Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Whats with all these great female singers coming out of the UK?

We had Amy, then Adele and Florence. Recently heard Paloma Faith and now on the 4th hour of the Today Show is a gal named, Marina something I think. She blew me away. The only US singer I have heard recently is the gal from Alabama Shakes who I really love.

Rihanna, Katie, Mariah, Minage, Christina, no thank you.

The only solo male singer anywhere I like is Bruno Mars.

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2012

I haven't heard any of them sing and that goes for the Americans too. I quit listening to the radio a few years ago because Clear Channel was ruining it and playing the same shit over and over again plus the obnoxiously loud and annoying DJ's. Ipod all the way now.

by Anonymousreply 112/06/2012

American Music has become the Dollarama of Music.

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2012

Don't forget Emeli Sande.

Funnily enough, her real name is actually Adele as well, but she changed it for obvious reasons.

Emeli and the ones you mentioned are not only great singers, they're great songwriters too.

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2012

You are right about Emeli Sandy, loved. I see she had 22 million hits on one song on youtube

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2012

It is kind of ironic that a Brit (Simon Cowell) lead the destruction of the American Music industry. It is almost suspicion of sabotage.

To think if Simon Cowell never created American Idol, Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber would be flipping burgers instead. By Simon lowering the bar, all the trash came into the biz.

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2012

I think those Brit chicks you mentioned OP are pretty insipid and boring compared to some of my fav female artists, it's just US mainstream music is the very bottom of the barrel uber uber shit.

But there are awesome US female artist, you just need to go looking off the beaten track.

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2012

The top "Awesome Female Artist" in the USA today is Taylor Swift.

Case Closed!

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2012

Rihanna is from Barbados.

by Anonymousreply 812/06/2012

R7, just because she sells a lot of records, it does not mean she is any good.

R8, please have her sent back.

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2012

'Twas ever thus.

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2012

[R6] Adele might well be insipid but she accomplished what music insiders would have said is impossible before she did it.

by Anonymousreply 1112/06/2012

Jessie Ware is great too. Remind me of the Soul to Soul/Loose Ends sound.

by Anonymousreply 1212/06/2012

Don't forget Mica Paris!

by Anonymousreply 1312/06/2012

They're all rip-offs, OP. They're basically female impersonators. Adele ripped off Alison Moyet. Amy was one big rip-off of every black singer from the Motown era.

by Anonymousreply 1412/06/2012

Please delete this thread before the Cat Power troll turns up!

by Anonymousreply 1512/06/2012

Personally, I think Adele is way overrated. She just isn't that great of a singer.

by Anonymousreply 1612/06/2012

Haven't you spoken to any American, White Teenage girl R9? Taylor Swift is a "Living Beethoven".

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.