Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is there really a thin line between love & hate?

Have you ever known someone that you positively could not stand, yet been keenly aware of an underlying sexual tension? Did you wind up fucking eventually?

by Anonymousreply 2412/11/2012

I loathe myself, yet I can't stop masturbating. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 112/06/2012

Duh

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2012

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2012

No stories? C'mon, you guys.

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2012

I'm straight and female. That pretty much eliminates my participation.

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2012

No. It is very rare for me to be attracted to someone I hate. I had an evil vicious college roommate who looked like Rupert Graves in Maurice and I didn't jerk off to a fantasy of him once, even though I fantasized about every other guy in the dorm. Evil really is a turnoff.

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2012

The person doesn't have to be evil for you to hate or dislike them.

Anyway, I have found this saying to be true on occasion. Years ago, there was a fellow college instructor who I absolutely could not stand. The word arrogant doesn't begin to describe him. We butted heads on a weekly basis, and once we nearly came to blows.

Within 3 months, we were having sex. Within a year, we were living together.

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2012

I think of it more in the reverse. It's usually your "loved ones" family, BFs, partners whom you get angry with.

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2012

There's a thick line between love and hate. The "love" that people are talking about here is just a hyper-emotional reaction that is confused for love by people who can't get beyond adolescent surges.

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2012

The Opposite Of love is indifference, not hate. It makes for good copy. On another note. I have always loved my iPod, but using it for the Internet is mKing me blind. Is there a patron saint for the miraculous healing of my Mac? I'll worship anything that doEsnt include feces or the devil. Thanks 4 listening

by Anonymousreply 1112/06/2012

No --

I think what most people mean when they say this is that they are initially attracted to someone, and then, as they find out more about the person, they find a wide divergence of attitudes, beliefs, etc., leading to conflict. So, they are stuck with the initial sexual attraction and the reality of person. IMO, this paradoxical feeling quickly devolves into hate.

Also, disagree that the opposite of love is indifference, not hate. Although this helps rejected lovers get over things - as they go from disbelief over the rejection, to anger (the hate part), to final acceptance.

Love is love and the opposite is hate. Although anger in a lover is often confused with hate.

by Anonymousreply 1212/08/2012

Agree with R12, especially the first paragraph. I think some people confuse the feelings that come from great sex with love and then later discover the sex is the only good thing about the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 1312/08/2012

[quote]yet been keenly aware of an underlying sexual tension? Did you wind up fucking eventually?

I believe you are confusing lust with love, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1412/08/2012

Yes, when you love someone and they cheat,lie and steal from you that love becomes hate rather quickly. Add to the fact that their blow jobs are becoming rather toothy as of late.

by Anonymousreply 1512/09/2012

Well, this thread became tedious extremely quickly, didn't it?

by Anonymousreply 1612/09/2012

A thin line for those suffering from borderline personality disorder.

by Anonymousreply 1712/09/2012

Love and hate go hand in hand like two brothers who go on a date.

by Anonymousreply 1812/10/2012

This thread became tedious because no one in their right mind agrees with this.

"in their right mind" being the key phrase.

There are those that love a person who mistreats them and they get angry whenever it becomes so obvious they have to deal with it. But, that's just a sick love.

I think OP is referring to an unconsumated attraction. I see it in the early phases before the other person's character reveals itself - but not long term.

by Anonymousreply 1912/10/2012

The line is very thin but we don't want to go there because we've already hurt someone and one is enough. Lonely. But. Enough is enough.

by Anonymousreply 2012/11/2012

We are not in our right mind when we are divided.

by Anonymousreply 2112/11/2012

Walter...There's a thin line between love and hate. And you're erasing it

by Anonymousreply 2212/11/2012

Slightly different point perhaps, but I have several times found that with guys I am lusting after, if I can't get any reciprocation, I want to hurt them. It's not revenge; it's that I want some kind of emotional connection, and if it can't be affection, hurt will do. Spooky and obsessive, I know.

by Anonymousreply 2312/11/2012

I agree with r23 - if sexual attention is not reciprocated, then it can devolve into hate very quickly. It's the scorned lover thing.

But, can you be sexually attracted to someone you despise otherwise? Not some sex worker - although we shouldn't judge.

But, in normal, every day life, you despise the person but still want to get it on with them. I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 2412/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.