Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Femme lesbian needs hair advice. HELP!

I have a job interview and am in dire need of a hair makeover. I need to have a polished and professional appearance. I have beautiful hair, but it's very long - past the middle of my back.

I don't want to chop it all off, but at this point, it just hangs there. Maybe some layers?

I have been raising horses for the last 10 years, and it was never an issue - but now I need to kick things up a few notches. I'll be a "Charity Ambassador" , and will be dealing with a lot of VIPs.

Help a sister out!

Thanks..

by Anonymousreply 2612/07/2012

Wear it in a simple chignon. Do not drastically change your look for an interview-- if it turns out badly, you will lose confidence.

This YouTube should help you. Use a clean tooth brush and hair spray to tame any fly aways.

by Anonymousreply 112/06/2012

Get a professional trim, maybe 4 inches at most, clean up the split ends, then research ways to wear long hair up. buy some clips, bands etc. Practice different braids, weaves, buns. Nice hair worn up is pretty...and sexy when you take it down.

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2012

Look up pictures of Maria Shriver. She has really long and thick hair and it looks like she just uses a curling iron a bit in the front.

Then, go to YouTube and look up instructional videos on how to work a curling iron.

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2012

I like an elegant updo as much as the next gay, but I'm not sure this is the right time for OP to be experimenting with her "Black Swan" look.

OP, do go in for a good trim with a reputable stylist and ask her/him for advice. It might mean wearing it down and straight, or with a little curl.

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2012

R1 is right - wear your hair up.

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2012

You don't even say if it's straight or wavy. I don't think you really want help. I think you want to brag about a job interview that doesn't involve horse shit. So there!

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2012

The video might be too advanced: Make a ponytail. Tuck the ends into the elastic. You may have to wrap it around a couple of times to get it all in there. Use hairspray and bobby pins that match your hair.Or get it cut and risk a month of bad hair days.

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2012

I agree with all above who say you must get it trimmed, and it would be a good idea to have some long layers put in. Also, if your hair is dry, get a professional conditioning treatment while at the salon.

As far as the interview style, I vote for a low side pony, possibly with some sleek longer bangs.

Check out Jessica Alba in this pic. She looks interview ready.

by Anonymousreply 812/06/2012

R8, interview ready...for a casting couch. Tack-Y!

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2012

That look isn't the least bit tacky, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2012

OP, here in the Midwest, the following is a preferred approach to long hair:

by Anonymousreply 1112/06/2012

How about this updo?

by Anonymousreply 1212/06/2012

Thank you all for the advice, and a few laughs. I haven't had an interview in over a decade, so it's a bit scary, but also exciting. If I know I look good, I'll feel good.

So, a nice trim it is (a few inches), and I will experiment with a few chignons. I love how her hair looks in that video at R1.

The photo at R8 is what my hair looks like now, only thicker - but the length is the same. Not sure if a side pony would be professional enough.. ??

by Anonymousreply 1312/06/2012

Every woman who wears her hair long needs to have an establish relationship with a hair stylist and you should be seeing that stylist at least every six weeks for a trim.

I used to wear my hair very long when I was younger, but even long hair needs to be cut regularly to look healthy and minimize split ends, etc.

If you haven't been trimming it regularly, you're probably going to have to cut off 4-5 inches to get it to look good.

by Anonymousreply 1412/06/2012

OP

I'm linking to a picture of Maria Shriver for you. She has a huge head of thick and long hair. In the look she is working in the picture, you just get a big barreled curling iron and gently add your curls. You might want to use a wee bit of a light pomade as a setting lotion and then a bit of hairspray for the curls themselves (not your whole head).

The side ponytail thing is not for an interview period. It wasn't back in the 1980's, which is when that hairstyle originated, and it isn't now.

by Anonymousreply 1512/06/2012

Bumpits!

by Anonymousreply 1612/06/2012

It depends on how ugly you are.

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2012

A mohawk is an updo.

by Anonymousreply 1812/06/2012

do you shave your pits?

by Anonymousreply 1912/06/2012

Get a layered Liz Lemon cut.

by Anonymousreply 2012/06/2012

Can you tell if a naked woman is aroused?

by Anonymousreply 2112/06/2012

R19, she said she's a femme lesbian, so we can assume she shaves her pits.

by Anonymousreply 2212/06/2012

I don't really believe that when OP calls herself a "femme" she really means "cat lady with ratty ass-length cape of frizzled salt & pepper" hair, but I am willing to advance the theory for the sake of pointless bitchery.

by Anonymousreply 2312/06/2012

Business in the front. Party in the back.

by Anonymousreply 2412/06/2012

I recommend a simple updo, rather than attempting long curls or anything elaborate. For a job interview, you need to do something foolproof, something that will look good every time. A bumpit is probably a little too advanced for your present need, as is the do in R15's picture.

Since you're visiting a salon, you can ask your stylist to 1) show you how to do a simple updo yourself, and 2) ask how much it'd cost to come in and have your hair pinned up before the interview. At some places, that's really quite cheap.

by Anonymousreply 2512/07/2012

WTF, a bump it, elaborate updo's? She isn't going to the homecoming dance, people.

And that Maria Shriver do is too much hair and too much work. It does NOT only take a "bit" of pomade and spray to get soft long curls. It takes gallons of it if you don't want those the curls to fall out in an hour.

Sorry, the side pony is by far the best interview style. Sleek, contained, modern (uh, 80's? No), and allows the interviewer to focus on the face instead of a mane of unruly hair like the Shriver do.

by Anonymousreply 2612/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.