512/06/2012

I did a show with her a few years ago, she couldn't be lovelier or sweeter.

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2012

I've been watching a biography thing about her and numerous times her gay BF came on to talk bout her, so she's obviously not a homophobe.

She said at twelve her son chose to live with his father and that it was right for a boy to be with his father at that age.

by Anonymousreply 1912/06/2012

I wonder if Matthew was gay.

by Anonymousreply 2012/06/2012

Does anyone as old as me remember Barbara on the TV series of How to Marry a Millionaire? She played Loco, the Marilyn Monroe character and she was absolutely adorable.

I didn't see the show in its original run, which I guess was in the mid or late 1950s. But it was in endless reruns in the NYC area throughout most of the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 2112/06/2012

I read her autobiography and it was a very good read. She said when her son was a little boy, he would play with the neighbor kids and they would go to this guy's house who was a hippie. She said, the neighbor gave the kids pot ,and Barbara and her husband didn't know this was going on at the time. She said once he took pot, it opened the door to experiment which more drugs.

I never read in her autobiography that when she got a divorce, she left her son with his father because she did not want him to turn out gay. She said her son wanted to live with his father and she worked a lot and she wasn't around a lot. She said she will always regret that she didn't spend more time with her son.

by Anonymousreply 2212/06/2012

Did she also write about what happened with her second pregnancy, R22?

by Anonymousreply 2312/06/2012

When I was little I wanted to live in a bottle like hers.

by Anonymousreply 2412/06/2012

r22, I read her book as well, and I thought the son went to live with Michael Ansara (who didn't want to divorce and begged her to go to marriage counseling) because he didn't like the man she was hooking up with -- an abusive drug addict from Chicago.

Also, she wrote in her book that every man she ever encountered wanted to fuck her. That list included OJ Simpson, Tom Jones, Harry Belafonte, Sammy Davis Jr., JFK, et al. Of course, she was reserved and innocent and naive and wasn't having any of it.

At least she didn't say that Larry Hagman wanted to bang her, but she seemed to think that was only because he was so inexperienced and women made him nervous. Otherwise, he would have been all over her like the rest of them.

by Anonymousreply 2512/06/2012

Didn't she have to carry the 2nd baby to term, even though she knew it had died in the 6th month or something?

by Anonymousreply 2612/06/2012

No she lovingly called Hagman a kook, in which he was. After calling cut, she would be walking to her dressing room and she'd hear a commotion and it would Hagman peeing in a potted plant or something off the wall. Though she had great affection for him.

[quote]Wasn't there a rumor floating around that she would be availabe for private meeting with wealthy men?

No, she made perfectly clear in her book that she was what was called a "Good Girl" at the time. She missed many an opportunity. Her book was better than Tony Curtis's, that was just a run down of his IMBD page and who he fucked on each shoot.

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2012

Yes R26, I saw that on the Biography Channel show about her. Something similar happened to Suzanne Pleshette.

by Anonymousreply 2812/06/2012

R23, I think she said when she lost her baby in the second pregnancy, it was one of the key factors that broke up her marriage with Michael Ansara. R25, I stand corrected that is right. However, as I recall, her marriage to that cocaine addict creep in Chicago happened later on. She said that husband was friends with frank Sinatra, and its interesting that she didn't say a word about Frank Sinatra so I was wondering if Sinatra was a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 2912/06/2012

What did she say about Lucy?

by Anonymousreply 3012/06/2012

Although Desi was a wolf with her, Lucy LIKED her and helped her out during her week on the show. She even personally sewed some rhinestones into her dress so that Eden would "sparkle" and get the most out of her on-screen time. Eden discussed this in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 3112/06/2012

R30, she loved Lucy. She said Desi was hitting on her with Lucy in the same vicinity. Barbra on the other hand kept avoiding his advances and Lucy thanked Barbara for doing that. Lucy liked her a lot ,and helped sew Barbara's costume.

by Anonymousreply 3212/06/2012

Harper Valley PTA is a feature film based on the 1968 song of the same name recorded by country singer Jeannie C. Riley, written by Tom T. Hall. There was a subsequent short-lived television series in the early 80's. Barbara Eden starred in both projects.

The film is great and was very popular. It is well worth watching. Other than Jeannie, it was Barbara's best role.

by Anonymousreply 3312/06/2012

Well, Lucy made me change my costume 4 times and my hairdo twice!

by Anonymousreply 3412/06/2012

Marilyn played Pola. Betty Grable played Loco.

by Anonymousreply 3512/06/2012

Ooops, you're right r35!

But would you agree that Barbara played the Monroe role, in spite of the character's name? IIRC she had the same business with her eyeglasses.

by Anonymousreply 3612/06/2012

I loved IDOJ but Bewitched was always my fave. I was born in 75, so I barely remember Harper Valley PTA. It came on the same season as The Brady Brides IIRC. The character's name was Stella Johnson. That I do remember, not much else about the show though.

by Anonymousreply 3712/06/2012

R36, Barbara played Loco, but none of the other characters had the same name as the characters in the film, so I am not sure if they kept the name Loco but shifted it to the Marilyn character for the series.

by Anonymousreply 3812/06/2012

[quote]What did she say about Lucy?

by Anonymousreply 3912/06/2012

It seems she also gave an entire evening in a theater to discuss Lucy.

Barbara Eden 'I Remember Lucy' 8PM

by Anonymousreply 4012/06/2012

[quote]I loved IDOJ but Bewitched was always my fave.

Well, now you can have both. MeTV just announced their New Year schedule and "Bewitched" will be on at 8:00pm and "I Dream Of Jeannie" will follow at 8:30 M-F starting 12/21/12.

by Anonymousreply 4112/06/2012

[quote]When I was little I wanted to live in a bottle like hers.

On the final day of the recording of the show, someone said to her you have to keep the bottle! & it now stands in pride of place in her house.

by Anonymousreply 4212/07/2012

Hopefully Bewitched (and I Dream of Jeannie for that matter) will be showing the early black and white seasons. It seems like ME TV does not always have a show's complete run.

by Anonymousreply 4312/07/2012

by Anonymousreply 4412/07/2012

A lot of old military men saw Jeannie as a metaphor for Cold War sluts

by Anonymousreply 4512/07/2012

She carried around a dead fetus rather than abort it. She's very pro life.

by Anonymousreply 4612/07/2012

by Anonymousreply 4712/07/2012

The first two b&w seasons of Bewitched weren't shown in the original syndication, and they weren't necessary. They remade/recycled most of them in the 7th and 8th seasons with higher production values and better effects.

I'd almost be more interested in seeing I Dream of Jeannie again, because I'm really familiar with Bewitched, but haven't seen the Jeannie episodes in decades. It did seem like a dumbed-down, sexed-up, rip-off of Bewitched though, so I'm not sure I'd be able to stick with it.

by Anonymousreply 4812/07/2012

OH MY FUCKIN' GOD, he wasn't making it up....

BEHAR: Yes, that`s lovely. You also had a couple of stillborns, I believe, or something like that?

EDEN: I -- well, I carried a baby eight months dead.

BEHAR: Oh, my God.

EDEN: Because at that time they didn`t force the birth. And I thought I was fine. I thought, you know -- I went to the hospital where I had Matthew and all the nurses, you know, when I first walked in would say, you are back and then I`d say no and then I`d cry. But then once I had the baby, I thought, ok, on with it, you know, on with the next thing.

by Anonymousreply 4912/07/2012

I actually worked with her on s magazine shoot in the mid '09's

Nicest person in the world. The shoot was at her home. She was a gracious hostess making sure crew like me had water with lemon, beverages, food during the shoot.

Her husband was an interesting character. Obviously adored her, but drank beer from a can and hung out on the front lawn during the shoot to give her her time to work. They seemed like a happy couple.

Her neighbor was Tom Bosley of Happy Days fame (Richie's Dad). He came over in the afternoon to see what was going on with all the production trucks outside. Another sweetheart. Really nice guy and I even gushed to him I grew up watching Happy Days and he was so kind and generous.

After the shoot was over, Barbara brought out the holy grail...her bottle from I Dream of Genie. I almost collapsed when she passed it around to us and there it was.

And it was nothing more than a champagne bottle decorated to look like a "genie" bottle.

Barbara was a lovely woman. All class, an smoking hot for her age.

by Anonymousreply 5012/07/2012

Barbara is exactly what she appears to be. Warm, gracious and friendly. She clearly loved I Dream of Jeannie but she really lights up if you mention some of her other work as well.

She also has the patience of a saint. Hagman was not the easiest person to work with and she saved his job quite a few times.

by Anonymousreply 5112/07/2012

R51, how do you know that Hagman was difficult to work with and that she saved his job?

by Anonymousreply 5212/07/2012

The last couple of seasons of Bewitched did redo a lot of the earlier episodes (some of them word for word), but there were a number that they did not. In general, I thought the writing was a little more adult the first couple of seasons, and the B&W had the first and better Gladys Kravitz.

The B&W season of Jeannie seemed to be shown even less. From my memory, the first season had a bit of a different feel to it.

by Anonymousreply 5312/07/2012

[quote]OH MY FUCKIN' GOD, he wasn't making it up....

Sweetie, calm down. Millions of women have carried a still born.

by Anonymousreply 5412/07/2012

Just looked it up on imdb.

The TV series of How to Marry a Millionaire ran from 1957 to 1959 and besides Barbara as Loco (really a combo of the film's Monroe and Grable roles), it starred Merry Anders as Mike (the businesslike, sensible Lauren Bacall role), and Lori Nelson as Greta (no real counterpart in the film).

I don't think Anders or Nelson ever did much of note after the series.

by Anonymousreply 5512/07/2012

R52 it's in her book

by Anonymousreply 5612/07/2012

Met her, and she looks amazing for 78.

by Anonymousreply 5712/07/2012

You have to watch the first season of Bewitched in BW just to hear Endora say, "Young Man!"

by Anonymousreply 5812/07/2012

OMG, what a fabulous post R50.

& you saw THE BOTTLE! It's great that she brought it out for everyone to see. She's obviously really somethin'.

[quote] After the shoot was over, Barbara brought out the holy grail...her bottle from I Dream of Genie. I almost collapsed when she passed it around to us and there it was.

OMG, imagine if you'd dropped it.

by Anonymousreply 5912/07/2012

There were undoubtedly dozens of duplicate bottles over all those seasons.

by Anonymousreply 6012/07/2012

The Jeannie bottle was actually a painted Jim Beam whiskey decanter. You can buy some excellent replicas online.

by Anonymousreply 6112/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!