Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New York Poll: Clinton yes, Cuomo no, for 2016

December 5th, 2012

(CNN) – A majority of New Yorkers say they would like to see Hillary Clinton run for president in 2016, according to a new poll.

And while a Siena College Research Institute survey indicates that most New Yorkers think that Andrew Cuomo, their governor, is doing a good job in office and are prepared to re-elect him in 2014, a plurality don't want him to run for the White House in 2016.

According to the poll, which was released Wednesday, 75% of Empire State voters say they have a favorable impression of the outgoing secretary of state, who represented her adopted home state of New York for eight years in the U.S. Senate. That's Clinton's highest favorable rating ever in a Siena survey.

By a 54%-39% margin, New Yorkers say she should run for president in four years. In 2008, then-Sen. Clinton lost an epic Democratic presidential nomination battle to then-Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois. Obama nominated Clinton as his secretary of state after winning the 2008 general election.

Clinton has repeatedly said that she intends to retire to private life once her successor as secretary of state is confirmed by the Senate, and she has added that another run for the White House is not in the cards for her.

"Look, I'm flattered. I am honored," she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer this year about calls by other Democrats for her to consider another run in 2016. "That is not in the future for me, but obviously I'm hoping that I'll get to cast my vote for a woman running for president of our country."

Cuomo, who was elected New York governor in 2010, has a 72% favorable rating, according to the poll, and 60% say he's doing an excellent or good job in office. Two-thirds of voters give him an excellent or good rating for his handling of Superstorm Sandy, which slammed into New York in late October, leaving parts of the state severely damaged. Sixty-two percent say they would re-elect Cuomo in 2014, when he's up for re-election as governor.

But only 39% of New York voters say Cuomo should run for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2016, with 49% saying he should not make a White House bid.

Cuomo is thought to be considering a possible run in the next presidential campaign. He's the son of former three-term New York Governor Mario Cuomo, who considered and passed on a bid for president in 1992.

The Siena College Research Institute poll was conducted November 26-29, with 822 registered voters in New York State questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3.4 percentage points.

by 2012 Poll Troll (2016 Poll Troll?)reply 812/06/2012

: )

by 2012 Poll Troll (2016 Poll Troll?)reply 112/06/2012

It's 4 years from now. I think Cuomo and Clinton will be almost tied in public support, BUT, as Chris Matthews has said, there will be a backlash from the majority if Clinton's 'time' is derailed again like in 2008. She's proven herself, and I doubt the Dems want a fight. I understand that we should do it democratically, and have the best person win the nom, but if no one else measures up to her, the party better not fuck it up. If Obama's final four years are a success, Hillary is our next president.

My god, could you imagine a black president, and then a female president after him in American history? There'd be no turning back. Anyone could truly become the leader of the US, not just some Christian, heterosexual, white guy.

All sources say that Clinton is officially running in 2016. I think if that wasn't true, she'd be drafted by the party in the end.

by 2012 Poll Troll (2016 Poll Troll?)reply 212/06/2012

If not Hills, will gladly take Cuomo or O'Malley from Maryland -- both Governors who advocated so strongly for our rights.

by 2012 Poll Troll (2016 Poll Troll?)reply 312/06/2012

Outside of New York and Maryland, Hillary is the only one of these folks who has a national profile so far.

by 2012 Poll Troll (2016 Poll Troll?)reply 412/06/2012

I do wonder though who the Republican Party will send to compete against her, a minority looking candidate (black or hispanic)?

by 2012 Poll Troll (2016 Poll Troll?)reply 512/06/2012

Except on the gay marriage question, Cuomo seems to be a fairly run-of-the-mill conservadem who looks to Wall Street for all his cues.

by 2012 Poll Troll (2016 Poll Troll?)reply 612/06/2012

No no no - we've got a good governor, let's keep him!

by 2012 Poll Troll (2016 Poll Troll?)reply 712/06/2012

We need a real progressive in 2016, someone far to the left of all these hacks.

by 2012 Poll Troll (2016 Poll Troll?)reply 812/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.