Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

DAvid Gregory was on Today this am wearing brown shoes

with his navy suit. WTF?

I thought these people had big time wardrobe budgets and even if they dont have a centilla of style sense, dont they shop places where someone shows them how to put it together

or have a consulatant to help them.

Nothing screams hick (or so broke I cant afford more than one pair of shoes and they are brown) like brown shoes with a navy suit.

by Anonymousreply 6612/08/2012

Fashion has evolved to the point where this is actually acceptable and can even look good.

Grow up, OP.

by Anonymousreply 112/05/2012

R1. Brown shoes with a navy suit is not acceptable.

Grow up yourself and learn to dress.

by Anonymousreply 212/05/2012

Are you sure they weren't reddish?

by Anonymousreply 312/05/2012

On-air talent often were shorts, thongs, or go Donald Duck since their job only requires they be on camera from the waist up.

Dint U no dat?!

by Anonymousreply 412/05/2012

R1 = embarrassed gayling who likes to think he is cutting edge but is laughed at by anyone who was not completely educated at public schools.

by Anonymousreply 612/05/2012

Actually, I'm not embarrassed. I do it all the time. My salary does not suggest that it's affected me in any adverse manner.

by Anonymousreply 712/05/2012

Esquire said it is OK

by Anonymousreply 812/05/2012

you have a "salary"? you sound poor R7.

by Anonymousreply 912/05/2012

R8. Esquire said nothing of the sort.

by Anonymousreply 1012/05/2012

Brown shoes are great with a navy suit. Very German chic.

by Anonymousreply 1112/05/2012

On the right guy (which Gregory is not), it can be a good look.

by Anonymousreply 1212/05/2012

It's true OP. It has become o.k. to do. I bet you still don't wear white after Labor Day, right?

by Anonymousreply 1312/05/2012

OP/r6/r9, please stop trying to impress with the incredibly feeble attempts at cuntiness.

You're clearly desperately trying to be enraging, but you're only being tedious.

by Anonymousreply 1412/05/2012

As long as the belt matches the shoes!

by Anonymousreply 1512/05/2012

One of my snootier "old school" friends always maintained that a gentlemen never wore black shoes before evening.

by Anonymousreply 1612/05/2012

I've read that there are black shoe towns and brown shoe towns. Brown shoe mostly midwest and south. When I was kid in the south, blue blood but not rich, brown or cordavan shoes were the thing. Black screamed Catholic or ethnic school boy. (Not WASP). We never wore those. Now, in Philadelphia, you tend to see whites in black shoes but African Americans in brown shoes (and black, too). Of course the only whites here are Catholic or Jewish.

I think the brown before dark and black after dark is a good rule.

And the belt MUST match the shoes.

by Anonymousreply 1712/05/2012

Agreed that the belt must match the shoes.

by Anonymousreply 1812/05/2012

um R5, R14, im not the one who is going to have the voice in the back of my head now wondering what else I do fashionwise is being whispered and laughed at behind my back... nite, toots!

by Anonymousreply 1912/05/2012

According to GQ's Style Guy:

[quote][bold]There are many older men who will go to the grave believing that wearing brown shoes with a navy suit is morally wrong.[/bold] Actually, it is wearing lighter brown shoes with a navy suit that is wrong. Your shoes should be at least as dark as your suit. If your brown shoes are of a darkness approaching black, you are okay. If they are tannish, the old man is right, and you should be banned from the executive washroom. There is nothing wrong with wearing black shoes with a navy suit, sir. Ask any admiral.

Are you an elder gay, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2012/05/2012

Brown with navy has been acceptable - and rather fashionable - for a long time. Get out of the Stone AGe, OP

by Anonymousreply 2112/05/2012

Brown shoes with a navy suit is unacceptable and unfashionable.

by Anonymousreply 2212/05/2012

just because a bunch of unbread twinks in public schools wear them and you see it doent make it "fashionable." It actually makes it common...

and did you READ the GQ post ass hat, who couldnt get past the word older... the post reads:

[quote] it is wearing lighter brown shoes with a navy suit that is wrong. Your shoes should be at least as dark as your suit... If they are tannish, the old man is right, and you should be banned from the executive washroom. There is nothing wrong with wearing black shoes with a navy suit, sir.

by Anonymousreply 2312/05/2012

[quote] There is nothing wrong with wearing black shoes with a navy suit, sir

Nor is there anything wrong with wearing dark brown shoes with a navy suit, sir

by Anonymousreply 2412/05/2012

not if you are going to a barn dance somewhere in Kansas... or you dont mind the whispers

by Anonymousreply 2512/05/2012

"unbread" must mean staying away from a carbohydrates.

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2012

OP, brown dress shoes are in fashion right now.

And wearing brown dress shoes with a navy suit is considered fashionable and in style right now.

One need only to look in fashion magazines or GQ or other men's magazines to know this.

by Anonymousreply 2812/06/2012

um tollina at r28, Brown dress shoes have been in fashion for decades, since the ninteenth century, really. They are not, nor have they ever been "in fashinon" with any color or any other style of clothing.

They may be "in fashion" with your crowd that can afford about 2 pair of shoes so you wear them with anything and think that somehow price, not taste, makes something "in fashion."

but the color wheel hasn't changed. It is... as you say, "in fashion."

by Anonymousreply 2912/06/2012

I don't care who says that brown shoes can be worn with a navy suit and that they're fashionable. They're not.

I navy suit calls for black shoes or maybe cordovan shoes...but not brown.

by Anonymousreply 3012/06/2012

All of the men's fashion magazines and men's magazines which contain fashion layouts have been showing brown shoes with navy suits and other colors of suits for over a year - probably at least two years.

R29, you do not know what you are talking about. So until you look at men's fashion layouts in magazines, be quiet because you are embarrassing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3112/06/2012

LOL@ R31. Sorry, you didnt grow up in a family where you had a role model for mens fashion and have to go to the grocery store and get a men's fashion magazine to figure out what classic style is.

Life is tough in Hooterville I guess.

But you can still see the latest stuff in the magazines.

by Anonymousreply 3212/06/2012

Brown shoes are the least of that hack's problems....

by Anonymousreply 3312/06/2012

[R32] My father was a farmer, he wore coveralls and my life has been richer for it. No I don't wear coveralls.

by Anonymousreply 3412/06/2012

Not only is it okay, but recent editions of GQ say that navy suits should always be paired with dark brown. This will probably change back soon enough, but that is the current recommendation (which NBC stylists surely follow)

by Anonymousreply 3512/06/2012

GQ, Spring 2011:

Always, Always Brown with Blue 1. Learn what every well-dressed European man knows: The best way to bring out the richness of your blue suit is with equally rich brown accessories. 2. A brown leather bag only gets better with age. 3. Brown dress shoes should be dark, like the color of coffee with just a touch of cream.

by Anonymousreply 3612/06/2012

There's nothing wrong with brown shoes with a navy suit just because OP seems to think there is.

by Anonymousreply 3712/06/2012

bwwwaaaaaa hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha

let's see. what would the shoe industry have to gain by selling as many shoes as possible and just declaring no rules and everything is fashionable so you can buy whatever they can sell.

by Anonymousreply 3812/06/2012

OP is still flinging his feces all around his little cage, I see.

Zookeeper, it's time to feed him!

by Anonymousreply 3912/06/2012

On a related note, best fashion story ever: Jackie O and Caroline were at a White House reception when Jack was president. Caroline asked Jackie "who is that gentlemen with the brown suit?" Jackie responded: "Dear, genatelmen don't wear brown suits."

by Anonymousreply 4012/06/2012

The classic rule of thumb is that from head to toe is light to dark with a shirt being in a light color like white while the shoes should be in the darkest color of the ensemble like black or brown.

But with the whole color blocking craze I am afraid the general rule of thumb is just relevant for business and formal wear.

And don't get me started on patterns where it's perfectly fine to wear more than two different patterns at once. Now that gets me in total MARY! mode.

by Anonymousreply 4112/06/2012

I'm too busy vomiting from the face.

He look like a cross between a llama and a chimpanzee.

by Anonymousreply 4212/06/2012

Scroll down for photos of Eddie Remayne in blue velvet suit with dark brown shoes at Les Miz premiere.

by Anonymousreply 4312/06/2012

Bet the carpet doesn't match the drapes either.

by Anonymousreply 4412/06/2012

44 replies and no one's called OP on centilla?!

by Anonymousreply 4512/06/2012

Dare I say I am often seeing a lighter brown shoe with a navy suit amongst the youngins these days.

by Anonymousreply 4612/06/2012

"dont have a centilla of style sense"

The word is scintilla.

We must break the chains of tyranny cause by trying to remain stylish.

by Anonymousreply 4712/06/2012

Of course it's fine. Very Italian. Charcoal grey suit with brown shoes is chic, too.

Go back to Men's Wearhouse OP.

by Anonymousreply 4812/06/2012

For OP

by Anonymousreply 4912/06/2012

From GQ

by Anonymousreply 5012/06/2012

I think OP should spend less time reading John T. Molloy and more time reading Noah Webster.

by Anonymousreply 5112/07/2012

Is this like micro centavo or a thousandth of a cent? I don't know if the sartorial error is as bad as this one.

I've actually seen this blue suit or pants with brown shoes a lot recently. I hope it's not something considered newly fashionable.

by Anonymousreply 5212/07/2012

Why don't you complain to NBC about his shoes. Try the Today Show facbook page, complain there too. You might feel better

by Anonymousreply 5312/07/2012

I understand the OP's compunctions but they are naive, backward and overly didactic. While it is true that ignorant people will mix the earth tones with the cool tones/black-and-gray neutrals without awareness, careful dressers are always free to mingle. I'm more appalled by men wearing the wrong shoe styles with a given suit or other outfit - not appalled by the look so much as by the loss of awareness of what shoes go with what kind of dress.

I think the origins of the brown-shoe/blue-or-gray-suit taboo stems most from the distinctions between country and city dress (with additional sub-disctinctions for day social, day business, and the range of evening and daytime formal/informal/casual. As for city/country wear, THERE'S a distinction no one heeds today. Not just color schemes but fabrics and cuts of clothing were dictated, and to mix them was a sign of the crudest gaucherie - the "hick" notion the OP attempts to convey. It is more an English concern, carried into the USA, than a broader European focus.

by Anonymousreply 5412/07/2012

You think black shoes are best with navy?

Not if you are a woman. Navy has to be worn with navy.

by Anonymousreply 5512/07/2012

You are quite wrong, OP. Go to Italy. You will NEVER see an Italian wear black shoes with a blue suit. Always brown. It's only stupid Americans who have somehow decided that you must wear black with blue. But it's just that: stupid. The rest of the world doesn't follow your ridiculous fashion advice.

by Anonymousreply 5612/07/2012

Matchy matchy is so 10 years ago, R55. I bet you still wear nude-y hose?

by Anonymousreply 5712/07/2012

I think you're on to something, R52. "Centilla" would be a good word for the cash value of a coupon.

by Anonymousreply 5812/07/2012

LOL@R56 who thinks Euro trash is elegante!

by Anonymousreply 5912/07/2012

It would never occur to me to wear black shoes with navy trousers. It looks like a Catholic boy's first holy communion outfit. Most men here in NYC wear brown shoes with navy.

by Anonymousreply 6012/07/2012

well, that shows who you are. R60. Kansas City Common.

by Anonymousreply 6112/07/2012

I'll say it again. Most men (professional men, that is. Not rubes who sell Amway or work at TGI Friday's) here in NYC do NOT wear black shoes with navy trousers.

by Anonymousreply 6212/08/2012

OP is unversed and needs to open his horizons. But getting nasty with him would be succumbing to his own shortcomings.

by Anonymousreply 6312/08/2012

The right brown shoes look great with the right navy suit (right being a relative term referring to the match between the shoes and the suit, of course). The wrong black shoes with the wrong navy suit are a disaster.

End of story.

by Anonymousreply 6412/08/2012

LOL @r59 who regards elegantly dressed Italian men as 'euro trash'. Obviously, the only trash here is you.

by Anonymousreply 6512/08/2012

A gentleman only wears black shoes after 7PM. For daytime wear, brown shoes are perfectly acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 6612/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!