Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

High School English teachers are the pits

I spend about four hours a week correcting reports and letters and stuff for people who work for me becauase they don't have a clue where to place a comma ... hint: there is no rule JUST PUT ONE WHERE YOU WOULD TAKE A BREATH. grrrrrrr

And don't get me started on capitalizing words like - state, judge, university, etc... becuase you think they are improtant

or putting quotes around stuff for emphesis.

by Anonymousreply 3612/06/2012

As a high school English teacher, I have to say that comma/take a breath garbage is stuff they learn in sixth grade and for some reason any grammar that you shove at them never sinks in. If they are essentially illiterate, it is because they are designing CD covers and video games in middle school English classes when they should be diagramming sentences!

by Anonymousreply 112/05/2012

[quote] or putting quotes around stuff for emphesis.

You're a teacher? God help us all.

Oh and... Oh, dear.

There is a point to be made here, OP, but you are not sufficiently equipped to make it.

by Anonymousreply 212/05/2012

Correct spelling is very improtant, OP.

by Anonymousreply 312/05/2012

And I'm sure you always wear black shoes with your navy suits. AmaIright?

by Anonymousreply 512/05/2012

Not only can many people, but especially young people, not spell, they cannot write a sentence of proper grammar and can hardly spell their own names. Part of the problem is that no one reads anymore. Are there tests taken to make sure that before leaving or graduation from school one is basically proficient in reading, grammar and spelling? I think there ought to be speech classes incorporated into English classes to break everyone of the bad habit of uptalking as well.

by Anonymousreply 612/05/2012

Mom, I think I left a huge emphesis on the toilet seat. *sob*

by Anonymousreply 712/05/2012

OP, sounds like your staff should of studied more in school.

by Anonymousreply 812/05/2012

Should have, R8.

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2012

Go back to diagramming sentences. Why did they ever stop? It is getting increasingly frustrating working with the younger generation entering the workforce. Their subpar education makes more work for the rest of us. I spend my whole day editing junior level people's work.

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2012

The American Federation of Teachers has proposed a test, like the bar exams for lawyers, to qualify for educating our kids.

by Anonymousreply 1112/06/2012

"...where to place a comma ... hint: there is no rule JUST PUT ONE WHERE YOU WOULD TAKE A BREATH."

Try telling that to my History of Psych professor. She had know-it-all-itis and fancied herself an expert on grammar, among other unrelated topics. Took off points for minute punctuation errors, most of which were not even technically incorrect! Always irritated the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 1312/06/2012

"The pits"?

Are you 7,000 years old? Who talks like this?

by Anonymousreply 1412/06/2012

The English department at my college refuses to teach grammar because it's an arbitrary set of rules, and studies supposedly show it's unteachable. The representative of the college writing program has told us to read student writing respectfully and generously as personal narratives. Virtually all my students see writing as a form of self-expression rather than a means of communication. I've encountered college students who can't tell me what a preposition or a conjunction is. Grammar, like memorization, is out of vogue and condemned as rote learning. But the students are proficient at constructing powerpoints, filled with material they've pulled randomly off the internet.

by Anonymousreply 1512/06/2012

[R4] If you have spell check what happened here "professoinal".

by Anonymousreply 1612/06/2012

OP, why don't you get back to us when you're not putting extraneous dashes between preposition and object.

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2012

r15 - what college? I need to be certain that I never hire anyone who went there.

While there are definitely situations where grammar is secondary to communication, such as text messages, good grammar and punctuation are a requirement for good communication in formal situations.

I have neither the time nor paitence for people who believe that their self-expression is more imporant than effective communication.

by Anonymousreply 1812/06/2012

When I went to high school English teachers taught literature. Grammar is taught in grade school. With today's text messages and this tweet stuff I seldom understand anything. Language changes over time.

by Anonymousreply 1912/06/2012

What's with this idea that you put a comma wherever you take a breath? Nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 2012/06/2012

A friend who teaches math at a Bronx High school, questioned the chairman of English about the lack of skills kids have with grammar. She gave him the same type of response as r15. Wait til they get into the real world and have to write a letter on-the-job.

by Anonymousreply 2112/06/2012

"I have neither the time nor paitence for people..."

No time nor patience for spellcheck either, eh?

by Anonymousreply 2212/06/2012

I am 50 years old and have have gone back to school because I am aware of just how much my grammar has deteriorated over the years. It was scary how difficult it was to find a class that taught grammar, not "write however you speak".

( And yes, the repetitive "it was" in the sentence above drives me up the wall, but I don't know how to construct the sentence to get rid of it.)

by Anonymousreply 2312/06/2012

Good lord, we are doomed. OP is a fucking idiot, of course. But if it's true that basic grammar isn't being taught in grade school, and kids are being told just to put a comma where they take a breath, and there are colleges out there that think grammar is unteachable, we are truly doomed.

by Anonymousreply 2412/06/2012

[quote]It was scary how difficult it was to find a class

It was scarily difficult to find...

The death of the adverb is upon us.

by Anonymousreply 2512/06/2012

R25, That may be grammatically correct, but that wording actually sounds more like teenage girl speak than the way I wrote it. Also, that changes the meaning of the sentence. In your example, "scarey" simply becomes a variation of "very". (Which to my mind is similar to "very unique". For the most part, something is either difficult or it is not. Unless one is actually discussing degrees of difficulty the adverb is unnecessary.)

What is scary is not just the difficulty, but the difficulty in finding a class. Perhaps a better solution would have been to say, "The difficulty if finding a class...was scary."

by Anonymousreply 2612/06/2012

There are rules regarding comma usage. It is not simply a matter of placing one where you take a breath. Brenda Vaccaro alone blows up that theory.

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2012

Perhaps, as we live in a world where almost no one can properly define irony, the OP was deliberately giving us an actual example of the concept?

Or am I just being nice?

by Anonymousreply 2812/06/2012

I don't know. My high school English teacher was hot with lushly hairy pits. He also coached the basketball team, so he'd wear sleeveless jerseys. I'm sure some high school English teachers shave their pits, but mine certainly didn't.

by Anonymousreply 2912/06/2012

Holy crap. The OP should not be correcting ANYONE'S work. I do so hope that the OP is an intentional troll.

by Anonymousreply 3012/06/2012

I was an adjunct professor at a local college for a couple of semesters, and I was appalled by the shockingly low level of writing skills among the students. Aside from misspellings and the incorrect use of commas, the weird thing was that these kids made huge grammatical errors in writing that they would never make when speaking. Can anyone more knowledgeable than me please explain why that is?

by Anonymousreply 3112/06/2012

[quote]This is some loser blog

I think you need to learn the difference between a blog and a forum.

by Anonymousreply 3212/06/2012

I was smarter in the subject of English than all of my English teachers. I even had a better sense of spelling, grammar, and interpretive language than a few of my English professors.

This is not to say that I'm exceptionally brilliant. I actually mean to touch upon the seeming randomness of who gets to teach, who has a good grasp of language, and who does not. I don't even read for leisure, and I'm better at constructing a sentence than many who do read.

I do agree, though, that grammar school/middle school/high school English is beyond tedious. Many of the exercises are pointless for the majority, whether they understand the official rules of English or are baffled by them.

by Anonymousreply 3312/06/2012

[quote] I was smarter in the subject of English than all of my English teachers. I even had a better sense of spelling, grammar, and interpretive language than a few of my English professors.

Smell. You. Princess. Grace.

by Anonymousreply 3412/06/2012

Jesus, R34, did you read the paragraph after? What a drama queen.

I suck at math and there are many things I can't do. But that isn't relevant to this topic, is it?

Also, your punctuation is atrocious!

by Anonymousreply 3512/06/2012

[quote]they are improtant - or putting quotes around stuff for emphesis.

Jaysus Christus! Do some fucking proofreading!

by Anonymousreply 3612/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!