Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Kelly Clarkson just got a Record of the Year Grammy nom

For "Stronger". Also in the same category are Taylor Swift with that annoying "Never Ever Getting Back Toghther" song, Gotye with "Somebody That I Used To Know" and somebody else that I've never heard of.

by Anonymousreply 2912/07/2012

fun. for "We Are Young"

Frank Ocean for "Thinkin Bout You"

Black Keys for "Lonely Boy"

Would have been a good group if they left T-Swizzle out of it.

by Anonymousreply 112/05/2012

No Lana del Rey for Best New Artist. So they can go fuck themselves.

(god, I hate the Grammies. no, I hate EVERY award show except the Oscars, the only one left with any integrity).

by Anonymousreply 212/05/2012

Damn, I think Frank Ocean is going to end up winning Album of the Year! Often that category is won by the one rock act or old-timer Jann Wenner favorite in the group because the bigger-name pop/rap/R&B nominees end up splitting the vote, but this year you've got Jack White, the Black Keys, Mumford and Sons, and fun. with Channel Orange as the only alternative to rock/guy with guitar music.

by Anonymousreply 312/05/2012

That stupid Gotye song is the most overhyped piece of annoyance in years.

by Anonymousreply 412/05/2012

A song titled after a cliche doesn't deserve to be nominated in this category. And I like Kelly too.

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2012

Can't believe that inane Taylor Swift song got nominated. It's like something your kid makes up in the back seat of the car during a long ride, making you wonder if abortion would have been the right choice, after all.

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2012

I'm surprised that Call Me Maybe got nominated for Song of the Year, but not Record of the Year.

If it had to be up for anything (and that's debatable) I'd think it would be for the production/mix of the record and not for songwriting.

Carly Rae was also not a new artist nominee, but she is not alone in that snub. She joins two notable acts that were complete studio/producer creations - One Direction and the previously mentioned Lana del Rey.

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2012

Beyonce won 16 Grammy awards.

Taylor Swift won 6 Grammy awards

The Beatles won 7 Grammy awards

Led Zeppelin won 1 Grammy award

..... Understand the Grammy Awards now????

by Anonymousreply 812/06/2012

Aww, it's a Grammy.

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2012

Carly Rae has been around for a while in Canada, right? Maybe she doesn't qualify for best new artist.

I love the lyrics of "Call Me Maybe." It's a very sexy song.

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2012

Taylor Swift will win all the Grammy awards.... again, because the American Music Industry has become the Teengirl Music Industry.

(and nobody has been able to prove, yet, that Taylors schlock is ghost written)

by Anonymousreply 1112/06/2012

Teen girls want to name the Grammys the Bieber-Swift awards.

(or for short, the "BS Awards")

by Anonymousreply 1212/06/2012

om nom nom.

by Anonymousreply 1312/06/2012

The New Comer of the Year tends to be a death sentence for artists

by Anonymousreply 1412/06/2012

Kelly Clarkson, love her or hate her, has a Grammy nomination because she can actually fucking well sing naturally.

I'd take Kelly Clarkson over Taylor Swift any day of the week in terms of pure pop singing.

by Anonymousreply 1512/06/2012

And Asslee Simpson is still scanning the papers trying to find her CD.

by Anonymousreply 1612/06/2012

Kelly Clarkson, um, she really sucks

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2012

I think I'd rather listen to Ashlee than Kelly. Kelly kind of filled the void left by Ashlee's musical departure by flooding the radio station with plodding, faux-emotional rock ballads. Yuck. Ashlee's voice is more interesting and less try hard (in my opinion).

by Anonymousreply 1812/06/2012

She really doesn't suck. The way her voice sounds on recordings is exactly what she sounds like live. She's fantastically talented but often selects poor material.

by Anonymousreply 1912/06/2012

Kelly Clarkson has no star quality and doesn't have a distinctive style to her singing or her image, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 2012/06/2012

I hate that fucking Goyte song.

by Anonymousreply 2112/06/2012

Me too, R21. That, "Call Me Maybe" and the abominable "Moves Like Jagger".

by Anonymousreply 2212/06/2012

Unlike a lot of today's stars, Kelly actually can sing.

by Anonymousreply 2312/06/2012

Try as they might to look "edgy" and "outre", the Grammy nominations often look as conservative as a Radio Disney playlist chart. They still haven't embraced true "indie" and have instead gone after the major label versions of it (Black Keys, Lumineers etc). I'd have been impressed if they had given some noms to different acts like Grimes, Jessie Ware, Purity Ring, Tame Impala or Alt-J. Not even a nod to indie/blog darlings like Azalea Banks or Sharon Von Etten.

Re: the Del Rey snub: my theory is that many in the "industry" did not like having her forced down their throats and the "SNL" meltdown only confirmed that.

by Anonymousreply 2412/06/2012

Alt-J put out the best indie record of the year. Totally agree, R24. I like the Black Keys, but they're the current Kings of Leon. (I do have an odd affinity for folk indie rock, so I do like The Lumineers...)

The Grammy's are the silliest awards this side of the People's Choice Awards.

by Anonymousreply 2512/06/2012

Madonna's crappy album was nominated for nothing, right?

by Anonymousreply 2612/06/2012

Maybe not but I like her better than the generic jingles singer Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 2712/07/2012

Madonna won best Electronic Album for Confessions on the Dancefloor a few years back. I bet she's pissed that she didn't get any nominations. Hopefully this will motivate her to actually release some nomination-worthy music.

by Anonymousreply 2812/07/2012

The last best Dance Recording Grammy was when Janet won for "All For You".

by Anonymousreply 2912/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!