Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jim DeMint is LEAVING You Godless Bastards!

Jim DeMint is leaving congress to head the Heritage Foundation so he can "Get The GOP BACK ON TRACK!

Now, I have to go look up all the reasons why I really hated this guy.

by Anonymousreply 3312/07/2012

Is this good or bad?

Good = opens up a senate seat?

by Anonymousreply 112/06/2012

Bad = TeaCunt Nicki Haley appoints his successor.

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2012

oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2012

Translation: I don't have as much power anymore after the last election since the GOP isn't kowtowing to people like me. So I'm leaving and taking my toys with me.

Good riddance.

Yes, R1, it opens up a Senate seat, but since we're talking SC here, the next verse may not be that different than the DeMint verse.

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2012

How can someone so stupid head a "think tank"?

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2012

On the upside, after this election these douchebags are just digging the GOP in deeper and for a worse result in the next election.

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2012

because it's the Heritage Foundation.

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2012

His successor likely won't be any better, but he could hardly be worse.

by Anonymousreply 812/06/2012

Two good things with one stone. Gets the idiot out of the Senate and as head of the Heritage Foundation will insure that it becomes an disrespected fringe group.

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2012

This is great news! The Heritage Foundation will be completely discredited now. They had a veneer of respectability once, long years ago, even tho Conservative. I have never supported them or believed what they peddled, but they seemed almost rational compared to the Limbaughs & Becks. Now, with De Mint, they will leave the rational world altogether never to return! Whatever it may do to politics in SC, it certainly weakens Heritage Foundation.

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2012

R4 and R9 are spotton.

by Anonymousreply 1112/06/2012

He wants to be replaced by South Carolina's black Republican Congressman.

DeMint's a cynical creep.

by Anonymousreply 1212/06/2012

"The Heritage Foundation will be completely discredited now. They had a veneer of respectability once, long years ago, even tho Conservative."

Yes, long years ago. But they went off the deep end well before now, so I don't know why they would be any less respectable than they've been over the last 6-7 years. And Limbaugh has been a frequent speaker at their events.

DeMint just wants another job preaching to the converted without having to deal with Congressional negotiations. This way he can stay in his plastic ideological bubble even more hours of the day, without reality rearing its inconvenient head.

by Anonymousreply 1312/06/2012

According to the reports I read, Haley appoints a seatfiller until a special election can be held.

From The State:

[quote]Immediate speculation turned to U.S. Rep. Tim Scott, R-North Charleston, who, like DeMint, is a Tea Party favorite. Scott also is the only Republican African-American in the U.S. House. Other possible successors include U.S. Reps. Mick Mulvaney, R-Indian Land, and Trey Gowdy, R-Spartanburg.

[quote]Haley also could resign, elevating Lt. Gov. Glenn McConnell to governor as part of a deal that would entail McConnell then appointing her to the Senate. However, Haley has denied any Washington ambitions, and has started fundraising and preparing to run for re-election in 2014. Haley also could name a caretaker to the position, someone -- like former S.C. Attorney General Henry McMaster, a Haley ally -- who would agree to hold the post for two years but not seek election in 2014.

by Anonymousreply 1412/06/2012

Sounds like a Koch brothers takeover of the Heritage Foundation.

by Anonymousreply 1512/06/2012

Appointing Tim Scott would be the only good thing to come out of this. Next year we will have three Cuban Senators and one openly-lesbian Senator but not one African-American Senator.

by Anonymousreply 1612/06/2012

Wonder why he chose to leave just as a new session is beginning?

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2012

Perhaps somebody is looking into the wonky vote totals in his opponent's primary election.

by Anonymousreply 1812/06/2012

Now if only Vitter the shitter would leave

by Anonymousreply 1912/06/2012

No,no, no, no, he has a hint of DeMint, ya know what I'm saying?

by Anonymousreply 2012/06/2012

As a South Carolinian, I couldn't be happier for the demented DeMint to be leaving the Senate! I was hoping that Nikki Haley would appoint herself as Senator so we could get a different governor, but she knows she isn't qualified! I think there is much more to this than meets the eye! I think someone has confronted DeMint with information that would have ruined him and he agreed to resign! Something should be coming out about this in the near future! Care to bet??

by Anonymousreply 2112/06/2012

I think he just wants a higher paying job at the Heritage Foundation than he has in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 2212/06/2012

Dead girl or live boy?

by Anonymousreply 2312/06/2012

Jim DeMint says he'll wield more power as president of Heritage than as a U.S. senator: "There's no question about it."

by Anonymousreply 2412/06/2012

Senator Jim DeMint announced today that he was retiring from the Senate in order to run the conservative Heritage Foundation think tank.

He's also probably getting quite a raise.

DeMint does not have a particularly high net worth.

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, he's the third-poorest person in the Senate, worth only $16,000 and $65,000.

As a Senator, he makes $174,000 per year. At Heritage, he'll probably make at least $1 million.

We looked at the Heritage Foundation's Form 990 they submitted to the IRS for fiscal year 2010. In it, there's a listing of all salaries for members of the firm.

Then-President Edwin J. Feulner Jr. made a $1,025,922 annual salary, plus $66,161 annually from "related organizational" activities.

Feulner founded the organization in 1977. It runs on around $80 million per year.

Were DeMint to get that salary and benefits — he must have received a generous offer if he decided to leave the Senate for a think tank gig — it would be six times what he would be making now in the Senate.

He'd also earn his current maximum estimated net worth sixteen times a year.

DeMint told staffers at Heritage: "Leaving the Senate to become president of The Heritage Foundation is a big promotion." That's actually pretty accurate, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 2512/06/2012

Tim Scott is a closeted homosexual. South Carolina already has such a senator.

by Anonymousreply 2612/06/2012

R26 isn't kidding. I can't believe I didn't post it when I saw it, but on one of the news stories today about DeMint's replacement I read a snarky comment (from a left-leaning group) to the effect of the reason Tim Scott being a Republican for the same reason he's not married, e.g. that he's a self-loathing black gay man. I'd never heard of Scott before then, but I did some background checking and, sure enough, he's 47 and a never-married "confirmed bachelor." I have to say it'd be awfully amusing if a freeper state ended up giving us not one but *two* homosexualist senators.

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2012

[quote]Is this good or bad?

Good. DeMint is easily the most senior senator who directly affiliates himself with the Tea Party, good or bad; he's taken flack even in Republican circles for continuing to advocate for the likes of Akin and Mourdock even after their idiotic comments about rape. He's also directly responsible for "gumming up" a number of bills that would've otherwise passed the Senate with procedural issues, much in the same way House Republicans puerilely voted 33 times to repeal Obamacare just in the past year alone.

Frankly, I don't think his "resignation" was voluntary in the least - when was the last time a relatively young senator quit to join a fucking "think tank"? I'd say this was probably orchestrated by smarter Republicans who've accepted the fact that continued ties to the Tea Party, especially after nearly every major Tea Party-endorsed candidate lost BOTH of the past two national elections, are a hazard preventing the party from moving forward to bringing moderate voters back into the fold. You think it's a coincidence that Sheldon Adelson, who funded much of the GOP's super-PAC activity this year, recently announced he was "doubling down" and continuing to fund such activities? It wouldn't be shocking in the least if, say, KKKarl Rove offered DeMint a nice, tasty "severance package," funded by Adelson et al, if he quit the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 2812/06/2012

I get him confused with [italic]crème de menthe[/italic]. Both are archaic, nasty and should be flushed down the loo.

by Anonymousreply 2912/06/2012

[quote]when was the last time a relatively young senator quit to join a fucking "think tank"?

He's going to be making about $850,000 more a year than he is in the Senate, according to Politico. That's probably the main reason.

by Anonymousreply 3012/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 3112/06/2012

He brags often about his vast private sector experience as a job creator. How is it that such a capitalist scion at age 58 is worth just $40,000?

by Anonymousreply 3212/06/2012

I'm sure that that bastard got *busted* for something. I think he was told: go, quietly...or else! Trent Lott also decided [quite suddenly] that he didn't want to be a Senator anymore also.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

by Anonymousreply 3312/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!